Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

GET

hosed

SCOTT

WALKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Chief Lizard McConnell is about to speak.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

McConnell praises Trump

McConnell speaks. He calls it a “good morning for senate Republicans.”

He spoke with Nancy Pelosi, he said, and they discussed “ways forward.” “We’ll probably have a lot more dealings with each other in the future.”

“I want to thank the president. He was extremely helpful to us... he worked very hard and drew large crowds.”

Shut up you awful bootlicking nazi.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1060201592106835968

Otherwise known as 'hearings into obvious crimes'.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

now there's a spicy take

up with Mithraism! Down with the Nailed God!

I've always believed that the world would've been so much more fun with the Greek or Roman pantheons still around as major religions. Goat offerings, orgies, good-time stories and entrail reading - what's not to love?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

freedom OF religion doesn't mean freedom FROM religion, that's why we're putting up a statue of Jupiter hucking a thunderbolt while schlonging a chick outside of the state courthouse

You'll get sued by Dionysiac cultists tomorrow buddy. Equal representation or no representation.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Hilary Clinton, Tony Blair and Renzi to Europe: Close ur borders, it's what good centrists do.

quote:

Clinton was speaking in the quiet of her midtown New York offices, just before the midterm elections. She admitted to still being “absolutely dumbfounded” by her defeat, and reflected on the sudden appeal of combative, supposedly straight-talking candidates who, she said, spoke to people’s emotions, not their reason.

“Strength right now seems really attractive, and there’s not enough of an awareness, or reminders, about what that can lead to,” she said. “There is this tension. I don’t fully understand it. I think it’s as much psychological, maybe more than political, as to what people are yearning for. I mean, freedom is burdensome. It’s hard getting up and taking responsibility for yourself and trying to make all these decisions.”

[...]

“I think Europe needs to get a handle on migration because that is what lit the flame,” Clinton said, speaking as part of a series of interviews with senior centrist political figures about the rise of populists, particularly on the right, in Europe and the Americas.

“I admire the very generous and compassionate approaches that were taken particularly by leaders like Angela Merkel, but I think it is fair to say Europe has done its part, and must send a very clear message – ‘we are not going to be able to continue provide refuge and support’ – because if we don’t deal with the migration issue it will continue to roil the body politic.”

[...]

Clinton said policy had to be written in bolder colours than a 10-point plan. “The real challenge is how do you carry a big banner that says, we are for you. We are going to promote policies and pass laws that are going to help not just those at the top, which is the Trump agenda, but really permeate universally into society, so that you, as well as your neighbour, as well as the guy down the street are going to be better off.”

She ends the interview with a dilemma and a lament. “I’m all for having civil conversations, but if you don’t win elections you can’t change what is happening and get back those norms that have been established over so many years. Unfortunately the way that our press and politics and particularly social media operate now, people reward the most clicks, the most outrageous comments, toughness, strength. That’s what gets rewarded, and it’s heartbreaking to me”.
It's that kind of smart thinking that'll bring back the Democrats!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Why are these people considered centre left?

Because they love neoliberal capitalism but also (mostly) don't have a problem with gay people.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

It's good that every once in a while, Hillary Clinton will pop up out of nowhere and remind you of just how lovely she is. She'll never keep her head down and allow herself to be rehabilitated the way Bush was because she just can't shut the gently caress up. It's a good thing.

I'm still convinced she's running again in 2020.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LOL forever:

quote:

Manafort held secret talks with Assange in Ecuadorian embassy

Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort held secret talks with Julian Assange inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, and visited around the time he joined Trump’s campaign, the Guardian has been told.

Sources have said Manafort went to see Assange in 2013, 2015 and in spring 2016 – during the period when he was made a key figure in Trump’s push for the White House.

It is unclear why Manafort wanted to see Assange and what was discussed. But the last meeting is likely to come under scrutiny and could interest Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor who is investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

A well-placed source has told the Guardian that Manafort went to see Assange around March 2016. Months later WikiLeaks released a stash of Democratic emails stolen by Russian intelligence officers.

Manafort, 69, denies involvement in the hack and says the claim is “100% false”. His lawyers declined to answer the Guardian’s questions about the visits.

Manafort was jailed this year and was thought to have become a star cooperator in the Mueller inquiry. But on Monday Mueller said Manafort had repeatedly lied to the FBI, despite agreeing to cooperate two months ago in a plea deal. According to a court document, Manafort had committed “crimes and lies” on a “variety of subject matters”.

[...]

Manafort’s first visit to the embassy took place a year after Assange sought asylum inside, two sources said.

A separate internal document written by Ecuador’s Senain intelligence agency and seen by the Guardian lists “Paul Manaford [sic]” as one of several well-known guests. It also mentions “Russians”.

According to two sources, Manafort returned to the embassy in 2015. He paid another visit in spring 2016, turning up alone, around the time Trump named him as his convention manager. The visit is tentatively dated to March.

Manafort’s 2016 visit to Assange lasted about 40 minutes, one source said, adding that the American was casually dressed when he exited the embassy, wearing sandy-coloured chinos, a cardigan and a light-coloured shirt.

Visitors normally register with embassy security guards and show their passports. Sources in Ecuador, however, say Manafort was not logged.

Embassy staff were aware only later of the potential significance of Manafort’s visit and his political role with Trump, it is understood.

More in the full text:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/27/manafort-held-secret-talks-with-assange-in-ecuadorian-embassy

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

*Lionel Hutz voice*

"You see judge, it's not just legal, it's very legal and very cool"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was allegedly in those folders again?

His yuuge tax returns.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Every morning I check my phone hoping that a President died overnight. This morning I found out that one did, but not necessarily the one that I wanted.

Bush Sr. is like a bronze medal. I'll still take it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

AOC talking about the Green New Deal. God she’s awesome

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1070154040439377920?s=21

AOC for God Empress 2020

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

morning folks wait what's that

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1071021878884622338

gonna be a packed as gently caress news day

Milo is going to be the new CoS. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Guze posted:

Have you considered the possibility that the President is a giant moron?

I don't know how anyone can come to any other conclusion.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1071056294046507008

doot doot doot

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Or maybe May doesn't cancel.

Different parts of the UK gov't are saying different things right now.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Can't say I feel any great sympathy for noted lovely corporation, Apple.

Agreed. Huaiwei and Apple can fight each other to death so far as I'm concerned.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

PewDiePie is both a Nazi and a professional Let's Player.

How the gently caress is anyone rallying to him?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

What were the 5.000.000 Benghazi hearings and 800 repeal Obamacare votes then? gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

eke out posted:

people barely even bother retweeting and complaining about this type of wall stuff, it's basically white noise that no one actually gives a poo poo about because he's lied about it for so long so consistently

I think he's just run out of new ideas; it's all fallbacks and "hey I got popular on wall rhetoric, let's do that again".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

What the hell do they (anyone) want May to do? I'm not well educated on her politics, but Brexit just seems like a disaster. What is or isn't she doing that she could be doing better?

Even "no deal" means a lot of deals need to be made for the country to function with other countries.

I find it fascinating, but don't really understand the details. Someone please explain it to me as if I'm a dumb idiot who's country elected a game show host as president.

Brexit is a disaster and was, for decades as well as during the referendum, sold as a sort of weird panacea to all of the UK's structural problems, most of which were caused by the Tories in the first place.

Now that the rubber has hit the road and it turns out that Brexit will actually make most things worse, there's no more answers to be had; May's still desperately trying to pretend that her poo poo Brexit deal is the unicorn panacea, even though anyone who can read can see that it isn't the case.

Never pity her though; she volunteered for the job and was already scheming to take over from Cameron even before the referendum - plus she was an invisible Remainer during the campaign. gently caress her.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Thanks for all the answers, y'all.

Assuming the best answer is "No brexit", what has to happen to get there?

Who in gently caress's name knows. You could have a new referendum (binding or advisory) that puts 'no Brexit' up against May's deal (or No Deal gently caress You) but the current government would need to legislate to get one, and they never will.

You could have a general election, but the current government would have to lose a vote of no confidence first. And then you'd need to assume that Labour would campaign for, and deliver on, a new referendum as legislation. And it's not sure they will, could, or should.

Also, all this needs to happen before March 29 2019 when the UK just straight up leaves due to the legal procedures put in place regarding leaving the EU.

To prevent that, you'd need the current government to send a letter to the EU kindly asking for more time while they fight (yet another) general election on Brexit, or have another (non-binding) Referendum.

The most likely answer is praying to mighty C'thulhu. That could do it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not even. ECJ guidance last week made it clear that the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50.

Revoke, yes. Asking for an extension on their homework, no. For that, they do actually have to send a polite note to teacher Barnier.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Not a bad way for thinking about Brexit and UK party politics is like this: you can 'win' Brexit or the next election, but not both. Choose one.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

At least that was really really funny though.

So is this. I don't know what's the matter if you're not in tears over how dumb this all is.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Am I correct that the issue is more complex because the Leave voters are spread across the traditional political spectrum?

Remain and Leave voters are split between the two parties, neither of which can afford to piss off that half due to district voting and first past the post.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tories were 2:1 Leave and have trended further in that direction since, while Labour were 2:1 Remain and have also gone more that way since. So yeah, it's not exactly halves, but neither can afford to piss off such large segments, at least without having been seen to :effort:

Yeah, plus those 1/3rd are (I think) very regionally located; like if Labour went hard remain most of their Northern strongholds would be immediately in huge danger of turning Tory, and there's no guarantee you can make that up in the South somewhere.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

just lmao at ireland in this whole disaster.

like what do they expect to happen between ireland and n ireland?

Nobody knows.

The essence is that the Good Friday Agreement (you know, the thing that stopped generations of Irish people from killing each other) states that there can be no hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic. A No Deal Brexit would deliver that hard border.

It's been one of the EU's hard lines throughout all this - that the GFA is respected whatever happens. The easiest way to do that would be to install a customs border in the Irish Sea, but then you're de-facto breaking up the territorial integrity of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Plus, May's government is dependent on 10 absolutely crazy, anti-abortion nutters from the Ulster Unionist party, and they don't want a customs border between them and England.

There's really all flavours of madness.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

The correct answer is that it never occurred to anyone that NI was hosed until about a year after the whole thing started. Like, none of the Leave campaigning mentioned the Irish border at all. Then all of a sudden, someone realised that the Good Friday Agreement pretty much stops working if the UK leaves the EU.

The Irish thing is really fundamental because it's exactly where the question over trade, borders, custom checks, territorial integrity etc. become real. There's no loving around there.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Every fresh produce transit from NI to Rep and vice versa gets turbofucked as they cant afford to be held up by border checks when they are running this stuff back and forward 10+ times a day

There's literally farms with land that crosses the boundary and roads that skip back and forth for like 200m in one country and then the other.

The only people Brexit looks like it might be really, really good for is disaster capitalists and Irish smugglers. Not that that's led to any kinds of problems in the past.

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Democratic Unionist Party, of course. the UUP are a much milder flavour of regressive dipshits.

Yeah, my bad.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Imagine if Nicola Murray from The Thick of It was a Tory instead of Labour, just as incompetent, but also extremely racist.

And in favour of punishing the poor and disabled to the point of suicide.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

What about the welsh in all of this?

I think they voted like 80% to stay but they have a different constitutional arrangement with England than the Scots do, so they're pretty much bound to do whatever London tells them.

(Happy to be corrected on this one)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is this like the ceremonial gun in thunder ball games?

The Mace represents the authority of Elizabeth II in Parliament - if it's not there, the meeting is not lawful and must be disbanded.

However, when the Parliament discusses finance bills, the Mace is placed under the table.

(Seriously)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I don't even doubt this. My soul is willing to believe.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

@thread: who would you rather have as Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer or Joe Manchin?

I'll take 'heat death of the universe' behind door number three, please.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Melania can do whatever she wants with her hair, of course. But that really is a terrible dye job, and I'll bet her hair feels like hay now

She's running.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Katt posted:

Trump would have taken two shoes between the eyes and then raised his hands up defensively all "nya! eh!"

Why doesn't the Fake News investigate how many shoes were thrown at Crooked Hilary Clinton?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Truly, historians will look back in 20 years, point at Nick Cohen and say 'blessed are the peacemakers, for they go to prison for lying their rear end off'.