Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tiggum posted:

The geneticist/wizard just discovered that her time-travelling friend is actually her daughter from the future.
Which is presumably why Holbrook took the time to make sure baby Maria didn't look black at all!

(yes, that can happen, and my annoyance isn't a value judgement on real people, it's just a kinda racist character decision imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The base joke is funny, but the execution is, uuuuh...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If they have advanced technology why don't the predators in Kevin and Kell just clone cuts of meat, no murder involved? I mean, if Holbrook is trying to present the murder as not the motive for most of them. If everyone is sapient prey species have the awareness to control their own populations with, like... birth control, anyway. There's nothing natural about the set-up so might as well go full sci-fi.

EDIT: Like if Dewclaw Meats or w/e was selling cloned meat then I could buy them as an ethical business. As it is, no, not even if people have to eat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If Maria stayed around in hopes of unmaking the universe due to the time-space paradox then she'd be my favorite character. But since she did it because she already knew she did and nothing bad happened then she's still as bad as everyone else.

quote:

MARIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's cruel to do live feeding when you don't have to. Can't it injure the snake, too, if things go wrong? Snap the neck first jfc.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

SuperKlaus posted:

New Nancy in four words: raised palm, technology reference. (This is in no way, shape, or form a statement of support for Gilchrist.)
There wasn't even a technology reference in the strip you quoted, though. Like... okay, the setting was the Robotics Club, but that's not a technology reference the same way a joke about Nancy using apps on her smartphone is.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cicadalek posted:

Didn't Holbrook have a previous storyline about a carnivore who became a sheep or whatever and treated it as a clumsy analogue to transgender issues? That makes this most recent comic uh, really loving gross.

I don't think it's intentional or anything, just another example of the general obliviousness of the author to the nightmarish hellworld he bases his lighthearted comedy in.
Well, you see, that guy was likable and thus one of the good ones, whereas Angelique is a vicious scheming jerk, so it's okay to belittle her for being... trans-species, I guess.

I mean, the more obvious answer is the dude eats plants now and isn't hurting anyone whereas Angelique is helping run a hellworld murder-for-food company, but Holbrook excuses his protagonist for doing the same because she's an 'ethical' hunter, so now he has to do something to make Angelique seem even worse, which is having her target her own (birth) species in a ham-handed attempt to get revenge on her ex-husband who she can't hunt anyway because she knows him. Her transitioning to presenting as a rat was probably like, idk, supposed to show what a bitch she was for stepping out of the natural order and probably something about hiding her hypocricy for being married(?) to RL while hating that Kevin married a wolf.

Like, Holbrook genuinely tries to get deeper or w/e a few times but it just makes everything weirder bc he takes no consideration into how that changes the implications of everything else.

Also, I've got a degree in general biology and not zoology or anything, but it genuinely frustrates me how bad he is at animals. He's forced himself into herbivore = prey and carnivore = predator dichotomy that doesn't actually exist, and then when he deals with omnivores he just kinda shoves them into one category or another. Even ignoring the fact that herbivores themselves range from, like, tiny plant-eating bugs to elephants, p much every animal is both predator and prey. But that doesn't fit his setting so it's ignored, until it isn't and suddenly we're reminded that even the tiniest insects in this world are fully sapient, as is at least one tree. So mice are prey and rats are predators I guess??? But like, mice are only seen as not a big deal in terms of predation by humans because they're small... rats can get bigger and will do pack behavior so they can theoretically overwhelm a human, but mice aren't suddenly not predators just because sometimes they're also prey...

Look. The two trophic levels in biology aren't carnivore/herbivore or predator/prey, that's stupid. It's autotroph (produces complex organic compounds from simple environmental resources) and heterotroph (cannot produce complex organic compounds it needs on its own, so eats other things to get it), and even those categories have blur. Like, carnivorous plants are mixotrophs because they're both. They photosynthesize and produce stuff that way, but they grow in nutrient-poor environments so there's certain things they can't produce themselves, so they supplement themselves by eating bugs. And this! Obviously has nothing to do with anything Holbrook is writing, I just wanted to say it, because Holbrook makes me mad.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

skipThings posted:

Seeing the new Andy Capp right to the old one makes me uncomfortable in a way, no one I guess has mentioned yet.
The new one makes Andy, the graphical drawing, look almost cute and whimsical, while the old Andy looks like a hoodlum, no one you'd want to sympathise with by just looking at them

Am I the only one?
No, I get it. Old Andy is someone you're supposed to laugh at. New Andy looks more like someone you're supposed to laugh with, while still being an abusive jerk?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of herbivores will eat meat if they find some, too, they just don't hunt animals for food. But if they find a corpse unattended they might eat it, unless they're something like a koala which will only eat one very specific type of plant.
Yup, you're right! From what I know, the general scientific understanding is it's a way to get certain proteins they might have trouble getting otherwise but don't need regularly. There's lots of pictures of deer getting caught going to town on dead birds or rabbits, and ngl, even knowing it's a thing it'd probably be pretty unsettling to just stumble on.

I think there's some evidence that sometimes deer might actually actively kill a small animal to eat, too? Like, they're not just scavenging, it's deliberately kicking a rabbit and then eating the body. It's not a good idea for non-scavengers to scavenge because scavengers can handle more advanced stages of decay in their food.

EDIT: When I was trying to see if I could find actual scientific papers on this on Google Scholar so I'm not just referencing my memory or w/e, I found a paper called 'Vegan sexuality: Challenging heteronormative masculinity through meat-free sex', and y'know what, I think I'm done now.

EDIT 2: A couple entries below it is 'The least harm principle may require that humans consume a diet containing large herbivores, not a vegan diet', which is a funny contrast.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 11, 2019

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has Holbrook ever brought in any hippo characters? Those are the most vicious "prey" animals I can think of.

Regarding Andy Capp, yep he's been turned cute, because he's an adorable ragamuffin who constantly spends all of his money on booze and gambling. I... I don't recall seeing any abuse "jokes" in new Andy? I'd have to go check, but I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly got rid of those.
Naw, more abusive in his still unpleasant personality, they dropped the domestic abuse 'jokes' and it's a good riddance.

I think it's just more jarring when it's posted next to the old Andy Capp stuff, which gets a lot less cute. Because of all the domestic abuse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I'm enjoying A Problem Like Jamal. Looking forward to this storyline that's so good!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

what the gently caress is with the panel layouts in boss dharma
It was originally two two-page spreads or something, I thought.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

What's his Stand?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Plus, the reason the cop gave for shooting him was that he was going for his gun - he was handcuffed, and his hands were behind his back, and his back was faced away from the officer and his gun. Cop's 'fear' was a physical impossibility. And like other people said, the only reason he tackled the cop was because the cop was getting ready to aim a live weapon at his (unarmed, hands in clear view) mother because she hurt his delicate cop feelings. Tackling the cop doesn't de-escalate the situation, but the situation never should have escalated in the first place.

Now, I have no doubt that bigots actually do get hyped up on fear from totally benign and normal interactions with people slightly different from them, and the way 'cop culture' closes ranks and breeds a toxic and vicious 'us vs them' mentality doesn't help, but the fact is we shouldn't, as a society, be handing people weapons, whipping them into a frenzy, and telling them it's okay to use their weapons in a fatal manner if they're just scared enough rather than actually training them to evaluate a loving situation. Get bent.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

As much as I've enjoyed Heloise's adventures lately, she is just aggressively refusing to get why this might be kind of a big deal for her friend.
It's not (just?) that she doesn't get it, it's that she thinks distracting Kadia will help, and she's trying to express that no matter who Kadia's dad was or what he did, she supports and loves Kadia and will try to make things good for her.

The sentiment is nice but honestly I'm not surprised Kadia is zoned out at this point, she's gotten a lot of info to process and 'hey! new school! new friends!' isn't helping.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

My roommate kicked my dad's rear end! She's a niece to a president? what happened to the plane?
Basically! I can appreciate Heloise's intentions while also being like 'girl back off and give her some breathing and/or hurling room.'

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

This is hilarious but it is also obviously leading up to a false rape accusation storyline and I am not looking forward to that.
I think it's leading up to a 'Ian thinks Toby thinks what Jannie is saying here because she was disbelieving that one of his students could find him inspiring and is also half his age and not talking to him' storyline, which would be extremely funnier than a false rape accusation storyline.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Also the phrase "women deserve to be protected" sets off serious "sets women on a pedestal and has no idea why that's unhealthy" vibes. It's what comes out of the mouths of people who think it's good to be blindly chivalrous, not ones who actually pay attention to what women want and need.
Yeah, see how he was treating Tiffany on their date, where he instantly launched into micromanaging what she enjoys and who she chooses to be friends with just because he disapproves of Les. They're not even dating and he thinks he gets to dictate Tiffany's life but also that 'caring' enough to do so makes him the considerate one.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tunicate posted:

The Princess Planet

April 11th, 2006

April 12th, 2006

April 13th, 2006

Viivi and Wagner reboot looking good.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't care what anyone says, these two are good comics.
I unironically like The Princess Planet. Yes, it's cheesy, and if you don't like stupid puns you'll hate it, but I enjoy it!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I can't believe MJ is about to smother Kilgrave and swear Spiderman and Luke Cage to silence.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

goatface posted:

He might be providing the stark, fatalist view of what is necessary to survive a society containing people like the cop in the previous arc. The world is dangerous and merciless, you must harden your soul to it.

Or he might just be a bit of a homophobe who wants his kid to be a manly alpha man who fucks. Hard to tell.
The thing is he seemed fine with the idea that Jamal might be gay. He just doesn't want Jamal to be feminine. It's the weird juxtaposition that makes it feel realistic.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

take the moon posted:

hes realistically a jerk
Yeah exactly. It's dumb but so's a lot of stuff plenty of people actually believe.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

Wait, did Wolfram guy raise his Sheepwolf wife? What? Jesus Christ, Holbrook.
No she just hid as a sheep pelt on his head for a few years.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jamal's character writing keeps being completely on point, yeah. What I really like is that even when a character, in this case Jamal's dad, is clearly and obviously in the wrong and is unambiguously portrayed as such you can still see where he's coming from and the reasons behind why he acts the way he does. Shows that the author actually cares and puts in the effort.
It also seems to me to fit the thing I've noticed in real life where people who grew up in abusive environments are trying their best to not replicate the abuse they endured, even if it's normalized for them, but without outside help it doesn't always work out... quite as intended? Like, the impression you get is Jamal's dad grew up with a physically and probably emotionally abusive dad, but he never wants to hit Jamal, but he still has trouble admitting he's wrong when he did gently caress up. The additional context shows you how he's trying to do better than his own father, and is succeeding because Jamal is secure enough to call him out, but at the same time it doesn't excuse his gently caress up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yup, Martha is absolutely having a manic episode. Great job, Tommie!*

* Not that Tommie could prevent the manic episode, but she should really be a bit more worried and not going 'awww, of course I'll take this dress! :)' I suppose if Martha is just diagnosed with depression and not bipolar Tommie might not be looking out for a manic episode, but I'd assumed she had enough psychiatric training to make her a good candidate to be a home nurse for someone who's specifically mentally ill.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not sure when these strips are from, and obviously whatever year it was, bipolar was a thing loooooooooooooooooong before that. But I wonder how good they were at identifying, diagnosing, and managing it back then, or if it was just one of those, "Martha gets a little wild sometimes!" kind of things.
Yeah, it's hard to tell if this is just soap opera comic writing, or if Tommie's actually got a reasonable level of knowledge for an RN in this time period about bipolar. It's identifiable enough I'm sure the writer researched it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Alterian posted:

I love how this comic has such a dark, depressing undertone of the ennui of being a white, middle class, suburban housewife.
They're not white, but yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's so sad how racist Japan is towards bears.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Sixth panel is my embellishment. In the original Boss Dharma just says you don't want the reputation Boss Lee has. Are these changes annoying anyone? Should I try to be more literal?
No, I loved it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tiggum posted:

That's not the only thing she's taking remarkably well. You'd think any human who ended up on this world would be overcome by the horror of a society in which the upper classes literally kill and eat the lower classes. But not her, she's totally on board. She's not fazed by people trying to murder her in the street, and she's 100% ready to start killing and eating people herself.
Well, she did work for the IRS.

edit: f;b

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

catlord posted:

Everything goes back to DNA with you, doesn't it, Holbrook?
Oh god the timelines are pregnant with a third timeline.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

dismas posted:

This nice guy angle in Foob hasn’t aged well
It'd be okay if it was explicitly presented as 'this is a dumb middle school view of relationships' but considering later things with how the comic wrapped up it's really not.

Like obviously mutual respect is important in a relationship but Lynn totally buys into the idea of earning affection with 'niceness tokens'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Holbrook made it explicitly clear that Mars lacks a reproductive system, so of course the geneticist is going to 'fix' that and Mars is going to give birth a beautiful bouncing third moon, Harmonia, named to keep in theme with Phobos and Deimos.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

What animal is Mars in the Kevin & Kell universe?
Giant tardigrade

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tricking the fae with false riches definitely never ends in getting your eyes plucked out and your children stolen, good work, Mandrake.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

That's why you use Steam and return if you've played less than 3 hours.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I haven't played base d&d very much but my impression was they're trying to do a lot better with that sort of stuff. Still a huge problem with fantasy stuff assuming white as default.

I hope we get to see everyone's characters.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I know Shauna and Lottie are extremely popular and great characters that I also love, but Mildred is and will always be my favorite Mystery Teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Let your dad be a dragonborn, Jamal. Hell, I'd say let your dad start at level 6 and use your old characters so he's not frustrated by level 1 stuff, if I didn't know manually levelling beforehand was going to take more time and be potentially frustrating.