Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Haha oh wow... This adaptation.

People think I'm an rapist. But I want to stay at this inn with this little scared looking girl I bought.
But she's having awful night terrors. How should I approach this situation?

I GOT IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

So is this good to laugh at or is it just irredeemable?

It's really not. It's boring generic Isekai poo poo you've seen a million times before, only with unlikable characters.
It's not even that offensive except for a few moments (though those moments can really impact how you view the series as a whole)
Good production values and an amazing soundtrack are all it has going for it.

It's not a glorious trainwreck that's fun to watch with friends or something.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know about the print versions, but my boyfriend and I picked this as our cringe of the season and we dropped it after the first episode because it was so dull.

This, I cannot express enough how freaking bland and boring this poo poo is.
It's not so much the awful adventures of Mister Misogyny. For the most part, it's just a by the numbers boring Isekai show with a guy who does some adventuring using his shield that conveniently gets new abilities, perfectly suitable for the current scenario. The only change of pace is the occasional really jarring tonal shift into "What the hell were they thinking!?" territory. And that's not exactly good either.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Onmi posted:

Let's be real though, Sign thrives on its soundtrack.

This is a fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWX5bjl1Ic

Zerilan posted:

only good isekai is now and then here and there anyway.

KONOSUBA

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

SerCypher posted:

"Women with free will don't like me, but if they were forced to obey me they'd realize they really like me and I'm great." At some point in the past 5 years a bunch of LN authors must have discovered the Gor series of fantasy novels or something.

Devil's advocate here. That's not really the reason for getting a slave or his views on women in general.
He had a rough initial introduction and got hosed over by an evil bitch. This caused a severe lack in trust in people in general, not just women.
Slaves being unable to lie and betray him, is something he can deal with in order to prepare himself for the upcoming fights.

Shield Hero is supposed to be a damaged hero. And you can tell an interesting story about that.
It's a shame the author hosed up literally every single opportunity to do so.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Onmi posted:

Better question since he's "Not allowed to use non-shield weapons." Okay you want to make the idea that he's an Employer and his slaves are his Employees, why didn't you make his first slave a man? Then even if you eventually want him to buy a female slave, that could be a sympathetic "I brought her to release her." or to give her a 'job' like Secretary or something that doesn't involve fighting.

What I'm saying is you can twist it anyway you want, but he brought a female slave for the sexual thrill of owning a female slave. Just like said slave ages herself to consenting adult (physical) age for sexual reasons.

But with the mind of a child still! :barf:

I wonder what a talented writer would do with the concept. I imagine someone like World Trigger´s Ashihara could knock this out of the park. Using the specific shields to alter the battlefield to his advantage. Using the rope shield to set up traps etc.
Then get rid of the underage slave girl and replace her with another male, or at least someone who also has a disadvantage. Maybe a guy who can use a single powerful spell, but actually HAS to rely on the shield hero, like he has a long startup time, so it places extra importance of shield hero setting up the battlefield.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Like garzey's wing!:shuckyes:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Because about 90% of all Isekai shows are trash tier writing.
They can handwave a lot away by just explaining "It's like a video game!"

I don't have to give a good reason why shield hero can't do any damage on his own. His attack stat is at 0.

This is why the best Isekai shows are the ones where the characters are aware of this and use clever ways of working within this set of rules.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

That is not the message at all.
We KNOW he was falsely accused. There is no doubt in this case. It also doesn't state that this is the case for everyone who has been accused.

Shield Hero has a lot of problems, but that is not one of the messages it preaches.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not saying it's not a issue. It most certainly is.
But poo poo happening in real life doesn't mean you cannot tell a story where the protagonist is actually innocent of the crime. (Even if said story is poo poo)
It would be a whole different ball game if we the audience didn't know if Shield Hero was innocent or not. Or if there was an underlying story where all the women in this series accuse men of rape.
But this is a pretty clear cut case. And a single instance of it happening.

All I'm saying is that this is a poo poo series and there is no shortage of flaws to make fun of. So we don't have to add on top of that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I honestly think that any underlying message or themes people can take away from this story are there purely by coincidence.
Because if that wasn't the case, it would amount to something, there'd be a point. But this is Shield Hero! A series where the creepy slave trader is part of the supporting cast groupshot in the intro.
Clearly little to no thought has been put into this sludge of a series. And I highly doubt the authors capability to write a story with an underlying message.
He wanted his edgy introduction didn't think this poo poo through and now we ended up with a series that's only famous due to worth of mouth from people slapping their own theories etc on it.

And frankly... I get it. I get why the main discussion regarding this series are about a minor part of the first episode because gently caress me... This series gives us very little to talk about otherwise.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Even if you don't watch anything else. At least watch the latest episode. It's a glorious trainwreck showing everything wrong with this series.

1. Shield Hero is at the celebration party but acts like a little kid and does nothing to help fix his image.
2. Shield Hero gets dragged into a 1 on 1 match vs Spear Hero. Who is egged on by the princess who for some reason isn't done loving with Shield Hero and now wants to take his slave partner away.
3. Slave Girl gets captured and hold against her will, she was showing agency of her own, so clearly she is under some kind of control spell.
4. Princess interferes with the match and starts laughing, yet nobody bats an eye.
5. Spear Hero points out that forcing slaves to fight is wrong. This is portrayed as a bad thing.
6. Slave Girl points out that he only used the painful force ability whenever she was too afraid to fight. RED FLAG! RED FLAG!
7. Slave Girl gets her slave seal removed and lashes out at Spear guy, telling him that if he's truly a good guy like Shield Hero, he would have also had a slave by his side. Wait what?
8. Princess starts acting like a huge racist rear end in a top hat, but no-one seems to care, not even these Isekai heroes who previously stated that they should be better than the people of the world they got send to.
9. Slave Girl tries to talk Shield Hero, is genuinely nice to him. But he lashes out anyways. Bitching about no matter how hard he tried, nobody likes him. So she gives him a motherly embrace by putting his head in her tits.
10. This causes Shield Hero to no longer see her as a young kid, but as a more grown up person (who still has the mind of a child, I'm not letting that one go)
11. The other 2 Isekai heroes show up and point out the obvious cheating that happened during the match. The king and princess who thus far have been able to force everyone in going along with their plans, don't bother doing so now and instead just walk away.
12. People still hate Shield Hero
13. But he now likes the taste of food.

Oh and all the while, this beautiful soothing music plays, telling the braindead fans of this show to feel emotional about the things that are happening.

And next episode he gets a chicken loli! And after restoring Slave girls slave seal, he also forces one on the chicken loli!

Like I said before, Shield Hero is a boring sludge of a series, but every now and then it spikes heavily into the what the hell were they thinking territory.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I do find it hilarious that due to Shield Hero, SA is now capable of holding a civilized discussion about Goblin Slayer.
So I guess it's been good for something.

The amount of people simply not seeing the issue with this show, especially after the last episode is worrying though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I doubt it'll have much of an impact.
For better or worse, Shield Hero is a pretty big title and judging by the responses on Twitter etc. The majority of people have no issue with it. And I can totally see this becoming the next Sword Art Online or something.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It sure looks and sounds nice.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Shield Hero is easily marketable.
Outcast hero says gently caress you society and goes on adventures with a bunch of cute girls.
For a lot of people that's enough.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Srice posted:

I think that if someone were to do a critique that was nice and smart and funny instead of, for lack of a better term, a mock thread style takedown that's more about performative reactions instead of saying anything meaningful, then they probably wouldn't get put on blast for it. And if it were to happen then I'd bully the person(s) responsible...even if I had to take on namtab.

Pick your fights carefully.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Namtab posted:

1) Nobody here has produced any critical analysis, just criticism.
2) Nobody here is watching the show with that intent either.
3) There is no real pushback against this in the west, crunchyroll are already likely to view this as a success if they're getting good numbers out of this.
4) I'm not even gonna touch the point comparing watching bad media to something like research on historical atrocities except to suggest that a sense of perspective is required.

The only effective countermeasure against something like this isn't a debate, it's a boycott

Also goons are completely unable to have a debate or discussion about anything that's controversial.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I think the idea behind colonialism and how you can apply that to an Isekai series has potential. It wouldn't be a series for me, but you can definitely tell some interesting stories there.
But if you want to look at Slime using that angle, you're just going to frustrate yourself because as far as I can tell, the author has nothing to say on that subject and there are no points being made. In universe there are no downsides to the changes introduced by the protagonist, there are no people who are against it. It's a perfect fantasy. Naturally that poo poo doesn't fly in the real world and "It's better for them" is an excuse that's often used in order to justify colonization. But that is not the story Slime is telling.

It's a lighthearted story about a good slime, tsundere dragons and a group of monsters coming together and form a society. Slime has nothing to say on the subject of colonialism.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

We can learn a lot about things by taking a step back or looking at it through a different lens. No, scratch that. We SHOULD learn a lot of things by taking a step back and looking at it through a different lens. Every piece of media can benefit from doing so. But if you want to do so. You gotta put some effort into it. Explain the why, what it means, what was the authors intent, can it be improved etc etc.

But you can't just walk into a conversation drop the line "Slime Isekai is colonial savior-y" And then. Leave it at that. That's not being critical, that's not an analysis.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

what is the colonialist reading of re:zero

It's better about it than Overlord but worse than Digimon.
Consider it somewhere between no Game No Life and Grimgar.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think Shield Hero is going to be the go to show for those kind of people though. Shield Hero breaking down, curling up and crying ruined the show for some people I know.
There's worse trash out there they can rally under.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Horses aint got poo poo!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Thats a comic.

There's an anime in the works.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://my.mixtape.moe/bbxzss.webm

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Why DID he put a slave crest on the chicken?

I do agree that it's unfair how some people here use moments/pages from the light/web novel and manga to prove how bad this anime is. For example, the anime omits Shield Hero's internal monologue when he buys his first slave. Also I very much doubt the anime has the same faith in store for the evil princess. For all the problems it has. The anime does in fact sand off some of the sharper edges.

BUT!

That's just taking the kernels out the turd really. There are still many underlying tones and messages that are just loving awful. You really don't have to rely on web/light novel material to show how awful Shield Hero is. The anime is perfectly capable of making GBS threads the bed on it's own merits Like slave girl asking why Spear Hero doesn't own a slave if he's such a good guy. Or the evil slave trader who keeps children in cages, becoming a supporting story character. Or having the child of a mind in the body of an adult so we feel less guilty about oogling her in the hot springs?

Shield Hero is trash, and that is coming from someone who actually leans more towards the right on a lot of things. So I don't buy the idea that disliking Shield Hero is reserved for leftist circlejerk zones.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

My raccoon and chicken want to jump my bones. How do I deal with that?

Also, hey Raccoon, they got rid of your slave seal, where do you want your new one? ON MA TITS!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Too late, by the powers the mod has invested in me i pronounce mulderman and akumos married for all time.

Hell yes, does the wedding come with a slave seal? Asking for a friend.
So stocked about finally not being single anymore.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Also no flowers of gifts please. I rather have money.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

What a load of crock >.>

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I would force a slave crest on each and every one of you pineapple pizza eating monsters.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

how the hell did this thread keep on getting worse after that

Don't insult my wedding like that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

This is the Shield Hero Quarantine Zone. Not Mulder's Political Opinions Zone. So let's keep it that way.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

The slave seal bullshit makes no sense and the excuse that Slave girl willingly gets it back in order to protect her from other slavers is idiotic. Because there is NOTHING preventing people from kidnapping her and removing the slave seal like they did before. Why would having it prevent her from being kidnapped again? People hate the Shield hero, so slave seal or not, if they wanted to mess with him they would do so regardless.

It's faulty thinking almost as if it's a child's reasoning. And guess what!? Slave girl still has the mind of a child. Wise beyond her years? Don't make me loving laugh.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

And if that is not enough, there's this little gemstone from the slave traders wiki page:

Relationship
Naofumi: They have a more business like relation and was thrilled to work with Naofumi. He was willing to aid Naofumi for his own reasons. Upon Naofumi’s request, he searches for and collects slaves who were former villagers of Raphtalia’s village. He admires Naofumi's business mind

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

More Wiki fun:
While Naofumi considers the Slave Merchant to be a useful person due to his role in providing him with various slaves for his growing army, he does not indicate any real trust for the man. The merchant has noted that Naofumi has good business sense, and is not an easy man to deceive, and refers to Naofumi as his favorite customer. Naofumi on the other hand creeps out on the slave merchant.

He never mistreated or exploited any of the slaves under him and has disciplined them only when they refuse to do as ordered. This same treatment extends to literally all of the slaves he comes to own, with them even coming to treat him like a parent figure in return. He also spoils and rewards them when they give it their all and perform well like giving a ball to Raphtalia and cooking for all his slaves even in the middle of the night.

---------------------------

I mean I don't know how to make it much more clear than this. Shield Hero is a scumbag. There might have been a point where he had to rely on a slave. But that has long since past. After he had entire villages believing and rooting for him.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

At the very least, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.
"I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero"
paints a very clear picture of what to expect. Unlike
"Rising of the Shield Hero"

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Elfgames posted:

i mean the first title still leaves out "and then i found some girl in a dungeon and made her my sex slave for some reason."

Yes but the title alone combined with the cover art should really tell you all you need to know about the contents of a story like that. Like look at what you're holding, are you really surprised there's even more smut hidden among those pages?

Now compare that to this. You could pick this up based on the cover and title alone thinking. This'll be a fun adventure with grumpy shield guy and raccoon girl. And then we'll... get Shield Hero.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Namtab posted:

The only reason to watch this is to find out what right wing issues mulderman agrees with

I'll cut you a deal. We can have a 2 page (no more) discussion about said issues. But ONLY after Shield Hero manages to become good.

Ok.. Good might be setting the bar too high. Decent. We'll have a 2 page discussion when Shield Hero becomes decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

Nobody is asking for a two-page discussion. We just want to know what you meant by "conservative" so we can figure out whether your politics are appalling or merely disagreeable.

tl;dr what issues

I think we should bring back my original quote here for some context.

Mulderman posted:

Shield Hero is trash, and that is coming from someone who actually leans more towards the right on a lot of things. So I don't buy the idea that disliking Shield Hero is reserved for leftist circlejerk zones.

Which I only brought up to disprove the notion of that one guy who claimed hating on Shield Hero is something that is reserved for "Leftist circlejerk zones"
My political views are boring as poo poo and I have no intention of discussing them in the Shield Hero Quarantine Zone. I'm willing to poke fun at it, and people are free to paint whatever picture they want of me in their mind.