Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Already posted in the old thread, posting again here with synposes:

The Amazing Spider-man is batshit insane in all the best ways. Exhibit A: Spiderman once defeated a werewolf by projecting the sun inside a planetarium at night, which confused the lycanthropy enough that it just killed the dude instead. Exhibit B: He's had his powers centrifuged out of him by Magneto(and centrifuged back in by reversing the energy flow).

I post both old strips(started in 1999, now up to 2011, posted a week at a time so we get through them at a reasonable pace) and current strips. Current story arc is Killgrave using his mind control powers for vague evil purposes; he's currently spending several days gloating about how Spiderman is a better mind control target than Luke Cage. 2011 story arc involves Spidey being framed for a robbery by the Big Boss, Serra Carson both stealing Peter's job and publically believing that Spidey is innocent, and MJ getting jealous over it. There's a dedicated NSM thread here, although it's likely to be remade for the new year.

2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Jump

Dick Tracy is a long-running crime serial strip. It's currently starting a Minit Mystery, a week long arc where the mystery in question makes even less sense than usual.

Origins of the Sunday Comics is a variety of old Sunday comics of wildly varying quality and readability. My favorites are the ones predicting the future based on new-fangled technology like telegraphs and the automobile, which tend to be surprisingly accurate even when the artists thought they were making up wild jokes.

The Spirit of the Staircase only updates once every other week. It's about a bunch of weirdos doing mundane things, more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Spirit of the Staircase

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Wait, do thermostats actually work that way? I always jack mine up as high as possible and just turn it off when I've decided its warm enough, and even in freezing winter my heating bills are really low.
Your HVAC doesn't put out more heat(or cold) based on the temperature you set; it's the cutoff point for your thermostat to turn the heat/AC off.

Your heating bills are probably low because you're not turning the heat back on as soon as the thermostat would.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

2019 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I guess it's time to post this in the new thread.

Lynn posted:

Johnston: Yes, and when I had Aaron, he left me, and I didn’t know how to raise a child. And I wasn’t close to my parents, and because I was too proud to go to my parents for help, I mistreated that little baby. I didn’t want a baby. I wanted the stability that a family was supposed to represent. And a baby can’t say, “Thanks, Mom, for feeding me and keeping me warm and dry even though I screamed my lungs out all night last night.” And they want and they want and they want and they want. The only satisfaction you have is that they’re fed and they’re warm and they’re safe and they’re thriving, and they smile at you every once in a while. They’re not going to thank you until they’re 45 [laughter].

I remember once when he was very unhappy and he was screaming and screaming, and I threw him out into a snow bank in his pajamas. This was in Ontario, and it was not warm here. And he put his hands against the window of the front door, pleading to be let in. And I was inside, screaming at him, “If you don’t want to sleep all night, you can friggin’ sleep outside!” And this was a teeny baby. And I don’t know what it was—it was almost like at that moment, my guardian angel put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Open the door.”

The next morning, I called a very good friend of mine who was working at the hospital. I had also been doing some work for this hospital on a freelance basis. And I said to my friend, “I need some help. I don’t known how to parent.” Now, you say to yourself, “I’m a mature adult—I should know how to parent.” But raising a child is not like training a dog. [laughter] I was not a sensible mother. I just didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I didn’t know about time out. I didn’t know to say, “OK, we’re both out of control, let’s have time out for five minutes and calm down.”

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And re-wrote her own son's life in-strip to fulfill her own fantasies of him 1) being straight and 2) marrying his (invented) high school sweet-heart.
IIRC, wasn't the girl comic strip-him married one that real-him watched die in a car accident?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Buster wasn't always that terrifying. Or was he?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Scarodactyl posted:

It is a bit heartbreaking to think that even before Williams Syndrome had a name you could be mocked for having it.
The hazards of posting old-timey comics. :(

On that note, I'm surprised there aren't more terrible racist things in these, but maybe whoever's curating these for Gocomics is avoiding that as much as possible.

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.
But the six year old's choices might not be 100% tasteful, and what would the guests think? :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

HOLY HANNAH

Dick Tracy

Killing off Sparkle in a Minit Mystery is a bold move, I'll give them that. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

I like it so far. But even if I didn't, there are plenty of comics in this thread that are way worse and the assholes who post them don't appear to give a poo poo who gets hurt.

For example,

It's a kid's room! It's not going to be low-key by default! Your precious low-key wall colors are going to be offset by cartoon bedding and toys everywhere and :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I've never heard of this rule before. What's the rationale behind it? My bedroom doesn't have a window.
It's a second way out in case of a fire. A door heading outside would work too, but most homes aren't built that way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

Spider-man...

Dick Tracy

Kammat posted:

Didn't he beat the poo poo out of a guy over whipping an old horse once?
That he did.

TheMadMilkman posted:

The real kicker for me is that repainting a small bedroom takes, what, half a day? And hard and soft furnishings are all replaceable.

What I'm saying is let the kid have some fun.
That and the kid having order in her life doesn't mean she never gets to make a single decision for herself. I'm pretty sure switching between a chaotic home life and relatives who act like that would be worse than having a few adults in her life who act like reasonable, normal people who understand that children aren't miniature adults.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I found that I had to read it for a while(after it really caught my attention with The Case of the Fire Inside) for it to click for me, but once that happened it made a lot more sense.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spider-Man(r)

Dick Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm already getting used to the faces in jamal, tbh
They never bugged me in the first place. There's worse art in a lot of other strips in this thread, tbh. (Granted, it's usually 'soulless and bland' bad and not 'the art is good but all the faces are a bit weird' bad)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

And because I decided I needed to post even more charmingly dumb comics, I'm going to start posting Locher era Tracy along with the modern ones. We're jumping in on April 08, 2001.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

*I mean technically he can, but that seems like gross misuse of power to me.
Can he really, though? How's he going to stop an adult from leaving the house?

Even without a relationship of mutual respect, being a douchey hardass doesn't work if your adult son knows your attempts at grounding him have no teeth.

(Normally the teeth would be the threat of evicting him, but if Ed was going to do that he'd have done it a long time ago, considering how much he hates Dustin.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That cat is that rabbit's only friend in the entire world.

I have no idea how a rich rabbit and a working class cat became friends, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Tiny Arms Tracy skipped a week of weekday strips in the archive, and there's two more missing after this, but everything after that is there. Not that we're missing much considering Locher era pacing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

:siren:GOON DERAIL INCOMING:siren:
Nuclear take:

Put whatever ingredients you like into your chili. It's a stew, the whole point is being able to vary the ingredients based on what you have on hand.

Unless you're this guy, then bash your head into the wall because you're a fuckwit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spider-Man

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Leave Pieman Alone

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:bisonyes:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

plainswalker75 posted:

How'd the inspector even know about the remodel in the first place? Did someone narc them out?
Imagine living next door to these guys. Who wouldn't snitch on them?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

tracy.jpg

Tiny Arms Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It probably says something that people are so unused to subtly that a comic strip that doesn't go "WOW, SHE'S PREGNANT. LET'S MAKE EVERY CHARACTER REPEATEDLY COMMENT THAT SHE'S PREGNANT SO YOU DON'T MISS IT." confuses people slightly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

:allears:

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spider Hyphen Man

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

e: Also on the Jamal :bandwagon:, although the art never really bugged me at all.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 12, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Crimestoppers textbook: Don't talk to the police without a lawyer present. ACAB.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think the point of this one was them showing off that they totally know Donnie Pitchford, who they just spent an entire story arc doing in-joke stuff about.

The Gocomics commenters are complaining about it too, which is a sign is actually is that bad. Aside from the one weirdo who keeps popping up to make bad Dick Tracy poems.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

Another thing I don't get: This Rose is Rose.
It's old enough that I assume it's before an editor made the cartoonist reign in his feeder fetish.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
For as obsessed as Holbrook is with DNA and "biology" and his world full of animal people and emphasizing what species everything is, he really doesn't know/care how animals actually work.

See also: His strict predator/prey dihectomy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

The joke is dementia!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Batiuk would give everyone cancer, starting with the white boy with the pet snake.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

What kills me about this gag is how accurate it is - and how dang much my dog loves that exact combination. Hose water? GIVE IT TO HIM. Dry kibble? He will roll over for DAYS if you give him a piece. Cats? wtf, where is my wet food
I always found these gags weird because I've never had a cat that was a picky eater. Dry food? Expensive wet food? Cheap wet food? Beef-based wet food? Chicken? Turkey? They don't care, they'll eat it.

2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

A Chin To Die For

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

Oh sure, now you only post the one strip.

:ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

(OK OK, fine. Edit stolen from Johnny Walker.)

Dick Tracy

J. Straightedge Trustworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

"Race suicide" :crossarms: