Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't wait to beg my GM to let my level 5 ranger use those UA changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the thing I have the largest problem with is reliance on secret doors to get to the plot critical portions of the map, in official modules.

It's just like, fiiiine you fuckers I will have this NPC will "Hey Listen" the secret door.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I got back into a D&D group after not playing for probably 10 years. Rolled a character (partially, there was some stuff I didn't get on the character sheet) and just started playing. I honestly don't know what's changed in 5th edition and only remember a bit from 3.5 and 4.0, but it all feels really natural. Figured out the "advantage/disadvantage" and inspiration systems as we played, didn't even need an explanation to see what was going on.

My only question is how does proficiency work? It's a bonus equal to a character's level, right? So do i add that to all d20 rolls?

As a sidenote, we're playing some 1st party campaign and kudos to our dm who somehow keeps things rolling, because the party has managed to kill or destroy basically all questgivers, plot-crucial npcs and items.

Profeciency bonus is tied to character level(not class level) but is not just your level.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's mostly just finding people you like listening to regardless of system.

I have like 5 streams and podcasts I listen to because I enjoy the cast and their interactions regardless of what's happening in the plot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm honestly more disappointed that from interviews it sounds like this isn't going to be going towards a 5.5.

It's just going to be another supplement. Which is dumb as gently caress.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also it varies. And is dependant on you. And what you want

I love the roll20 presents crew on Monday and Wed. Avernus and Jace Beleren Must Die,.

It's a game style and tone that's probably not for everyone. But they are fun to listen to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Glagha posted:

Hey, speaking of paladins: say you're me and you wanted to play one, specifically that Oath of the Common Man paladin but you're pretty sure your DM won't allow homebrew. What oath would you pick to fit in most with wanting to be a warrior for the people against oppressors anyway that isn't that one?

Any of them.

As all you said is all in the Role-playing. For dramatic Irony pick Oath of the Crown from SCAG, and make your "crown" the common man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Avernus spoilers

lmao one of my level 4 players drank an entire bottle of wine laced with Midnight tears during a short rest. A creature that ingests this poison suffers no effect until the stroke of midnight. If the poison has not been neutralized before then, the creature must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 31 (9d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arivia posted:

While we’re talking about collective forgetting, it’s worth pointing out to the newer people in the thread that 5e directly lead to past popular trad games regulars getting harassed to the point of quitting RPGs entirely and having to stop using the Internet at all, the forum repeatedly being blacklisted by the D&D staff for being too critical/RPG cultural marxists, and a lot of us being personally and professionally attacked over 5e. To Trad Games history and a lot of posters, 5e isn’t just a bad game. It’s a personal wound that cost us friends and that is still a blight on the industry in pretty much every respect. If you want some place that will happily politely talk about 5e, that’s fine. But it’s not here. It will never be here. There is way too much hurt here to ever let this slip by.

ok boomer

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'd like to apologize for my post above btw.

As I lacked an understanding of that post, which without said context seemed completely overwrought.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It seems like they are in the middle of publishing and updating the changes to be fair.

I bought the new Eberron book(own WGtE)and I don't have access to the Artificer right now.

I'm still getting the pre-ordered message.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 19, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

How’s the new artificer? I’m getting the book tonight, and I have to make a character to replace my gunslinger forge cleric after he took a crit bullet in the neck.

It seems stupidly powerful from reading it at low levels, but I haven't play tested it yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nash posted:

How many different races and subclasses does the Eberron book add?

Off the top

Changelings, NuOrcs/NuHalf Orcs, Kalashtar, Shifter, Warforged

Only Class is Artificer, with Alchemist, Artillerist, and Battlesmith.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The UA ranger is pretty good, but yeah, Artificer seems great

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Level 6 Artificer gets

quote:

HOMUNCULUS SERVANT
Tiny construct, neutral
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points equal the homunculus’s Constitution modifier + your Intelligence modifier + your level in this class
Speed 20 ft., fly 30 ft.

STR

4 (−3)

DEX

15 (+2)

CON

12 (+1)

INT

10 (+0)

WIS

10 (+0)

CHA

7 (−2)

Saving Throws Dex +4
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +4
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands the languages you speak
Evasion. If the homunculus is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails. It can’t use this trait if it’s incapacitated.
Might of the Master. The following numbers increase by 1 when your proficiency bonus increases by 1: the homunculus’s skill and saving throw bonuses (above) and the bonuses to hit and damage of its attack (below).
Actions (Requires Your Bonus Action)
Force Strike. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d4 + 2 force damage.
Reactions
Channel Magic. The homunculus delivers a spell you cast that has a range of touch. The homunculus must be within 120 feet of you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

My first campaign I DM'd in 5e had one of the UA Artificers. The UA one says "pick an animal" and he wound up picking a Hunter Shark. We gave it a land speed and said it had six insect-like legs. His name was Larry. As the campaign wore on he got some magitech upgrades (Harpoon launcher, bag of devouring for a stomach) and I let him use the player's proficiency bonus in place of the not-listed one for the hunter shark, and he got ASIs at the same time as the player. He proved to be an invaluable member of the team, and was decommissioned in the final battle. RIP Larry.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the Homunculus right there has (very vaguely) the spirit of that but in reality it would just be a shittier and more homebrew-necessary to make it as fun as Larry the Shark turned out to be.

Could probably do that to this

quote:

STEEL DEFENDER
Medium construct, neutral

You determine the creature’s appearance and whether it has two legs or four; your choice has no effect on its game statistics.

Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points equal the steel defender’s Constitution modifier + your Intelligence modifier + five times your level in this class
Speed 40 ft.

STR

14 (+2)

DEX

12 (+1)

CON

14 (+2)

INT

4 (−4)

WIS

10 (+0)

CHA

6 (−2)

Saving Throws Dex +3, Con +4
Skills Athletics +4, Perception +4
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14

Languages understands the languages you speak

Might of the Master. The following numbers increase by 1 when your proficiency bonus increases by 1: the defender’s skill and saving throw bonuses (above), the bonuses to hit and damage of its rend attack, and the number of hit points restored by its Repair action (below).

Vigilant. The defender can’t be surprised.

Actions (Requires Your Bonus Action)

Force-Empowered Rend. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target you can see. Hit: 1d8 + 2 force damage.

Repair (3/Day). The magical mechanisms inside the defender restore 2d8 + 2 hit points to itself or to one construct or object within 5 feet of it.

Reaction
Deflect Attack. The defender imposes disadvantage on the attack roll of one creature it can see that is within 5 feet of it, provided the attack roll is against a creature other than the defender.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 19, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So can the artificer actually make magic items on a scale the PCs could actually use?

I'll be honest, I dislike the magitek "guns" immensely and would prefer actual firearms.

quote:

Artificer Infusions

Artificers have invented numerous magical infusions, extraordinary processes that rapidly create magic items. To many, artificers seem like wonderworkers, accomplishing in hours what others need weeks to complete.

The description of each of the following infusions details the type of item that can receive it, along with whether the resulting magic item requires attunement.

Some infusions specify a minimum artificer level. You can’t learn such an infusion until you are at least that level.

Unless an infusion’s description says otherwise, you can’t learn an infusion more than once.

Using this infusion, you replicate a particular magic item. You can learn this infusion multiple times; each time you do so, choose a magic item that you can make with it, picking from the Replicable Items tables below. A table’s title tells you the level you must be in the class to choose an item from the table.

In the tables, an item’s entry tells you whether the item requires attunement. See the item’s description in the Dungeon Master’s Guide for more information about it, including the type of object required for its making.

If you have Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, you can choose from among the common magic items in that book when you pick a magic item you can replicate with this infusion.

Replicable Items (2nd-Level Artificer)

It's limited in numbers by levels, but yeah you can give these to other people.

Also there are firearms in I think the DMG, if your DM wants to allow them.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 20, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Crossbows and short/long bows have a clip size with a reload(x) or a burst fire(dc 15 dex save in a 10ft cube area rather than attack roll at the cost of more ammo) property?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh yeah sure the ranges are silly, but that's a relatively easy Homebrew. 300/1000 or something

And then I'd allow a scope or something modify it further.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robiben posted:

I'm a newish DM (5 sessions deep) and have been a player for a while. I'm running Mines of Phandelver with newbies and my Fighter Champion wants to switch up his character a bit.

He dug up this Archer thinking it was official. https://www.5esrd.com/classes/fighter/fighter-martial-archetypes/archer-3pp/

I'm thinking about just letting him have it, but I just wanted to get some thoughts on allowing outside classes like this. I try to be a very accommodation DM and this doesn't seem too crazy to me.

I was also wondering about UA stuff. Do most people run with UA changes as they come out? It seems like it improves a bunch of classes and I want to offer it to my players for our next campaign.
I'm not too worried about them being "OP" as I think it will be more fun for them.

Yeah Rob you should let them change.

They also won't be OP, as you can tailor encounters to them if it's been too easy switch things up. Add a couple of extra trash mobs to each encounter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rabble rabble Spears and tridents

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Undead isn't automatically evil.

Revenants are undead technically, but could be any alignment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

A tool helps you to do something you couldn't otherwise do, such as craft or repair an item, forge a document, or pick a lock. Your race, class, background, or feats give you proficiency with certain tools. Proficiency with a tool allows you to add your proficiency bonus to any ability check you make using that tool. Tool use is not tied to a single ability, since proficiency with a tool represents broader knowledge of its use. For example, the DM might ask you to make a Dexterity check to carve a fine detail with your woodcarver's tools, or a Strength check to make something out of particularly hard wood.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dungeons: Governs investigations, exploration, puzzle solving

Dragons: Action, combat ability to fight, interactions with creatures.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kung Food posted:

No, it only counts for using the attack action, specifically. The weapon you are using has to be 'magic,' such as a +1 weapon or a moonlight sword. Luckily artificers get a lvl 1 spell that makes their weapon magic for the spell's duration.

Give a heavy crossbow the repeater infusion and you can attack twice with it. Take a hand crossbow with repeater and you can attack twice while holding a shield.

That spell didn't make it out of UA, the infusions make the item magical though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My general opinion is that NPCs don't nessecarily need to have the same restrictions and rules that PCs have.

Look this skeleton is big boned and dense as plate, his AC is 20 or whatever.

Monster stat blocks are malleable to me

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 22, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think it's somewhat valuable sometimes to get the actual ruling the designer intended.

So yeah I'll consult the WoG when thinking about a ruling but if I don't like it I'll change it in my game without much of a hesitation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arivia posted:

I think it's worth noting that at a quick look both 3e and 4e at least define a basic idea of an adventurer somewhere in their core rulebooks, and it's only 5e that stumbles that badly. It's still not as well developed as it should be for various settings, but at least playing 3e you knew that you were a "hero who sets out on epic quests for fortune and glory." (As an aside, comparing a bunch of the DMGs shows how much of the 5e DMG was straight up grade-school plagiarized from previous books, like full on copies with the names replaced. Lazy fuckin Mearls, lol.)

quote:

Adventurers are extraordinary people, driven by a thirst for excitement into a life that others would never dare lead. They are heroes, compelled to explore the dark places of the world and take on the challenges that lesser women and men can’t stand against

That may have come off in an attacking manner and I don't mean it that way, that's just the description they give in the PHB.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 26, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arivia posted:

Idk you tell me why Mearls took paragraphs right out of Rob Heinsoo and Skip Williams’ work on the 3.5 and 4e DMG and so on.

They are credited, and it would be foolish to not reuse stuff that still applies and works for this version. Regardless of one's deservedly low opinion of Mearls.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The scant PVP I've seen in 5e has used normal combat rules

It is very much not designed all that well

The play if you have a player who is that annoying is one of a couple of things

Tell the GM, and have them stand up to the player. And tell them to shape up or leave.

Have the rest of the players tell them to cut it out if the GM won't.

Leave the game yourself if everyone else is down with this lovely person.

If your GM is allowing for this amount of flagrant dickishness in their games go all in and kill this annoying player in game and don't bring them back to life.

Force them to reroll a character or get so mad they leave.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's only one option. the second part is just what would follow the first part. Obviously :v:

And I guess I should have made it more clear it was in jest.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like if you go through telling the player they are acting a dick personally, telling them through the GM, and through the rest at the table. There is jack poo poo you can do. Outside of either have a passive agressive rear end in a top hat off which serves no one and makes everyone miserable or the correct way is to press the GM to make a decision(them or me and maybe a coalition others at the table)

There is literally no way this situation sounds tenable without someone putting up an ultimatum.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I appreciate all the advice from everyone. It is in line with what I was already thinking and I needed a sanity check.

There is, however, one piece of vital information I left out because I knew it would be what everybody focused on and I wouldn't get much of an answer besides "lol leave the group you're hosed":

Our DM is loving/dating this person. I was willing to give this dynamic a shot and for our first 8 or so sessions things have been just fine. The DM has gone out of his way to not play favorites and has been very fair and reasonable, otherwise, I would have bailed a while back. Yes, she hasn't been a team player, but it was in no way preventing the great fun me and the other two players have been having so none of us have cared enough to start drama. That changed last night.

So yeah, I will probably end up leaving the group. I'll see how it goes next week. I can be a spiteful rear end in a top hat though so who knows what will happen.

lol leave the group you're hosed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

kingcom posted:

Thats fine, you've used that definition as a way of couching behaviour of the group. Have you told the players what the world thinks of adventurer and the kinds of actions people expect of them? I wonder if it would have changed what their characters do if you told them something else before the game started.

I feel like a few people are missing exactly what I'm talking about here. I'm not saying the rule book needs to specifically lock down the exact details of what an adventurer, I'm saying that the discussion amongst a group about defining what an adventurer is in your setting is really important to building group expectations.

I'm at work atm, do you have a page number for that quote?

Don't have a page number but it's the start of the Classes section.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jokes aside, you have to bring it up, don't be a dick about it just put your cards on the table and say a piece hey look enjoy playing with you all but this thing that happened last session rubbed me the wrong way and blah blah blah blah

The reaction to that should tell you everything you need to know.

Try talking to the GM privately and see if he can relay this to her from him as an SO and not another person.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Remora posted:

Yeah that player is a shitbag, goondolences.

But, um, am I missing something? Characters have HP, attacks, and ACs. What else do you need to interact in the combat system?

yeah, like that's how PVP normally works. But it's unbalanced as all poo poo.

Like in a game I jokingly said "I cast Eldritch Blast at another PC", when we were having an in character disagreement.

The DM said alright roll it thinking it would be funny. I did. I crit, and killed them with massive damage. We obviously didn't go with it, and played it off as a mental image my character had. But yeah Player vs player combat is silly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hmm thinking about rolling a battlemaster in a DiA game I'm starting tonight.

I'm probably going to be the only non squishy melee class judging by preliminary discussions.

What's the viability of a Dex based battlemaster?

Or should I go strength if I don't particularly care about damage so much as control

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

change my name posted:

Sharpshooter longbow battle master has been fun for me so far

If there ends up being another melee besides the rogue(a Paladin hopefully as it's DiA), boy do I want to be able to use something like Commander strike to trigger reaction based sneak attacks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Look if this character doesn't write evil on their sheet they can't hold all these soul coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hola it's me the DM

Nutsngum posted:

Hell, jumping from lvl4 to 5 in one session (assuming experience points here as that many combats isnt going to allow for a lot of plot progression) is absurdly quick.

It was more than one session in my defense I think it was in the third or 4th after a long slog of dungeon crawling 3 bossish encounters and commiting almost complete regicide on a noble house with an underground full of Devil's and Cultists

Mendrian posted:

Yeah that sounds like the DM isn't splitting the xp among the party and is giving the full value to each player.

Milestone experience is what DiA uses and it's extremely quick in DiA

The only difference I did was level them up an encounter or two earlier(the trigger for the 4th level is literally step foot in the basement of the Villa) because 1 I added some custom story stuff with a rest in-between low lantern and vanthampur villa and because we were ending a session. So rather than pause and let them figure out what they wanted to do in the middle of the next session I let just let them level at the end while standing in the living room as literally the only thing keeping them from leveling is going down some stairs lol.

And then I leveled them up to five at the end of the basement because, I sensed it was a slog for the players and because literally the entirety of the time in the book before level 5 after under the Villa and candlekeep is plot with no combat(other than random encounters while traveling, I think I might do some more custom plot poo poo at level 5 for them before CC though)

DiA is essentially designed to speed run you through levels. Like seriously those who aren't playing it go look at the milestones lol