Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hoodwinker posted:

lmao @ crypto but the concern about SIM swaps and the problems with SMS-based 2FA are legit whether it's attacks against your shitcoins or your actual bank account.

With an actual bank account at least you have recourse. No excuse for using SMS 2FA, though, complain to your bank if they can't do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hoodwinker posted:

Thankfully, when you look at the list of investment companies, many of those support hardware and software tokens.
Vanguard supports U2F tokens but refuses to let you use them with any browser but Chrome and requires a SMS fallback :(

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

DaveSauce posted:

People steal unsecured password databases (or they take secured databases and they crack the encryption offline) and then use those credentials to log in to other sites. No amount of complex passwords will help you there
Complex passwords can easily be impossible to extract from a leaked but otherwise well-secured database, while simpler ones might still be found by brute force.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

OctaMurk posted:

I dont see where it says what he majored in, but the dude only took out 12k in loans the second time which seems like a small amount. Plus he basically had to go back to school because the recession hosed his career.
A recession doesn't magically invalidate your education after the economy recovers.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Can’t say I’m surprised that a bunch of people got roped into that cattle Ponzi scheme. Bet a lot of people have beef with that guy now.

Less than they thought they did, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Vox Nihili posted:

Wine experts can absolutely differentiate between red and white wines, among other things. The people actually buying the stuff typically cannot (iirc the study you're probably thinking of was with normal people, not experts).

For a good time, do a blind tasting with self-described wine afficionados. Everyone shits themselves in fear of liking the "wrong" stuff. Works with whiskey too, especially Scotch and the Japanese bullshit.
I've had the opportunity to try a bunch of really high end scotch, and IMO the quality actually starts going down above $60/bottle or so. It starts getting to be less about the taste and more about the story behind the bottle. There's also lots of really excellent cheap stuff out there that just hasn't found its marketing footing yet.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

paternity suitor posted:

Don't hold out on me man!
The most striking example of liquor price nonsense I recently purchased is actually an overproof rum I found by way of an restauranteur acquaintance: Rum Fire. From the price and the branding you'd expect paint thinner, but it's actually one of the most flavorful rums I've ever had. I don't see this staying cheap for long, with how cocktail bars are flocking to it. Rum is a good category for this in general since it doesn't have so much cachet.

I don't buy so much scotch these days since even the cheap stuff is expensive, but basically you can be confident that most of the big names (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc) got that way because they make genuinely excellent liquor at mid-market prices. I find American whiskies are often better price per quality as well, for a similar, if not quite identical, spirit; for example Copperworks punches above its weight, though it's not the cheapest to begin with.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

wilderthanmild posted:

I mean, you might be able to make a perfect copy of some $1000 scotch and sell it for cheaper than that, but how much of a market is there for that?

Not much, especially once people catch on that $1000 scotch is not nearly as good as $60 scotch.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

untzthatshit posted:

Like, do you not realize how easy it is for a worm to edit your unsecure email and have me sending your millions to some bank in Hong Kong?
Has that ever actually happened? Fake invoices, sure, but intercepting and editing a real one in-flight is some real high-touch targeted attack level poo poo, and if you're that good there are easier ways to get rich.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
It bothers me how much of a bad rap pots of lentils get. Properly spiced, they can be delicious and effort-efficient. If it's economical as well, all the better!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Sundae posted:

Indian food is the best poo poo ever. Give me chickpeas and lentils until I die of happiness.

Lately I've been into doing huge pots of palak paneer. It turns out that with a baking stone you can even do half decent fresh naan! Heats your house nicely in the winter, too.

You don't have to be a cultist to cook large batches of cheap delicious food.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Switchback posted:

I guess I don't understand this attitude at all, especially in this thread.

Why talk about the price of anything, then, if planning ahead is impossible because wHo kNoWs? If you are buying a $100,000 house, it seems really dishonest to not also consider that you are purchasing an $80,000 mortgage TODAY, so you are committing to a $180,000 purchase right now. Even if you don't pay it off for 30 years, and so (maybe?) it feels like less money in the future than it does right now, that house will still cost you $80k more in today's dollars than if you bought it in cash.

We talk about house prices all the time. We always consider car cost plus the financing cost. Yet the second biggest purchase most people will ever make in their lives NOBODY TALKS ABOUT, and people brush me off saying "well that's a useless number".
You can and should make reasonable estimates of the total cost in today's dollars of a mortgage including interest. Blindly summing up every interest payment and ignoring the fact that they're distributed over time over which inflation and opportunity cost occur is not how you do that. You're grossly overestimating the total cost.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I, too, am physically nauseated by the prospect of people with common interests socializing in organized events.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That's a pretty tame lesson learned, honestly.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

The Leck posted:

I feel like this is probably the best thread to share the amazing ad I got recently:

Did Robinhood post that image? Are they trying to make fun of Vanguard for warning buyers of the risks with some probably-legally-required but extremely reasonable boilerplate? What a weird angle.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I just choose to not do my taxes every year and just get audited?

I hate doing taxes. I work multiple gigs and have multiple retirement plans and it’s a bit of a headache filing and the amount I owe Uncle Sam every year seems so random.

What’s the worst that can happen if I choose to just not file my taxes and instead wait for the IRS to audit me for what I owe? (Aside from needing to pay interest?)

In addition to the above, if the IRS has to do your taxes for you they'll just assume the most expensive possible answer to any question involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

There is a contribution limit about 20k

The mega backdoor has a significantly higher limit, though you need a cooperative employer to pull that one off.