Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, by the way - sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, (currently at work so I can't buy the expack and see for myself...and I haven't kept up to date on all the dev diaries, so I must've missed one mentioning this game mode) but are animal kingdom games ironman compatible? No big deal if not, though. But also, do the various races live as long as they should in reality, or do they have human lifespans? (i.e. hedgehogs living to around 5yrs. I hope they don't get 'short reign' penalties in their culture! :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, I have no idea where/when I want to start a game.

Yeah, a month or so ago I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to do, but now? Nope - there are just too many options!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, just had a thought: In the animal kingdoms mode, are the mongol (and aztec) invaders human, or random-gen animals?

Also, I just realised that the 'generated historical families' option would make a playthrough as that eunuch who owns Galilee a lot easier (granted, at the expense of mandatory satanic phallus regrowth fun), unless it factors in whether or not the character is a eunuch. Hmm...

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 14, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does this mean?

It's like what's in EU4; So if/when your army hits 50% (or 51% - whatever) progress when moving between counties, they're 'locked-in', so you can't change your mind and go somewhere else, when they're like, a day away from their destination.
(I've got mixed feelings about this, though...on one hand the enemy AI doing this all the time pissed me off, and I liked it in EU4, but on the other hand, I exploited it a fair bit, myself! haha :D)

e:f;b

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dareon posted:

It's also worth noting that if you generate multiple random/shattered worlds to get cultures where you want them (Say you want to be a scandinavian bear or Irish Mali), the ones you don't use start to pile up, which can be an issue if you have relatively finite hard drive space.

Oh, right! So where are they stored? I assume in the CK2 folder in your Windows profile, but is there a separate folder for shattered worlds, or are they tucked away somewhere else?
(Since yeah, that might explain a few things, seeing as I have generated quite a few new shattered worlds... :v:)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Soho Joe posted:

No one else exists :shobon:

No one else exists yet! :v: I'd love to see the independence faction sizes popping up in your empire; must be three quarters of the known world, at least!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is there anything I can do to save the Triple King? If he dies all the titles goes to his firstborn son which is fine, but he definitely won't be voted for. Should I take the tyranny hit and just imprison and strip the competitor? Or else could I get a rundown of the best way to influence votes? I already switched away from papal investiture.

Alternatively I could switch the empire law to primo before death, but that would lock out the Triple King's immediate family from ever inheriting unless I do incest. What should I do?

I'd just take the hit, personally - often it's the defeats (followed by scheming your way back up) that are the most enjoyable parts of the game! It sounds like you're in a very strong position anyway, so I'm sure the firstborn could plot his way back to have the empire title, later on

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

Started a new game in Africa, played most of this weekend, inheritance law is eldership, ruler dies and boom the game switches me to elective gavelkind!, my nice, consolidates heartland is now split up and im suddenly so much weaker than my neighboors. gently caress this. No message or anything. Bug I guess.

That's weird! I haven't played in Africa since like, half a dozen expansions ago, but is your new ruler's culture or religion different, by any chance? Since that's the only non-bug reason that I can think of, which could explain why it changed. (Sort of like how you can revert from Tanistry -or at least used to- if you switch culture)
It does remind me that I need to give Africa another go at some stage, though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Node posted:

Do viceroyalties not declare war or something? Sorry for being dense about this.

No, but you limit their power. Since vassal kings (and viceroys too, to an extent) will try revoking their own vassals' duchies and expand outside their own kingdom in order to give themselves more power. You limit that because it'll only last one generation, at most. Also, I'm pretty sure that if someone happens to usurp another kingdom/viceroyalty from another vassal, when they die it'll still go back to you, so you can split them up again. (There was a bug that made it so when they usurp the viceroyalty, it'll become a regular kingdom. That was fixed a while ago though, I think?)

Also, once they die, instead of having to deal with their kid, you can pass the title to someone else in the kingdom (who holds less power, personally) so that they waste their time with picking apart the previous guy who spent their life picking apart the new viceroy's personal holdings. It'll also make the new guy like you more (as you gave them a title, which gives an opinion bonus)

EDIT: Beaten; coolguye wrote it up better. Basically yeah, you just make it so the viceroys all like you, and keep the kingdoms locked down so that no individual vassal plots their way into possessing two kingdoms, etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I personally wouldn't worry about viceroy duchies, though. That's just far too much work, for an empire. (Hmm, although now that I think about it, it might be OK to have viceroy duchies within your personal kingdom, perhaps? Just to make sure there's not just like, you and a super-duke or two)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

By the time you are an emperor if you have to worry about any combination of your direct vassal dukes coming after you then you have done something extremely wrong. Most of them shouldn't even be feudal, you should have at least one duchy as a merchant republic and another one as a theocracy - even if you are landlocked and the MR can't do much of anything, the point is that MR and theocracy vassals do not play 85% of the intrigue games that turn into problems for you to solve. This is doubly true if you do levy-focused vassal obligations on your theocratic vassals and the AI suddenly feels a lot weaker in comparison to you, even while you are building military buildings in their territory.

Yeah, that's true. I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to find some kind of use for viceroy duchies! :v:

Actually, are there still all those vassal opinion requirements for changing crown laws, and the like? Or did that change with the council expansion? Since I guess it might be semi-useful, for that - since they'll at least love you for giving them a title, which will make that a little easier; for your personal kingdom, anyway.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the umayyads fell apart because I BROKE THEM APART, BRICK BY ROTTEN BRICK

Uh, mods? New thread title please

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Lunatics also get to make pyramids, regardless of their culture! :eng101:

Excellent! :D And to think I was just wondering earlier today, that surely someone egotistical and/or insane should be able to build one, regardless!
I really should jump back in, since I only played a little bit after HF came out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

binge crotching posted:

Also, playing as the demon child is fun, so make sure to legitimize whatever pops out, even especially if it has hooves.

FTFY

But yeah, I'm jealous you've got the chance to play as the devil's spawn, Warmachine! I've never had that event fire, despite 550-600hrs played. :( I've had immortality once, but that's it - no other super-rare events that I'm aware of.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

This is why organizer continues to be the secret best commander trait. If you are there first, then those French stacks siege holdings on your behalf.

One thing I've always wondered, though; does the benefit of Organizer stack, if you have multiple generals with the trait leading your army?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Torrannor posted:

No, an army only benefits from the movement speed bonus of the commander leading the center.

Oh! I didn't realise that - that's good to know. So what, if your commander has organizer and flanker, you basically have to pick which of the two effects you want to use? (That or change to leading the centre to move across the map, then change to the flank before battles)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

abrosheen posted:

Is he in your prison, and can you banish him for all that other money?

To confirm, if he doesn't have an heir it'll just go to the captor anyway, right?
If not, I'd probably wait for him to age a bit, THEN banish the guy

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Thoroughly own France and England with all that crusader blood money.

Yeah, this - but maybe try not to take too much for yourself. Put relatives on the throne, and give them their independence. Dominate Europe by blood!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Have you tried making him a commander and getting his leg hacked off in battle?

Full disclosure I have no idea if that would work.

Oh, you have a clubfoot, do you? Don't worry, for I, the best surgeon in the realm can fix that! *amputates foot* *slices off face* There, fixed! :haw:

EDIT: Had a brain-fart and forgot how CK2 surgery works. Fixed my post.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 31, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I did it: played through to 1453 without the dude dying.

Nice! :D My record is something around 420 years (he died less than ten years before the end of the game though, from memory) so that's great. Did he get up to many adventures? (I thankfully thought to keep a record of what my possessed lunatic ruler did, since he ended up having a very eventful life)

EDIT: Wow, he had surprisingly few kids though, I must confess. My immortal had so many I could only see a tiny bit of their portraits! How many wives did yours have over the years, out of curiosity?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 31, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Weavered posted:

Counterpoint: it only makes the game more complicated when you’re a King/Emperor level leader and your first game probably shouldn’t be one of those anyway.

If you’re a count/duke it only makes the game better and hardly more complicated. It makes your council actually be important and it adds a lot more drama to the game.

Yeah, this. I mean, it's all personal preference really, but I feel that you're simply not doing yourself any favours by locking yourself out of mechanics like that. Just start off as a count/duke and generally by the time you're a powerful king, you'll have a firm enough grasp on the mechanics to know not to give the council powers willy-nilly, etc. (While still reaping the other benefits of the expansion)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yeah for about 300 years he didn't have a dick.

Satan helped him grow it back.

Oh, nice - what a top bloke! (I hope Arthur read the fine-print in any deal made with him, though) That would certainly explain the lack of kids, heh

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

edit edit: Is there any reason I want a Paradox account? I mean, I have more than enough forums. Unless they occasionally drop free DLC or coupons or something, I'd just as soon skip.

I'm pretty sure they have actually given out a couple of free cosmetic DLCs to people with Paradox accounts (you'd have to link your license key/Steam account to it too I think, so that it knows you have the game registered to that account) but that's only happened once or twice, so it's not really a big deal either way.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I've ordered the CK board game, seeing as that has now become available for the general public. But I'm just wondering; is anyone here able to tell me what dimension sleeves fit its cards? I've got a bunch of FFG and some Mayday sleeves, so I'm hoping I can use some of my leftovers to sleeve the CKBG cards.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I'm sorry but you can only get sleeves if you're on the Silk Road.

Dammit, but I've started all the way over here in Navarre! :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

FFG Grey for the 155 Actions cards, FFG Yellow for the 149 Character and Develop cards.

Ah excellent, thanks for that! I've definitely got a bunch of yellows and I'm almost certain I've got a heap of greys, so that works out well!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Temporal can work with ancestor veneration. The catch is you have to give the title of Fylkir or whatever to your heir before you die.

Woah, why what happens if you die while being the Fylkir? Does it go to a landed priest in your realm, or something? I've only played as a reformed pagan prior to the changes in HF.

Speaking of which though, isn't there an option that makes it so there's a 'head of the faith' per realm, like Orthodox Patriarchs? If so, do you get to keep the title, or does it go to your chaplain or something?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, right now I'm torn. For ages I've been planning on starting as a Norse character, then migrating to the Mediterranean islands (with my capital as Sardinia) before pillaging the catholic and muslim states for gold and eventually reforming.

However, aren't the only holy sites up in Scandinavia and northern Europe? Since I'd ideally like to reform either before or after the migration, but I don't really want to have to spend ages to make an empire in order to reform, then eventually migrate and start from scratch as planned. :ohdear: I haven't tried out the new crusade mechanics though, so I'm tempted to convert to catholicism after a couple hundred years of pillaging.
I do think the new reformation mechanics would be better, though. How feasible would it be to leave obtaining the holy sites to the AI? Since surely if I'm frequently raiding and sacrificing the Pope (after burning Rome, of course) our moral authority will be good enough to reform.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just a quick question (bit of a newbie question, but I haven't used gavelkind in forever) but if -for example- I have three duchies and three sons under gavelkind, if I give two sons the secondary duchies prior to my death, will the last son inherit my remaining duchy upon my death, without my other sons getting additional slices of the pie?

If so, what happens if one of the two sons I land pre-death is my first-born? Will that cause issues? Like, will I take over as them in their own duchy, instead of the son I left unlanded until my death?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone else witnessed the People's Crusade actually succeeding? Since in my new "Haesteinn of NantesSardinia" campaign, the Crusader era started right around the year 900...and right after, the People's Crusade kicked-off and was a swift success - so now the kingdom of Jerusalem (and a very sizeable amount of land around it) is independent and led by some random peasant-turned-noble.

I've seen it happen in the past, but drat, I thought it was almost guaranteed to fail - much like in real life! Still; assuming they survive long enough for me to get enough ships to carry a large force in one go, they'll make for a nice and ripe raiding target at least :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

I don't know about that crusade specifically but I've seen the Children's crusade succeeding. Complete with angels descending from the heavens to smite muslims and all.

Now that i think about it maybe that had something to do with the Norse Jerusalem owning Saxony...

hahaha wow, I've gotta see that happen! :D I kinda hope the muslims get their act together and push the peasants out of Jerusalem, now. Just so I can (hopefully) see some more crusade shenanigans!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

how did this guy Ahma get one of my provinces

did he steal it from me with legal tricks and fraud

I'm afraid to say that ahma unable to assist (sorry not sorry), although could you tell me how/why Erkki has an 'Elder' prefix, like that? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that before, to be honest.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

medieval feeder fetish

Oh c'mon, now that you've said this, "Medieval Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066" (or similar) just needs to be in the thread title! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Medieval Furry Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066

Good point; I'd forgotten about the Animal Kingdoms mode

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Because Satan's your cool homie that'll regrow your dick and balls and all he asks in return is that you spend the rest of your life with a hunch in your back and maybe gently caress a satyr periodically.

He also lets you kill your kids in his name, in exchange for a few extra years of life. What a swell guy!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

i really have to unsiege land for the guy rebelling against me to send a peace deal at 100% warscore. come on

Urgh, I know, right? I had to do that yesterday. I'd prefer it if you either inherited their war OR, better yet, their war simply ends due to 'invalid target' or whatever. (Which would be preferable, for me. I mean, that kind of outcome seems to happen to ME regularly enough, so why shouldn't the AI lose out, too? :v:)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I paused at 70 years old to ask a few questions before I die: how crippling is losing control for a bit? Do I keep my retinue? Can I still expand? I'm pretty sure I'm about to die and one of the other patricians has 1200 on me, and I dont have the gold to make up for that.

Yeah, you keep your retinue, etc. Your income will likely drop a bit and you'll lose control over the capital city (not over any other holdings you might have, though) but that's about it. I like letting the AI have a turn now and again, and going back to manipulating things behind the scenes instead.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've finally had my first beatified ruler, immediately followed by my first canonised ruler!

So yeah, KingBlessed King Halsten the Scholar was originally a norse king of the western Mediterranean islands (centred around Sardinia, which was the capital) but a little while after he gained the crown he allowed a Christian cardinal to access his lands and spread the word of God. So, one thing led to another and him, his family and many other norsemen converted to Christianity - followed by Halsten holding a grand feast and a tournament in celebration. He was also crowned by the Pope himself, during this month of celebration.
(EDIT: Halsten also discovered that the world is round which, much to the chagrin of the church, he published. So I would like to believe that the 'pissed off the church' modifier he received for this was a factor in the AI's decision to not canonize him. Since he was otherwise a very pious man, who gave a lot to the church)

But anyway, when he later died his son Asbjorn (who was probably around five years old, when the mass conversion occurred) inherited. It seemed like he'd be a sinful, scheming and adulterous ruler - due to his education in intrigue and behaviour while under AI control. (And honestly, I fully intended on continuing with that! The little 'schemer's moustache' he had by default helped that image, too) However after his father was beatified, he shed all his bad traits and started to become a rather pious man.

Contrary to Halsten's rather peaceful reign, Asbjorn's main events in his life revolved around war. Not long after his father was beatified and he was crowned by the Pope (in exchange for returning the Holy Prepuce, which one of his ancestors took from Rome during a raid) a Crusade was called - for Thrace, no less. Since the Byzantine Empire was shattered during the second Crusade - and eventually, Slavic pagans overran the Latin Empire, which prompted this Crusade. (Additionally, the first Crusade was won/averted? by the Peasant's Crusade; and those peasants still hold Jerusalem and most of Arabia to this day)
So what did Asbjorn do? In order to prove his peoples' loyalty to God, he sailed over and dominated the battlefield. Thanks to his actions, the Crusade was won - and he was given piles of treasure (as well as the nickname 'the Sword of God') by the Pope in return.

Directly after this though, two Jihads -one Sunni, one Shia- were declared on him one after the other. He managed to fend them off though, and had a few years of peace to allow for his levies to be replenished...But well, the next Pope clearly felt he had to make a name for himself, so he declared a Crusade on Egypt, which Asbjorn also won for the Pope. This time though, instead of allowing the Pope to dole it out to a random noble he liked, Asbjorn designated his own wife (who uh, was also his niece...who was also like, 20 years younger than him) as the recipient of the new Christian Kingdom.

Here's a screenshot of my shiny new saint. He ended up having every single virtue, and founded two bloodlines; one from being a saint, as well as one for winning multiple Crusades. Not too shabby, really! I quite like the addition of bloodlines and sainthood, in Holy Fury.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Honestly, I'm not even mad or anything, my dynasty will live on, it was just legit jaw dropping when I got like 18 death notifications all at once and the realization of what had happened as I started to click through them

It's a bit weird though, since the peasants must be way more thorough than soldiers. Since they always get EVERYONE, while if you or I assault a capital, we'd be lucky to get even a few captives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

I just took Cil Dara which is part of a two county duchy so I might be able to grab that title. Although will I personally need to hold it to do that? It’s currently held by a vassal of mine.

Nah, you can create it as long as 51% of the counties are in your realm. They can belong to vassals, and it won't cause any issues