Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

:toot: new thread. Pour one out for westerngfx.

westerngfx died as it lived: in an ugly way, mourned by nobody

I'm consistently in the minority on this but I generally think Charlemagne is required DLC because the 769 start is both good and fun and also the only way to restore rightful Merovingian rule to Francia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Always thought the old timey human history games looked a little complicated

They are!

How are u posted:

but now I'm thinking I might enjoy them.

You will!

The Dynasty bundle isn't bad at all and would be a good way to dip your toes in since it unlocks a lot of otherwise unplayable cultures and religions as well as coming with Way of Life so you don't end up having to sit around waiting for claims to fire while doing nothing.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
A kind of cool thing that seems to have gone unnoticed is that Brittany has been broken up into three duchies and two of them are outside the Francias in the Charlie start, which means it's now possible to form the kingdom of Brittany without having to tangle with, potentially, the future head of the HRE.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
If all you're doing is marrying them off, then yeah it'll just become a roll of the dice because you're hoping at that point that people die in the order that you need them to in order to inherit. If you're going to try to inherit things you've got to follow up by murdering the right people at the right time.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
This newer, more aggressive papacy is really tripping me out. I'm in constant fear of being excommunicated now as I try to forge an empire. Not complaining, mind, it's a huge improvement over just doing whatever I want and telling the Pope to shove it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sulphagnist posted:

It probably needs a tiny bit of fine-tuning because no matter how much the Pope wants the Duchy of Ferrara, un-excommunicating a King for going on a crusade only to excommunicate him again while he's neck deep fighting infidels in the Holy Land is excessive and would have caused a huge ruckus for a real Pope.

That's definitely part of it but the other part is that it doesn't seem like sending my court chaplain to just perpetually suck Pope dick works that well anymore, although maybe I've just had a string of wildly incompetent chaplains.

The reasons modifier solution seems elegantly simple though.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

my first move with my chaplain is always to send him to improve relations in Rome, and it's very very inconsistent. sometimes my hand picked 25 learning guy grows old and dies without ever doing it, sometimes the 8 learning dude auto-generated at start fires it three times in a decade. I can never predict if it'll do me any good.

I'm almost a century into the Brittany -> Britannia game I started last night and it's fired once, but it targeted a vassal bishop instead of the Pope himself :negative:

On the whole though, as I said, this isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's encouraged me to be performatively pious as I quietly gobble up neighboring realms. It's definitely made the monastic orders more appealing due to their high likelihood of giving you heavenly virtues as well as the inherent church opinion bonus just for membership.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Holy crap. I'm playing a small duke in the HRE, 200 gold to my name. A crusade is called, I send my 3k troops to fight. We win. I get 3500 gold.

That's completely insane.

Crusades are really worth participating in now. I sent 15k troops to Saxony and came back with 14000 gold, thousands of prestige and piety, and two tier 3 artifacts. Granted, that was as the top participant in the crusade, but still, 14000 gold is absolutely worth it on its own.

Holy Fury good.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

:yeshaha:

Ulfhildr was such a loving badass. Daughter of Sigurdr Ring, ruled for 51 years, reformed the Germanic faith, killed 82 poor motherfuckers, led a legendary journey to the Byzantine Empire and came back alive, never lost a duel in her loving life, outlived all of her kids, and was just all around one of the coolest rulers I've ever played. I mean, goddamn;

And that's after losing quite a few traits...

Oh, and if your female ruler isn't married when she earns her bloodline, all your kids will get it (at least if they're of your dynasty). So, uh, get stabbing/divorcing.

Now, me personally? I've got my doubts that Alexander, noted Macedonian, managed to spread his DNA all the way to Normandy. But I can't argue with an invasion per ruler.

As far as Catholics with dumb names go, Tiernualloc was hard as gently caress. To be fair, he killed significantly fewer than 82 people, but he did live through and win two separate Crusades.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Anyone else's non-pagan rulers dying constantly in battle? Played a Catholic Duke and as the Byzantine Emperor and each game if I let them lead armies they'd get killed in single combat after a few battles. Over the course of the both games of 11 rulers, 10 died in battle and the longest they lasted was 6 years. Personal combat skill didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Pagans are fine though, even with low personal combat skill. Makes me think a battlefield duelling event is out of whack as that is what seems to kill me everytime

Yeah, one ruler of mine lasted two days before dying in the same battle as his predecessor.

What I've found is that if you're going to be a warmongering Catholic you really have to prepare for it by taking the war focus and being an rear end in a top hat to people until you can duel them; the duelist trait being worth a cool +30 personal combat goes a long way toward staying alive on the battlefield and the other minor buffs (Warrior et al) stack up quickly as well.

In general though I'm cool with all of it. Like, yeah, this scholar king with noodle arms probably can't take the furious berserker jarl the size of a truck who's done nothing but fight for three decades, fair enough Pdox.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

I have a great need to know what the gently caress this is.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

quadrophrenic posted:

Eldership is a pain in the rear end, I've been gaming it by voting for the lovely heir so that all the elders spite-vote for the heir I wanted anyway

Also, is there basically no use for Intrigue for African tribals? I don't think I've ever had a plot potential over 50% for anything except killing heathens. There's basically no point to espionage

Intrigue is for murdering elders who won't comply with what you want them to do. Some things are cross-cultural.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

So my Irish Dream is aparently a real n00b scenario, but you need to start as one of the petty kings, not just anyone, because apparently its really hard to go from an earl with a single province to king.

Its more complex than it used to be owing to the added counties in this patch, but it's still pretty easily doable starting, as always, in Dublin (which is the optimal Holy Fury start anyway because there's a decent bloodline there). I tried it last night to see if tutorial island was still viable and united Ireland with my third ruler. Probably could have done it on the second but Satan did not see fit to heal her smashed brains with unholy magic, although he did heal her concurrent food poisoning which is about as accurate a representation of making a deal with the devil as I've seen. As ever it's vastly easier if you've got Jade Dragon because the CBs in that expansion let you just conquer people for basically no reason if you've got the cash and piety to throw around. I bet it saved me a decade of claim forging.

e it's also a little harder now that you can't just pull 2500 dudes from the aether, but I think that the prestige retinues made up for that pretty well.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 20, 2018

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
e quote isn't edit

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I found that as soon as my first leader died, I lost Meth, and I had already had to give my dads demanse to my other son so I wouldn't piss everyone off. One of the hardest things to wrap around is how to keep your lands at a size people don't freak out about, but also grow your lands.

I've generally found that making my vassals mad isn't something I really have to worry about until I hold a kingdom or greater. For the most part, feel free to flex on your siblings if you get gavelkinded out of what's rightfully yours.

You can also game gavelkind pretty hard if you've got Monks and Mystics by just taking a vow of celibacy after your first son is born. If he dies, no big deal, stop being celibate and have another, then repeat until you die. With only one male heir in agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, you essentially have agnatic primogeniture.

e vvv this too, ultimately if you die in a claim duel you still end up getting both titles, just maybe not on the person you planned for.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 21, 2018

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

So dumb question but I can't find it in the wiki. It tells me I can create a vassal with land in my kingdom that's currently run by one of my council. How do I...do that though? It doesn't show up in 'grant landed titles' and when I select 'transfer vassal' there's no options I can pick. I'd really love to get it out of the hands of the one guy who's an active opponent of mine in the council even if we're kinda bros currently.

You have to hold the title that you're trying to give away to a vassal. Check your plots and see if you can scheme to revoke it, if not maybe get your chancellor to forge a claim on it then scheme.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Do artifacts pass to heirs on death or get buried with you?

They'll usually get passed down but there's a small chance that they'll be lost on succession.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

Equipped items can't be lost, thankfully.

Yeah it's usually religious artifacts or books that wind up missing. That sucks real bad sometimes though: my persistent fear is that my idiot ruler loses a few magna opera that he was too dumb to use in life and too dumb to secure in death.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

I have a pile of the testes and eyes of those who wronged me.

Why isn't "Testes of a Rival" a thing I can keep in my treasury

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Turned Conclave back on and really liked the child raising stuff but I forgot how tedious the council stuff is. Now I remember why I turned it off by default. Are there any mods or console shenanigans I can do to neutralise the council mechanics and still have everything else?

I mean in theory if you're just looking for a Yes Man council you could just use the add_friend command on all of them but that sounds like it would be singularly boring game play tbqh.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fellblade posted:

So if the breakdown of how to become a saint on Reddit is true, it’s impossible to become a saint if you aren’t beatified and impossible to become beatified if you weren’t baptised by the pope.

So from what I can tell it’s a prerequisite to being the firstborn child of a king/emperor. Unless there’s another way to get baptised I don’t know about.

My awesome Queen ‘the Blessed’ with all the virtues, no negative traits, crowned by the pope, who started a Benevolent bloodline, who leads the Dominicans, has 5k+ piety and taken part in two successful crusades can’t become a saint because she wasn’t the firstborn child.

You can right click any of your kids when they're still newborns and choose to organize a sumptuous baptism, it just only prompts you for your first.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Banana Man posted:

Can you do a random shattered world combined

Yeah, you'd just set the generator to have no duchies, kingdoms, or empires at start I would assume.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Man getting the Kingdom of Jerusalem for the first successful crusade to take it really makes CK2 into hard mode again. Mostly, to be fair, because I'm dumb and bad and it took me a king and a half to realize that Jerusalem is within diplomatic range of China, so if you're willing to give up the Holy Grail that you got during the Crusade, you can dismantle the Abbasids (or whomever) pretty much right away :getin:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sweet, thanks. Oh and is there a way to get rid of an imbecile heir?

Make them a spymaster and send them to Constantinople to study technology. It's not foolproof, mind, but it mulches bad spymasters reasonably reliably and worst case you get tech points.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Or make them court chaplain and send them to proselytize to the Vikings, or assign them as commander of a dozen dudes on a fleet parked in the middle of nowhere until they get scurvy.

I like it when I get the event where the chaplain volunteers for that gig. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, I guess.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Money is usually my main issue too, seems to be especially bad for pagans. I know the solution to that is supposed to be raid, but when everyone around is pagan too the maintenance of your raiders ends up being more than whatever pittance you loot. :bang:

Money is rough for tribals generally but you get a lot of things to spend prestige on in exchange, which you can build using your steward who will sometimes just summon up some soldiers as well. Also consider making a republic or smaller feudal into a tributary to help fund your own transition into feudalism/republicanism/iqta. Or just be African and get that trans-saharan trade money I guess.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Karanas posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm gonna stick with my custom empire for the time being. I just wish it wasn't this horrid shade of pink. At least I don't need to rely on the de jure titles to conquer stuff.

I mean if you form the custom empire with all the de jure territory of the Byzantine Empire and maintain it as your primary title then you should be able to form the Byz Empire as well but treat it as a titular empire, so it may slip away due to imperial elective but you shouldn't lose any holdings. I think.

You'd be stuck with pink, though.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Great, and the vassal who inherits the Byzantine Empire becomes independent since emperors can't be vassals of other emperors.

I fail to see the advantage of creating the Byzantine Empire in this situation.

Yeah on second thought you're absolutely correct, all you'd get is prestige and a future hassle.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

TTBF posted:

Ah, that sucks that moving is the only solution. I wanted to keep Kanem & Bornu as my primary duchies and try to fill them with castles but I could only afford that if I'm not paying 1000 gold every few years to deal with rain. Guess it's time to take Tunis.

Conquering a soverign state to keep your books from getting wet is pretty much CK2 in a nutshell

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

*in a paradox Dev voice* African societies have never figured out how to deal with rain

Undoubtedly it's just a really bad balance measure to keep Africans from having too much money, but... why? Why not just let sub-saharan Africa be rich as poo poo?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Theoretically Holy Fury gives Christianity a bit more of a chance, with the reconquista on one side and Teutonic Knights and mass conversion on the other, but nobody's really reported on how well those stem the tide yet.

My experience so far has been that if Francia/HRE forms, then Catholicism has a bright future ahead of it. If not, then you, the player, are probably going to have to single handedly beat back the tide of Islam because the Catholic states will, in typical CK2 fashion, be so wrapped up in petty dick measuring that they won't be able to stop the Umayyids/Abbasids from conquering everything.

Or, you know, just accept the truth that there is one God and Mohammed is his prophet and be Sunni Irish or whatever.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I'll do that next time the Duke of Meth gets uppity.

I mean that guy is always gonna be pretty energetic and hard to manage one way or the other.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Also what determines if someone's made a saint or not? Because I had a guy who had basically every virtue, no negative traits, prestige and piety both over 10K, was head of the Dominicans and bffs with the pope, and was known as "the Missionary", and I didn't get squat.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Sainthood

The upshot is that even if you live a perfect, saintly life free from all sin and are heavily involved in church matters, you've still only got a 38% chance to be canonized. So it comes down to luck on the RNG.

e: it goes higher if your bloodline has no saints or if Catholicism has no saints yet, though.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Captain Mediocre posted:

Are there any mods that produce a warrior lodge for Christians? Now that I've gone pagan it's hard to go back. Something like a chivalric order would be pretty neat.

There was one called just that, The Chivalric Orders, I'm pretty sure. It gives you a martial society similar to the warrior lodge prior to the crusading era, then once the crusades begin it gives you the option to be a lay member of any of the military orders, as well. This gets a little weird and I kind of wish they would culture lock those orders or something so that you don't wind up with your Irish court being entirely Knights of Calatrava or whatever, but it's serviceable enough although I think the warrior lodges do produce slightly better murderers in the long run.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The adventurer reconquista thing is part of it but landed rulers can do it as well. It's an intrigue option (something along the lines of "plan reconquista", but it might not be available if you aren't independent.

It won't be available if you're a vassal to a king because your reconquista war will be for a de jure kingdom. Not sure if you can be a duke vassal to an emperor and get away with it but I don't see why not.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

In the course of my world conquest game, I think I might've stumbled across a way to have a world republic so stable that even the AI could rule it, with functional elections and what have you. Might try to build it after the last patch comes out. Can you upload a save as a mod? It'd probably pretty fun to play it as a vassal.

Well don't leave us hanging.

Do tell :allears:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, their duel engine is pretty dogshit (the *skip duel* button is a godsend, but not always available) but the creator has a "well I spent so much time on this I'm not taking it out" sort of attitude, which kind of sucks. Mod's pretty cool otherwise -- I'm a big fan of the warrior pilgrimage to get the superpowered versions of the command traits, even if it could use a few more events for variety.

Luv 2 die to dudes with negative combat skill because of the duel engine

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Yeah it's either broken or something whose mechanics should be spread out to more religions. I think any religion that is holy war focused so Unyielding/Warlike with a non temporal leader so that muslims can't call them. Unless the Caliph gets unlanded or something.

I kind of feel like they didn't extend the new crusade system to other religions because, with the new reformation features, most other faiths are or can rapidly become significantly better than Catholicism. It's partially a game balance thing for multiplayer, I suspect.

That said Islam has been left in the dust and jihads should run on the Holy Fury crusade system.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

OK, thanks.

Based on the great advice in the OP, I've picked up:
The Old Gods & Sword of Islam (came in a bundle).
Way of Life
Holy Fury
Conclave
Monks & Mystics
Legacy of Rome
Sons of Abraham
The Republic

I was planning to start in Venice. Sounds like you're saying Jade Dragon or Horse Lords might be worth grabbing as well.

Since you picked up Swords of Islam and apparently don't like playing games normally, it's also of note that there are a number of Muslim tribals in the early starts that can become merchant republic powerhouses owing to their proximity to the African gold mines and the Mediterranean, as well as the trade posts in the holy land, although you'll have to wrest those posts away from Venice et al and fight off or subvert the Sunni blobs. Not necessarily the best first merchant republic game but you won't be able to spend the gold you poo poo out fast enough if you pull it off.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe I can just close the intrigue tab for seventy years and the problem will take care of itself.

I mean, a lifetime of house arrest can't be THAT bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

Well, let's see:

You're off to a great start!

As for your wife, think like Henry VIII here. Nobody will mind if you imprison someone who has "acted dishonorably towards you." Throw her in jail, and then either execute her if nobody would care, or toss her in the oubliette.

Edit: there's more than one way to skin your wife

The Something Awful Forums > Games > CKII: there's more than one way to skin your wife