Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If the husband is referring to assisted living, $6-8K per month sounds about right. Old folks homes are crazy expensive.

This is definitely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Very bad with security clearance but probably ultimately good with money since they seem to have stumbled upon the truth that most mortgage lenders were completely unable to deal with foreclosures after the financial crisis, particularly junior lienors that quickly determined they had almost no chance of ever recovering equity in a foreclosure after staggering through the morass of foreclosure. The guy who basically got a free $100k downpayment on his million-dollar house in particular did pretty well and will probably never face any real consequences for deciding not to pay.

Man, and it sounds like he was able to take the payments and save 400k. Pretty gwm all around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Haha, jesus, for a second there I thought that the guy somehow financed a Camry for $1700/month for 72 months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Did you buy that house or not? I need to know which direction to post about it in here.

House bought. :ohdear:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Some 20 year old army guy buying a 2005 Maserati with 125k miles on it? Stop I can only get so erect.

I wonder if any bank would finance that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lockback posted:

This may be the saving grace, he might have only spent a couple grand on a poo poo care rather than 40 grand on a Truck. On the scales of PFC-spending-habits this might actually be above median.

I just took a look out of grim curiosity and it looks like they run in the mid-teens used.

Anyone like gambling?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

uvar posted:

640 sq ft ought to be enough for anybody.

Anything above 700 sqft qualifies as a mansion.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since we're in AI right now can we just post automotive questions?

I commute on the train and need a car for going to the grocery store every now and then. My wife has a "nice" car for her commute and our travel needs. I'll probably need a nicer car in the next year or two when we have kids.

Should I:

1) Buy a used Golf R for 34k for now/later
2) Buy a beater for 5-10k for now. If so, what beater?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Liquid Communism posted:

Buy a reliable econobox with about 100k on the odo for sub $3k. You can pick up 10 year old Civics or Focuses with about that for sub-$2k all over autotrader, and while boring, they'll be perfectly fine transportation for the 8 days a month you'll be using them, and cheap to insure.

That Golf won't be in any worse shape when you go looking in a couple years, but will have vastly depreciated in price.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Buy my 2007 Nissan Versa.

Pros: 6spd manual

Cons: Nissan Versa

Sorry guys, I couldn't hear you. This is AI and I'm looking at beater Mercedes wagons.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Buy a bike for a few hundred and a bike trailer for another hundred. Perfect now and then grocery getter.

Buy car when you need it for kids.

Hah, I'll keep this as a plan D.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Buy the Golf now, then sell it in a few years for a massive loss and buy the most expensive SUV they will let you finance. It's the American way.

Payin' cash homie. :cool:

Switchback posted:

Grocery delivery is GWM because you only buy what is on the list and never get suckered into impulse buys. Where I live it’s like $3 delivery charge but even if it were an order of magnitude higher, it would still be more economical than buying an entire car just to go grocery shopping god drat.

Or you know, taking the dog to the vet when my wife's not home, or driving to Home Depot, or driving to work when I have to be in at 6am.

It's been a tough road, but my wife and I have made it to the point where we can afford to spend the princely sum of $5k on a spare winter beater instead of forcing me to bring mulch from home depot home on a bike trailer.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 22, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Your wife has a car right now and you commute by train, why can't you use hers for grocery/running around and for family duty later?

Because when she's on call, she may have to be at work on very short notice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Easychair Bootson posted:

You're asking this question of a dude who buys loving mechanical wristwatches that cost more than a good beater car. You know, things that tell you what time it is, albeit with less accuracy and more maintenance than any number of devices that he already owns or could buy cheaply that also tell the time.

Speedy Pro bros

Woah woah, I thought there was an unspoken agreement that the Watch Thread (and numerous AI thread) posters would not call each other out in the BWM thread.

sup

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanatosian posted:

It's regional. In Utah, it's fantastically common. I'm in Seattle; seeing anyone with kids at all is uncommon, and more than a couple definitely stands out.

I mean, seeing toddlers in the college dorms was also pretty uncommon...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Devian666 posted:

How does this thread feel about the fact that I've never owned a car and don't intend to buy any type of vehicle until I retire? Not possible to be BWM about cars when you don't have one.

Thread title: 2019 BMW: should I buy one?

As long as you're not "saving money" by living in downtown NYC/SF/Boston that sounds fine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everyone should buy a 2019 BMW, yes.

Those are weird examples since the price at the city center is nearly the same as 10 public transit stops away.

Everyone should live walking distance to work, if they can. There are physical and environmental benefits in addition to playing yuppie urbanite!

Hoodwinker posted:

If you live in a metropolitan area with good public transit, you can live reasonably affordably while still living well within city limits. I'd hazard it's probably cost saving as long as you also work in the city.

I'm sorry guys, I don't think you're familiar with the BWM thread. The only GWM thing to do is to telecommute to your job in NYC from a trailer park in Idaho.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Say what you will but dodges keep loving going. Only reason I got rid of the piece of poo poo neon was because it kept eating brake cylinders and I didn't want to change the clutch. Style? Lol gently caress that. Rust? The whole frame was rust. Thing just kept ticking though. Co-worker has a 96 Plymouth neon that's still on the road. Dodge makes poo poo cars but they keep chugging out of spite. Till they catch on fire like the one my dad had.

Hoodwinker posted:

I can't say I consider this an endorsement.

Well his dad lived so it's ok.

I hope. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I spend every dollar my wife and daughter want, as I smile and shake my head.

The time our 3 month old puppy got sick had me imagining explaining to my wife that a $4k stay in the Ivy league doggie ICU was not something we should be paying for.

Thankfully he just needed some IVFs and antibiotics, which were cheaper if someone prescribed them for a human...

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 24, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I get a certain pleasure out of telling car salesman I'm not interested in talking about monthly payments. Maybe too much pleasure.

:ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ixian posted:

That's the loving lede you go with for that post?

That was the main thing that jumped out at me too. Just because your wife has been captured by a drug cartel is no reason to be BWM.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 26, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any of you dudes watch these two Fyre documentaries? Pump that poo poo in to my veins.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moatman posted:

I mean I’d say spending 3k-250k on a music festival ticket plus another 3k+ on spending money for said festival, plus transportation is pretty BWM (and there was that one guy who told an organizer he quit his job to go)

I mean, if you can spend 250k on entertainment you're pretty gwm.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We moving soon?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BonerGhost posted:

Uh, parks and lakes are pretty?

E:

Don't you guys clear like $500k between the two of you? Your loan payments take up that much of your take-home?

Why don't you just get really BWM and take out a longer mortgage?

God I hope they're clearing more living in Iowa. being in medicine in the Midwest is very GWM.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Haifisch posted:

There's a middle ground in the big midwest cities, which are more expensive than Buttfuck Iowa but actually have poo poo to do and are less expensive than the coasts. No, it's not Manhattan-level nice, but most people can't afford Manhattan-level nice.

The caveat is the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures every winter, which suck rear end and don't get any better the longer you live here. But I'd consider that a fair trade for sane housing prices, plus we don't have to deal with earthquakes or hurricanes wrecking our poo poo every so often.

Exactly, but there are a lot of people convinced cramming themselves in to $2000/per person shared apartments in the bay area is preferable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nocheez posted:

Is self-posting not frowned upon in the BWM thread anymore? No one cares about your car.

I think we're taking a break while we're in frickin PI. Letting off some steam, ya know.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Dogs: better than cats.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

I beg to differ :v:

The one I bought was almost $10k, insured for $14k and is probably the greatest decision I’ve made in my life in addition to being GWM (as my salary went from $60k to $150k and hers went from $80k to $110k) :getin:

Must...resist...urge...to...selfpost.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Please, God, let this thread go to TFR next.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Miso Beno posted:

Do you live in Washington State?

Ugh if you only lived in the northeast.

I need a beater.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since we're still not back in BFC, I just want to say that next weekend I am going to take a look at a 10 year old BMW with a V8 engine. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If it's the only one worth getting then enjoy your rod bearing job.

Already done. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

Ahhhh tax season is beginning. Satisfying reading about dual high income couples having meltdowns because they owe a tax bill. You see, they increased their withholding so they didn’t give the government a loan. Those TCJA withholding tables should give us plenty of content this year.

I think many dual high income couples will be pleasantly surprised by their tax bill this year, which I'm pretty sure was the whole point of the tax cuts.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

BMW rod bearings or BE? The former, you'll be doing it again, the latter and you're good to go.

Rod bearings. What's BE?

I'm trying to convince myself that I can splurge on a 20k car and not get the 3k salvage title beater I was planning on.

Buncha limousine liberals itt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Now that you mention it, there's a part of me that wants to see the Retirement Savings Thread or Financial Goals thread from BFC go to D&D.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

There are a handful of cars that you can almost always make money on, but rely on getting an allocation. Which often involves being bad (or at least not great) with money. Porsche GT cars are on that list at the "low" end. P much any limited production Ferrari/Lamborghini/Konigsegg/etc works too.

This all depends on you basically not driving it much and having proper storage. Which doesn't sound like what one is supposed to do with cars like that. If I could afford that kind of thing I'd jut flog the poo poo out of it until my wallet cried on maintenance and repairs and it wasn't worth anything to sell.

I get the impression that Porsche has caught on to this and it's becoming much harder. Browsing Rennlist is my guilty daily pleasure and it seems as if the window for making money on GT cars is closing very quickly, especially when you factor in registration, taxes, protective film, and the usual things people expect when buying a 200k car. There's a certain amount of schadenfreude when these people lose money. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh hey that's a lot of posts!

Oh.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any time you can avoid buying new crap for a hobby, you should.

Rent 'em 3 times and see if it's still fun.

*Nervously looks at cross country skis bought at a ski swap while living in the upper midwest.*

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

canyoneer posted:

The frozen yogurt chain Menchie's has the exact same Dole Pineapple soft serve for 39 cents per ounce.

Disney Weddings are a powerful convergence of concentrated BWM. $3500 for a ceremony with up to 4 guests, no cake, no food, no reception, no lodging!

Get the more expensive package and you can get a 30 minute set with a costumed character for another $1,350

A full wedding for $3500 is extremely gwm.

Edit: we haven't done this for a while. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alan Smithee posted:

gWm is constantly fleecing your friends with a new wedding every two years to get that grift gifts because their freeloaders are expecting a three course meal anyway

None of my close friends have gotten divorced/remarried yet. I gotta feel like the expectations go down on wedding #2 right?