Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You know, America, i will never end to be amazed by the fact you elected a pant making GBS threads geriatric "self-proclaimed" genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Agronox posted:

we also have this creaking weird-rear end 18th century system that means that whoever gets more votes doesn't necessarily win
Well first time we used universal suffrage (okay, not for women) in a direct election, we elected the soon-to-coup-d'état-himself Napoleon III president. Everyone gently caress up from time to time, just ask the Germans.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

twoday posted:

Because they have EU flags on them, twitter seems to think that they are German tanks being driven by George Soros, but I think they are just local riot control vehicles
Oh yeah, yes they are but Jacob Wohl, the Mozart of bullshit, such a well informed person, think it's a SS tank here to reimpose the German occupation. Happy he took sometime on his fight against sexual harassment the enemies of daddy-figure Trump to share the opinions of his smooth brain with the world. You Americans should burn the Twitter servers farm, you would do the world a favor.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Stop apologizing for the Inquisition. Also, I'm still angry about the Vendee.
My favorites are the ones who claim that "they won the vendee war".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Avirosb posted:

Wait, better public services with less taxes?
Less taxes on the lower classes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Relevant to the current discussion:
https://twitter.com/AllanBARTE/status/1067416049358958592

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

German flags and signs about Canada(one with the Canada flag even), that's one pretty weird french protest. But i guess we must applaud the efforts. At least some of the places look vaguely European.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

i hope teump doesnt wear a yellow vest
He is more into brown shirts.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dreddout posted:

Chuds desperately want the yellow vest protests to be a right wing thing
Yeah, see it's actually all about America and the republicans against the democrats, like everything else in the world. :rolleyes:
It's not about you, America. :sigh:

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Dec 10, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well gently caress, the Duke of ANJOU, Louis de Bourbon support les gilets jaunes:
https://www.legitimite.fr/single-po...s-gilets-jaunes

quote:

Français, mes chers compatriotes,

Alors que se développe de semaine en semaine sur toute l’étendue du territoire national, le mouvement de protestation et de contestation des « Gilets Jaunes », je tiens à exprimer ma solidarité et ma profonde compassion pour ceux qui souffrent, dénués de ressources, écrasés de charges, humiliés et privés d’Espérance, et qui n’ont d’autre moyen d’expression que de se lever comme un seul homme pour manifester leur déception, leur angoisse et leur colère. Ces Français, c’est la majorité silencieuse qui se tait depuis des décennies et dont certains avaient oublié l’existence. Aujourd’hui c’est le peuple de France qui se dresse pour défendre son mode de vie et sa dignité.

Il est essentiel de l’entendre, essentiel de prendre en compte ses légitimes aspirations.

Bien sûr, il faut condamner et bannir le recours à la violence de certains groupes extrêmes qui cherchent à exploiter ce mouvement profondément populaire pour déstabiliser l’Etat. Cette violence coupable et stérile ne peut que favoriser la cause de ceux qui ne veulent pas entendre le cri de tout un peuple.

En ce jour de l’Immaculée Conception, je confie la France à Notre Dame qui est la vraie Reine de France.

Que Dieu protège la Fille aînée de Son Eglise, que Dieu vienne en aide aux Français malheureux, démunis et souffrants. Qu’Il leur rende l’Espérance et la foi en l’avenir de notre pays qui doit se relever et renouer avec tout ce qui en a constitué la grandeur autant que la paix des cœurs et la douceur de vivre.

Louis,
Duc d’Anjou
Well if even the Bourbons want to troll the president now...
Edit: Still waiting for the Bonapartist claimant, apparantly the orleanist one already supported the gilets too.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Dec 10, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Guys I have a brilliant plan to put a stop to these riots.

Un mars et ça repart!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Reality Winter posted:

What's french for cucks
'Cocu' and like said sooner like in english it's also derived from the french for the cuckoo bird and the central subject for a tons of late 19th century vaudeville theater acts which make the current "CUCK" phase of American politics really really funnier than it should be.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Dec 13, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That but with boater hats.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Is it running out of steam? :(
It's the end of Autumn and it's cold as gently caress. Next spring is going to be fun.
edit: it's snowing outside as i type.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Dec 15, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I mean I admire the balls on our boy Macron here too. He's so true to his beliefs that he won't raise the wages or pay the overtime of the only people standing between him and an angry mob setting up guillotines because... they're :siren: public servants :siren:.
Also a reminder that he literally started his presidency by making GBS threads on the army (you know the thing that include the gendarmerie too).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Reality Winter posted:

Manu is a proud boy
That moment when American liberals realize they backed a 38 years old Trump wannabe because he promised them a "wall against facism". Enjoy your steel slats.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Dec 22, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Byolante posted:

So how long until people finally accept the russiagate narrative is a whole cloth production of the neolibs to combat anyone they don't like and has no foundation in fact whatsoever
Doesn't matter how long, even if it was debunked to the utmost degree, the true believers will still believe. Also i wouldn't say it has "no" foundation, just that while the Russians are trying to influence foreign election, it's rarely to the level (or the efficiency) the narrative pretend they are.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tastykake posted:

french police would probably precipitate an actual revolution doing that tho
Yeah, it's literally how Louis Phillipe lost power in 1848 but with soldiers shooting protestors.
e: lol i just started reading some of my history books about it and the man with the torch that scared the gently caress out of the military to the point of getting shoot had apparently a yellow waistcoat.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Jan 5, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Byolante posted:

Why would a far right boxer talk to a left wing lawyer
To drive the centrist insane.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I can't help but smile at Wauquiez's poo poo numbers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Hey I bet all the questions suck rear end.
Doesn't matter, French people historically never answer the government's questions in the referendum and just use the referendum to question the government and ask them why they are still there.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

...Frexit?!?
Not all referendum are about quitting the EU, genius.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, who let the no fun brigade in. Clearly this is why France needs blue passports.
Sorry, i saw 200+ version of your post on twitter already, i felt the need to shout my frustration here.
But seriously, it's not because "Brexit referendum" is all you heard for the last 2 years, that all referendums are about quitting the eu... even if Macron could be stupid enough to put frexit on the table, assuming(wrongly i think) the Remain vote would win and gain him some political clout. No, he is stupid enough to try a FREXIT scenario and fail, so loving stop playing with my nerves shouting "FREXIT", thanks.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the only thing surprising about this is the political longevity of Le Pen. She's lost what, three elections now? You'd think for how popular the far right movement is in France, they'd have replaced her with someone even more cretinous
This isn't America with the stupid two parties system, some people lost the presidential election's second round and won it later. Mitterand (who lost on the second round twice: first against DeGaulle and then against Giscard) and Chirac (who lost it against Mitterand) both ended up president after their defeat. Her dad was a candidate since 1974 before even reaching the second round in 2002.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Feb 9, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

same speech, says he's going after BDS and anti-Israel boycotts

talks about the threat of islamism in the hood, and the need for a republican conquest there

gave that speech to the CRIF, kinda the equivalent to AIPAC
:laffo: ni de droite, ni de gauch- *INSPIRE* mais surement pas de gauche.

I guess Macron like racist countries surrounded by giant walls.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Drawing "Macron demission" graffitis : hop hop hop perquisition à 5h du mat et en garde à vue les petits cons
They really loving want a student movement this spring. Because a bunch of 17 years old losing their eyes to the cops' flashballs will help them somehow.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^good and cool then. It's just Castaner panicking.

Yinlock posted:

is a chaud a french chud
Nope, chaud is just "hot". A chud in French is "un beauf".

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

one macron mp (aurore bergé) even said she wont shop there anymore
See this sentence is funny because her dad (Alain Dorval) dubs Stallone in all french version of his movies.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Feb 26, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

im upset that the french dub of every single american action star isnt done by jean claude van damme
Are you aware of JCVD's awareness?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Oh god, i hope its not the quanon fash trash
Some will be there, they will meet a pretty average french police response and we will hear them bitch about it for years.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

After all, they haven't killed any protesters (he really said this).
Yet.

Kassad posted:

A country with a pro-business leader going fash? Why would they do that?
It's like capital is so afraid of wealth redistribution they always choose a fascist over even a slightly higher tax rate.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That's a fair point, it's nice that Algeria is finally getting better after 20 years of wheelchair management.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's so sad that bar for super rich people wasn't insured. Now those poor millionaire owners will have to live with increased insurance rates. :rolleyes:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

dirty lousy tramp posted:

what country do they want back if netherlands is fake? holland?
Spain obviously.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Deus Ex was right, France is the front line on the meme wars
majestic 12 took my mother prisoner

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mila kunis posted:

off topic but i know someone trying to learn french, and in addition to taking classes she wants to watch youtubes/whatever of french shows or movies with subtitles in her free time to immerse herself more. any recommendations?
"Au service de la france"/"A Very Secret Service" should be one netflix.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

The current republic was literally set up by a dude who was nicknamed "The General" and was "invited" to take power after an attempted military coup d'état (to defend the continued colonization of Algeria), so the authoritarian streak is really not surprising. They don't really talk about that episode in history or civics classes, funnily enough.
They don't talk of the Commune in details either.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay that's vomit inducing...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

I've been listening to the College de France podcast, their last couple episodes have been about migration. Turns out this "ethnic minorities wouldn't be persecuted if we deported them all and made the country a white ethnostate, haven't thought of that did you libtards??" attitude goes back to the 60s. Back then they were freaking out about black people from the Antilles coming to the métropole.
LOL my Italian ancestors were already stealing the poor Frenchmen jobs in the 1880s, it was the exact same poo poo. It was just we were "too catholics" and sent to France "by the evil pope to destroy Laicité thanks to our exploding catholic lust for babymaking". It doesn't matter where you are from or the actual color of your skin or your religion, there is always an rear end in a top hat trying to gain some political edge by othering you. :france:

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Breaking news: Red Scarves counter-protest under way at Bastille.

https://twitter.com/YahooActuFR/status/1114860940019867649

:popeye:
"Yeah plus de filmeurs que de filmés!" :laugh:
edit: ils vont encore être 10000+ selon la police.