Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I do hope we get a series inspired by the classic El Santo movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

In all honesty, it's pretty crazy that when Jimmy Olsen was dealing with New Gods stuff was probably the most sane, stable time in his entire life.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I love Liefeld. I really do. It's so bad, but the dude loves doing it. He's like the Ed Wood of comicdom. Batman's missing leg has been noted, but based on the leg positioning, it looks to me like it's sticking out at a weird angle, possibly up to 90 degrees (and then disappearing).

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That's something I would actually be interested in, but not with that. With any luck they'll have a reprint without it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman: the golden streets of Gotham elseworld's story is really good.

Agreed, though I feel it could have used a couple extra pages to smooth the ending a bit. It's a little abrupt as-is. I also liked Nine Lives well enough.

I need to find a copy of 1001 Emerald Nights, or hope it shows up in a collection. It was merely ok, but it was so pretty.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I think it is in one of the elseworlds collections they printed recently.

What! How did I miss that? Thanks for the heads up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

taichara posted:

And he's putting every single DC future story into one continuity.

Huh, I gotta say I'm intrigued. I'm immediately reminded of Twilight by Chaykin, which did something similar, though in a rather weird way.

Edit: ^^ I think you might be in the wrong thread, but keep the post.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

loving what? posted:

He's living in the Midwest, but he's from a planet that has oceans. So, at one point he thinks, 'I need to be near water!' So, joining the Navy is a very normal progression.

It makes total sense if you ignore the parts that don't make sense!

I genuinely have no idea what I expected from Frank Miller's Superman, but uh... boy did he exceed expectations, I guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Superman did join a foreign government's army in his second story ever, but that was to torment a weapons manufacturer, who he also forced to join, into not being a piece of poo poo.

Is there anything out there quite like the early Golden Age Superman? It sounds like Morrison's New52 stuff kinda scratches at it, should I check it out?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Instead of Frank Miller, how about we talk about Jim Cheung channeling some Jack Kirby? Love the ol’ Barreling through a group of mooks thing Kirby would do with OMAC, Cap, Orion, etc;

Yes, please. Are there plans for more Kirby trades? I'd like to read OMAC and Kamandi at some point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I am super intrigued. A fantasy-horror series sounds interesting. This and the Joe Hill stuff seems neat.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I am super sold on that Question. I've not actually read a Question series before, but I've always liked his style.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'm kinda intrigued by that Knightfall one, but these are really more DC's "What-if?" than Elseworlds. That Death of Superman one sounds hella lame though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

A number of Elseworlds were What If...?s though like Speeding Bullets or whatever the Batman who becomes a GL one is.

It's a shame they never made one where Kal-El (or, I guess Kara) lands on Themyscara

I suppose I think of What If...?s as being standard continuity up to a turning point, where Elseworlds' changes are deeper. As I think about it though, it's not really a distinction borne out by facts. Just look at JLA: Act of God (do not, actually, look at JLA: Act of God).

In general, Wonder Woman didn't get nearly enough Elseworlds; on a quick count there's three, and one of them's Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy and I've heard that one called the worst Elseworlds. It's a shame, I think there's a lot of fun stuff you could do with a Wonder Woman Elseworlds. I also wish we'd gotten that weird fantasy Green Lantern Elseworlds.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Also reading Gotham by Gaslight for the first time. It's neat, but not super pulling me in.

I wish Gotham by Gaslight was longer. I loved it, but it really feels like there should be more. 48 pages just wasn't enough.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I just finished the first half of it where the antagonist is apprehended, and it just felt kind of limp. I had guessed who the bad guy was as soon as he appeared on page and he just kinda goes "eh whatever you got me" at the end. Trying to be vague to avoid spoiling it, but it seems like the book is more interested in the gimmick of a Batman in a Victorian era than in actually making the story interesting. I was kind hoping that Jack would be Joker and it would be a twist on the mythos of how Batman meets Joker, only this time in 1800s London.

Granted, I haven't read the second half of the book, and it could turn out to be amazing. We'll see.

I assume that limpness is because they were limited to 48 pages. I mean, solving the Ripper Murders in 48 pages? Master of the Future is fun, but it's not deep or anything. Weirdly light though, which I must admit is a nice change.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Reading all four of those posts, it's some pretty impressive work, but gently caress am I sick and tired of loving Doomsday Clock. Admittedly I thought it was a dumb idea in the first place, but it just keeps going, and going, and dragging everything it can grab in with it. The writer says they think any rewrites were fairly minimal, but I'm curious what it'd all have looked like if Doomsday Clock was on time. Surely not at all what things look like now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, that's about my thoughts in the end. It sounds like the movie does what I wanted, expanding the story and all that, but I've not heard anything particularly good about it.

Love that costume too. I thought it was disappointing that Arkham Origins had it, but I there was no way for me to switch costumes until I beat the game (City had a cheat code to let me do that, after all).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

I don't really like the idea of a Batman that isn't one of Bruce's proteges, just because it feels like "I need someone to take over for me. I have a whole bunch of people I trained and nurtured to be just as good as I am. Nah, I'm going to pick this totally other dude."

Hey now, last time it worked out... uh... hm. Well, at least this time he's not choosing someone with some weird cult brainwashing?

Anyway, I've only actually encountered Luke Fox as Barbara's love interest, and I didn't hate him (I still need to pick up volume 3 of the Burnside run though), but he also didn't make much impression. Wasn't he Batwing for a bit?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, maybe DC will stop trying to kill or wipe my favourite characters from existence now. Frankly I don't get why he was around for so long, it seems like so many stupid loving ideas came directly from him.

At the very least, Dick Grayson can breathe a sigh of relief.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I do wish we'd get clown-themed '30s gangster Joker back, at least for a while. Wild, cartoonish, and violently dangerous, yes, but more interested in doing crime than making big statements.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Is he one of the THREE JOKERS that they're never going to do anything with?

gently caress, I forgot about that bit of stupidity.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I need to read The Question, especially the O'Neil run, but I could never find the first trade. My limited experience is Renee Montoya's very brief appearance in Final Crisis, Pax Americana, and JLU. But it also seems like a concept you could do a lot with. I personally had an idea for a miniseries (admittedly with a heavy Hotline Miami inspiration) where The Question is tearing through the mob, exposing corruption, and slowly unravelling a conspiracy, but we're seeing it from the perspective of a detective trying to figure out who the Hell this guy is.

I'm still annoyed DC only did one Azrael release, at some point he had a crossover with The Question.

poo poo, thinking about Renee Montoya, I need to read more Batwoman. That's not the fault of not being able to find it, I just keep putting it off for other books.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Probably because I'm the only one that cares, Azrael only got one trade. A second volume got to showing up on Amazon, but got cancelled. Makes me wonder if DC shouldn't have a print on demand thing for runs that are less likely make money.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

(Click into the tweet for the thread.
The author does go on to say that this work, while excellent, doesn't undo the fact that John Bryne himself is an rear end in a top hat.)

Wow, that list of quotes. I love how in between some of the truly awful poo poo he said, there's a bit where he's bitching about Alien 3 for the stupidest of reasons and being a total dick about it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I keep on meaning to pick up the Knightfall collections, but then I keep putting them off and then when I feel like it's a good time, DC suddenly announces a new, somewhat more complete collection is coming out really soon, so I end up putting it off again and the cycle repeats.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I quite liked Final Crisis, though I felt it took me a couple reads to really get a grasp on it. Its Batman element is fairly small, but important (confession, I haven't read Morrison's Batman run past Batman and Son, barring the couple of direct tie-ins in the Final Crisis collection, so if there's a catch-up page later in the Morrison Batman trades I'm unaware of it).

I really liked Sword of Azrael, I think it's worth tracking down, especially if you're reading Knightfall. A couple years ago DC put out a trade that contained Sword of Azrael and the first seven issues of the post-Knightfall Azrael series, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find, I suspect.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 13, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Not sure about Nightwing, but for Jason I believe the collection Second Chances has his first appearance. Not sure when this was, originally Jason was less edgy (I call the two phases "When he's Dick and when he's a dick"). Also not sure how easy it is to track down.

Edit: I guess that's his first post-Crisis appearance. Not sure about pre-Crisis.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 14, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

:geno:

drat cool cover though!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just accidentally read Multiversity from Pax Americana on and now I'm upset that Multiversity Too is still a no-show.

Where's my Sunshine Superman series DC.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Definitely has been, I read it a long while ago. It's... probably a good thing it never panned out, but it's neat that they're officially putting it out there for people to see. It's definitely fascinating to look at a pitch like that and I wish we saw more behind the scenes stuff like that for stories that never came to pass.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Isn't there an Elseworld that does that?

Gotham by Gaslight, the first Elseworld (they retroactively applied the label, even).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The time travel aspect was shown (as the "Omega Effect") in Jack Kirby's Forever People issues 6 and 7 (6 the Forever People and Sonny Sumo get hit with it and are thought dead, 7 reveals they got shunted through time), and in Final Crisis Sonny Sumo references that story, so it's not completely new.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Everybody keeps asking who or what the three jokers are, but I feel like I must ask, quite simply, why are they doing this?

I feel like Johns felt like he hadn't left a big enough mark on the history of DC and this is one of his attempts to cement a legacy. Mind you, if that's accurate I feel like he's seriously underestimating his influence, we're going to be living with his decisions for a long time.

I feel like Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers are two dumb ideas that didn't have the decency to come out in a timely manner and instead just sat around stinking up the joint. DC's been teasing Three Jokers for loving ages and I just cannot possibly care. Just get it out your system, guys, at least Doomsday Clock ended, even if it took an extra loving year.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Does Napier actually exist in any canon aside from the 89’ Batman movie?

The DCAU, kinda? If I remember right, there are a few episodes where you can see the name on Joker's cell or paperwork or something, though I don't think they ever actually said the name.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ah, thanks. It's been a while.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hadn't actually seen punchline and just looked her up and I'm not sure what I was expecting but "aggressively bland" wasn't it. Jokers daughter sucked but at least there was an idea in the design.

Haha, gently caress I had managed to forget about her. Remember when the Joker's Daughter lenticular cover Villain Month comic was going for like, $50 on eBay because scalpers were sure she was going to be the breakout character?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

Here is a challenge for any Batman writer, make a Batman vs Joker story that is 2 issues long. Won't be forced to make a big epic, won't be forced to show over multiple issues how Joker is winning every step of the way, won't be forced to show gruesome crime scenes over multiple pages.

I actually think that shorter stories in general might help. When every story has to fill a 6-issue trade, it has to be at least somewhat important, but a one or two issue story? Not only should it help use more villains, but the stakes wouldn't have to be as large.

Android Blues posted:

I would definitely like to see a de-emphasis on the Joker as scary murder man who does insanely twisted chemical attacks in favour of making him do some actual "joke" crimes where the punchline isn't people gruesomely dying. I mean, he can go back to the murder later, but like, at least one run of crimes where he's just doing preposterous stuff would be a nice change.

I do 100% believe that Joker should return to being a clown-themed gangster. I mean, he's still dangerous, he'll definitely kill people, but his goal is to knock over a bank with a tommy gun in one hand and a laughing fish in the other, and maybe the whole thing was a weird-rear end joke and the money's still there, safe and sound, not make some grand statement with a hundred person body count.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

is there a source on this because that sounds great

It gets brought up in the supplementary book of JLA/Avengers. You know, the fancy hardcover version.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

So with that arc over, JLA #60 was Robinson's final issue because Flashpoint was happening and the New 52 was overriding everything that came before it with new creative teams and a new continuity. So that final issue was less "why didn't anyone buy this book" and more "well I guess this is being cut short for a universal reboot so might as well toss these plans out into the ether!"

Since you have some idea of what was going on, is that what happened with the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run? It also ends with a montage of scenes that could have been really cool stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

The Stephanie Brown Batgirl series also ended in August 2011 to make way for the New 52, yeah. Pretty much any series that wasn't Geoff Johns's Green Lantern or Morrison's Batman Inc. got a few months' notice that they were ending (and continuity was being reset) so I think a lot of creative teams just tossed out all of the plot points they were planning on getting around to in those last few issues.

Ah, I was just unsure if the montage was actual plans they had or just fun art they did. I think what happened to Steph and Cass was the biggest thing that pissed me off about the New 52. I know my friend's heard me bitch about Dan Didio multiple times about that.

Besides Batgirl and Justice League, did any of the other ones do a montage of stories they wouldn't get to do? It's a particularly melancholy look at what could have been, but I'm curious how plans were changed by the reboot.