Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Xae posted:

The problem with her getting into a bunch of different Twitter slap fights a day is that the media will ignore the 99 she "wins" and cover to death the one she "loses", or even the ones she doesn't respond to.

And after a few years of that coverage the public will just know her as that millennial congresswoman who gets into Twitter fights.

Right now the public knows her as the awesome progressive who advocates lots of great ideas and is actually capable of using technology as opposed to most of the dinosaurs we have in Washington, including one rear end in a top hat who literally has his staff print every tweet out for him. I'm not worried about a hypothetical future take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Otteration posted:

"Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Celebrates Eight-Year Sentence Against Woman Who Accidentally Voted Illegally"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/ken-paxton-rosa-ortega-texas-punishment-accident-voting-illegally.html

Apparently she also voted for him. It's an obvious miscarriage of justice intended to discourage latino voters, but that's one less tea partier I guess.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

She'll make it because she has to.

Make it to what? She's 85. Breyer is 80. The oldest Republican justice is 70. It's unlikely that Democrats will regain the Senate soon, if ever, given the realities of our oligarchal system. And Republicans have established the precedent of only permitting Republicans to be seated. What precisely is she waiting for? Even if she makes it to 2020, there's no real potential for affecting the rock solid conservative majority for a minimum of 15 years. She's a great judge, but I think the popular love for her is largely misguided - we cannot place the stability of the judicial system upon the shoulders of individuals.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Peacoffee posted:

I was mostly referring to the provisions under states of emergency, drug trafficking, and border security, which as far as I know still sweep a lot of decision making into the executive branch. Although it's less that I expect these laws would uphold how they are used in justifying actions, and more that there's a lot of arguments someone could make with the patriot act that have yet to materialize in all this time.

It's a pretty big stretch to simply declare an emergency, use it to order the military to do all sorts of normal civilian government things in spite of public opposition, and then expect both the courts and congress to just wipe their hands of the issue. If you accept that kind of loophole around democratic government, there isn't much that can't be driven through it. It's basically just a dictatorship. On the other hand, President AOC could just declare a public health emergency and institute a national health system by fiat, and no one could say a word against it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is literal insanity. I feel like they're trying to gaslight us.

Of all the states on that list, Florida was the closest in 2018. How is it not the definition of a swing state?

I just don't know how the NYT manages to write an article that asserts that Florida is becoming a red state, and does so without ever mentioning the actual percentage electoral margins. The only time they actually substantiate anything is when they mention that the Democrats came within 10,000 and 32,000 votes of victory, which come out to about a .2% and .4% margin respectively. That is an incredibly close margin by any standard. They differentiate the Democrat "pragmatists" from the "progressives" without any substantiation at all, and basically spend 2,000 words chatting up Florida politicos. It's a dumb fluff piece, and it's appalling that the NYT has come to the point that this sort of unserious work is becoming, frankly, typical of their paper.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

evilweasel posted:

losing by 10,000 when you are the incumbent in a wave year going your way means it's not a swing state, it's a red state that you can possibly compete in when everything lines up your way - but that you can't when it doesn't. that's only a swing state under the very generous definition of the term of "a state that could possibly swing" instead of a tossup state

Hillary Clinton lost by less than one percent in Florida, Barack Obama (2012) won by less than one percent. Neither result indicated anything other than Florida being a swing state. Griping that a .2% loss somehow presages a future of Republican dominance in Florida - particularly in the face of all the other changes occurring there - is just foolish and meaningless chaff. Maybe Florida really is a rock-solid red state due to all the retirees moving there to die, but that article offered absolutely no proof of that assertion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

BristolSOF posted:

NYT - "As Debt Rises, the Government Will Soon Spend More on Interest Than on the Military"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/business/economy/us-government-debt-interest.html

Meh?

Of all the many problems in the world, the Treasury Department having to print more dollars is not a major one. It's also an easily fixable problem - congressional Republicans just need to stop giving American tax dollars to their donors, and conservatives need to stop giving their votes to assholes. Fundamentally our deficit issues aren't due to programmatic policy issues, they're due to systematized graft and corruption.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 16, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Jethro posted:

The whole point is that Boeing didn't tell pilots about the new system until after the first crash, including in the "here's what's different about the MAX compared to other 737s" and even in the loving flight manual because they didn't want to "confuse" anyone.

So, during the two most dangerous parts of the flight (Takeoff and Landing), you had to diagnose that the airplane was "helpfully" loving with a part of the controls that exists for the sole purpose of "set it and forget it", turn off the power to those control surfaces (not the system that's loving with them, which by the way you could not possibly know about, but the controls themselves), and manually crank the controls back to where they should be, all the while dealing with the fact that your airplane all of a sudden really wants to convert itself into a subway car.

There's pilot error and then there's a system designed to create pilot error.

Agreed. Not to make "a car analogy", but there's a very close comparison between the problems of the 737 MAX automated flight control system and the problems related to vehicular collision avoidance systems identifying stopped objects in the road. False positives could cause serious problems for the drivers so car manufacturers intentionally have the systems ignore halted objects - even though the systems could help in some instances - relying on drivers to recognize and react to impediments without the assistance of autobraking in some instances. The system fails safely.

Boeing made the opposite decision, trusting in their system to be correct. But this decision is clearly a poor one, particularly given that air pitch control is far more problematic than a car suddenly braking. With it being clear that ground avoidance systems are not entirely reliable, the flight controls should be alerting the pilots and then deactivating - not possibly making a mistaken pitch adjustment. Perhaps more fundamentally, pilots should never struggle to turn off the collision avoidance system in order to maintain control of the aircraft - indeed it's difficult to argue that planes should be resisting pilot inputs at all.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

What's the fuss about Boeing using a boneyard facility to do this, does anyone really imagine they're going to suddenly scrap the entire 737 fleet? What difference does it make where the work is done as long as it gets done?

I think people are just relishing an airplane company taking it in the teeth for once. Realistically: Victorville is a logistics airport with plenty of normal operations in addition to its boneyard; conveniently Southwest already has a fleet of retired 737s there that will be available for parts if necessary; there's no way airlines will be scrapping a bunch of brand-new aircraft for what amounts to an I/O software problem.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

The only reason they might is if this media storm gets out of hand and people en mass won't book the plane out of fear. I dont really see that happening here though.

I agree. Given how focused people are on driving down the absurdly high costs of flying in the United States, as well as the normal human experience of rationalizing away any non-immediate risks, I don't think that sort of thing is really going to affect people's decision-making. In any case, I have the feeling that once Boeing figures out a solution that will satisfy regulators in the EU they'll roll it out to global fanfare that the problem is fixed, and people will accept it because it's not like they're in a position to contest it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

If anything, the Internet only started to go rotten when government control over it was lessened to scum-sucking corporations' interest.

The internet has been all over the place when it comes to regulation. Internet media companies fought mightily to get the DMCA passed, which represents major government oversight (and not in the interest of the citizens). It was fairly lax early on, though of course if you go back far enough you'd start talking about DOD clearance and telecom access. Social media relies heavily on being able to redistribute media without being held responsible for it, which is an ideal level of laissez faire government for them, but Facebook's stock price crash last year represented a realization that it also signifies a major corporate weakness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

There's enough money in tourism and enough megarich fuckers down there to build desalination plants.

Poors are hosed though (this goes without saying, in every scenario, forever and ever).

What's the point? The same saltwater is destabilizing the limestone and seeping right through the ground. The area will be unlivable within a few decades and no joke will need to be evacuated. It already has serious flooding every month when the lunar cycle causes increased tidal action. Over the next 40 years sea levels are expected to rise two feet - swamping every building in Miami that isn't on a pole. Right now their systemic plans amount to sea walls and pumps, with a hope that they can somehow rebuild the reefs and swamps in the face of climate change. There's no certainty that will be sufficient for the monthly flood events, much less the "storm of the century" that happens every couple years. The whole situation in Florida is untenable.

https://www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Spacewolf posted:

Not medicaid. In NJ I had medicaid, not in FL.

If you're looking for alternatives, I'd suggest doing a little Googling. It's surprising how often you'll find that there are small cab companies even in mid-sized towns. Another option would be calling up a friend or family member to see if they'd be willing to pick you up (I'd bet most people would be happy to accompany you, unless it's during work hours). Or try calling the doctor's office and see what suggestions they have, I'm sure that their outpatients calling up an Uber isn't their first choice to begin with. If that sounds like a lot of work, or the options you find are just too inconvenient, then maybe find a different day to support union labor - it can be your own personal May 8th.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

nankeen posted:

what's going on in iran, is trump starting a war

Literally nothing has changed, but the GOP is hoping to change the headlines from "Literally they're all corrupt, will Congress put the entire cabinet in contempt?"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Those numbers are as fake as Donald's tax returns. There is no way in hell the "average American" spends $100 in rideshares each month, much less $750 in eating out.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

You don't spend 25 bucks a day eating out every month? :rolleyes:

Who has time when they're busy getting their four haircuts a month in?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Killer robot posted:

Though as I type this I also think how on Amazon now if you buy any kind of consumable product they try to sell you on a subscription rather than single purchase. I don't know how many people really do but that would pad it up.

Amazon subscriptions are just such nonsense though. It's all the fun of a variable rate utility, but with your toothpaste.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah pretty much. There hasn't been a good way developed for workers to work on the lines when they could potentially be getting powered from distributed sources. Ideally there'd be a system set up that would allow a house to isolate itself from the network at will (and capable of signalling that to the network operators), but right now there's definite safety complaints about lines getting charged without warning.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The Republican judges have been pulling these shenanigans for decades now. Their take is that democracy is not worth being defended if it will deprive them of power. It really says something that upholding a fair and representational democracy is considered a "political question". But as has been well known for quite a while, Republicans are all authoritarians at heart - and petty tyrants have no love of democracy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bolton's problem was that he kept expecting Trump to commit to something out of ideological principle. Rookie mistake, tbh. Donald has no problem making GBS threads on people who can't fight back, but he's spent a lifetime making it clear that he's only interested in spending other people's money or reputations. An actual shooting war invites too much personal risk - he'll muck around with drones or trade wars, but getting involved in an outright invasion would require a degree of courage that Don clearly lacks. He's not a politician, he's a real estate con artist. At the end of the day, Don is in this gig for his laughable "legacy", and to make lots of money. Sending carriers into the Persian Gulf or the Caribbean Sea doesn't really contribute to either of those goals.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'm sure that's part of it, but I also think that it's pretty important to remember that he's certainly not some sort of flag-waving patriot, or driven ideologue. The guy isn't driven by those sorts of motivations, it's all about him. Getting involved in Cold War empire-building isn't really a priority for him. His trade wars, as disastrous as they have been for his reputation (not to mention America's economy) are much more in line with his thinking.

Now I might get proven wrong here, but Don's been fairly consistently disinterested in "global security" efforts. He just doesn't care. He treats American military deployments like they're only opportunities to shake down other nations, and his interest in the military as a whole is largely focused on the personal pageantry they offer him, and the defense pork spending he can take advantage of.

In a lot of ways, Bolton was a poor fit for the Trump camp, since his interest expanded far beyond palace politics and ingratiating himself with the world's neediest man. I'm glad he's gone, but it makes sense that he eventually got fired.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

According to the study that was apparently misinformation; tobacco chewers had about the same rate of oral cancer as people who never used tobacco at all. I have no idea where to dig it up now but somebody looked at both the numbers and medical information. Turns out that if somebody died of oral cancer but was a chewer they'd just assume the tobacco caused it. Turns out that wasn't going on; similar things happened with second hand smoke. Yes it's bad but it wasn't as bad as thought as if somebody that lived with a smoker died of a heart attack it just defaulted to "heart attack caused by second-hand smoke." Sometimes that was true but sometimes it wasn't. Data on that sort of thing has turned out to be hard to parse as a lot of the old medical information on such things turned out to be not entirely accurate.

I'm by no means an expert on such things but it seems that smoking tobacco is specifically the thing that is bad. Nicotine is of course addictive as hell and tobacco isn't exactly good for you but it's not quite as bad as it's made out to be.

My understanding is that cancer formation has been found to be significantly affected by the processing method of the various smokeless tobacco products. There's a large number of chemicals involved, including formaldehyde, polonium, lead, etc., and as such major differences may be introduced during production. In particular dry snuff introduces a high risk of oral cancer, while moist snuff and chewing tobacco (which are more common in the United States) introduce a relatively low risk of oral cancer. There's been a variety of different studies on this issue, and I'm not an expert in the field, but this article review has a compelling summary: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4268996/

Of course cancers are only one of the increased risks due to tobacco usage. Higher blood pressure, cardiovascular stress, and other typical health concerns common for cigarette smokers are also shared by tobacco chewers, etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

happyhippy posted:

What kind of golf competition would Trump would win you think?

Edit: Me bad english today.

Donald is well known for awarding himself trophies, or ordering employees to declare him the winner of club competitions based entirely on his word.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Fed can piss away one and a half trillion loving dollars on the stock market in the space of, what, three days?

But they can't find a cent to cover sick leave during a pandemic.

I can't even imagine the good one and a half trillion dollars could do, not just in the US, but in the world.

It's not spending, it's short-term loans intended to ensure liquidity. It's the institutional equivalent of a payday loan, and it's the sort of thing that the Fed exists for. I'd be all for the government doing this at the individual level, for example following through on proposals for the Post Office to offer basic banking, check cashing, and secured loans. But a two-week liquidity loan isn't really going to meet the financial needs of the average coronavirus patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

droll posted:

Thieves/murderers can't tip their masks because

Because they don't want to expose their neighbors to potential infections.