Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's a new year, goons, let's make it a good one. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm wiring in gfci outlets, a good start so far.

Pick up one of these... they're cheap and they come in handy. You can pick up whatever brand at Home Depot or any place fine electronics are sold.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...ing+tester+120v

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Very true, weighing yourself leads to this obsession over slight fluctuations in the numbers when you can easily vary day to day just on water weight alone by something like 5lbs.

Not weighing yourself because you're not in competition is ostrich-based health. Just because you check your weight regularly doesn't mean there's an obsession regarding it. I can swing my weight over 12 pounds in a day, if I bike early and long, then pound fluids and food afterward. It's kinda fun to see that. On the other hand, I can have my weight hypothesis in my head before I get on the scale and I'm almost always within .5 pounds. That's accounting for the normal day-to-day variances. 2-3 pound fluctuation during any individual day is my norm.

Not watching your weight (note I said "watching" and not anything religious) is not healthy. BMI is important, and there are other factors.

That said, I'm not giving up alcohol, but it's that time of year to give sugar a rest. Man, over the holidays sugar-filled everything seems to just materialize... plus my wife makes killer fudge that we send all over the country. And having that fudge around instantly adds 5 pounds to my scale totals.

Time to get rid of the fudge pounds. :toot:

slidebite posted:

Yeah, weighing yourself every few days is better than every day, or more. You're basically keeping track of bowel movements and pissing at that point.

Not better, different (but still probably a healthy routine). Depends on how you use the numbers. Either way, weighing yourself a few times a week is different than "I don't weigh myself."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

BMI in concept is important, but the actual numbers don't scale well with height.

They don't necessarily scale with height or muscle mass, but once you know where you are at individually, it's a good number to track.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not really. If you already know where you're at, tracking BMI offers nothing over tracking weight alone, since height^2 won't change. And neither weight nor BMI is as helpful as buying calipers.

I'll defer to the medical professional's opinion on this, and yeah, I guess bmi is just weight/height factor so weight is the only variable.

Adiabatic posted:

I mean I'm far from a professional athlete. I'm around 15% body fat and I'm dangerously close to being "obese" at 215lbs, 6'0", and a BMI of 29.2.

If you aren't working out I guess it's an okay indicator.

That's right where I'm at, minus an inch. I've always been on the "obese" threshold, but my PCP has never mentioned it as anything to be concerned with, since muscle mass/frame is not taken into account with BMI. Wide shoulder team, unite.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What I love about orthopedic surgeons is that they make a conscious effort to play dumb despite being objectively brighter than average across the board (since it's so competitive a specialty). They have the "aw, shucks, I'm just a bone doctor, better admit them to medicine for me to consult on" act down to a science.

It was a great rotation as a student, by the way. Their surgeries are great to watch. But I'm way too lazy to be a surgeon.

On that note, a question -- everyone that I've ever known that has seen an orthopedist for anything leg/foot related has been prescribed orthotics. Is that an easy revenue stream, or is it true that feet deformities drive many/most leg/foot problems? Or is my experience outside of the norm?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Time to start planning how to negotiate down the buyback on your newly salvage-titled WRX.

I don't know about that... the way the passenger wheel is twisted, that unibody is ripped and mangled. :( Unless it's a parts donor, I don't see that one ever tracking correctly again.

Good luck, AnnoyBot.

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm not sure if I'll get something sensible or get wacky with something like a W220 Mercedes or Envoy with the Atlas I6. A 295hp twincam I6 SUV? I could get on board for that. On the other hand my dad wants to sell his 944S2 cabrio. That sounds like a bad choice for an actual usable car though.

The Envoy is a dog. I had one. Unless you can find a Denali, but that's got an LS motor.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

Do you own any old CDs? Because if so, BAM! Ice scraper.

Credit cards work better.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

According to neighbourhood scuttlebutt, my neighbour came out, and saw the dude going to town on the windshield of a lifted Tundra with an old credit card.

No shame in that game. It works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

After dusting the 60 degree sunshine off my windshield I went for a drive in the Miata with the top down to fully commiserate with you ice scraping fools.

Too mean.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

I've missed you, my friend!

Hell yeah, this. Catch us up, trapper of sigs...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

So the Aston's been that unreliable eh? Should buy one of those reliable imports, like a Honda, or Toyota Froot Truck.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Good update, sigtrap. Welcome back. Sounds like a lot of progress going on there. Well done.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

How the hell do I take off these Japanese hood struts the right way? No clamp no pin. Any ideas?

Pull.

There's a wire clip that moves around the ball to hold it on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Goober Peas posted:

I haven't had that experience, and also have a dozen between the 8TB and 10TB. That's weird.

God drat that's a lot of storage. WTB: invites to your plex.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Haven't been better in a LONG time.

Somebody's getting some lovin. 😀

It's okay, we'll be here for you when it's over.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I have all new hardware waiting to go in!

Until the fitting is too far gone and once you cut it out, the piping is too short to connect properly, so you have to cut it further back to put a stub section in and you're 7 hours into a 1 hour job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We have a Lowes and HD within 3 miles but I prefer Menards which is like 8 miles away,

Menards is such a weird store. Cool, but weird.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

I'm not "nice people", but thanks for sparing me a thought.

Are you okay?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

That's good for dialup. (And yes, I recognize that it's about 7x a good dialup d/l speed)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slurry_curry posted:

Its probably unfounded, but I am still kind of scared of turbo'd BMWs. I know the early 335i's had HPFP issues, is there a specific year that they 100% fixed that issue?

Nothing with BMW is ever 100% fixed. My 535xi had the HPFP replaced about 70k miles ago and it's still putting out 3000psi when it needs to.

BMW is stupid for making a 3000 psi fuel pump.

BMW

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Can't build a wall out of empathy.

I'll climb right over your empathy wall.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Prong Song posted:

...are you objecting to the source, or are you actually trying to say that more people living in an area doesn't drive up rental prices?

What if the question and issue is more than a binary thing? Looks like the source sucks, and more people living in an area is a component of increased rental prices. Multivariate problems are more common than binary ones.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AnnoyBot posted:

Never been thrilled by a Lexus.

That's part of the magic. They don't stick out. They don't increase your heart rate when you see them, or when you first drive them. But then, over time, you notice that they do everything well. Not perfectly, but really, really well. And there are no compromises. And the lack of compromises is what grows on you, as you have a car that does everything you want it to, without wanting anything other than basic maintenance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is probably some form of psychosomatic confirmation bias to be honest

Depends on the car.

The 1MZ-FE in my beater Avalon was rated on 87 octane. The exact same motor used in Lexus cars was rated on 91 octane and made 5% more hp and 10% more torques. I can tell you straight away that there is a noticeable difference between running it on 89 versus 93. It's just a motor that adjusts the timing pretty aggressively based on the knock sensors. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The F20 series motor was tuned for 87

That misses the point that some motors respond very well to a small increase in octane due to aggressive map adjustment based on knock sensor input.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The giant question mark is whether or not a given engine's factory programming will do this. Anything modern will certainly adjust timing around, but the computer will only advance timing so far - if the maximum allowed isn't advanced enough to need more than 87 octane, then there wouldn't be any benefit.

Yep, depends on the motor. I've seen big gains with some and zero with others.

STR posted:

though I know mom's 03 Avalon with 175k (1MZ-FE w/VVTi, same motor in meatpimp's Avalon) seems to run exactly the same no matter what octane it gets (it's seen very regular maintenance, and looking in via the spark plug holes shows very little carbon, so maybe that helps?).

This may be the key. Same motor, same car. I see a difference, STR doesn't. I know that when I'm working a car over, it sees binary throttle and redline... a lot. Enough to see the timing change over time and per-key-cycle (when I first got the Avalon it had seen nothing but crap gas and lovely maintenance. The first tank of 93 was noticeable as the ECU only adjusts timing so much per key cycle).

But I wonder how many people that talk about differences or not in their cars are really getting to the point where the knock sensor even comes into play. Most people I drive with never, ever use the upper end of the RPM range...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

I put 93 in my 2.3L Accord and it runs so much smoother.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Honda F22A, which is the motor I was talking about, does not have a knock sensor.

:psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

There were McDonalds dipping sauces in the White House's silver gravy boats, which were below lit golden candelabras. No political comments, just pointing out that that is the most post-modern absurdist thing I have ever seen irl.

And good luck, blind, sounds like they are going to reap what they have sown.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:five:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

In the first interviews he said 300 burgers. He can't go 10 minutes without telling a lie.

I can't believe the Clemson football team ate all 10,000 hamberders.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

What in the hell is happening in this world?

Two preeminent countries vying for the title of "biggest fall in stature and status in history."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I pulled a toilet out yesterday so I could finish laying the vinyl flooring. I discovered the floor flange was cracked and a small piece was missing. My initial googling lead me to a fairly complicated repair involving cutting out the old flange (and upper pvc) and then gluing in the new flange all the while being very careful to not break the pipe or cut too deep. I wasn't too enthused about undertaking this task but I steeled myself and started preparing. Was looking at $150+ for parts and a saw that could do the job.

And then I spent more than 3 minutes searching and I discovered they make a repair/replace unit that goes directly over the broken one and fits under the toiler with zero clearance issues. And there's even one with a rubber cone that seals up against the toilet to double the protection the normal wax seal gives. And it's $18. Currently sitting here with a cider and surveying my newly placed flange repair and am pretty thrilled with how easy this was to do.

:cheers:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I just married my brother and his wife. It's an odd day.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

I'm assuming you mean "officiated their wedding", right? Or...

Good correction. Yes, you are correct.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this is what LIBERALS want!!!

Goober Peas posted:

Can't wait to hear about the honeymoon :laffo:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The fraternal devils threeway.

angryrobots posted:

Username/post combo?

Okay, okay, I get it. meatpimp r not good with words.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Siochain posted:

Just did rice in my instant pot for the first time last night. I needed a bit more water, but it came out great. 100% happy with it.
Also took like 10 minutes tops.for a huge pot of rice.
A+ would recommend.

Yep, I use the instant pot for rice all the time. Easy and perfect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

keykey posted:

I'm just here for the butt stuff.

So say we all.

In other news, my local grocery has a sale on Jardine's salsa. I tried the Hatch Green Chili and it was yummy. I tried the Ghost Pepper and it's really hot, and yummy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KozmoNaut posted:

100% behind you QC, you're good people and you shouldn't kowtow to your lovely parents. Live the life you want to live.

Sums it up. Keep doing what you're doing, QC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Awesome

Edit for my Metric friends: that's -2 to -11C, with 15-25cm of snowfall.

We got 4-5" and people freaked out. Self-reliance is a dying trait.

Dagen H posted:

I've got a new word:

That's a great new word.