Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Can I only read 1 issue and buy the rest through the service? If not this is not for me sir and please stop trolling.

Hoopla allows you to check out e-books for three weeks at a time FOR FREE, including entire graphic novels. They have a selection of thousands from all the major publishers, including several hundred DC books (with the New 52 and Rebirth well represented, as well as lots of classics). It is offered by public libraries, so you just register for a free Hoopla account with your library card number, and then your library will have a specific number of checkouts you can do per month. (My system only allows four per month.) You can also keep a list/queue of things to check out later, and they also include streaming movies and music albums with shorter checkout periods.

It's not trolling. It's an incredible free service that has saved me thousands of dollars over the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing these are the main characters for Leviathan (saw it on some random's tweet)

Into that.

I absolutely love it. Maleev only gets better and better (even since his excellent Daredevil run), and Bendis excels at writing street-level superheroics, especially with a crime/noir/espionage/investigative journalism side to things.

I'm just sad they're using Plastic Man instead of Elongated Man, who is known for being a Batman-tier detective, and who deserves a push from a popular writer. Has he been used at all since 52? Is he even alive these days?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Sandman was 75 issues, I'm pretty sure nothing was printed that had the first 37ish issues in a single volume. I have Absolute Sandman 1 and it's like 20 some odd issues (it stops before Lucifer gives up on hell). I think there's 4 total volumes that collect everything.

I think there were either three or four Sandman Omnibus editions that wouldn't be as tall as the Absolute editions, but would be thicker with more issues (but again, no cardboard slipcases).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm starting to get psyched for Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan, since I think Daredevil is Bendis' best work ever (followed closely by his first New Avengers run), and I was hoping he would do something with the street-level heroes and detectives in the DCU. But I was disappointed to see Plastic Man as one of the main characters instead of Elongated Man, the stretchy superhero who is actually known as a detective. I have every intention of giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt to tell his story, but would there be any editorial mandate to use Plastic Man in place of Ralph? Is Ralph even alive in Rebirth? With him as a regular character on the Flash TV show, it seemed like a wasted opportunity.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ralph is the superior stretcher.

I've always had a soft spot for Ralph and Sue, of course due to Giffen and DeMatteis. I marked out when he was added to the Flash cast, and I even liked the actor a lot. He brought me back to watching for a while during Season 4, but I couldn't maintain that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Nice! The comic store exclusive Mister Miracle hardcover came out this month, by the way.

Not here. I called NINE comic shops in Orlando, stopped by every single comic vendor at MegaCon, and dropped by Midtown Comics when I was in New York over the weekend, and nobody received it. It sounds like Diamond shorted everyone, and I missed the chance to get King and Gerads to sign it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm in a panel with Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis and it's pretty great. They had no idea what was going to happen with Max Lord our Identity Crisis while writing I Can't Believe its Not Justice League. Also DeMatteis apparently had no clue who any of the JLI characters were.

Do you mean when he started writing them, or at the panel?

Is this at GalaxyCon? I've met Giffen before, and I'm psyched to be meeting DeMatteis at HeroesCon in two weeks. (Giffen and Maguire will both be there too.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 1, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

DC Editorial is all foot fetishists now, no wonder Rob Liefeld couldn't get hired.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm the biggest Ted Kord fanboy there is, and even I think he went out like a drat boss in Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Unlike so many comic book deaths, his death mattered. It had weight, it affected other characters and the larger narrative, and it reminded (or taught) readers AND other characters why he was cool.

But I always hated that Justice League: Generation Lost was so good, and set up a new, ongoing JLI series that could have been great, only to be completely derailed and undone by the New 52. And I never saw a point to DC jettisoning so many decades of continuity for a '90s-style relaunch, except for the few books that didn't have to adhere to the relaunch rules. (I always wondered how much of the New 52 was DiDio, how much was Harras, and how much was Lee.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did that Terrifics issue with Ted Kord Blue Beetle on the cover ever come out, or is that one of the digital-only casualties?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What issue number is that?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Number five.

Thank you! I just read a review with more info, but beware, even the URL contains the massive spoiler, so don't mouse over it if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://screenrant.com/blue-beetle-secret-villain-dc-comics/

Interesting, because that character is on the cover of another comic coming out tomorrow, Terrifics #27, in a significant-looking guest appearance.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This makes the entire beginning of Infinite Crisis pointless lmao

How is he even alive after that? I know he showed up later in Forever Evil in the New 52, and then again in Rebirth, but have they ever reconciled or explained that?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

The solution to this in modern stories is just ensure whatever scheme Riddler or Ivy has hatched involves body counts in the 4-6 figures, so you can agree with the message but not the "murder and skin a prime number of corporate lawyers and use them to build a murder maze" or whatever.

What was the last Riddler story where he wasn't just Joker + Trivia/Brainteasers?

For me, it was "Hush." And I liked him a lot in that, reinvented as a pricey private detective consultant for police departments faced with unsolvable cases.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 16, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I think the Riddler would work with kind of a Situationist/Guy Debord angle where it's less about specific goofy wordplay riddles and more about treating Gotham City or the world as a labyrinth or a conundrum to be untangled in kind of a "psychogeography of crime" way.

I think he should be broadly understandable and sometimes even sympathetic as someone who's essentially an aesthete who wants to turn the world around in his hands to appreciate it better, but villainous because he doesn't care if people get hurt-- someone who's less about proving his superiority by posing riddles (because then you run up against the problem that most Batman writers are not capable, it seems, of writing very difficult or interesting riddles) and more about solving riddles, in ways that necessitate Batman coming in and stopping him.

This would tie back into his detective days, which I liked a lot, but bring him also to that level of mixed grandiosity and ludicrous scale that defines the best Batman bad-guys-- he wants to solve the strange case of the world, but in a completely amoral and detached way, which would set him up as a nice counterpoint to both Batman (the more compassionate "detective") and I guess the Joker (who wants to obfuscate or distort things instead of bringing that violently into clarity).

I always love your takes on things, and that is one of my favorites. I'd totally buy that Riddler comic, because it makes him a somewhat sympathetic and fascinating antihero. But it would take a really smart person to write it in a worthy manner, ideally someone from outside of comics. Like maybe YOU?

It reminds me a bit of Rick Veitch and Tommy Lee Edwards' excellent and nearly-forgotten Question miniseries from the mid-2000s, that reinvented him as an "urban shaman" who could sense mysteries and secrets in cities, sort of like Jack Hawksmoor from The Authority, but as a weird detective with a creepy crush on Lois Lane.

On that note, aside from that one Denny O'Neil issue, it's amazing the Question and the Riddler haven't been made official arches, like Batman and the Joker, or Superman and Lex.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This book was so excellent. The fact that the Metropolis drug dealers are doing their business in bathrooms because they assume Superman won't look in there is brilliant.

I don't think it has ever been collected in a TPB, which is a drat shame. I love all the different versions of the Question, and somehow I love that they all fit him so well: Ditko's Objectivist vigilante/muckraking journalist, O'Neil's soul-searching Zen master, the JLU cartoon's creepy conspiracy theorist, and Veitch's urban shaman. When I read that the New 52 reinvented the Question yet again as some embodiment of evil alongside the Phantom Stranger and Zealot Pandora, I was really disappointed they couldn't make any of those other cool personas work for him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thats a hell of a bargain! Those TPBs are probably long since out of print, and they never collected the Quarterly issues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

My Ostrander Spectre two trade run is very lonely without the rest of it's run
I've always wanted to read Ostrander's Spectre run, but DC has made it virtually impossible.

Thranguy posted:

They made two different runs at collecting Sandman Mystery Theater, falling short both times, so the last year and a half has never been collected.
I collected the entire series in singles about 20 years ago and had them bound into three custom hardcover volumes about ten years ago, since I didn't think DC would ever collect it properly.

Madkal posted:

I have gotham central from two different collection runs and there are weird overlaps.
I used to have the first two original volumes, and as soon as I learned they would be reprinting the series in four nicer, larger volumes, I sold or traded those first two (maybe at a local used bookstore) and picked up the four nicer, newer ones as they came out. It's a great series, and I'm grateful I own it in a format that matches.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

OMG. They brought him back.

Too bad DC doesn't have editors to have caught that "chauffeur" misspelling.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tavarin posted:

I'm very sad Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen is over because it was amazing from start to finish.

I'm so excited to finally read the whole series when the TPB comes out this fall. I loved Hawkeye and Sex Criminals so much, I promise to always give Fraction's lighter, irreverent works a chance.

Have you read Rucka's Lois Lane series? How is that? It sounds like it could be my poo poo, along with Bendis' Event Leviathan. I always like street-level heroes and noir/espionage/mystery/conspiracy stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

The summer special was really really good. The Booster Gold and Blue Beetle chapter was probably the highlight.

I didn't know this was a thing! If there's a good Blue and Gold story, I feel obligated to buy it. What's it about, and how long is it?

On that note, how was Blue Beetle's appearance in Terrifics #27 (the last issue to be published in print)? I haven't read the book at all, but does Ted do anything significant in the issue to make it worth buying as a fan of his?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

There are a few books that I am very eagerly trade waiting for (and hopefully the trades comes out soon) but I just feel in general there aren't any books out of any company right now that I am hyped for.

That's kind of where I am. Really looking forward to Fraction and Lieber's Jimmy Olsen TPB (still scheduled for October), and I'd like to read Bendis and Maleev's Event Leviathan, Rucka's Lois Lane, and King and Gerads' Strange Adventures as well.

EDIT: I forgot about The Question and Far Sector! Interested in both of those too.

Beyond that, I'm mostly just waiting for the last Sex Criminals TPB and the long-awaited TPB of Cobra: The Last Laugh from IDW (delayed from August to December due to COVID, and I'm hoping it doesn't get canceled due to the shakeups at IDW). Not much else is really exciting me about comics right now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 15, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

yall i been reading the classic suicide squad run by john ostrander and company and

its loving soooooo good

I reread the whole run this summer, leading up to the new movie. It was so ahead of its time, and it has aged so well! I always think of Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Giffen and DeMatteis' JLI together because they both debuted in the Legends miniseries, had their #1 issues come out at the same time, crossed over in their #13 issues, and spotlighted lesser-known characters to make them fan favorites for decades to come. Plus, they both featured more naturalistic dialogue, which is the biggest reason I think they were ahead of their time and have aged well, compared to the more "old-fashioned," overwrought, melodramatic, exposition-heavy dialogue in a book like Crisis on Infinite Earths, just a year before, which is a much harder read by modern standards.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just got a great deal on the vast majority of Vigilante back issues on eBay. The one and only TPB collects #1-11, and I hopefully have #14-50 on the way. I hate having a bunch of singles taking up space these days, but I really want to read this series at last. Of course, this means DC will probably announce some more collected editions.

I'm about halfway through the riveting documentary For Madmen Only on Hulu, about legendary improv comedy guru Del Close and his work with John Ostrander on the Wasteland comic, and I'm shocked DC has never released a collection, even under the Vertigo banner, where it would have fit the best.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think I am missing about 5 issues of Vigilante, they rarely came into the shop. Maybe he'll be the breakout star on Peacemaker and we'll get an omni.

How Wonderful! posted:

The world's not ready. I knew about the ending of that run in advance but I was still jaw-fully-dropped agape at it when I finally read it. The entire Alan Welles arc also goes way harder than required. Kupperberg's Checkmate is also quite good but doesn't quite nail the same sense of prolonged, feverish intensity.

Peacemaker is what inspired me to finally bite the bullet and binge-read the series. I'm hoping to be able to get another law review article out of it, about how the comic might have affected readers' perceptions of lawyers, judges, and the legal system in the mid-'80s and how those stories might read differently today.

I will also have to go back and watch and analyze Arrow season 5.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
These just arrived from an eBay seller who did a beautiful job packing them. I already had the TPB with #1-11, and this is #14-50. Now I just need to find #12, 13, and the two Annuals to have the complete set, and then I can finally read the entire series for the first time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I might have the ones you're missing. I will check tomorrow.

Thank you for looking, but please don't break up a complete run on my account!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

These just arrived from an eBay seller who did a beautiful job packing them. I already had the TPB with #1-11, and this is #14-50. Now I just need to find #12, 13, and the two Annuals to have the complete set, and then I can finally read the entire series for the first time.

I have the last four issues I'm missing hopefully arriving on Monday, and today I was overjoyed to find this guy at a local comic shop for only $20. He was missing the original rifle, but at least he had his revolver in the holster, and I equipped him with Classified Zartan's sniper rifle.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So Peacemaker has been popping up in a bunch of books and is getting some one shots in the near future. This is obviously because he was the breakout character from TSS (he got his own show).
And in the show, Vigilante I clearly becoming the fan favorite character. So I wonder how long it will take DC to resurrect Adrian Chase, a character that has been dead since 1987.
Yeah they used the names on Arrow, but they changed everything to the point that Adrian Chase wasn't a real person and Vigilante was a separate person. Next to nobody cared about that incarnation, the Peacemaker version is already blowing up in popularity.

Madkal posted:

I just hope it means DC releases the rest of the Vigilante series in trade form.

I tracked down all the back issues in record time, and now I'm hunting for the seven issues of New Teen Titans vol. 1 with Adrian Chase's pre-Vigilante appearances, so this means they will probably publish some new collected editions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did anyone read Far Sector, by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell? I'm about halfway through the trade paperback, and every page blows me away. It reminds me more of Saga than any Green Lantern comic ever -- this complicated, beautiful, weird setting that feels fully fleshed-out and lived-in, with the human GL, Jo Mullein, as a perfect audience POV character. The art is stunningly gorgeous. I don't know if I've ever seen its equal. I've never read any of Jemisin's novels or seen Campbell's art before, but this science fiction/political drama/murder mystery is fabulous so far.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 20, 2022

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Space Fish posted:

My friend circle is discovering Far Sector one person at a time, slowly. They all love N.K. Jemisin's novels and Jamal Campbell's art elsewhere. Maybe my raving to them about it was a red flag? Too many people have been sleeping on a knockout that does a lot of things people want from the GL premise*, but they're waking up.

*"actually a science fiction story," not a bunch of house style barrel-chested men making laser beams and bubbles, unique alien setting with genuine worldbuilding and details beyond "fight this person to avenge that one"

I missed those posts because I've been waiting for my library to get the TPB this entire time. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Green Lanterns in general, especially Geoff Johns' rainbow Lanterns (smashing the action figures together) and everyone's insistence that Hal Jordan is the greatest guy ever. So this was a breath of fresh air for me, on every level.

I think I'm going to cross-post in the Comic Recommendations thread!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I haven't given a poo poo about anything Green Lantern since Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio started forcing perfect, flawless Hal Jordan on everyone back around 2004, but I LOVED Far Sector. The art is stunningly beautiful on every single page, and it's the first Green Lantern story that feels like actual science fiction, with interesting worldbuilding ideas, and not just superhero cops punching things in space. Plus, Jo Mullein is a great new character with the most "toyetic" design, and I now dream of an adaptation where Janelle Monae plays her.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I already posted this in the Comic Recommendations thread a little earlier:

I just finished the first Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo Nightwing TPB, and it was outstanding. I like Dick Grayson as a character, but never followed the solo Nightwing book before. (I liked the era when he was acting as Batman, in Snyder's Black Mirror and then working as a mentor and big brother for Damian as Robin.)

But I recommend this book so highly to anyone who likes great, street-level superheroics. Not being overly familiar with any other Nightwing runs, it reminded me strongly of some of the better Daredevil comics I've read (specifically Mark Waid's mostly upbeat run) and the acclaimed Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye series. Redondo is a master of his craft -- great layouts, dynamic action sequences, and brilliant, memorable covers with a terrific sense of design. His artwork reminded me a lot of Aja's, without looking like it on a surface level. Taylor writes Dick with so much empathy, heart, and humor. He might have been Bruce Wayne's oldest protege and son, but he didn't pick up any of Bruce's worst traits along the way.

I also cried while reading it... TWICE! Just teared up from sweet, happy, heartfelt moments. That is pretty rare when a comic hits me that way. I read the TPB through my public library's Hoopla e-book service, but I liked it enough to possibly buy a hard copy for myself, along with the following volumes as they come out. This and Far Sector are the best DC books I've read in a LONG TIME (but I have been trade-waiting on Human Target and Blue and Gold).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It might also be worth picking up his Suicide Squad run which is I think collected in two, maybe three trades and pretty self-contained.

Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad run was excellent. It ran for only eleven issues and was collected in one volume. I'm a big Suicide Squad fan, and I'd say it's the second-best ever run after John Ostrander's original.

I've become a huge Taylor fan, starting with Nightwing (two TPBs so far), then Suicide Squad (one TPB), then Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (two TPBs), and then I just binge-read ALL of Injustice and Injustice 2 over the past few weeks. I was expecting some real edgelord stuff, like Mark Millar at his most nihilistic and unrestrained, but it had a lot of terrific character interactions, touching scenes, and surprising amounts of humor. The man can WRITE, and he has a really humanistic side. He likes redemption arcs, father figures, and good people trying their best.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not DC, but if you like Taylor, you should also check out All-New Wolverine by him.

Thank you! I didn't know he wrote that, but I just found them on Hoopla, where they have all the other Taylor books I've mentioned. He wrote Superior Iron Man as well -- two TPBs featuring a "heel turn" Tony Stark in San Francisco, messing with Daredevil.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The only modernized Superman costume I have ever liked was Mikel Janin's design in Superman and the Authority. No cape, short sleeves, a bit of gray, and black instead of yellow behind the red "S," but it worked really well. It had almost a retro-pulp-sci-fi-adventure feel, while also looking very modern and stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
He's written some good stuff. Personally, I loved his 12-issue run of Booster Gold and his JSA and Wally West Flash runs. I've read plenty from him I haven't liked as much (his Green Lantern epic really felt like a kid smashing his action figures together), and I hate how he tried to make Hal Jordan and Barry Allen into the best guys ever, despite their multiple flaws (and sidelining Wally and all the more interesting Lanterns in the process). But I know DeDio was complicit in that too.