Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I want to like 2205 more than I do. I just get so frustrated with having to regularly drastically rearrange my cities on the fly to build whatever giant doohickey my new tier of citizens want for entertainment or whatever, and I hate that you spend so much time in the temperate zone. It's pretty but boring. I'd hoped I'd spend a lot more time in the arctic, tundra, and moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like 2205 plenty.

In fact, watching PartyElite's Anno 1800 videos makes me unhappy that they seem to have walked back how intuitive 2205's UI was. I loved how in 2205 each building told you straight up how many units of whatever contributing resources it consumed and how many it produced. It was easy to see, and that panel that told you straightforwardly how much of each resource you were/were not producing was a godsend.

It looks like 1800 is going back to having to stockpile goods in warehouses and markets and they can be put in ships and whatnot, and doesn't give you that immediate at a glance info about buildings and resources.

That magnificently user-friendly UI is the whole reason I bought 2205 but have skipped previous games in the series, I like building pretty cities and don't like excessively micromanaging and spreadsheeting resources and production and optimizing travel times for trucks or whatever.

I guess a lot of folks will appreciate all that coming back, but it's doing a lot to turn me off from the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fans posted:

Party Elite was straight up saying what each building produces before placing it so I think it is still there. Hopefully anyway!

It looks like how the game expresses that, though, is in time units: how long the structure takes to make a round of output.

Take what I saw of the bread chain for example. Wheat farms have a cycle time of one minute. The flour mill has a cycle time of thirty seconds. So if you think about that for a second, you realize it takes two wheat farms to make a flour mill operate at maximum efficiency.

Then the bakery also has a cycle time of thirty seconds. So a single flour mill supplies a single bakery.

But for some reason it's expressed in terms of cycle times, not "wheat farm produces 1 wheat, flour mill consumes 2 wheat to make 1 flour, bakery consumes 1 flour to produce 1 bread."

I can see the planning advantages, but it's not immediately obvious like 2205.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Except this time the game is already designed agianst not needing anything from the extra region so I'm curious to see how they tie things in.

Probably something like the Tundra from 2205. Nothing you need, but if you're willing to sink in the resources, you get a new module or other feature to add to your settlements that's very powerful. The Tundra module also came with a hell of a drawback, but it was worth every penny if you were prepared for the costs involved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

Yeah, it feels a lot like they recoiled from having it in 2205.
But it's so strange.
Having better oversight of production, and a general view of production vs consumption is incredibly useful.
But they threw that out with the bathwater when they redesigned things for this game.

It's probably my largest peeve of the non 2205 Annos.
Important info like consumption just seems intentionally obscured to make the game harder.
People in the thread having no idea how many people are going to be satisfied by a new type of building is an excellent example.

C'mon game, just tell me that the Engineers on this island are using 1.4 tons/min of spectacles, or something.

Yes, the Statistics building will probably fix it, at the expense of having 1 of them per island, with them chugging down maintenance.
But even then you'll have to drop into another layer of UI just to get info you should be able to get from mousing over a resource.

Tbh, the absence of this screen is the number one thing holding me back from buying 1800. I am not good at mental spreadsheets, and I spent more time with that little screen in 2205 than any other UI element.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peachy Poo posted:

Lmao christ, that sounds awful too. Thanks for the help, I would've hated to discover these things for myself deep into a playthrough. Hearing it described as the chillest with those turned off excites me though, I basically come to these games to just do some zen citybuilding stuff. I think I'll wind up having a pretty good time with it now.

Those events and invasions only come if you buy the Frontiers DLC, though. Skip that like I did, and you never have to worry about them.

My biggest complaint about 2205 is simply that you spend far and away the most time in the temperate zone, which I found the most boring to look at and play in. The arctic and the Moon really just exist to support the temperate zone which is where all your money comes from.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
2205 also had far and away the best resource management UI of the series. You can, in one screen, see the exact consumption/demand of every resource and your net surplus or shortfall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

and the thing it was criticized the most for since it took virtually all the planning and challenge out of the game.

2205 is the only entry in the series I've played specifically because of this. Figuring out how to cram all these buildings into my available space to make my dumb fucks happy while also walking the tightrope of power generation with regards to limited space and coastal slots is plenty of challenge for me, I really, really don't want to add unpredictable logistics I have to further think about to that already volatile mix I have trouble keeping up with already.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ROFLburger posted:

how the gently caress does 1800 not have this screen

I think some people consider fighting with the UI to be gameplay and/or difficulty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

gently caress it, still worth it for the excuse to build on the moon!

The moon, a place you want to spend as little time and energy on as possible.

That was one of my biggest frustrations with Anno 2205 despite wanting to like it so much. The exotic environments of the arctic, moon, tundra, and orbit are places you want to spend as little time in as you can get away with because they're all net drains on your economy and exist solely to support the boring-rear end temperate zone. The moon especially, everything up there is so freakishly expensive and going up the moment you unlock it is a huge mistake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Oh yeah that frustrated the hell out of me too. I was pissed as could be that there was no third tier of moon workers, like a "settler" tier that would actually start building into cities. No it's just a giant work camp that you go every now and then to build another reactor on and then build some houses to man it.

That and the visual design of a lot of stuff on the moon. Even the advanced moon houses looked like some sort of loving camp city in space. You have little houses that are barely big enough for a guy to get out of his suit and maybe have a cot in. Seems incredibly inefficient.

Don't get me wrong, Anno 2205 did some great things for the series mechanics wise. I actually like having to have workforce for the buildings because it always felt kinda silly in 1404 or 2070 when you have islands full of factories with no one running them. It's just there are more than a few design decisions that I disagree with.

At least they loving realized that we want lots of pretty ornaments back instead of boring, brutalist cities full of the same 3 skyscrapers.

Alas. It's the only game in the series I've played, because it's one of the only two games in the series whose premise and environments made me want to play it, and 2070 doesn't have that absolute godsend of a resource panel that I spend 90% of my time in 2205 with out. I don't play games to keep spreadsheets, and that panel was the number one thing making the game playable for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I feel 1800 is a good middle ground though. You don't have the super abstract logistics that 2205 had, but you have clear, easy to read "is poo poo rising or falling" in your warehouses mixed with each building outright stating how fast its producing product. It can get a bit wonky at times but you don't have to look up basic ratios when you see "Okay this resource refining building takes one item every 30 seconds, but the farm producing the item takes 1 minute to make it...so I need two farms per factory."

Good to know, I guess, but 1800's biggest obstacle for me is the 1800 part. I don't like this era of history and have no desire to play a game set in it. 2070 and 2205 attracted me because of their settings, the historical parts of the series don't interest me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eiba posted:

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite. Anno's been dead to me since 1404 and I was incredibly excited that we're back to cute little historical cottages and dirt roads, rather than weird sleek ugly glass things.

Just a personal preference, but it's interesting to see someone with an entirely opposite view.

I love the sleek glass things and high-tech industries. I think it's my educational background and continuing interest in history that's made me so averse to historical games: my main reaction to gameplay videos and shots of the historical Anno games (and, for that matter, most historical games in general) is "I am playing a terrible person overseeing a terrible society that's doing horrible things to the world for mostly short-sighted goals."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
2205 is the only game in the series I've ever gotten into, mainly because of the UI. That window to view the rate of consumption/production of all your resources at a glance is priceless.

I just wish there was more to do in the arctic and the moon. The temperate zone's where you spend most of your time and make all your money, but it's so boring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jack Trades posted:

Anno 1800 is fun and good but I really hope the next game will be a sci-fi themed one again.

I hope they go all-out with a sci fi one, do it wholly underwater or on the moon or on Mars or something.

One of my biggest frustrations with 2205 was that the game wanted you to spend most of your time and effort in the temperate zone when that was by far the most boring part of the game to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My apologies to your browsers, but I started a new game of Anno 2205 last week and the game is really loving pretty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Someone made the mistake of applying real-world math to Anno 1800.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally got around to trying the free DLC sector in Anno 2205.

Rest in peace, Trenchcoat.

(also you want loving superalloys for tier 1 of the sector project?)

And a couple of other random shots because game pretty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zedd posted:

While I was never very good at these games, this is a very complicated game to keep all the plates going, esp when transferring to a new tier.
Maybe you should play some 1404 or 2070, those have less plate spinning and look downright easy compared to 1800. Like Just try to build all 3 monuments in 2070 on a single island or something; to get you very familiar with the core systems.

And now just be content all over again this is my 2070 city I liked most:

It's one reason I keep coming back to 2205. It's simplified, more transparent and user-friendly than usual in the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

I quite like 2205 in it's simpler, more streamlined form. But when you start listing them off it's insane how many features were sacrificed going from 2070 to 2205, purely to achieve the multi-sector gameplay.
Features they needed another title to mostly re-implement, and I hope things like scenarios will become a thing again next title.
I still very much appreciated item transport in-sector and between sectors being abstracted and streamlined to be a very good thing, though.
And I do like the concept of sector projects, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar pop up again, though more in the style of monuments as opposed to 15-20 steps of busywork quests.

All that's fair, I suppose, but 2205 was my first entry into the series. 2070 felt like it had a lot more moving parts but wasn't necessarily more complex - just more obfuscated to the player and less obvious about how everything worked.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oxyclean posted:

2205 has something similar. (If not the same? I dont remember how it went, i just know I didnt need to use external resources.)

2205 has a window available from any screen that shows you your current overall production surplus or deficit (or balance) of every resource separated by region, then if you mouse over it it explains exactly how much you're producing and how much you're consuming.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally knocked out my last sector project in 2205 tonight, the moon hotel, over the course of a couple hours.

Wound up being pretty underwhelming, mostly sending the rover endlessly back and forth between the spaceport and the hotel (a distance of about half the map) and waiting fifteen minutes for timers to tick down or for a sufficient stockpile of random goods I was producing a half dozen surplus of to transfer in. Only thing that took any actual development in the sector was a population of 500 miners and even that's trivial.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In 2205, I finally finished all the base game and free DLC sector projects last night.

Wildwater Bay ended things on a whimper, it's not even pretty to look at - just recovering a trio of undersea warehouses from Anno 2070 and turning some of the lights back on on Trenchcoat's wrecked carrier.

As ridiculous as the DLC sector projects sound on the wiki, I think I get why now: they're meant to make you actually work for them rather than just setting up a transfer route and letting it hum for ten or fifteen minutes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Wildwater bay was way, way more important and better before they made it so modules just cost materials and cash. Used to be Wildwater bay was huge because irridium was needed for all of the generic modules (power accumulators, drone hives, loving FINANCE CALCULATORS :science: and the nearly worthless cargo containers). Likewise the regions that gave graphene/petrochemicals/magnetite were huge because you needed that for the +production modules. Which is why the modules were always better than making more basic buildings (they were always twice as efficient for power/workforce/upkeep than building a new base building): you had to work to get the resources to make them.

Then they later made it so modules just cost the resources of the zone to make and the game became way easier, probably around the time they took down the Asteroid Miner app I think.

Huh. I thought I wasn't using that stuff as much as I used to! Good to know there's an actual explanation!

I also looked that up on the wiki, and it was in part because there was so much bitching from the fanbase about those rare resources being so limited and the best way to get them being the crisis sectors that a lot of people didn't like (I actually quite enjoy them myself).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Having to do one because Space Cobra is using its Earth Armada to hack your finances? gently caress YOU! Why do you get infinite boats on EARTH and why can I not just drop a loving rock on your lunar base?

I initially assumed that all their ships were robots and the moon nazis were doing the Von Neumann thing. Until I sank a dreadnought and Cobra Commander vowed revenge for killing the ship's crew. :v:

But oh well. The last time I seriously played the game was before any of the DLC came out, and I've enjoyed it enough that I think I'll get the season pass the next time it goes on sale.

I don't get the itch to play Anno often, but every once in a while I'll spend hours on hours with this stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

but like all Annos there's this very optimistic undercurrent of how we'll make things better. (And how techs literally live on a perpetual supply of energy drinks.)

I was amused when I booted up Anno 2070 a few days ago and realized that it's not just fluff that the Eden Initiative won in 2070 where the Global Trust and SAAT collapsed - many of the Eco buildings are part of the building lineup in 2205. Organic food from rice farms is the basic foodstuff of your civilization. Health drinks are what your second tier of temperate citizens drink. Wind power is the basic power generator of the early game. And biopolymers are now the basic building blocks of construction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I mean, Global Trust literally represents the political and industrial machines that scorched Earth's ecosystem for their own profit in both the Annoverse and ours, and S.A.A.T. was responsible for first having their super AI run rogue and steal GT's nuclear arsenal, and THEN building a geothermal generator that runs off of fracking under-sea fault-lines for power that went so sour they're still cleaning up the mess over a century later with some pretty wild future-tech. Seriously, imagine the litigation those events caused.

So yeah, of course the Eco's "won". One side is, despite it's power, on the way out if the world wants to survive. The other side sets the surrounding houses on fire and release a deadly plague at the same time when I ask them to design some new blades for my offshore wind turbines.

Yeah, the plot for 2205 explicitly says the Global Trust went bankrupt in the 2080s, and that SAAT went under between the FATHER thing and all the tsunamis their geothermal generators caused.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anno 2205 mood: Oh God I'm creating suburbs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That awkward moment when you realize that the way promoting residences work in Anno games and how you keep pushing the city out with new houses to replace the promoted ones is basically uncritical game-play mandated gentrification as a game mechanic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So apparently almost the entire Anno series is on 75% off sale on Steam today.

Gonna pick up 2205's DLC season pass for sure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up the season pass in the big sale last night and my main save, the Tlaloc Initiative, has rolled into the new sectors.

If you really, really love layout optimization puzzles, Orbit is the DLC for you. On the other hand, I've concluded that if you're not trying to wring every drop of expertise you can out of it, feel free to ignore your astronauts being unhappy. Key tech here, imo, is Animal Rights Policy: you can substitute rice for beef in luxury meals, letting you eliminate all those expensive, huge, awkwardly shaped cattle ranches and the soy farms that feed them. The cows moo no more within the Tlaloc Initiative, and the soybean blight has been eradicated.

Be warned, have a thriving arctic base before trying to develop the tundra. These people consume unholy amounts of fish and stimulants, which all have to be shipped in from the arctic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Ideally, have two or 3 arctic bases to be quite honest. Your arctic researchers' Fish and Pills intake is modest compared to your Tundra researchers.

That's no joke. I completed all the base game's sector projects in this save, and I think my tundra settlement - I got up to building the high-security labs - is consuming more fish and pills than all of my arctic sectors combined.

It's a bit disappointing, though, that almost every building in the tundra is just a palette swap of a building from elsewhere. I think the only new building models I've seen are the natural gas driller, the biocatalyst factory, and the aerogel factory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

Honestly the tier3? replacement in each tree is incredibly useful.
Also I always finish up my game with the Extra workforce capstone from Biotech.
Because it gives you +10 workforce per android in storage, per sector.

Lategame that can easily mean 5000-6000 workforce in each sector, for free, without any upkeep or maintenance.
It's completely viable to run a 100% autonomous moonbase, with no need to support citizens up there.
(Free, as in they'll cost no upkeep, but you'll have to scale up your android production enough to ship some out to other zones over the course of the game.
But since you're in the biotech tree anyhow, that means you'll be producing neuro-enhancers in the temperate regions as a byproduct of android production anyhow. :toot: )

At the moment I've got for more passive bonuses: +20% production to agriculture and energy, beef substitution, and +10% heavy industry production.

I think if I rejigger things I may try to pick up the energy capstone for every house to produce energy. Power is still an irritating little mechanic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All of a sudden the Greentide Archipelago project, going from island to island to activate reactors with increasingly arduous requirements, made sense to me when I realized that it's basically a city optimization challenge. You have a fair amount of land to work with across the sector, but it's divided across tons of mostly very small islands, and the mountain and coast building slots are mostly on non-reactor islands. The idea being that you need to concentrate your population and services on the reactor islands while offloading the resource production to the other islands, and preferably import as much as you can from other sectors.

I'm currently on the 100k investors island, and this is taking some doing and requiring expansion of settlements in other sectors to provide the skyrocketing requirements of Vivienne and her pals. Given the limited room, I'm considering building a corporate headquarters here simply for the services, cost be damned.

Fun little challenge to be sure, but if anyone's new to the game good Lord I would not recommend starting here unless you want a challenge.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

They changed it so you can start in any temperate zone in 2205 now. Which, yes, includes the Nick Papadopadopadopalous one where you rebuild a prototype trade base for extra global trade routes.

I would not recommend that one for obvious reasons of "oh god why did I start on these tiny islands?"

Yep, Greentide is even worse in that regard. As it is, I'm enjoying the Greentide project. The hard part is optimizing your city layouts, but the bulk of the work is expanding the rest of your empire to support another 100k investors.

Edit: In case anyone picked up 2205 in the sale, my recommendations for starting sectors in order of priority:

Temperate

1. Walbruk Basin. Power generation is a motherfucker in the early game, and the project here helps tremendously with that while still giving you plenty of land to work with.

2. Wildwater Bay. Most of this zone is one huge island, giving you tons of land to build to your heart's content. You won't get any benefit from the project for a while, but it will be helpful when it does come online.

3. Viridian Coves. About as much land as Wildwater, but the project here is purely cosmetic.

4. Cape Ambar. The project here is useful, but it has the smallest landmass yet and it's very spread out.

5. Madrigal Islands (DLC). Do you like tiny islands and a project meant to be a challenge for experienced players that offers a highly questionable reward? Good challenge for later in the game if you want that.

6. Greentide Archipelago (DLC). Even more, even tinier islands than Madrigal, what fun! Very much meant to be an escalating challenge in city optimization later in the game.

Arctic

1. Akia Floes. Free logistics isn't as helpful as the power in Walbruk Basin but it's still nice, and there's enough room here to get you comfortably to the moon.

2. Ikkuma Glacier. I find I use more petrochemicals than the other rare resources, so the sector project is here and it offers a lot of land to work with.

3. Saavik Province (DLC). If you urgently need more arctic land, here you are. Lots and lots of land, and the sector project gives you huge zones of warmth to build more houses in.

4. Kinngait Protectorate. Has the most water slots of the arctic if that's what you need, but the project is purely cosmetic.

Moon

1. Novikov Crater. Free workforce for the sector project! Yes please! That's rather urgent on the moon.

2. Iwamoto Crater. The magnetite is eh, but there's a load of cliff slots here (if at the cost of potentially squeezing you on space).

3. Mare Relictum. If you need a lot of open land on the moon, I guess...?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 5, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continuing to work on the Greentide Archipelago in Anno 2205. This island's challenge remains 100,000 investors on this one little island. Currently sitting at an even 40,000.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

I know this is the wrong game, but I’m pretty sure there is no active Anno 2205 thread.

Does anyone know how to decouple two vehicles? I accidentally attached an engineer ship to my command ship and I can’t figure out how to separate them and can’t find anything online.

Right click on the destination, or abort the mission.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t think this engineer ship is part of a quest but I’ll see if I didn’t accidentally accept something later, thanks.

It is. Everything that involves your command ship hooking something up is for a quest.

It might be a sector project, which is the star icon rather than a regular sidequest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Getting bored in the Greentide Archipelago. Need 20k more synths, and there's nothing challenging to it. It's just busywork to make more houses to make more houses higher level until I get enough synths, ducking into other sectors as needed to adjust production of random goods. Forcing me to spread out development across all these tiny islands is just annoying, not challenging. Synths don't even seem to do anything, and their needs are more executive/investor level garbage I'm already churning out.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally worked up the energy to finish up the Greentide Archipelago.

100,000 synths on one island.