Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm running around Monarch with two followers atm, which is so packed full of mobs that it's like I'm playing a WoW expansion, and I'm already sick of this game's rock-paper-scissors combat where you have to figure out which weapon you have isn't absolute trash against X monster.

Also the game doesn't seem to have as deep a world as say a Fallout title--Fallout you can get lost in one corner of the map picking through side dungeons. Not so much here.

Those are the two really bad things I can say about it. If you like F:NV it should be on your list. If you demand anything more ambitious than that gameplay-wise, look elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I shot Tobson straight off after Parveta joined my party, which led to every named character in town deciding to attack me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

This is what I feel like a completely average game. So...

It's not the best, it's Gamer's Choice

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Scorchy posted:

Are people just looking to this game to affirm their own politics and give them a pat on the head or something? They present a world where corporations won and everyone else is just living (miserably) in it. And at the end of the day everyone's still a human. Yeah everyone is presented as flawed, with different motivations and competing interests, and... that's a bad thing? People just want this to be a Sith vs. Jedi, capitalists vs. anti-capitalists thing, so they can feel better about themselves? I'm not sure how you get a centrist reading out of the theme, especially after getting bashed over the head with the opposite within the 10 minutes of getting to Edgewater. If you don't want centrist compromise outcomes then don't pick the centrist options.

If there's an actual message, it's certainly not debating whether corporations are good or not; it's that effecting societal change requires loving people over, a lot of whom don't deserve it. Saying "burn it all down" is easiest for those who are secure in the knowledge it's not their house that will be burned down.

The game definitely does not jump at the thought of leftism being inherently good and that's OK food for thought, but at the same time paints a failed capitalist state with people cartoonishly brainwashed into abjectly accepting failure, misery, and finally death over the course of generations as a worthy second choice. Part of the reason the game so clearly meshes with the Fallout experience is that no habitation I've visited so far is any more advanced than your average Fallout shantytown or burnt-out city.

Continuing to pursue the current course will cause the colonies to fail and everyone to die straight-up, but if I take away Edgewater's power I have to listen to sick people asking in horror about who turned the power off and "live with the consequences of my choice" as if they would have lived had I sided with the very corporatists who are killing them, often directly (the generator plant's state is the result of a crime against humanity) to make number go up. That's a false dilemma.

The actual dilemmas in the game are "sane and rational behavior" vs. "end stage capitalism ghoul" vs. "gently caress all this, I'm a sociopath who likes to watch the light go out of peoples' eyes when I run them through." So, generally, nothing terribly deep even for a Fallout game. The writers don't get this though; if you do the first thing, the game criticizes you and acts like the story's far more nuanced than it is.

That's where the accusations of the game being written by centrist "both sides have good points" scum is coming from.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Infinite seemed to have a very troubled development that explains some of it's issues. People who worked on it said there was enough cut content for 5 or 6 different games, including two completely different multiplayer modes that were scrapped a year before release. Early press previews seemed to indicate that the game was originally supposed to be much more open and less linear than what we ended up getting. It sounds like they came up with a ton of ideas, before realizing it wasn't coming together and they were running out of time. They took all the best pieces and tried to cobble them together into a fairly standard shooter at the last minute.

Better that than give birth to another Mass Effect Andromeda.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I haven't found Outer Worlds super offensive or anything, but after putting a few hours into it my urge to return to it just isn't there and I don't think I've touched it in three months. There's nothing wrong with it so much as it's so dedicated to replicating New Vegas and doing pretty much nothing else that it's very dry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Digital Osmosis posted:

The best bad-guy ending is Alpha Protocol's. After getting a crash course in the power of the military industrial complex and being betrayed approximately ten thousand times complete and utter cynicism makes a certain amount of sense. Also the way it plays out is loving hilarious.

The new Deus Ex games are pretty loving good. Not at the level of writing I'd like but not embarrassing either, there's a handful of characters I ended up caring a bit about and the world is coherent enough to be engaging without being mind-bending or incisive or anything. Phenomenal world, character, and level design too. I just wish the second one had an actual ending.

Even in this cut scene I can barely stand how ugly these character models are in a game that's not old enough to justify that. It's like Smackdown CAW meets Deadly Premonition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This isn't that good of a game and a "remaster" of a two-year old game is an absolute cash grab.