Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Omi no Kami posted:

"Your strongest option continues to remain the parry, no matter what you want."

So I'm enjoying Reggie Souls but I think this is my last best friends anything, because holy poo poo I am so tired of Woolie's sanctimoniously being wrong about everything and inability to think of or describe anything in terms other than FGC bullshit.

I saw a clip of the DeS playthrough where Reggie was kind of summing up the stamina system as tabletop actions, and while it was a wobbly comparison, it was a lot better than a lot of Woolie's fighting game comparisons when talking about Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

The really weird thing is, like, who the heck cares- everyone digests information differently, and making something relevant to your experience is a key part of learning... but it feels like Woolie literally cannot think about a video game in non-FGC terms, and I can't stop hearing it when he starts getting in on Reggie about footsies and spacing and counterhits, and, like, holy poo poo- Reggie was so much closer to understanding the game when he was smashing his face into 1-1 and 1-2 than he is now. Weirdly enough I didn't care when it was Pat giving advice that was pushy but usually at least 30-50% accurate, but so far Demon's feels like Reggie saying or trying semi-accurate things, and Woolie bullying him away from the truth and towards The Woolie Way.

(Case in point, they're 10+ hours into Demon's Souls and Reggie is under the impression that shields suck and are never the answer, holy poo poo guys.)

I remember Pat backing off around episode 12 of the DS2 playthrough, only occasionally chiming in to tell Woolie to stop doing footsie and just attack the enemies.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I wish they'd get Slowbeef on. Woolie and Pat had a great dynamic with him when they were on his podcast back in the day.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I think the point where I started noticing something wrong was the RE5 LP. Pat was being aggressive about how Matt played (give me that, not gonna upgrade your gun, etc.), and Matt barely said a word for whole episodes.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I think it was the Demon's Souls stream, for me- Matt very obviously didn't want to be there, 90% of his interjections were yelling pop culture words or telling the others how little he cared about Demon's Souls, and the poor dude spent the entire stream drinking himself into a coma.

That was a really disappointing playthrough. I was actually just like Pat in that I picked up Dark Souls and threw it right back down, thinking it wasn't for me. It was years later when I saw their DS2 LP and Pat explained away a lot of the mystery in the mechanics that I was able to finally pick up and play through the series. I liked all of their Souls playthroughs, even the DS3 one where Matt may as well not have been there. I was looking forward to the DeS run as I had no real interest in finding my PS3 to go back and try it, but woof was that a bad stream. Liam and the one guest were constantly doing the "oooooh wait until you get to the next room, Woolie!" type of stuff and the video quality was not great.

Just looked it up, and there were like no Matt/Pat playthroughs after RE5, just stuff like Shitstorm and some quickies.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I've probably said it in this thread a handful of times but I had a friend who was a huge fan of Souls, gifted it to me on Steam, and I basically did the same; got frustrated early, put it down, forgot about it.

When they got around to DS1, Pat explaining how to build a character and seeing Woolie beat Tauros (where I got stuck/gave up?) made me give it another shot. It was a total blast to get ahead of Woolie and know what was coming. I'm pretty sure I actually watched all the DS3 LP, but remembered so little of it that it wasn't a problem when I got around to playing it.

My problem with Souls was the stats. I didn't really understand scaling and if there were diminishing returns on stats, and what I should be chasing. Any time I'd ask Souls people, though, they'd say something like "Get the Drake Sword and Dragon Crest shield, and then go to..." I could not get them to understand that numbers was where my brain block was. Just having Pat say "this is how scaling works, and the ceiling for DEX/STR is 40. Now let's have some fun," was what cleared up the fog and just let me start digging into the games.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Dammit Matt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shv5vsHOER4

Please get someone to do these with already. This is an interesting story but gently caress the delivery method is still terrible.

What Happened? is the best thing he puts out, really. I find his game showcases to be kind of dull. I really liked The Bug Report because he did have people to help him out with commentary.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Matt sometimes does videos on good games with interesting or tumultuous developments, like Demon's Souls.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

Matt’s solo poo poo is rough. But the sonic playthroughs with Liam are gold.

Yeah, their Sonic '06 LP is the only LP of that game I've seen that I've found watchable. They cut out a lot of the roughness that other playthroughs deal with.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It gives me hope that a maladjusted, petty, pasty, ginger disaster can end up with someone great like Pat.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It was originally Pat that turned me away from the channel. I checked out Best Friends when they were first getting big, which was around the time that people like Pewdiepie were blowing up. I heard Pat yelling for like twenty seconds and gave up. It was much later when he was on Slowbeef's podcast that I found Pat to be pretty fun and really funny, so I decided to give the Friendcast clips a listen. I got to the segment where they were making GBS threads themselves over getting anime BluRays when I realized that Pat is actually just that passionate about his hobbies, as I couldn't imagine any big-name LPers actually giving that much of a poo poo about anime BluRays. Anyway, I think that Pat probably cares more about creating a watchable product than most streamers or LPers, even to his own detriment. He starts getting really pushy towards the end of SBFP's run when he doesn't have the controller in his hands. On the other hand, his dedication to making something watchable and entertaining makes him the only streamer I can stand watching as a result.

Woolie would be unwatchable to me without Reggie. Minh seems like he got all of his idea for gaming content from awful big-name gaming channels, and tries to emulate it (Woolie seemed legit done with him at times when Minh would try to crack jokes during the worst parts of Spec Ops). VMills is okay, but I'm a little tired of his "mmmm I can't wait to see what you think of this next part oohohhoh" commentary and I'd like to see them do some more stuff that V is less familiar with before I make up my mind on him. Reggie just gives off good vibes whether he's familiar or unfamiliar with the game. I think he would have fit in really well if he had been a regular on Best Friends.

Matt should stay away from trying to commentary over gameplay, at least without help. I like What Happened and I liked The Bug Report a lot because they drew off of his knowledge and had people who he could have good conversations with. I don't like his game showcases that consist of jump cuts between him moving characters around a screen for a few seconds and then stopping to talk for a few minutes. I like when he has people to bounce off of or when he can draw on his experiences in the gaming industry or his passion for movies (that Predator video he did was really fun and the editing was great).

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Grouchio posted:

You're in luck! LittleV is just as new to Like a Dragon as Woolie is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZt1DmaT4AI

Haven't dived into that yet. I literally just finished 0, and I wasn't psyched about watching it right away.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Arkham games are in that space where the open world is supposed to exist to let you use the fun stealth and combat mechanics, but they went too hard into the open world aspect to create a hard-to-navigate and over-ambitious nightmare in having to traverse Arkham Knight's overworld. I can't really stand playing actual Arkham campaigns, but I will dig into the optional combat trials any day of the week.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Getting to Yokohama in Like a Dragon doesn't take much. The problem is that the beginning of the game is aggressive with its cutscenes. It's genuinely on the level of the intro of a Persona game. I have 6 hours logged into LaD, and I only just now properly got to walk around Yokohama for the first time. You really can't fiddle around much in the early game either, as you don't really earn a ton of money to have fun. So Woolie will likely get a good chunk of whatever you can call progress in this game.

The story is interesting, and I have to say that it's actually genuinely funny at parts. I do feel like there was just an hour of full-motion cutscenes that I feel could have played as flashbacks later on. I like Yakuza games a lot and LaD seems like it'll eventually get fun, but I've been bored to tears by the intro of the game so far.

And turning Reggie away from magic wasn't necessarily the worst idea. The trap that lots of Souls newbies get into is treating it like lots of other RPGs, thinking they'll be spamming chain lightning or fireballs after a few levels. Then when they realize that's not the case, they tend to drop the game. It was kind of a dumb idea to tell Reggie that his internalization of the mechanics was wrong, but I don't think the playthrough has really suffered from it.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 19, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

My favorite moments of the Best Friends videos were Matt's laughter outbursts (usually when Pat accidentally uses a healing or special item and gets mad about it).

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I reinstalled Arkham City to see if I misremembered the combat (I know it's more polished than Asylum, but it's the same core mechanics), and I just do not understand what gave Woolie so much trouble. Batman flies across the room with the slightest input, and everyone's tells are extremely clear. It makes a bit more sense if he never learned that the analog stick determines who you attack, which is what it looked like, but I don't get how you could play for more than a few minutes without doing that accidentally.

The one thing I can kinda see being tricky are counters, since it's not obvious that direction + triangle will magnetize batman into countering a strike from across the room until you try it, but I'm honestly kind of impressed at how hard it is to make that system look as awkward and unfun as the LP.

I played Asylum again recently, and it has kind of reverse-sequel jump problem like having to go from Doom Eternal back to Doom 2016, where the sequel ramps up the combat so hard that when you go back to the slower first game, you can kind of get wrecked because your rhythm is off. You tend to be able to magnetize to enemies more easily and over longer distances in the Arkham sequels as well.

When people call Arkham games "rhythm games" they're really understating it. If you want to hit an enemy in Arkham games, you really just have to point the joystick in the right direction, and I think Woolie is really overthinking the mechanics of the combat like it's Tsushima or something.

I am gonna say that I wasn't really fond of the stealth gameplay until Arkham Knight. The appeal of stealth in the first three games was that it was fun to freak out the enemies so that you could feel like Batman, but most of the stealth arenas could be simply beaten using nothing but gargoyle takedowns unless you wanted to go for variety.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

There was also Killing Floor 2 but I got so drained after its disastrous run in Early Access. It got better, but I still hear "JUST LIKE STALINGRAD, FOOLS" and pull my hand away from reinstalling it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

i got burned out by AoT when the super grimdark started. Didn't think it was fascism or any of that poo poo, i'm just done with 'become the baddie to beat the baddies, FACE TO BLOODSHED' poo poo. Kinda glad I bailed early.

I watched the first season. I was really enjoying it until Eren turned into a Titan. I'm a fairweather casual anime watcher, and I was into the idea that AoT didn't have superpowers or transformations or anything like that. People being able to turn into titans kind of hurt what first appealed to me. Also I get bored of the traumatized dark faces and the fact that the idiot soldiers never seem to be able to notice eighty foot giants approaching them through an open field.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Listening to Woolie mentally calculus his no-skill entry-level QA job into being the most critical role in game development is a hell of a thing. Like, I get it- he knows a lot about QA and it's definitely a vital part of development, but I'm so tired of Woolie going "As someone who did QA ten years ago I have a lot of game development experience, and..." and proceeding to talk out his rear end about poo poo he genuinely doesn't have any understanding of or insight into.

You've been really weird about Woolie, man.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I couldn't watch all of Nier Automata, Liam made that LP so incredibly frustrating.

Now that I think about it, I've never watched any of the Liam LPs. Not out of any sort of preference, mind. I just didn't start watching the channel until shortly before it shut down.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

My only real experience with Liam was the podcast clip where he really went to bat for Mighty No. 9 and that was rough to listen to.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I just like playing the kinds of strategy and tactics games that reward you for executing a good ambush, flank, or other type of maneuver without loving you over with goofball RNG. I even liked Gears Tactics and Mutant Year Zero because when those games said 75% I felt less lovely than I did in in XCOM when I set up a perfect overwatch and flank with 99% chances all around and missed every shot.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Sixteen VODs deep and Paige's Dark Souls 2 playthrough is now just Plague saying "this game/area sucks" and telling her everything that she's about to come across. Essentially puppeteering her is kinda ruining an otherwise fun LP.

Glad they're bringing back everyone's favorite parts about the SBFP Demon's Souls stream.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

DS2 suffers from obvious development problems with its featureless square rooms and some really unfinished bosses, but I like the lore a lot and it still has some really neat areas. I think it's fine, but it's definitely a weird entry into the series. I wish that one day I could get a PS5 and actually experience DeS

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

There was a part in one of the DLCs that had a crypt with spikes on the floor and it's one of my most hated areas in any game.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Dabir posted:

You do understand that not liking a game you like isn't a personal attack, yes?

You're being more intense than anyone you're talking to.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I always liked playing the big beefyboy builds in Dark Souls 1 and 2, and you couldn't really make a brick shithouse in 3 that was as satisfying as the first two games.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Well the devs probably learned that "GiantDad" was something that shouldn't be allowed to exist anymore. :v:

Every time I replay DS1 I eventually just give up on whatever build I'm making and gravitate towards Black Iron/Havel's with a different weapon.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I would spitshine the floors at Bluepoint for free if they ever decided to do a proper remake of DS2. Imagine what the Dragon Aerie would look like.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Its been almost five years since I caught on with that. Will never forget that podcast where Pat was upset that he promoted Mighty Number 9 so heavily, and thus got people to waste their money. Liam then made fun of him for feeling bad about a game he didn't make.

That was my introduction to Liam and it was not a good first impression. Granted, Pat said some outlandish stuff but Liam going hard in on defending MN9 was so bizarre. Like, had he ever played a 2D side-scrolling action game at all before that?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Woolie pleads insanity. His spoilerocrisy is balls out.
He will no longer protect people against spoilers any more than usual.
He admits he is as crazy as Pat.
Nightmare ended.

He has only stated the first ideal.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

You can also just kick a boiler and die of a heart attack and lose twenty minutes of progress in Disco, so whatever helps the playthrough I guess.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Started listening to old podcast episodes at work today. I think I need to watch some of the Liam LPs that you guys linked to get a better opinion of him because man he is frustrating to listen to in a lot of these. The logic jumps he makes to not criticize Peter Molyneux or Might No. 9 are insane.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

RE:8's release has really highlighted that I've not discovered anyone who fills the same viewing niche for me that the old best friends channel did.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not hugely interested in long single-vid streams or chat interaction, just love some good banter over gameplay tbh.

Yeah, it sucks. I got into SBFP because they felt like the natural extension of something like Men Drinkin' Coffee or The Freelance Astronauts. The only people I've seen come close to SBFP are the Oneyplays guys. They only ever play games that they can play well, but they can often just not talk about the game for stretches of time and while they're putting more effort into not being problematic, they can still make me cringe. They're still probably the only LP guys that can make me laugh with any regularity, though.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Dumb opinion alert but I thought Oneyplays would be up my alley but find myself getting turned off quickly at just how negative they are towards all the games they play, which gets old & is annoying to me :shobon: I guess I'm drawn towards that mix of passion that SBFP would provide for me

However, all their compilations on youtube involving Zach are 100% gold. Maybe I just need to skip everything w/o Zach in it

Agreed on both accounts. I was pulled into SBFP by the fact that they were like the only channel from the Youtube LP Explosion that actually seemed like they enjoyed video games. And yeah, Zach is super funny. I hope he does more stuff with Adult Swim.

One video that sticks out in my mind is when they were playing flash games and they slowly realize that Tomar voices the character in some Battle Nun game.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 10, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah, I definitely agree on SBFP being like the last fun video crew. It's such a shame that the SA LP forum became such a land of backseat modders and tattle-talers who demanded that posters only create monotone bullshit.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

What do you mean became?

For better or worse it basicallycame to exist because of a tyrian 2000 lp not being up to par :v

I remember the dogpiling of Crab being such a weird and creepy rallying point. His LPs were kinda poo, but who cares? I remember giving up around the time that any fun new thread had the inevitable "Did you check with the sandcastle before posting this?" post as the first reply.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Haha what's really funny about my own post about this is I forgot I literally discovered SBFP through Woolie and Pat appearing on the retsupurae podcast back in like...2014? I remember having it on driving home from visiting family out of state and thinking "wow I should check them out, these guys are funny and sound legit passionate about games" in a way I had never, ever heard before :unsmith:

That was how I discovered them, too. Retsutalk was a really good podcast in general. I'd love if Beef could go on Superbeast.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

My favorite Retsupurae videos were generally the ones where they picked on mean or disingenuous people, or had a positive vibe (like Electrical Beast or Cornshaq). This was probably my favorite mean-spirited one because the entertainment is derived from the guy being the worst kind of trend-hopper at the time:

D A I L Y * V L O G S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

What? No.

*scrunched and panicked Wahlberg face*