Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ugh. I knew I shouldn't click the link in Kennel's new av, but I did it anyway. Why do we do these things to ourselves?

I guess now is as good a time as any to say, hi, New Thread. I hate Luann, so naturally I post it every day and periodically I type too many words about it. The strip used to revolve around Luann, the most boring girl on Earth, but she eventually got too boring even for the strips writers (one of whom Luann was based on) and it mostly revolves around the side characters these days, though we still check in on Luann at times. One of the key qualities of Luann is the tendency for the characters that we, the readers, are supposed to hate to be the most relateable people in the strip. Of course, the reverse is true for the people we are supposed to like. For example:

The "Shannon" being discussed is a child whose terrible father constantly dumps her on other people as an alternative to raising her. He does this with such alarming frequency that her aunt and uncle-in-law have decided that adding a room onto their home to house her is a sensible option. We are supposed to dislike this near-orphan because she is noisy, opinionated, and energetic. Why couldn't her absentee father teach her any manners???

The blond woman bitching about the taste-level of a kindergartner is Toni, Shannon's aunt. We are supposed to like Toni because she is so, so, pretty, because she is such a martyr for taking such good care of the wretched Shannon (except when she's dumping the kid on Luann with no notice), and because she married a potato. Also, she's better than some little kid at knowing what is and isn't tacky! Take that, Shannon, you IDIOT!

I also sometimes post comments submitted by the community at GoComics because those people have some OPINIONS about Luann and hoooo boy. But not today.

Vargo posted:

I think I'd also like to introduce the thread to A Problem Like Jamal by Tauhid Bondia. I've been following it since it was added to GoComics back in August, but the backlog goes back a few months. It's a pretty funny strip about a suburban black kid and it addresses race relations and community issues in ways that, say, Baldo is too cowardly to. Here's the first strip I saw, which hooked me:

It's already way better than Macanudo. Keep going.

Zereth posted:

Notably, it's also from the current writer of Mark Trail. I think he does the art on Near But Not At Adventure, but somebody else does the art for Mark Trail

The current artist of Mark Trail appears to be Clip Art. But any time Esallen decides to try his hand at it, boy can you tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, if we're posting cursed Luann videos...

(Some of them might require you to go to YouTube and watch them there. I assure you it's not worth it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vfyZ_O7DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLb310xIqXA

Please note that both of these are canonically sung by Luann herself, as in the fictional character made the videos in her comic and then the comics told us where to find them online IRL.

This third one, though, this is something special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIdrPZztgQ

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 2, 2019

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Wait what? This is the first time I've heard this. Is this true?

It is.

(I'm typing this from memory, so people feel free to correct me if I get details wrong.) Aaron, the kiddo Michael is based on turned out to be gay. And he is very much not gay in the strip, as we know. But to add an extra hurtful layer to the story is that at one time Aaron, a photographer for his local paper, was asked to take pictures of a car crash. He went and did his job, not knowing that a young woman he had known from school was dying inside that car.

Lynn wrote that car crash into the strip, including Michael taking pictures of the wreckage. But she made the young woman survive. (It's possible that Michael saved the woman's life, but I could be wrong about that.) That young woman was Deanna, a character that Michael knew in school, and who would go on to marry Michael and bear him multiple children.

Aaron and Lynn are now estranged.

Haifisch posted:

Buster wasn't always that terrifying. Or was he?

I sympathize with the little dude. Novocaine wasn't quite invented yet at the time of this comic and though nitrous oxide was around, it clearly isn't being used here. (But also a great many dentists refused to use anesthetic on kids anyway until somewhat recently. Makes sense since reliable dental anesthesia is still a relatively new thing and it's generally frowned upon to just pump little kids faces full of things we aren't yet sure are safe. Ask your parents! The dental phobias we see in a lot of older people didn't just spring from nowhere!)

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Honestly, I agree and it's what kept me from posting it when I discovered it six months ago, but there's a storyline coming up that I think is worth getting into, if nothing else but as a good contrast to some other strips in this thread. So maybe I'll just get through that and see what the consensus is.

I like it so far. But even if I didn't, there are plenty of comics in this thread that are way worse and the assholes who post them don't appear to give a poo poo who gets hurt.

For example,

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Lady, you just yelled at the kids for turning the heat up too high like, five minutes ago.

1. It's only occurred to you now, AFTER you did all this construction, that you don't own this house and can't just do what you want willy-nilly?

2. Letting a child pick her favorite out of a few paint swatches will definitely kick off her moral degradation

3. Thank you, colorist, from the bottom of my heart, for picking a background wall color strikingly similar to one of those puce examples posted above.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Huh. I think we all expected the baby to have some dumb superpower, but it seems like we leaned toward anti-gravity rather than time travel... and teleportation?

Tiggum posted:

I think Brad's parents own the place? So it's not like a normal renting situation. I could be wrong though.

They do, but even then it's a case of, "Let's put a whole new room on this house! But we better be careful what we paint the room because the landlords won't want us making any weird changes!"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Bad people like Toni's brother and Ann Eiffel do.

Tiff doesn't because she's so popular that no one likes her and Les doesn't because nobody can live with Gunther and obtain an erection at the same time, but they both really really want to, maybe even with each other, and that's gross and bad.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Ha ha! It's funny because that child lives in constant fear of being kidnapped and eaten!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can't loving do that! She's in college, he's an adult! They are your ROOMMATES at this point!

I think she's in high school. But the point totally stands on Dustin.

You know, Lynn, you won't lose status in the family if you just say, "he's keeping my feet warm."

Hostile V posted:

Really loving weird to see an IL strip that has perspective changes and angles and...action and poo poo as opposed to two to three people from the waist up all B^U about their costume fetishes.

It's like there's this really clear timeline from "My comic is new and I need to make an effort to get into papers," to "I just looked at the comics page and obviously I don't have to make an effort after all," to "Aw, poo poo, I should have made an effort."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

And Toni was concerned about what they would think of the paint color. These idiots.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hence the technically: technically Ed could evict him and take his keys and so on. We know he won't, but yeah. This is part of why you have to be really careful with the boundaries and respect in this kind of relationship. Parents as landlords is tricky...and it could be an interesting and relevant dynamic to explore in this comic strip, given that more and more people are moving back in with their parents due to economics, but Dustin? Actually look at that thoughtfully? Hahahaha.

Maybe Dustin should try adding a room onto the house for that neighbor kid. It would show gumption and problem solving skills. Probably wouldn't need to run that past anybody until it came time to choose the paint colors.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nekonaughey's turning down food? :ohdear:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shut your mouth! Team Evans would NEVER go for the lazy option that's been done before!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

In the Funkyverse, you have to EARN the sweet release of death. You can only embrace oblivion after you've accumulated enough sadness and misery and pain and hopelessness.

Miles to go before you sleep, and all that.

Hell, even that's not a guarantee. Saint Lisa routinely has her corpse dug up and paraded around. And her ghost has to put in appearances all the time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, assholes, I paid to watch the ballet, not listen to you bitch about your lovely kid.

You absolute morons.

Alterian posted:

I hope they pulled permits for that construction.

Ding ding ding!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ha ha! The neighbors totally ratted them out!

TJ found it so easy to snow the bureaucrats when he burned down his food truck for the insurance money. This is a completely new experience for him!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life

Ha ha, women are the worst, right, fellow woman?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

The lovely independent comic company in Funky Winkerbean is going to color their comic with the old zip-a-tone patterns (although it looked like it was all on a tablet?) and their retro-style bullshit is going to be a big hit and make them famous comic writers and possibly land them a movie deal.

And they will undoubtedly find some reason that this is the worst thing ever to happen to them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Is that... I feel like that's not how the Spider Tracer works.

I'm glad they took two panels to explain the concept of a junk drawer. It's probably a really obscure thing most readers wouldn't be familiar with.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Is that a human child in Kevin and Kell? Is that allowed? Red stripey shirt, blonde hair, mischievous attitude, he's not supposed to be Calvin, is he?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You always hear about how "ooooh! SNL! It's live! Anything could happen!" But Carol Burnett was where to go if you want to see a sketch fall completely to poo poo and they just roll with it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Spiderman

That's a good first panel.

I guess Team Evans doesn't care how Brad and Toni's landlords feel about the surprise home remodel, because we're doing this now

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

All 3 of my cats do not like wet food at all past a day or two. They'll go bonkers for it at first if they haven't had it for a while but if they have to eat it a few days in a row they stop eating it and have to basically be forced to.

Yeah, I had to stop buying wet food for my little dude. I wanted to get him the good stuff because wet is supposed to be better for them and I want to be a good cat mom, but nah. He won't touch wet for more than a couple of days in a row, but he doesn't seem to get tired of dry food.

I can't imagine a friend coming to me to confide that she thinks her husband is cheating and reacting with, "Pff, come on, why would you think that?" I'd ask why she suspects, certainly, but coming in with the disbelieving attitude seems less than supportive.

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

oh god

:sever:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I get why Jamal isn't in any papers because holy hell the letters to the editor this thing would inspire. But it is a very good comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

The cop cars are driven by angry hawks.

Another one where I can see what Jam's trying to do, but his inability to pace properly (or acknowledge he realities of the format he's working with) ruins it. Okay, okay, he wants the big set piece in the first panel with the cops zooming in. I get it. But it wrecks his joke. He's relying on us to remember what the guy was yelling about yesterday when beating up the cop, but you can't count on the reader doing that. There's a reason that parodies of newspaper comics have the characters keep repeating themselves inanely. You HAVE to remind people who aren't paying attention or aren't reading every day what's going on.

So in this case Jam should have just gone with a three panel layout. First panel is the guy holding the cop by the shirt and growling, "I'm not going to jail!" Middle and largest panel is the cops pulling up. Third panel, "I'm going to jail!" Ba-dum-bum.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I shouldn't let myself get so mad at Luann but here I am!!

You and me both, buddy. :mad::respek::mad:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Then don't look at the thing, I guess, you unpleasant old crank.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It used to be an informal thread rule not to talk about reading ahead.

It was a good rule that I enjoyed.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Woah, Lu Ann, personal space.

Powered Descent posted:

This entire week has been nothing but her standing there smoking (vaping?) turning down this guy's study date offer, over and over, while reflecting that she's got the professor wrapped around her finger, over and over.

drat, even by Mary Worth standards this one's moving slowly.

For me, Mary Worth always shines when they're doing the victory lap, or when the villain is gloating baselessly about the radness of their evil plans.

I still say she should seve--

OH GOD DAMMIT

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What's higher? Chief or Boss? I'm not sure if he got promoted or demoted.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

This character had surgery to look like a rat, as a note. She doesn't have those ears or tail anymore. Or, well, didn't until just now, I guess.

But the rat pheromones she was taking wore off, so, um...

Look at that big grin on Bernice's face as she prepares to dine on a lovely plate of schadenfreude. She does this to Luann, too. She is not only not good therapist material, she is not friend material.

Tiffany, she is not your friend.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, I get it, you're trying to rules lawyer and say a comic that was published in The Toronto Star (the biggest newspaper in Canada) is a 'webcomic', and a comic that has only been published on the web isn't.

That gocomics is allowed in the thread doesn't change the fact that comics published exclusively online are webcomics.

I don't think people want to go ultra-purist and kick every comic that isn't exclusively newspaper out of the thread, but if they do I'll respect that decision.

If it was published in an actual real-deal newspaper, then it fits into our rules. Even if people don't like it.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

"if you poo poo up this thread we'll poo poo it up even more" isn't a very effective threat.

And yet, it seems to be our go-to.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

She's that one-eyed cat turned human!

Her evil plan is so transparently idiotic that I can't imagine anybody falling for it, not even Ian. But if he just says, "huh" and gives her an F, that's the end of the plot, and that's pretty thin, even for Mary Worth. So where do we go from here?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Benly posted:

I dunno. I feel like it's not incredibly awful, just pretty mediocre, but it feels worse than it is because we have higher expectations of a zombie strip being taken over by a younger writer now that Olivia Jaimes has set the bar so high.

When really we should be thinking about how Jam Esallen set the bar so low

StrixNebulosa posted:

What did Mary Lou do in order to have Gene's parents turn rabidly overprotective??

Got pregnant. And you know how THOSE girls are. They're worried that she's going to try to do sex things with their beautiful boy (best case scenario) or (worst case scenario) try to con him into raising the baby.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think this arc is interesting - and throwing some readers - because we're used to seeing A & J as cool, progressive people (which they are!) but here they're being parents, and specifically parents of a teenage boy, with all that implies. It seems Gene broke a couple of rules: he wasn't supposed to have been gone as long as he was, and he definitely wasn't supposed to be alone with a teenage girl. Gene tried to play it cool in front of Mary Lou ("I sort of come and go as I please") but, yeah, nope.

I think it's clear that they're not mad at Mary Lou; they're worried about her. And I think they're also worried about their kid falling for a pregnant girl who lives in another city and making her problems his own on a longer-term and more serious basis than one would as "just a friend," probably because they're both romantics and could see that happening to themselves at that age.

I mean, from where we're sitting now, we can see the irony, but that future is a long way from the summer of '97.

I do like that it's showing that even normally cool progressive loving parents are still not necessarily perfect (and I think from the writing it's clear that we're supposed to be more on Gene and Mary Lou's side). If they let the kids hang out with fewer restrictions, probably nothing would happen. But they're parents and they love their son and it is the nature of parents who love their kids to sometimes be a little overprotective. I usually just kind of read or pass over Arlo and Janis based on if it catches my attention on a given day, but this storyline has been great.

Vargo posted:

And now... Jamal

:aaaaa:

The Bloop posted:

Please no more I read ahead :smug: posts

Super agree with this

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Kill them all.

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Kill them all.

You're a piece of poo poo, Bernice. Go drink bleach.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Quick reminder that Bernice has been mistreated by Ann Eiffel herself, and knows exactly what kind of a person she is. Keep that in mind as you read this tale of Bernice going to bat for Ann Eiffel when another of her victims comes to her for support.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

First, Toby was right, now, this stupid plan is working. This is really getting to me.

I gave this doofus almost no credit and turns out it was still waaaaay too much.

As much as I've enjoyed Heloise's adventures lately, she is just aggressively refusing to get why this might be kind of a big deal for her friend.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Basically! I can appreciate Heloise's intentions while also being like 'girl back off and give her some breathing and/or hurling room.'

This is about where I am. I'm sure Heloise means well, but her friend just lost EVERYTHING and Heloise is responsible for that, even if she was defending herself and even if she was justified. Kadia is probably having some complicated feelings right now. She needs, like, a minute to process some things. A good minute.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What about Dustin and Dustin's Dad?

I'm sure you already got some horrible Luann people in there. If you didn't, I don't even know what you're doing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

I've previously glossed over Luann but for some reason have been reading the past few weeks. The following is probably old news to most of you but I was suprised to find that Tiffany is actually a likeable character. A bit clueless but seems to mean well and isn't a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Considering how I've hated every other character in the strips I've read am i right in thinking that the writer wanted me to hate Tiffany and failed miserably? That's the only reason I can think of for the strip producing a character I like.

We are definitely supposed to think of the abuse and humiliation Tiff is currently suffering at the hands of Ann Eiffel as deserved. We're supposed to hate Eiffel more, since she's evil enough to do actual crimes and she also attacks the "good" characters, but in the meantime, we are supposed to be like, "gently caress yeah! That bitch Tiffany is learning a lesson now!" You can tell because Bernice, a "good" and "sensible" character, thinks it's pretty rad what Ann is doing to this person she claims is her friend.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I liked it when Tiffany got fat (which was really like barely "fat" by probably most (American) people's standards) and so Luann and Bernice went to have an intervention for her and brought loving informational pamphlets, but the wacky roommate Dez also came along and brought tea and listened to her and was the only one that treated Tiffany like a normal human being.

If the Evanses deserved credit as good writers, I would think Dez was created to intentionally show how clueless all the others are.

And yet, she's not. She's the weird hippie earth mother! Ha ha, that wacky new age lady, being nice to people who are hurting and treating them with dignity, what a naive and unrealistic take on life! Go hug a tree, hippie!

Ha ha! Yeah! Take that, Tiffany, YOU FAT BITCH!!

Hell yeah! Sweet!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SOME GIZMO!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Red and Rover

Pizza bones? :confused:

Ghostlight posted:

dogs don't understand what pizza is

Wowzers, you can really see how the art has degraded over the years since we snagged that frame.