Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Judgy Fucker posted:

I get the feeling some hammers are coming down all over the forums, and USPol was the first one. It was first because it would cause the least friction.

People who had never posted in the thread came in just to go after someone who did post regularly.

You are right. I have been informed that Jeff is moving ahead with some plans to eliminate "containment threads" in general across the forum and stopping the practice of sending "bad" threads to CCCC to be unmoderated.

Not sure what the Helldumping thing is referencing specifically. I think maybe referring to the Mellow Seas pile up and someone mentioning his dead family member?

Weed chat, memes, youtube, and all that jazz are fine here.

I've also been told to stress that people should not be organizing crossforum posting or brigading. But, pretty much all discussions are fine and most of the general D&D rules don't apply. They might re-open a new thread with an IK and some rules about cross-forum posting and harassment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in general, what sites people use to grab recipes from? im following serious eats, budget bytes, and Kenji's youtube. sometimes like random spruce, epicurious, or the nyt recipes. ive heard good stuff about cooks illustrated and americas test kitchen, so maybe i should just try that. in particular the latter, since i really like serious eats older writing style where they're like "ok we tried 85 risotto episodes, and to finish this off we'll try to make the latvian risotto using only potatoes, bacon, and sour cream"

I usually just say, "Alexa, how do I make tater tots?" and follow the directions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I've never actually eaten at an Arby's before.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

the gyro is way better than it has any right to be, and also lmao of course you haven’t

I don't think they are Kosher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinnlos posted:

It is simply impossible for people to not purchase the game that gives money to the biggest shitlib transphobe in earth, where they get to play as a child soldier fighting a literal race war against the (((bankers))).

Didn't she license the Harry Potter name and not actually own the publishing studio? If so, then she already got paid.

I kind of thought Harry Potter peaked like 10 years ago and wasn't as popular anymore + they made a bunch of Harry Potter video games already. Is there a reason this one is getting a lot of attention that the movies and previous games did not? Or is it a Twitter thing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Unpopular Opinion: Except for the dumb idea of not making Estus Flasks a standard thing and using the consumable healing orbs for a large chunk of the early game, Dark Souls 2 is very good and better than 1 in many ways.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1623359127396179968

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pirate Radar posted:

My gf’s mom gave us an air fryer recently so we’ve just been throwing stuff into that to see what comes out good

Are they worth it? Heard a lot of hype about them, but not sure if we should pull the trigger. Are they easier/better tasting that standard cooking?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I will post my secret shame: For about 15 years, from 1998 to 2013, I could not tell the difference between Anna Paquin or Anne Hathaway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

The :qq: about USPol being full of bullies and driving people out is still funny when you look at the poo poo that goes through clear. Stay classy. It's all just hollow when D&D has a pathological liar mod who gets a hall pass to treat people horribly.

Fritz is fine. Roleplaying as a horse is not lying. It's just being in character.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BRJurgis posted:

Trivia talk included some "How about those Republicans at the SotU, they must be so embarassed Biden made them promise not to try to cut social services."

How is anybody in my sphere and still being like "can you believe these Republicans? Good thing dems finally thwarted em for good."

Mom, nobody who likes Jewish space lasers woman is going to change their mind about her because of the state of the union.

Also we came in dead last. NFL, new TV shows, and celebrity birth dates sunk us. I just start drawing dinosaurs on the tablecloth when those are the questions. Rawr motherfuckers.

Sounds like your crew needs to organize some NCIS: Las Vegas and Monday Night Football parties. The important thing is having fun.

Don't draw on your restaurant's tablecloth, though. You're a strange bird, BR.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The first person who recommends a good CRPG you can play on PC that I have not played before will get a free AV.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

g'morning, someone convince me to work this lunch shift

Don't do it. It's Super Bowl Friday. Ask for a religious exemption.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

i just wanna weed and play tome today

What is tome?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zachack posted:

Bad Blood.

Or at least 12 year old me remembers it as good.

It's from 1990 and only runs in DOS. :(

Probably not going to put in the effort to see if there is an emulation of the game out there somewhere and a DOS virtual machine/emulator that will work with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Okay, I'll try to set it up and see if it is good.

Zach, if you want a new AV, then post what you want in here or just wait to cash it in later.

Anyone else can still recommend CRPGs. Preferably those made in the last 20 years that I can just purchase or pirate.

Divinity Original Sin II was the last game I got really into (and had the time to be in to), so it has been quite a few years. But, I also tried basically every other CRPG similar to DOS 2 and haven't found anything close to as good as that was.

I played Baldur's Gate 2 a lot 20 years ago and am eagerly awaiting Baldur's Gate 3, but nothing else is on my radar and Baldur's Gate 3 has been in development for almost 4 years now and it is killing me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Has anyone tried a shredded memory foam pillow before?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My old pillow was an 80/20 feather/down that was made by a company that is no longer in business. I've been holding on to it forever, but it is starting to die and not hold like it did before.

I can't find another pillow that feels like it. Most places don't even sell 80/20 feather pillows anymore and the couple I have tried don't feel like the old one. Someone recommended the shredded pillow, though. I've never tried one.

Lib and let die posted:

I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a pillow because my greasy wop head ruins them in a matter of nights, pillowcase be damned

Same. I've already tried and returned two, but get nervous/annoyed about trying new ones over and over or dropping any serious money on them.

selec posted:

I sleep like a baby no matter what kind of pillow I have or even if I have one or not.

My wife is the same way and I am jealous.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm also a stomach/side sleeper, which is apparently rare (stomach) or hard to find a pillow that doesn't either give you back pain or feel too firm like a rock (side).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm also a stomach/side sleeper, which is apparently rare (stomach) or hard to find a pillow that doesn't either give you back pain or feel too firm like a rock (side).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I had a waterbed in the 90's and regret getting rid of it. It was legitimately one of the best mattresses I have ever had. It was just very uncomfortable to perform marital duties and was always teetering on the edge of disaster if it sprung a leak on the second floor.

I will have to do some research on water pillows.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Leon, it sounds like we have similar crpg tastes. Icewind Dale is no BG2 but it scratches the itch a little bit for me.

Planescape Torment has an incredible story, but is handicapped by some lovely gameplay.

Both worth checking out if you haven't.

selec posted:

Disco Elysium has made the efforts of every other similar RPG into children’s stories written in crayon, and I say this as a huge Baldur’s Gate fan. Those are products for children, and DE made a product for thinking adults.

I've played Disco Elysium and Planescape. Planescape was like 20 years ago and I was bored by the gameplay. Might be worth a retry. Good suggestions, though!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

Okay, fine.

You've played BG2, but you don't say if you've played the isometric, PROPER :argh: Fallouts. Fallout 2 is fine to start on its own, believe it or not its GUI actually has more creature comforts than Fallout 1. Fallout 1 is a more stream-lined whole and has less wacky late 90's humour, but 2 is bigger and has more stuff in.

The Baldur's Gate, erm, mid-quel (?), Siege of Dragonspear, is OK from what I hear, it plays more like BG2 but on rails, there's a lot of challenging combat encounters and such. And if you're not too hell-bent on a big major plot, there's always Icewind Dale (1), it's more of a linear dungeon romp in the BG2 Enhanced Edition engine.

In the other direction, there's Planescape: Torment, it's a very... Interesting game, and you can really role-play in that one. If you ever wanted to be an actually evil, awful to the core rotten bastard instead of a caricature of evil just kicking puppies for fun, this is the game for you. Or alternatively, if you like to ponder about the nature of existence and what our past deeds mean for ourselves, this is also the game for you.

If you don't mind turn-of-the-century-jank, there's Arcanum. The game-play is busted as hell (as in imbalanced, play a wizard if you try it and get the level 1 evil necromancy spell, you've just won the game), but there's a lot of amazing world-building, and you can even take sides in the industrial revolution and workers' rights! Also there's dwarves and elves. Just, uh, don't look too deep into what the gnomes are up to, that particular plot thread has some unfortunate subtext :ohdear:

Maybe not exactly a full-blown RPG, but Star Control 2 or the re-make Ur-Quan Masters is a fun romp through a zany galaxy undergoing a world galaxy portion war.

I never got very far in Tyranny, but I hear good things?

edit: all of this except Star Control is on Steam

Tyranny was kind of neat. They don't have a traditional good and evil moral system that was a lot of fun.

I've played the rest except for Siege of Dragonspear and Arcanum. Mid-century jank is a bit of a turnoff, though.

Never heard of Star Control or Ur-Quan, but they aren't RPGs? Are they action/sims? Edit: Nevermind, I've looked at their wiki pages and know what you mean now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I tried to do that before and everyone decided that they couldn't trust each other and Marx's dream of a classless thread dissolved.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have been granted all of this posting power, yet i can't even do something as simple as return volkerball from the land of the dead

truly there are no posting gods

if only you had made the death of uspol stick, i feel like we might not have come to this

I don't really remember if Volkerball had more serious infractions, but the post he was perma'd for was pretty mild and in the old chat thread.

Looks like it was also by Party Plane Jones, R. Guyovich, and FactsAreUseless in their purges. Maybe PM Jeff to see if he will consider it.

Unless he had some other egregious offenses, then I think he has a case.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is that $1 billion Amazon LOTR TV show worth watching if you only have maybe an hour or so a week to devote to it and you are a medium LOTR fan at best who mostly just liked the movies, read The Hobbit and part of the Silmarillion 20 years ago, and never saw the Hobbit movies?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

Watch the Game of Thrones spin-off instead. You're in for a treat. If by treat you mean "old man doing his best to make everyone happy and it all falls apart", but, you know.

I liked GOT a lot, but the last season and part of season 7 were pretty meh.

Should I actually watch House of the Dragon? Is the season over and we can watch the whole thing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

It ends in a cliff-hanger, SPOILER ALERT, but it's a very good show and doesn't do any of that... Stupid stuff with the later seasons of GoT. Look man I can't spell this out much further without spoiling it, it's a good show, it has great actors doing good work, and there's Matt Daymon! You will love it.

Cool. Thanks.

My next job is convincing the wife to go for it. She liked GoT, but wasn't super interested in the spinoff (neither was I to be fair).

I tried to make the case for West World as our next show, but it was her turn and I failed to convince her away from Bridgerton.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The movie "About Time" is really underappreciated. Most people I know have never even heard of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

has anyone seen my jacket? i think i left it here

It's really warm. You barely need one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BRJurgis posted:

I think the conversation has moved on in USCE, but what does one call oneself if they recognize none of the better things can be built in their lifetime, and more than likely dying to make way for said better things is the best they can hope for (if they insist on hoping for better things *gestures at climate change*).
Like, destruction bad creation good is a pretty commonly held belief, but if one recognizes that what we have is unacceptable and all avenues of reform are laughable, what can they call themselves but a comic book supervillian?

Sounds like either depression or "Joker is actually a super profound movie, dude" syndrome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Fifth Element was also historic because it started the decades long trend of Luc Besson and Paul W.S. Anderson making a movie and casting their current wife/girlfriend in the movie and forcing the scriptwriter to write new long explicit nude scenes or rape scenes starring them.

I think literally every single one of their movies from 1992 through 2006 included Milla Jovovich or Anne Parillaud doing inexplicable nude scenes in the middle of a movie that otherwise had none.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t agree with it but I don’t think it needs to be classed as a symptom of something, or as… whatever the second thing is.

It's a joke because the Joker spawned a bunch of people who said it awakened the inner nihilism in them.

If you want to read thousands of words from a 17-year old explaining how they finally have it all figured out, then search "Joker Philosopher" or "Fight Club" on Reddit or Letterbox.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Palahniuk was right about some things, and an incredible retard on a lot of things. "The things you own end up owning you" is something that I took from Fight Club, but the book would have been so much better and way less red-pilly than it ultimately ended up being. Palahniuk is a fascinating living study on how someone can both understand materialism and class struggle but still take a hard right turn into "the problem is that the traditional male role of strength has been erased in the modern world"

The book isn't red pill-y. It's the opposite and about toxic masculinity ruining your life.

Many many people just took the extremely wrong message away.

The whole point of the book and movie is that Tyler Durden is bad and wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Does anyone else find it weird that everyone has seen millions of adult pigeons, but nobody has ever seen a baby pigeon in the wild?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

I know you are doing a bit, but

Sounds like bullshit to me.

If Doctor Charles Walcott is telling the truth and he's seen them tons of times, then why didn't he take a picture with them?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

There are several threads for cute animal pictures in PYF

How many have Doctor Charles Walcott?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

let's all argue about what an isekai is next

or an alignment chart, that's always fun

hey is this a sandwich

What is an isekai?

Like, literally what is it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've seen one, they're ugly as gently caress. but then again finding nests is part of my job

the thing that scares me is where do the seagulls go after dark? i haven't done a lot of work on shore birds, but i've never heard of a gull nest, nor seen a single feather of 'em after sunset. where the gently caress do they go?

I'm assuming they hang out at some all-night diner that serves fries and pizza crusts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

usually an even more blatant power fantasy above and beyond other genres in a medium known for power fantasies

the good ones are some mixture of "if i didn't have this crushing corporate job and societal pressure i would just live a simple life farming" and "i would use my knowledge and skills to effect a positive change on my surroundings". the bad ones are some mixture of "if i was taken out of this mundane life i would be freed from my shackles and show the world my superiority" and "i would have a harem of sex slaves"

Okay.

That is a discussion so common it is equivalent to "is a hotdog a sandwich" to some peeps?

Seems like a pretty clear-cut definition? Also, a weird topic to be constantly arguing with people about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone who is a lawyer just emailed me and asked me to "send over a clean copy" of a 118-page document I made because it "has track changes on it" and my several emails (with pictures) of how to turn track changes off were too complicated. So, they want me to manually go through and remove all the track changes info because it is on by default in their version of Word.