Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

McLaren made the actual solar panel material, not the mechanism that opens them.

Just a guess.. did Honda make the mechanism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Beagle 2 was such a stereotypically British thing. A tiny budget, headed up by someone who looked like a homebrew enthusiast, and it didn't loving work.

Feel free to explain several other things that makes this a 'stereotypical' thing for you

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Up until the 60s there were British companies, at least in the motorcycle industry, who were capable of undertaking R&D, QA, and mass manufacturing on a large scale which produced products which were well designed and reliable by the standards of the day. At some point they just got tired and had some tea and a nap and haven't woken up yet.

British bikes were renowned for being giant oil leaks

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

McGuinty posted:

Whoever put in the work on this, god bless you. Even got the little TV in the back corner as the camera pans erratically.

Yet all of these going on atm forget the guy with the mobile filming

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

So here's teh thing about Lawrence Stroll. He loving genuinely loves motorsport and is the world's largest Ferrari collector and I'm pretty sure I drove past him on the highway thhe other day (I live in the Greater Toronto Area).

Lance or no Lance I'd be very surprised if he ditches his F1 team. It's something he's vied for years before the idea of inseminating a woman to create a piece of poo poo failson ever clicked together in his brain matter.

Pretty sure Vijay Mallya owned the team as a prestige thing than a sporting interest

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Major U.K. airport has been shut down because someone with drones has worked out how to bypass the jammers and avoid the helicopters and snipers. Military has been called in, only flaw in this plan is that the drones only show up when the runways are reopened.

Merry Christmas from broken Britain!

Jamming only works on frequency iirc,not difficult to work around

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Crawley loving sucks. I'm basing this on having been to their football ground once.

It's a good basis

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-will-have-to-justify-mercedes-seat/

Ocon in for 2020 then

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I made this joke on twitter once and a Welsh man called me racist
Consider yourself honoured, The Welsh will hate anything that isn't them, the only 'race' here is how fast they can call out people that make fun of them, big babies

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

You can't call it Teflon if it isn't a DuPont product, it's simply PTFE (learned this when a car product company I worked for claimed it had Teflon in it's wax... yeah they got sued)

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Not sure about that stuff but fried spam is delicious

Filipino food loves spam and I love Filipino food

Spam fritters are delicious

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Spam is disgusting unless sliced almost paper-thin and fried.

Hence the fritter

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wasn’t it a WW2 invention? “We know you guys are busy beating off back the Germans for the whimpy Brits, so here’s some ground up pig’s assholes & organs. But in a can.”
It's almost as if there isn't an online tool to help you find out

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I wonder if that time he tried to murder Rubens is in the app

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

quote:

Honda has already overtaken Renault
Just what? Keep spinning that line Marko

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Seriously though. They are like a trigger-happy premiership football team; any whiff of failure and everyone apart from the cleaning staff is out of the door.

Dunno, they are prone to that too
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/31/latin-american-cleaners-protest-noisily-outside-ferrari-showroom

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

muy irrespetuosos con ferrari

Stop talking poo poo

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

freeranger posted:

:allears:

Welcome back, please right the ship!

In non F1 racing news, Maldonardo is currently leading his class at the Daytona 24hr Race :)

Edit: And Alonso is 5th overall, 2.9s behind the leader

Just looked at the live timing Alonso P1 and fastest driver

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Did anybody else take advantage of the current Kimoa promo, where you buy one pair of sunglasses and get the second pair free? I did and I'm gonna look snazzy as hell. Use promo code GAYBONA.

e: DAYTONA

Certainly doesn't work in the UK, even their link from the main site screws up and I had to guess what the link should be, and the best ones I could see were sold out... poo poo company

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

But what if max wins the WDC with a honda?

He won't

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Will the toxxes be posted in the season op? I've already forgot who I bet an avatar against. I think I bet Kimi will podium at some point?

Said it once, will say it again Toxx's have lost their value

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Then make a big toxx on something?

Why? Toxx's are for attention whores that's why it was there

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidpoocati posted:

You must be a real blast at parties.
Ask yourself that same question

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Gotta be a test livery, but weird camo look

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-teases-new-look-livery-launch/4333217/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Danny Ric is a bit pissed Ferrari or Merc didn't give him an offer
https://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo-still-frustrated-over-ferrari-mercedes-snub/

Edit: lol you don't have to be Columbo to guess who
http://f1i.com/news/325626-ricciardo-still-wonders-who-vetoed-his-move-to-ferrari.html

djssniper fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 10, 2019

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

That Williams livery is an abomination

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Stroll GP will manage to be worse

Not sure how you beat that awful gradient but I'm willing to see

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Ah this explains the awful livery

quote:

said Williams. "We spent quite a lot of time on this livery, it's all done in-house

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-williams-almost-different-livery/4336335/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Hmmmm

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-tight-new-car-ready-testing/4336459/

"In a bid to maximise development time for its designers, Renault elected to hold back on finalising the specification of its RS19 for as long as it could.

As a consequence, the build time of the car had to be compressed and, with some delays along the way, the final parts are still not ready.

Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished.

Managing director Cyril Abiteboul says that while he still thinks the team can make testing, he says a shakedown planned for Saturday at Barcelona is now in doubt."

F1 speak for "oh cock"

Ah Honda manifest

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Glad you bothered to learn the rest Dan

quote:

Ricciardo injected a moment of humour into the launch when, asked by Cyril Abiteboul, why he had taken the risk in joining Renault, he replied: “Bonjour! Je m’appelle Daniel! I just wanted to learn French, that’s why I’m doing this.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-take-the-covers-off-the-r-s-19/

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I have no idea what a mguh or a mguk is, they sound like Thai hookers. I prefer the term "engine"

I think Power Unit is the new engine

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You guys ever think about the fact that former Worst Thread all-Star NickTheNorse was a longtime Renault aerodynamicist, and Renault's current technical director is Nick Chester?

Not really NickTheNorse wasn't that high up the chain in Renault, and tbh given the current status of this thread over the last few years not surprised he doesn't bother here anymore

Edit: however https://twitter.com/nickthenorse looks like he left F1 in 2010 and has a great career in Norway... explains the username, good for him, he was a thread superstar

djssniper fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 16, 2019

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah this thread got way too good
Reread my post, edited after someone msgd me

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Was it Hefe?????
I wish, it wasn't a Medium

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Was it a Large

I really should have said Clairvoyant but hope the guys ok, any news on him?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

freeranger posted:

Ha, thought I would look up what my friends brother is up to these days....

Turns out he is the head of the vehicle performance group for Reanult's F1 team.

Oh and wow, reading his wiki page... he is the one who made the call to have Alonso pit in 2010 to cover Webber, handing Vettel the F1 title....

Yep Alonso was totally driving for Renault then....

Edit: Duh, probably worked for Ferrari back then

djssniper fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 16, 2019

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Double post

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The Williams film is on BBC2 tonight for the UK goons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002p1x

And it's pretty good

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

freeranger posted:

I have a feeling this was asked a few days ago, but I dont remember it being answered.

Is testing being broadcast anywhere this year? Was the F1 streaming site meant to show it? Anyone else?

Oh, and we all know the real reason Williams had to postpone their first day of testing.... they needed to change their livery!

Normally sky has a Teds Notebook update at the end of each test day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

gret posted:

LOL COTA lost their $20 million funding from Texas for the 2018 race due to an administrative fuckup on their part.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/circuit-of-the-americas-denied-20m-state-funding-from-2018-f1-race/1796954274

Europeans are not allowed to laugh at this due to GDPR