Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looks like we're all strapped in together to ride this bitch of a rollercoaster called 2019. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Nah but a credit card has some value of worth, negative or positive.

I use my moviepass card as a multitool for opening phones/scraping poo poo, whatever needs to be done with a tool I don't care about since it's belly up with my subscription anyway. I don't live in a climate with any ice, but I suspect it'd be the perfect tool for that too.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

sigtrap posted:

I resolve to move somewhere cheaper this year because It's now been 2 years since I've driven a car. Here's a list of everything cool about this:

1. kill me

Did you move to SF or something?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Congrats on moving up and on! :)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slidebite posted:

RE: US Government shut-down news, anyone know if the land borders are being effected yet?

In what sense?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

For everyone's future reference, if you take your dog to the vet and they say it has sarcoptic mange, it has Scabies. And so does your whole family, now.

Sounds fun... I had a dog that had demodectic mange, but that was easily controllable, she just smelled like a bag of death for the first month and a half because of 3 vet misdiagnosis and finally a proper one from a vet that was a bigger bag of assholes than what my dog smelled like. She wanted me to take her to a dermatologist and have all sorts of tests done and such, when I inquired about how much it would cost she said about 30k-40k over the lifetime of the animal when I asked her what her quality of life would be, she said terrible. So I said, okay, then I'll elect to have her put down since this is just going to be a poo poo show for her and would be the more humane thing to do. The vet then screamed in my face and berated me for 1 minute about how terrible a pet owner I was and how dare I think about putting my dog down, when I was walking out to take her to another vet to have her put down, because of the previous conversation she said quickly "Ivomec. Giver her Ivomec and that should take care of her." I found it at a local feed store for $25 and the bottle lasted the lifetime of the dog. Shittiest vet I've ever used in my life, fortunately, she's out of business, I can only guess why...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's absurd even having a companion animal is getting unaffordable.

So true.

The only major issue we've had so far is many years ago when my wife and I had ferrets, one of them had parvo. That was a nice $1,500 vet bill.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in more information, I don't want to be a shill for her employer on here.

I would think that since we're having the chat, it wouldn't be so much shilling as it would be purchasing services from a goons wife that we may be purchasing elsewhere currently. I'm okay with it, but not sure about anybody else, rather help someone out than give some random stranger the business face to face.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah do they count as exotic animals where you are too? I had two of them. Both needed treatment. RIP my bank account.

Yes they do. :homebrew:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Also, gently caress insurance companies and their "pre-existing conditions." It's even a nonsense phrase.

Pulling from the business side of my brain, I get it because said insurance company would then be taking on known liability. However, there are certain ways to offset that, mainly in showing a loss to balance the books in the L column. However, there are actual ways to be ahead while taking an L, it just depends on the amount of A's to offset the L's. Further, if there was substantial OE, then the L could put them ahead for the year as far as cash out due to tax, it all just depends on how large the parent insurer is. So if it's a small insurer, I can sympathize. For a large corporate insurer, it's bullshit. From the human side of my brain, it's total horse poo poo.

edit: Also, why the gently caress does my brain think in empathetic terms these days? Probably my wife's social work chat stuff rubbing off or some such poo poo.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2019

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Can't build a wall out of empathy.

Living in CA, people with rentals are super cool with no wall and being a sanctuary state since it's driving the rental market upward. More demand + same supply = higher prices. Additionally, minimum wage going up = people's willingness to pay is going up and driving home ownership even further out of reach for the average family which in turn drives rental prices up further as a result. But, ya know, CA isn't really good at that whole market factors thing, they just look at it as state deficit = need higher minimum wage = collect more taxes. CA lawmakers are cute. :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hahaha, seriously. I mean, the wall is a nice symbol, but really doesn't discourage anything other than a 15-minute bypass under/over/through. Immigration is looked at as an external problem and not an internal one that rewards those who enter illegallyUndocumentedly. It's so screwed up that friends of ours in Costa Rica/Panama can't even come to visit for vacation.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

lol wut

Yeah, I'm super excited that these $5/hr cash-under-the-table immigrants are here to drive up demand on my $3000/mo 1 bedroom rental apartment because that's definitely a thing that happens

I'll let you read this piece: https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/329141-does-mass-immigration-drive-up-home-prices-one-study-says

Some numbers: https://www.ppic.org/publication/immigrants-in-california/
http://www.pewhispanic.org/interactives/unauthorized-immigrants/

California overwhelmingly has a higher percentage of "foreign-born population nationwide", with this comes simple supply and demand. Housing and thereby rentals are directly affected, I'd argue that many undocumented can't afford to purchase a house, much less throw themselves in jeopardy with signatures on a document. This is where rentals come in. Obviously there are many other factors that come into play, distance to major metro areas, etc... But there's no denying a pew estimated 6% of our state as of 2014 causes unintended fuckery with our pricing.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think those numbers of % overstayers are low. I've seen 60% as a fairly well researched number.

According to my wife, who up until a year ago worked with human trafficking victims and rehoming refugees, that’s a very close number as to the going estimate which is another reason why the wall is bullshit.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Is there any actual percentage of how BMW the new Supra is?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'd love to see some guys like Roadkill hack one to bits and weigh the parts piles.

That would be beautiful! :haw:

You Am I posted:

Very high, all the drive train is BMW, including motor. Not sure on interior parts.

Oh. Well, it sounded too good to be true.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dagen H posted:

I tried to do this by logging onto an automotive forum, but welp

P.much. I killed off a vast majority of my friends list on Facebook because of politi-chat. Things were getting insane to the point of "Stubbed my toe and here's why it's (opposite side political figures)'s fault!" I had to make sure it wasn't The Onion. I miss the non-affordable internet where people that were using it were enthusiasts genuinely chatting to share knowledge.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

At the very least, it's a two-edged sword.

Absolutely. I say all the time that it's a double-edged sword. On the up-side, you can find anything you want... On the down-side, you can find anything you want.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

drat poors ruin everything.

Darchangel posted:

Not so much that, I think, as a low cost of entry to a thing reduces the perceived value.

Darchangel hit the nail on the head. When the internet first hit our area, it was 1994, at the time access was considered a "subscription" and not a "service" and certainly not anywhere near "human right" territory. I had just started going to our local JC and was working part-time, probably making somewhere around $500 a month and still living at home. Then a friend of mine told me about a world-wide sort of connected bbs system. We went down and plunked down $100 for a startup fee and $180 a month for 40 hours of internet access ($4.50/hr). Everything at that time was essentially measured/spared for when we got to use our online time and we didn't use it unless we either had hours to spare or really needed to. The startup was 1/2 my monthly take-home but completely worth it because of the amount of instantly available information. The next month I upgraded to a 28.8 modem which made things 2x faster so I could maximize my internet time/money/output. Then the price dropped in Jan 95 to $150, around the middle of the year it became unlimited hours and I thought, "OH MAN! THAT'S AWESOME!" Then the "everyday" person started getting on around 99 which was great because more people to share ideas with and learn from. Then the real everyday people started using it and it turned into what it is today. Times used to be simpler, man.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

At least you're getting something for it.

One of the defining factors of me never doing tech work in silicon valley past an internship is in CA, tech workers are salary exempt meaning companies are able to pay 60k a year and not a dime more including overtime. It's a super dick move that obviously has roots in SV lobbyists and for all intents and purpose means base to mid-level tech workers are always in the poverty category for the area. I honestly have no idea how/why people even consider working in that shithole, especially with the price of everything moving to levels of unobtainium.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

Apparently he forgot about my two weeks notice and I had to remind him that it was my last day.

If I had a boss that lovely that didn't remember I had already given 2 weeks notice, given it was the last day, I would have looked him straight in the eye and deadpan said "Well then, I'll do you the favor... I. Quit!" Then walk off, because gently caress it... Already gone anyway.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Any Atlanta goons in here? If so, what is your experience living there? Extra credit if you’re a out of state transplant.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Thanks for the feedback Safety Dance and 64bit_Dophins. I'm considering a job offer I got for a company based in Atlanta, we're talking numbers right now and I've already been doing my homework as to cost of living and homeownership, etc... But it looks like a pretty solid place to live, 1 stat I read and thought was interesting which makes sense since it's essentially a city in the middle of a forest is at any given time you're within 10 feet of some type of snake.

Instapot chat: We make a ton of stuff in our Instapot, the things that turn out the best are ribs, soups, and tougher cuts of meat since it's essentially a glorified smaller electronic pressure cooker. I tried "an amazingly easy spaghetti Instapot recipe!(tm)" last night and it was hosed from the get-go, every 5 minutes the "burning" indicator would light up and it would kick off. So then I took it out of the Instapot and threw it into a normal pot on the stove and even transferring it, it had that smoke-filled burned smell, had to throw it out this morning after it cooled off.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I need to get on watching that series. Was it written in a way that the first was a complete movie and after they found out it was bankable they decided to trilogy it and that's where the 2nd falls short?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Okay, okay, I get it. meatpimp r not good with words.

I'm just here for the butt stuff.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Will Chat: Even with all the will and legal stuff in the world, it can't save you from a hosed up family member if the person that's passed/ing away is elderly and isn't lucid but appears as such. My wife's grandma just got super hosed a year and a half ago by her brother after taking advantage of their mom via being named executor of the will and other horseshit.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

And as someone without relevant skills, as long as you have passion and an ok resume, a surprising number of places will reach out. It feels really good

This doesn't happen in CA unless it's "HAY YOUNG MAN, YOU WANNA INSTALL SOLAR/SELL INSURANCE/SELL OR INSTALL ALARM SYSTEMS?!?" Also, the market here is way too saturated which is why I'm looking outside of CA... that at some fresh non-CA perspective couldn't hurt. I've only applied for 5 jobs outside and I've already been contacted by 3 as opposed to hundreds and maybe 10, just the usual "Thank you for applying, you're definitely qualified but we decided to go a different route." generic emails. Though inside CA, I'm looking at jobs staying in academia, which by very definition they already have someone they want to hire they just have to go through the motions since somebody somewhere said," YOU HAVE TO GIVE EVERYBODY A CHANCE!" So they do the academia shuffle which is the industry norm, I just wish it was more like hiring in private industry where if they have someone they just promote them and if not then they throw a job announcement out to everybody.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I feel like the job market is so weird right now, everyone is hiring but no one wants to hire a new employee

Sums up the job market right now. I've had 6 interviews for director/CTO positions only to find out somehow the college/university miraculously had the right person working there the whole time, WHO KNEW?!? This is why I hate the normies that impose these idiotic rules into the books to "ensure equity in hiring." Just hire the person from within and move on which is what you're going to do anyway... For those of you not in academia and want to move that direction, good luck because it's about who you know, not what you know. God knows it's not about what you know, the CTO here always wants me to run all the goddamn numbers for him because he's too incompetent to do so himself as evident by board meetings when he clearly has no clue about what numbers go into what project when asked.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

yay for CA's restrictive hiring or whatever bullshit was last mentioned about why it's so unfair for conservatives in CA, I'm sure tax rates and emissions regulations had something to do with it too

Whaaaa? Nobody said anything like that. Politics wasn’t mentioned anywhere, please elaborate.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I don't have any word back on the cool job that I would have to relocate for.

I just got word back from a cool job that I would have relocated for this morning. Apparently, they were looking for someone with an Oracle cert for a job that "Directs and leads a major segment of the IT organization specific to the financial systems." Seems legit. I think most the time there is an absolute disconnect between HR and the division they are hiring for, at least that's been my experience.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'd hope that the contractor thing would disconnect her from any "corporate loyalty" bullshit, but... eehhhhhh.

Yeah, that whole HR being disconnected from corporate loyalty thing goes right out the windows as soon as they get their first paycheck from said place of business. The same thing happens here too, a few years ago they made everybody in HR management level so they are disconnected from both teachers/classified unions and surprise surprise, they are unanimously loyal to the management side of the house, whodathunk it?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looked up 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD's and of course, they only come in poo poo brown. What in the actual gently caress is Toyota thinking? I'm assuming they got an amazing deal on poo poo brown, but can't they pawn that off on a strippy base model?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The former. Afaik Toyota only displays options for vehicles nearby. Because... No idea.

Apparently that right there, all local dealers went balls deep on poo poo brown.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Oh, neat, all the assholes throwing hissy fits and withholding paychecks loving their constituents did a thing... until it all folds again in 3 weeks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

China is blatantly knocking off US IP. This thing is 85% Roomba and 15% improvement.

That's the cost of doing business/manufacturing in China. When I was doing my MBA, my managing global competition professor broke down the China powerplay. In order for any company to do business in China, the company must be 51% owned by a "Chinese company" which means the government since peoples republic. Which conveniently means that a company has a 1 sided partnership for their product to be blatantly ripped off, because what in the hell is proprietary IP/copyright anyway when China is involved. I'd venture to say even the 15% improvement is stolen IP from another company that was slung into a robot vacuum. This dude absolutely hated Trump with a passion, but he also said that's the 1 thing he got right.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Tesla's GF3 is the first non-majority Chinese factory in China iirc.

Doesn’t surprise me that it would eventually happen, talk has been shifting over to Africa for a bit for manufacturing though it’s still considered highly volatile. Wages, regulation, and availability of land make it a prime location.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

This is 99.9999% of all poly relationships. Some people make it work, but they are absolutely unicorns.

Pretty much, why even get "married" if you're just gonna gently caress other people anyway? Tax purposes are the only thing I got...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

A poly relationship 12 years ago left me so hosed up that since it ended I haven't had a relationship last more than two dates and can count the number of sexual encounters I've had on one hand.

I don't know if I'll ever be okay enough to let someone in again.

I feel if someone has a poly relationship in college, live your dreams... But if someone is in a poly relationship and then they want to throw kids into the equation, or even worse they do their own couple thing then have kids and then 1 wants to switch to a poly, then... welcome to years of therapy kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

one had kids and they didn't want to find out who was the actual father. Like, jesus dudes this is a seriously bad idea.

Ultra Semen Thunderdome: Battle Royale Edition! :haw: