Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thank you very much! I hope this is a kosher question PPJ, but will your tweet dumps generally be a part of this thread as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On the subject of early calls gone wrong, yes it's happened before. We can ask president Dewey all about it.

On the subject of PR folk to Polk county: not all of PR is urban. Iirc, the rural areas have been slowest to recover, so it would make sense to see movent to other rural zones.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Schumer's trouble with this is that New York Jewish coalitions have been a major part of his power base for a long, long time. I don't think he's going to change regarding BDS, and it's gonna take retirement for him to be unseated.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Chuck Schumer is the greatest impediment to his party's evolution and flourishing at this juncture. Nobody wants to follow a weak leader, and he's the weakest leader I've experienced.

Why IS he leader? I assume some combination of seniority and fundraising prowess?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

the margin in bay county was about 45,000 to 15,000

which is a net of about twice the nelson scott difference and slightly less than the gillum nazi difference

Wow. I'd be really interested to find out what happens there. I've had to fax my ballot in FL the last few elections, and the instructions from the state are super clear "we will not accept a ballot sent by e-mail"

Edit: Here's the exact language from the e-mail I received from my county "If you are an overseas voter, you may choose to fax your ballot back to our office. Fax the completed ballot and signed and dated certificate to us at ***-***-****. This ballot MUST BE FAXED NOT EMAILED."

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 12, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1061997096113463301

This is actually pretty good news for democrats isn't it? If they did this well with a less diverse electorate than 2016, one would think they stand a very good chance with an expected 2020 electorate.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Does he not realize that Europe building a larger standing army is the end result of him constantly complaining about them not spending enough on NATO? They aren't just gonna mail us a check, they're gonna spend more money on their own army

Jfc, he doesn't understand that, does he?

Isn't the whole "pay for NATO" thing a complaint that they don't have enough of a military? My understanding is that as a member nation, you have a commitment to spend x% of your GDP on your armed forces. And this is what most members were failing at. So this is... Exactly what Trump was asking for.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So Trump is getting exactly what he wants, one of his very few FP victories while in office, and he's crying because he doesn't understand it at all.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It's hilarious to me that he's so pissed about it, because wrecking NATO is the only Trump administration policy with which I agree.

Well that and his skill at humiliating horrible people who have an unearned media hagiography around them like Romney, McCain, the Bushes, etc

He's too dumb to properly wreck NATO. It looks like he's just strengthening the other member nations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

No, he wanted the other countries to send a check, payable to him.

Yes, suppose that's true. He's getting what he said he wanted, anyways.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

That's fine, less soft power for the US empire

I agree 100%. Although I'd rather have it be something that was done in a voluntary and considered way.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

For all of the (justified) "rest in piss" stuff we said about McCain on this board, it's kind of silly to forget how much he was respected by most people and especially in Arizona.

I wonder how many of these Republican who voted for Sinema will be Republicans again next time or if they will be like the "Democrats" in the south who voted straight party R for decades.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

He did call Obama a great leader shortly after the 08 election, I assume he did vote for him. Him voting for either Obama or McCain is kind of laffo tbh

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bec9b94e4b03af89266428d

I know Tim Ryan specifically is on Pelosi's right... Are the rest of the people signing this conservadems or is it ideologically mixed? I'm not really familiar with the rest of the signers.

quote:

WASHINGTON ― House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is suddenly in a fight for her political survival as a group of Democratic detractors is preparing to block her ascent to the speakership.

About a dozen incumbent Democrats and a half-dozen incoming Democrats are preparing a letter pledging to not support Pelosi on the House floor for speaker.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bec9b94e4b03af89266428d

I know Tim Ryan specifically is on Pelosi's right... Are the rest of the people signing this conservadems or is it ideologically mixed? I'm not really familiar with the rest of the signers.

I just checked all of them on Progressive Punch. I'm not sure how well their scoring system works, but of the currently elected members nearly everyone of them was rated a D or an F, so it looks like this is a conservadem movement. Exceptions - Marcia Fudge and Linda Sanchez are rated B and A respectively.

I'd support a leftdem movement to oust her, potentially, depending on who they rallied behind.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nemo Somen posted:

I know SA doesn't really like Pelosi, but she's likely better than the more conservative democrats, right?

I'm not sure if this counts as posting about posting, but I think the SA D&D regulars are mixed on Pelosi. If you're a left winger, you should prefer Pelosi to Tim Ryan, but still want someone else in the Speaker's chair. There's no doubt she's an excellent parliamentarian and has a strong hand on her whip. Depending on your ideology she may be too much of a capitalist. I don't think she's serving well as a "face of the party," but even there I wonder how much that perception is fueled by right wing attacks sinking into popular consciousness. There's also been a lot of discussion on whether "face of the party" is really a proper job requirement for a speaker. I tend to think it should be, at least right now.

To his credit, Tim Ryan mentions putting Fudge in the chair specifically and at least according to Progressive Punch (again, no idea about their methodology) she's decent. A change in face that's a lateral move ideologically could potentially be worth discussing. A rightward shift ideologically just to have a different face is absolutely a bad idea IMO.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 15, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bringing up progressive punch reminds me to ask, is there any generally accepted sort of ranking system where we can say who is most or least progressive/leftist/whatever?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

eke out posted:

Go look up Marcia Fudge and the Equality Act.

She was one of four dems, total, along with Donnelly and Manchin, to oppose it

Oh. Ew. OK, well, nevermind about that then.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Pelosi, last time she was in the Speaker's chair, was solidly in the left wing of national democrats. Doesn't mean everything the House produced between 2008-2010 was as progressive as she wanted, but she was pulling things to the left and trying to drag the remaining Blue Dogs along, and then trying to push the Senate into action farther to the left than they wanted to be. Between 2010-2014, she would generally be pushing less compromise and more fighting with Republicans than Reid/Obama were. People have really sort of bought into the Republican framing that she's Bad but without really a good feeling why she's bad.

I agree with this entirely, but I think it's incomplete without pointing out that the 2006-2010 Democratic party made a lot of mistakes about how far left to go (or really, not go). So while it is 100% true that she was the left of the party at that time I don't know how much that means for the 2018-2020 and forward party

evilweasel posted:

Replacing her with someone who is younger would be good, because it doesn't help the party's image that it's a bunch of ooooooooold people in House leadership and that nobody under the age of 60 has been given any real responsibility. But I think the best thing to do would be to keep her for the next two years, grooming a younger leadership team that could then have the house turned over to them in 2020.

It's a bad look and the blame has to go to Pelosi for failing to groom enough successors. I'd be fine with her staying on for 2 more years to groom a young successor but she should make it clear that's what she's doing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

(c) republicans have been trying to cut social security and medicare ever since they existed and also even before that

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

It only really ramped up in 2005 with Bush II's attempt to privatize social security (a big reason Republicans lost the House in 2006), and was a front-and-center issue for the "deficit" attacks on Obama. The public didn't really get the 'starve the beast' strategy at the time of the Bush II tax cuts, or the Reagan tax cuts. They get it now.

It's true the public didn't get it before, but I really think Democrats need to hammer home that Social Security and Medicare were passed by democrats, opposed by republicans, and hammer that every single election.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The IRS also has obnoxiously old computers. I remember reading that some big portion of the IT infrastructure is a holdover from the KENNEDY administration.

Edit: Article on subject.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/03/pf/taxes/irs-budget-cuts/index.html

Lol at COBOL. My dad was like the COBOL master lmfao.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

This alone is probably enough to kill any hope there was on Florida. Not going to make up 15k votes when one of your biggest vote sources isnt allowed to change its number due to bs

But they are still going to do a hand recount, which was the real chance for this.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

gently caress. I used to live in Pasco, family still does. This is scary.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised. Pasco is half super-white suburbs of Tampa, half farmland.

Land o' cows.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nelson Concedes Florida Senate Race
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/politics/bill-nelson-rick-scott-florida-recount-result/index.html

Does this mean the Broward undervote was really just people not really seeing the Senate Race because it came immediately after the instructions?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JFC. I know that the "the writers are getting lazy" trope is a bit overused but "South Florida fucks up a ballot design, olds are blind and dumb, leads to narrow republican win" is just too much for me to take a second time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

luxury handset posted:

i dont think you can fault people for failing to anticipate the nightmare scenario and a disintegration of american democracy through sheer voter insanity

No but a Romney or Rubio presidency was extremely predictable and would have been 90-95% as bad as far as courts are concerned.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Incoming Mexican government: no asylum deal with Trump

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bfa5d83e4b0eb6d930f3155

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It just seems bizarre that an incoming left wing Mexican president would be like "OK sure whatever you want" to a right wing US president who is vocally racist against Mexicans.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tibalt posted:

When you've got a president whose threatening to completely close the border, you don't really have a choice about at least talking to him and trying to resolve the situation.

Closing the southern border would torch the US economy as well. He's never going to close the border.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My understanding from news reports and discussions with work colleagues is that San Juan is mostly OK but the rural areas are still hosed.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

US life expectancy falls due to more overdoses and suicides. MAGA!

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bffb53ae4b027f1097aa36d

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hastings posted:

She is the loving cutest, seriously :kimchi: She's so passionate and adorable.

gross.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hastings posted:

Oh, well, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that. :) I guess I just didn't see it since I'm a woman who is around her age and I just want to share secrets and have slumber parties with her. If she can be accomplished and cute, then maybe I could be that too.

Hey, yeah, I was assuming this was coming from a neck beardy place. I apologise for the assumption.

If I, as a 300 lb sad man called her cute it would be gross. She's powerful, smart, etc.

Although, that said, while it's much less creepy given your demographics, it's still a bit wierd.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You can have positive feelings about people without idealizing anyone. Like yeah don't idealize people, but feel free to feel whatever positive poo poo you happen to feel for people. Politicians who make you feel human feelings because they actually shared a similar experience to you are 100% worth feeling good about

Post your anime drawings of her with cat ears and huge eyes, mate~

That's my private stock but find me on Deviant Art to commission something new.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Isn't "natural" gerrymandering worth about 3%? I'm having trouble finding a number but that's what I recall from looking at it before. Someone feel free to correct the actual number if you have it but basically that means even with machine drawn districts, Dems can win a slight majority and still lose.

What we need is proportional representation.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

What he means is that due to urban areas being ludicrously democratic and rural areas being republican but less so, most maps that are drawn without utilizing any sort of data on voting patterns will tend to have a moderate republican gerrymander.

Yes, exactly. Judicially drawn neutral districts still mean the Dems need a +x year to win the majority, due to urban clustering. I forget the value of x but I think it's about 3.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m Sorry But This Is Just Sheer Propaganda by Nathan Robinson for Current Affairs, on the whitewashing of HW and how American media sands the edges off our imperial leaders.

Thank you for posting this, it's fantastic.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/14/judge-rules-obamacare-unconstitutional-1066640

Judge rules Obamacare unconstitutional, endangering coverage for 20 million

quote:

A federal judge in Texas late Friday threw the health coverage of some 20 million Americans in limbo by ruling Obamacare must be scrapped because Congress struck the penalty for failing to obtain insurance coverage.

The invalidation of the landmark 2010 law is certain to send shock waves through the U.S. health system and Washington after a midterm election seen in part as a rebuke to Republican efforts to tear down Obamacare.

The decision will be immediately appealed, said California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, who led a group of blue states in intervening to defend the law. It could ultimately become the third major Obamacare case to be taken up by the Supreme Court, which has twice voted to uphold the law.

U.S. District Court Judge Reed O’Connor, a George W. Bush appointee in Fort Worth, Texas, issued the decision gutting the law in response to a lawsuit from 20 conservative-led states that sought to have the Affordable Care Act tossed out. They successfully argued that the mandate penalty was a critical linchpin of the law and that without it, the entire frameworks is rendered unconstitutional.

“In sum, the Individual Mandate ‘is so interwoven with [the ACA’s] regulations that they cannot be separated. None of them can stand,’” O’Connor wrote in his decision.

The decision came a little more than 24 hours before the sign-up period for 2019 Obamacare coverage is set to close.

Republicans zeroed out the mandate penalty as part of their 2017 overhaul of the tax code. It’s slated to disappear next year.

The Justice Department took the unusual stance of partially siding with the conservative states seeking to strike down the law. As a result, 16 mostly Democratic-led states intervened in the case to try and save Obamacare. But O’Connor didn’t agree with their argument that by striking the tax penalty but leaving the rest of the federal health care law in place, Congress had clearly indicated its belief that they weren’t inseparable.

Many legal experts are skeptical that the lawsuit will ultimately succeed. But the victory at the lower court level means that there will be a cloud hanging over the future of the law for months, if not years, to come.

House Democrats, who won back the chamber after campaigning heavily on defending protections for pre-existing conditions, have been weighing different options for saving Obamacare when their new majority is seated early next month. One possibility is passing a resolution authorizing the House general counsel to defend the health care law on the chamber's behalf.

The ruling puts the Trump administration and Republican lawmakers in a bind. They've promised to save pre-existing condition protections if the court threw them out, but for years been unable to agree on an Obamacare alternative that would maintain the law's stringent safeguards.

Seema Verma, the head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, who oversees Obamacare's insurance marketplaces, told reporters late last month the administration had a back-up plan if the court overturned the law. She declined to provide specifics at the time.

Neither the White House nor HHS immediately responded to requests for comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's who gets all the fbars manafort didn't file lol