Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You talking about this? Fakest poo poo I've ever seen but I'm glad that D&D directs allow for this kind of classic fake video game announcement photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

My 11-year-old niece is majorly into Stranger Things and wants to play D&D. As her nerd uncle I feel it's my duty to make sure she's introduced to the world of RPGs in the most fun way possible.

I was just going to run a 5e one-shot for her and drop any boring stuff on the fly but at that point it's probably not D&D anymore. Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple RPG with a DnD lite-feel (rolling d20s and all that good stuff) that I can I can teach her quickly and pass off as the real thing?
Just run D&D, I ran a game for my also Stranger Things obsessed niece and nephew for most of the last year and it went great. An 11 year old isn't going to have a problem figuring it out and 5e is easy anyway. Chances are good that her friends also are interested in D&D if not already playing so she might not be as interested in another ttrpg as specifically name brand Dungeons and Dragons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I'm curious if there's a like, random villager token thing for foundry, one generic Actor in the actors pane but a different rng name, token, etc when you drag it out to the map.
You can use wildcards in the token path to pull random images from a directory, that's built in. For names I like Token Mold.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm about to start a new campaign for my niece and nephew and kinda thinking about sneakily setting it adjacent to the new D&D movie so they get weirded out when there's a bunch of stuff they recognize. I know gently caress all about FR though beyond the video games, never had a group interested in published settings so FR passed me by. I think the movie's set in Neverwinter, is there anything around there that's iconic enough that it might appear based on the like, 2 minute trailer that comprises all anyone knows about it, or is this a total fools errand and I should just namedrop some poo poo and call it a day.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't get tricked into playing Level Up, is my stance. The DM books are better written and more useful than the 5e DMG but anything player facing :whitewater:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Bee posted:

What's the deal with Level Up? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of it.
Mostly I think its a bit oversold calling it "Advanced 5th Edition" and putting out a whole line of hardbacks for it when really its just a prettied up version of the thing that every third party writes for 5e at least once: all the stuff from the old editions that people want that the 5e books excise. Overland and dungeon exploration rules, social rules, downtime rules, more complicated equipment etc, and lots of little tables and specific rulings for things. But not even like, a particularly good one of those books imo mechanically, there are a lot of better choices if you're looking for those things. Then in order to make it a standalone line and pad the page count they throw in a bunch of questionable classes, spells, magic items, all that, that by design kinda needs to reduplicate the official stuff but also is probably not fully compatible with them either. Its very well written and edited though, even if I don't like most of the mechanics it gives way better direction for the DM than the lovely 5e DMG, the monster manual is pretty good, and I also kinda like their dungeon design sourcebook which has a really interesting formalized approach to building dungeons.

I guess my :whitewater: is a little strong, its Fine if you want to play D&D 5e specifically without giving WOTC any money but also I think there's better and more interesting ways to do that. Its a whole rear end multiple hardcover book game system by people too scared to branch out from D&D 5e in its narrowest possible interpretation, for people that are too scared to branch out from D&D 5e, basically.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know, all these books are talked about and sold in the same spaces and are mostly interchangeable. Everyone on the internet will gladly tell you about/sell a pdf of their system for handling, whatever corner of the game that's underdeveloped in core 5e. Don't think that A5e is necessarily any easier to find or better known as anything else, or that its more virtuous in putting all those rules in a 600 page $60 glossy hardback full of other stuff you probably don't want.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Everything out of combat in A5e takes some multiple of 10 minutes, kinda throwing back to 10 minute dungeon turns from older editions. That's true in regular 5e also for a lot of stuff they just don't try to apply it to social encounters cause its weird as hell. Mechanically its "spend a turn to figure out what's going on in this room". Not sure why that needs to be systemized instead of the DM going "gently caress it roll insight" but that's their thinking, and kind of the thinking of A5e in general.

Dungeon turns own though tbh, best thing you can steal from BX/BECMI.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I played, a lot of solo Ironsworn: Starforged last year and that might as well be an AI DM. You have to use your own creativity to fill in the blanks but the oracles get you most of the way there to the point that a lot of the time it just seems kind of obvious what happens next. There's some decent 5e compatible solo systems too but it takes a bit more effort to make D&D work. Don't think it would be too much of a stretch that someone's gonna release a questionable AI DM that operates along the same lines in the near future, though. I mean there's already questionable AI apps where you can make Anne Frank talk to Heinrich Himmler, so the AI DM just seems inevitable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its literally just people saw the at-will/encounter/daily power breakdown and thought "cooldowns", morons have been saying that since day one. The discourse is so permanently poisoned that even my 10 year old nephew that I DM for started talking about how bad and video gamey 4e was, no idea what youtuber or whatever he picked that up from. Even though 5e has pretty much the same structure just with the labels filed off.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Based on their previous books, you probably won't be any better at them after reading this one either. I'm really looking forward to their Planescape book though. As a setting and cosmology that is, infinitely more complicated than Spelljammer and you saw how that one turned out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yusin posted:

For making monsters I saw some people using this to calculate CR and it seemed useful

https://iadndmn.neocities.org/CRcalc
That looks like it uses the bad DMG math still. I just have that blog of holding table written out to CR 20 in my notebook and use that to eyeball monsters, no calculation necessary except for divvying out the damage budget and I have a few of those precalculated per row also. Still sucks and CR is not a very useful metric but that's about the most useful tool in my notebook.

Also 5e tools can rescale monsters per CR and pretty sure that also uses the MM on a business card math.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doesn't really matter because no part of it works. The only reasons that you'd care about CR in the first place are XP and encounter building. 5e, at best, pays lip service to tracking XP but its broken without being generously throwing out bonus XP and at that point you're just doing more complicated milestone leveling. And no part of the encounter building rules actually functions for predicting how hard an encounter is going to be. Even the basic assumption that they claim CR is based on, that a monster with a given CR is an even match with 4 PCs of the same level, falls apart after like CR6 or 7. So from that logic at least the MM on a business card is more useful because it actually reflects the reality of the system and not what they pretend they made.

The deva, however, was good. But the end of result of that is just, replacing the entire MM with things that are similarly good, and probably also rewriting a fair amount of the DMG, and then you've just made your own game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its a dumbass premise imo because its absolutely the DM's fault not making both options award equal amounts of XP if they're meant to be equally interesting to the players. Just like you should get full encounter XP for encounters you sneak past or subvert somehow, you should also get that much XP for doing, a social encounter or whatever else that's, equally interesting. Is that just milestone XP? Only in so much as, the first people that did milestone XP just followed this logic all the way to the end, but you don't have to go that far if you want to bookkeep encounters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Maybe if it didn't scale based on the # of monsters and their CR and the EXP to the next levelup also scaled based on some equation. And Bob keeps forgetting his character sheet at home, he has an old copy on his phone but does anybody remember how much EXP he had?
I think you're confusing things with the DMG encounter building rules, which is easy to do because its bad and confusing, but the adjusted XP value of the encounter isn't the amount of XP you get. Its just for (poorly) judging the strength of groups vs solos. An orc gives you 100xp each no matter how many orcs you fight, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's most classes in 5e, the subclass is the main big choice you get to make. PHB Ranger, especially beastmaster, sucks rear end though, make sure you look at the class options they patch over it with in Tanya's Cauldron of Everything

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

change my name posted:

An androsphinx can move everything in its lair 10 years into the future or past (multiple times per day). This effect can only be undone by a wish spell. Therefore, can a wish spell be used to travel through time?
For as long as I can remember the example of a wish monkey paw effect was going "I wish this guy was dead" and, rather than the spell killing them, you being transported to some time in the future after they've died of natural causes. BECMI also talks about poo poo like wishing for more wishes causing a time loop. If anything for as "mother may I" as Wish is, time travel is one of the few things that Wish can explicitly do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Am I too optimistic thinking that would just be built into the current DDB subscription which only one person really needs to pay for?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think thats even a house rule, afaik as written you can't unattune from a cursed item until the curse is removed. e: Remove Curse is only a third level spell though so you probably would need to come up with some poo poo if you want curses to be something more than just a single adventure inconvenience

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 6, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

According to the MM on a business card math, somewhere in the CR 10-12 range. A lot tankier than most 10s but less dpr probably than than the 12+s I'm looking at for comparison.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do you expect the child statblock to get much use

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess it doesn't really matter since you're using Beyond and its all automated, but fwiw my tip for a NPC that's kinda inconsequential you don't really need to bother with a full statline. In practice the only thing that's going to matter for him are his saves, and you can reduce that down to just one number, or two if you want to give him one save that he's good at in particular, like +0 dex/-2 everything else. 2 HP, 3 HP, won't really make a difference if you're rolling an attack against him. Personally when I'm keying stuff I'll write inline in the key like "villagers (hp4 ac10 sv+0 atk +2/1d4)" or less, if I don't think I'll care what their ac is or their attacks or I can just assume they die in one hit or whatever.

If you're importing this stuff into Foundry or whatever ignore me though, easier to just have the full statblock in that case.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any decent space combat rules out for 5e? I know, there's plenty of better games for sci-fi stuff than 5e. But half my players don't want to learn a new game. Space combat isn't a focus of the campaign but it might still come up, so something for my players to engage with would be nice
The ship combat in Wildjammer isn't bad, if what you want is tactical space combat that has about as much weight as a regular 5e fight. Its a hack on the combat from Dark Matter if you're looking for something slightly harder scifi. If by "space combat" you mean SJ though, imo Wildjammer is too heavy for what significance the ship combat actually has in SJ campaigns, I kinda like Captains and Cannons on DMs Guild for that + some of the ship stuff from Saltmarsh.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

So I've never DM'd before but have been successfully talked into DMing Curse of Strahd for the next campaign in a couple months

Anything I should know?

I'm going to try and add a subplot of the villagers trying to harvest lumber fighting a guerilla war against elf druids into the mix. Thinking the elf druids could be in the big spooky forests and in desperation, make a pact with an Old God of Decay sleeping deep in the woods. Have them sacrifice the forest and fight the humans with spore zombies and stuff
Curse of Strahd requires a lot from the DM, and even by D&D module standards intensely boring just to run straight out of the book. Make sure you know the material front to back because there is a shitload of stuff in that book and you are not going to touch most of it, figure out what parts of it you actually want/are likely to use and make notes about how things are connected because loving everything in that book is connected to something else in some way, and drive those connections to hook players into stuff outside of the village and foreshadow (especially try to foreshadow, just about everything inside the castle). The most important thing though is, remembering that everything in that book is about Strahd, just about nothing happens that he doesn't know about and on some level implicitly allows to happen, including the players being there. Also you should, almost certainly rig the tarot reading to put things in the places you find most interesting.

The druid stuff, definitely look at the existing evil druid subplot in there and figure out how to rework that into what you want.

There's loving troves of stuff written about how to DM Strahd on the internet and you should read as much of it as possible even if they all contradict each other. Especially if they all contradict each other because, that will guide you to the parts of the book that need the most attention. For one, there's a whole rear end and fairly active reddit dedicated exclusively, to running Curse of Strahd.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Owlbear Rodeo people (which btw, Owlbear Rodeo 2.0 is out of beta soon and its, the best VTT around now. death to foundry) have a Discord audio bot that's pretty good
https://www.kenku.fm/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NotNut posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for virtual tabletop/mapping software? Or is there a thread for that?
Idk if there's a thread. Personally I like Dungeondraft and Dungeonscrawl for maps. Dungeondraft maps can look really nice but you're gonna have to go out and find assets for it to get the most out of it, Dungeonscrawl is just really fast to throw things together + has importers for the best two procgen dungeon generators if you need something immediately.

For VTTs most people are going to say Foundry but Owlbear 2.0 is, incredibly good imo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tias posted:

Making some characters now, and I don't seem to understand saving throws.

Like, you get some checkmarks in the ones you're proficient in, which means you get your lvl proficiency bonus when rolling it. But, in the case of other things like attacking, you get the modifiers both for your attributes and your proficiency.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you're working out your dexterity saving throw modifier, do you then apply both the proficiency modifier (if you are indeed proficient) and then also your dexterity ability score modifier?
Yeah, your base save modifiers are just the ability mods, and then you add proficiency if you're proficient in it, that's also true for all your skills. Feels like the stock 5e sheets make this seem way more intricate than it is, because you end up just writing the same numbers in about two dozen times, with a few occasional exceptions.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jeremy Crawford's opinion on it is, you and the horse are taking separate turns, either the horse rolls its own initiative if it's acting independently or shares your initiative count if it's under your control. You are, on one of the 4 squares of the horse and are able to move around them with your move action and normal range applies from whichever corner of the horse you're sitting on. This is, insane so personally I just do this:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Seems to me that your reach would logically extend from the boundaries of the 10ft square the same way it does from your usual 5ft square to represent the fact you’re on a mount which makes you more manoeuvrable so your character can get there, and on the flip side of it you’re vulnerable from all sides of your 10ft square because you’re a much bigger target on a mount.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's like saying, because there are swords that count as spell focuses, why don't wizards simply learn to use swords. While you were studying the blade, and shield, they were wizarding out. But, they can use swords and shields, you just need to class or feat yourself to get shield proficiency, to reflect your abnormal shield wizard training.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess focusing mostly on Sigil is probably the safest option for them putting out a Planescape book

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

Sigh, looks like Sigil is getting the Spelljammer treatment.
I agree its kinda lame for a Planescape book but (optimistically) I think that's the opposite of the Spelljammer treatment if the book is 50% larger and mostly talks about one thing. Unlike the SJ book which was 64 pages and talked about nothing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

It sounds like it's going to be better than what Spelljammer got, but not a whole lot better. That 96 page guidebook is going to have to also include material that was in the other two books from the old Planescape boxed set. Couple that with a lot more art and the layout differences Yusin notes, and we'll be lucky if we get much detail at all.
One of those books was the monster manual, that's a separate book in this set also. The player and DM guides in the original set are 128 pages combined and, a good third of that isn't remotely publishable in a 5e book. All the spell key and alterations stuff is a good 20 pages by itself and I doubt you're gonna see a hint of that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thank god honestly because, the art (along with, the writing and the typesetting) in the original books is, painfully 90s edge. That lady of pain would be right at home on a Johnny the Homicidal Maniac t-shirt.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

5e is so easy to teach on the fly I wouldn't worry about making anyone read anything. Just roll characters together in the first session, run down the stats and the skills as a group when you get to that step, and then when the game starts contrive some kind of reason to go around the table and make each person do some kind of skill check so they're comfortable rolling. Then you just do a bit more "what do you do" type prompting than you might normally until they realize what whatever they want to do is going to get interpreted by the DM somehow. By the end of the first session they're experts, works every time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A lot of people are talking about this encounter simulator lately. I feel like, its advice is even less based on any kind of reality than the DMG encounter building rules, personally https://battlesim-zeta.vercel.app/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean thats just how CR works. If, the CRs that they assigned to monsters made any kind of sense. It mostly works if you're using the MM on a business card math instead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Does anyone have any experience playing DnD with non-native speakers? I'm an expat and I have both expat and local friends and I'm thinking of running a game in English. All the players would have high levels of English and can communicate without trouble, but the problem is that fantasy terms can be tough for non-native speakers. I remember when I was young asking my mom, who isn't a native speaker but who majored in English what a "necromancer" was, and she had no clue. I'm wondering how to deal with it, or if I should even try. Of course I'm happy to explain and/or translate terms, but I'd love some input from anyone who has a similar experience.

I've fairly successfully played Vampire: the Masquerade with non-native speakers before, but it's set in modern times so there's a lot more to relate to.
I'd think about it this way, is it a given that everyone in the fantasy world knows what a necromancer is or what all the other fantasy terms mean? Any time I've played with someone whose first language isn't English, or anyone that's not incredibly versed in fantasy for that matter, just as a matter of course they're gonna ask questions about stuff that seems basic, the key is just to keep it in character instead of breaking out and reciting the dictionary entry. You can also throw in esoteric words for stuff to put the native speakers on equal ground, I like to do that anyway just to get people asking questions and not immediately going "oh I know exactly what this is, I need no further information".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Metamagic adept is pretty much what you want, so you can use metamagic as a wizard but not blow a bunch of levels on it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think your best bet would be playing sorcerer and taking ritual caster, you get a spellbook and can cast rituals which is super flavorful, but you'll still mostly be casting like a sorcerer. The problem with multiclassing is sorcerer casts with charisma and wizard casts with intelligence so you'll be dependent on two main stats and your two halves aren't gonna play together well, and you're gimping yourself a little bit on spell progression so you'll always be a bit weak for your level. Maining sorcerer and taking two levels in wizard to get a tradition probably isn't going to hurt you too much though and that's also very flavorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just about anything you'd want to do with multiclassing, unless it's some really dumb mechanical interaction that breaks the game, you're almost always better off doing with the cross class feats. This seems like it's gonna be especially true in 5.5 based on what they've shown