Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Yadoppsi posted:

Are people playing the Monarch's Journey challenges yet? As long as King Konan's dynasty is around its easy to blob for the territory but I'm finding it hard to sire enough sons and kill William of Normandy's kids before Konan dies.

How are y'all doing at it?

You can kill William's descendents past your first character's life, so you have like 400 years.

Kids I chose seduction and just brought in a ton of <20 YO courtiers and got to it.

The land one is difficult...I have everything on the continent but will need to figure out how to grab southern England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I want to do the new Monarch's Journey, but I probably won't have any time to play this week. Will I still be able to do it next week after the 3rd one comes out?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Something that's been bugging me in the dev diaries and in general is referring to levies as peasants. This is not only wrong, it's literally the inverse of how the feudal system worked. Lords had an obligation to protect their peasants: this is what gave them the right to rule them. Needing the peasants to fight undermines this right, as if a lord can't protect you, why give him x% of your wool and grain every year? It's like how people are realizing that CEOs don't actually create value proportional to their cost during COVID: you try to keep that idea out of people's minds as much as possible if you're part of the ruling class.

Since I'm not a pissbaby I'm going to consider them just light infantry with a low upkeep.

I'll have a #3 with Coke.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

The way I read it, it didn't sound like that was possible. If techs are inherently cultural, then your kingdom only has its culture's techs.

(Of course, what culture your kingdom is is another question. I guess most likely it's just the King's.)

I'm wondering how this will all work out with culture changes. Will they come back if I revert to the previous culture (e.g. I'm of culture A, I switch to culture B, my heir is still culture A). Will changing cultures be able to screw a player over? (not that that would be a gamebreaker--just an extra challenge and something to be aware of).

I'm sure there's been thought put into it, but I'm curious what happens if I start a new culture, or the Lombard->Italian or Frankish->French change happens. Do I retain the previous techs?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Looks like you just change over and have access to the different techs (whether that's more, fewer, or just different).

From their forum:

It does seem a little awkward, unless they make character cultural conversion particularly difficult to accomplish.

edit: Yeah

So it sounds like it will be more of a penalty than in CK2? That could be more reasonable.

re: peasants: I know it won't be a perfect match, and it makes sense for a peasant revolt to be all LI-equivalent, but the dev diary on war:

"Levies in Crusader Kings 3 are made up of their own unit type, simply called Levy. These are essentially conscripted peasants forced to do your bidding and are not very impressive on their own."

is a little misleading. I'm 100% comfortable that there isn't a perfect way to model all forms of armies through 600 years, but to quote some David Sturdy guy from wikipedia (I'm not a trained historian for this era):
"The persistent old belief that peasants and small farmers gathered to form a national army or fyrd is a strange delusion dreamt up by antiquarians in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries to justify universal military conscription."

Preordered Royal Edition. Will play for 20 hours straight.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I'm going to buy a desktop for CK3--first non-laptop in >15 years. Can anyone point me to the 'buy a computer' thread? I'm not really interested in making my own, but some modularity would be nice (also I don't want one that looks like a transformer--can I just get a black or grey box without flashing chevron lights?).

Thanks! \/

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 22, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Maybe in CK3 they can go more than three years without a major rebellion. I feel like they are the only nation that is in a constant state of rebellion when I check in on it.

I’m wondering if they’ll blob more than they do now, or if cultural mechanics will keep it in constant civil war. I’m very, very excited to see the cultural mechanics.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Arbite posted:

Turns out you can get rid of Imperial Elective as the Byzantines. The patriarch made me go gavelkind as penance so now everyone loves me and my one son now more than ever!

God drat. Time to break out the paint buckets.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I’m sure it would be a huge pain in the rear end, but I think it’d be neat to have the transition from regent to ruler handoff be much more disputed. Like if a content regent who liked the previous ruler gave way to a success-son at 16 was the minimum, have a ambitious regent have to have their filthy claws forcibly removed from an average (or even dull) ruler into their early 20s be a maximum. Maybe even leading to a civil war. Could lead to interesting outcomes.

I just played as a hater ruler (went North Korea mode to consolidate absolute county-level ownership of a super duchy when I hit 70) lead to my semi-qualified daughter as heir, who survived a regent who was more than -30 opinion for 5+ years before she took over and was able to mend relationships. Seemed like a ripe time for someone to dispute the succession.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure the Game of Thrones mod has a mechanic where a regent can rule indefinitely by basically declaring the ruler incompetent no matter their capabilities.

drat, I wish I had known. After a >40 hr binge last week I ended up getting a job, so I’m probably waiting on 3 at this point. I’m mostly Ironman-only, as well, so I’d want it as an integrated system. Thanks for the rec, though—if 3 isn’t great out of the gate I’ll check it out.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ilitarist posted:

So my only playthrough of GoT was right. I was Littlefinger, became spymaster of a kingdom and forced my way into a position of a designated regent. I wanted to get rid of current king and wondered if I can usurp throne afterwards. But then I died of stress.

Hope CK3 implements some of those court intrigue as well as better stress mechanics. Current systems make your council too docile, all it can do is stop you from doing things, never force or even ask to do anything.

Agreed. I feel like I’m still ruling over a bunch of people who only somewhat limit what I’m able to do. I remember my first regency where I was scared as hell about the council completely loving me over: giving away my duchies or at least provinces, backing claims, etc. Instead it was...’oh I guess I can’t do x for y years. I guess I’ll stockpile cash. And when I’m 16 I’ll have +z due to long reign. Neat.’

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Good gravy reading that diary brought my computer to its knees, I think the particle effect might have a memory leak or something. Really thought that would've been fixed by now.

I tried reading the dev diaries on my phone and could see the power dropping by 1% every 30 seconds or so. Easy solution, right? Reader view!

Sometimes the reader view gives their disclosure on cookies, instead.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Since it looks like troop numbers may be smaller, has there been any word about what # or % of troops will be required to hold a conquered castle/town/church?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

All I want from Civ is a remastered Alpha Centauri with updated textures, resolutions, interface and controls

after that they can do whatever they want

I was like 13 when I had this and sucked rear end at it, but I have fond memories of AC.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

JustaDamnFool posted:

Talking about executions, I hope they add more events in for specfic events like executions, weddings, and funerals. These big events provide tons of oppotunities for drama, but in CK2 they often happen without you even noticing.

I'm finishing up Rabelais (set a little after when CK2 ends) and I guess it used to be a thing where you would hit someone at a wedding so that they'd remember the lady getting married isn't single anymore (along with the start of a new month, other things that someone needed to remember).

In the book they pretend there's a wedding in order to beat someone up and have everyone else stealthily put on gauntlets before the hitting begins. Maybe a mod could incorporate a comical fistfight at every wedding? Just plug in the Grand Tournament "x was maimed!" "y was killed!" script.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Right now they are approving goons so you don't have to pay the $10 sign up fee.

Any info on this?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Since people have hopes for Republics in CK3, when they're eventually introduced, allowing for female rulers, what would the female equivalent of the "Patrician" title be? "Matrician" doesn't sound quite right to me.

Could just keep Patrician, like that Empress in China who used Emperor as her title. Don't like it? You'll be meeting my large adult sons in the street soon.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Holy Toledo!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

So what's the consensus on CK3 from the dev diaries etc?

Cool and good.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

What do the files say that shutting the gates does? I usually do it, anyway, but I’m curious and don’t have the skills to read the files.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Coolguye posted:

A lot. Do you have a more specific question? Sorry if that sounds rude, I genuinely don’t mean to be, it’s just too much to summarize in a succinct single post.

No worries, I'm not 100% sure what I'm asking for either, just curious about general rules. Would you be able to post the code by any chance? My tech misunderstanding is mostly getting into the code.

For example: Say I have a ruler that I want to keep alive. By lowering the gates, what are the odds of a courtier coming down with whatever disease (positive or false positive)? Are they independent rolls based on how many people I have in my court? Is false positive based on something like my physicians' wisdom?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Neurion posted:

I have a feeling that a lot of that is probably hard-coded, and not in the moddable text files.

Ah, okay. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's much harder to view the hard-coding files? I'm hopefully jumping to CK3 on launch, so I decided now's the time to figure out the foolish mistakes I've been making in CK2 by not understanding some of the more complex mechanics at the meta level (I've never been a map painter, so I usually go with what feels right for my character).

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Thanks for writing that up. That answered pretty much all of the questions that I wasn't able to articulate.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, same. The only thing I'm missing from CK2 is societies, and even then I'm not missing them too much.

I'm sad about this, but I'm hoping that feudal contracts, finding hooks and landing dynasty members make up for it on the passing-time portions of the game.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

baw posted:

just watched a video about jesters and i hope ck3 has Realistic Jesters. apparently they were the only ones who were allowed to insult nobility and therefore kings often went to them when they needed an honest opinion about something :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7F5ioUQLJc

If you're interested in learning more, see if you can track down Clowns by John H. Towsen. It's like $70 used on Amazon now, but maybe a local library has it?

Basically, the jester was outside of the social hierarchy, and so was not a threat to anyone within it. The jester called you an imbecile? Who cares, he's a nobody and now my opinion has changed upon reflection, with NO INPUT WHATSOEVER from anyone.

E:FB /\

Edit: I wonder how often the jester was used to launder the opinions of other powerful people? Like Duke Fuckington could tell the jester to tell the King x,y,z? The King could understand that the jester's word is what vassals are realllly thinking, but this way he isn't contradicted in public, saving the feudal relationship. Jews, after all, were used to launder money taken as interest from loans.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 13, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I think I have a solution: make the jester more predominant on the ruler screen the higher the centralization of the territory, indicating the necessity of the jester facilitating court protocol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 13, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Are they finished with dev diaries? They seemed to be every week, but the last one was 6/30.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I think it's normal for them to stop for the month of July due to holidays at the company. Possibly part of August too.

Oh, that's great, then. One of these days I'm going to live in a real country. Thanks!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Anyone else pumped AF to wear the poo poo out of that princess hat?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

those portraits are incredible, they've inspired me to actually try the monarch challenges. can i go back and do all the ones i've missed? which ones are particularly worth it?

Yes--you can go back and do them still. Going to spoiler for some easy to grab points below, although I can say that I really enjoyed the first 4 scenarios (had more time to complete them, I think), especially the 3rd one: Saad Mordechai, High Chief of Baghdad (ended up making an iron man game and playing through end of game starting with him after finishing the Monarch Journey). Remember that you don't need to accomplish all of the goals in a single game, so you can cheese some of the easy ones such as have x number of kids, x number of [building], etc. Some easy to grab points here:

Harald IV Hårdråde, King of Norway is basically a standard 'win the English invasion' scenario, so you may already be familiar with the starting points.

Konstantinos II, Doux of Samos has a have x number of children goal, so take up seduction and get down to it.

Arwa Sulayhid, Sultana of Yemen was pretty easy to get 2 of the 3 goals (the survive 100 years one has been hard for me).

Shajar al-Durr, Queen of Egypt you can kill some people pretty quickly for a few free points.

Basarab I, King of Wallachia (the last one before the current Monarch's Journey) gives you level 2 of one of the challenges for starting the game, so grab some free points there.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Technowolf posted:

The Wallachia one is super easy to do. I got two golds and a silver while being screwed by the HRE tributarying everything west of me.

Oh, that reminds me--the Armenia one was bugged when I did it and I got credit for 75 years independent after swearing fealty to the neighbor to the north on Anatolia. You can slowly take over counties/duchies from within to get the 8 provinces for the points, and for Mongols liking you I invited a bunch of Mongols to court and bribed them after getting the other 2 golds for an easy 3rd.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Arbite posted:

Remember, she doesn't start with all of Yemen and the count doesn't begin until she has it all.

I’m able to get it, but then I get clobbered and lose independence :(

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

With Gavelkind, can you land your brothers early to cut them out of the rest of the inheritance?

For example, I have a duchy I'm not going to try and take back, and I can see on of my heirs will get it when I die. If I give it to him now, is he good, or does he still get a piece of what is left when I die?

It can help in that you choose which territories they will receive (I like to give them counties in incongruous dutchies so they fight each other in the next generation), but they will still receive their 'fair' share upon current ruler death, IIRC.

Edit: you mentioned brothers--did you mean sons? Or is this an instance where you have no heir and the territories will go to your brothers after death?

You can also scurvy-scum if you have some real bad inheritors.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 22, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I think I’m going to try one last 769-end ck2 game before ck3 comes out. Thinking Sri Lanka, make a merchant republic on the SW province and see if I can finally take over all of India. Haven’t conquered all of it as a Hindu ruler before for the achievement. General tips/advice as a mostly Catholic/Muslim player? Someone else I should start as, instead?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I think the thing to do is fill out as many holding spots in your capitol with baronies for the extra troops as possible. Keep two duchies worth of counties and the rest of your demense limit as baronies in your capitol.

This. Capital/capital duchy: all castles if possible (plus 1 city/1 temple not owned by you) and then have the top level castle (county capital) for every county in that same duchy. 2nd duchy: county capital castle for the entire duchy (if you get to choose, pick the duchy with more territory). This way you don’t have dukes pissed at you for owning their de jure territory in their duchy. You can grab the castles from barons as your centralization/stewardship (hi, Hermetics) expands, since they can’t really rebel. This can end up making a lot of games feel same-y, though, and it can get a bit boring to just make army # bigger.

Just read the new dev diary. Those diseases. :perfect:

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 27, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously. The current trend of dumb cartoony graphics is a loving pox.

I like it in Sea of Thieves, but it goes with the tone of the game. The Civ6 stuff is horrible.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Beamed posted:

It's not a rumor, they officially announced they're moving to ARM.

And it’s still going to cost an ARM and a LEG, right folks?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

luxury handset posted:

yeah being a satanist is one of those things like being a merchant republic where you may as well go total loving bastard because being a halfass sort of nice bastard is just going to get you killed

Merchant: invite everyone under 20 to court and sleep with them. Pick out your genius heir, marry all of your dummy half-brothers, seduce again, etc. I found out that there’s a max of 100 trading posts this way. 7xx-end game as Venice, 250k in the bank at all times, take over Italy, found the Holy Roman Empire. Best game I ever played.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Torrannor posted:

The whole plots/hooks/secrets system looks so good. If you have enough "plot power", you now have a 95% chance to advance your plot progression each month, with 12 units of plot progression necessary to fire the plot. No longer having 5000% plot power because absolutely everybody hated the character you want dead, but the plot never firing due to RNG.

I guess this mean plots have a minimum of 12 months to fire (without random plot advance events)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I’d imagine a run as 2 super-dukes in HRE could be fun since the top person will switch around and you can combine votes when one of you needs a push to get the crown?