Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God damnit, I was all prepared to make a stand and not buy this because I have too much to play and not nearly enough time as it is but this beta's really really good. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boy, this game is purdy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I must say, I'm a particular type of broke brain that would plop down individual trees and bushes in Cities Skylines because it looks good with no tangible benefit and I really appreciate the options they have in this game to fill in open spaces that provide an actual bonus. In the Worker tier of trees/decorations they have a "____ Grove" option that you can drag out over a square and it'll naturally fill in a variety of trees with grass spaces in between and it makes things look very good. Before that point I was manually plopping down one type of tree, another type of tree, with some grass in between but this kind of does it for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aphex- posted:

Picked this up today, very excited about another old times Anno game. I absolutely adored 1404 but bounced off 2070 and never played 2205. One question, as someone with a fair amount of experience with Anno, is it worth playing through the campaign or just diving right into a sandbox game?

I started the campaign but gave up before completing the first objective of "Sail to this thing" because I realized I couldn't care less about the campaign. Although it sounds like in this one the campaign rolls into a sandbox game once finished so if you really do want to play the campaign you can have both.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just founded a second island for the first time last night to farm Hops for beer and I really love the new charter trading option for inter-island trading. Not having to keep an actual trade route going with your own ships or manage the route at all outside of setting the route to begin with is really handy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SubNat posted:

Yeah, Charter routes are great when starting out, since you get a couple of them for free. (And they can go up to 80 units of a single item.)
Though influence and cost wise it's more effective to transition to using your own ships later on, especially if transporting multiple goods, or just for higher throughput.

Yeah I felt like this was the case as well. At this point I am able to make just about as many schooners as I want so it's not necessarily a big deal to make a bunch just for ferrying goods around. I still feel like I'll use the charter stuff though because it's nice to have those running on their own as a set it and forget it kind of thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way to reduce the amount of pirates roaming around? My trade routes keep getting plundered and I feel like the number of pirates really ramps up to the point where it's hard to protect all of my ships.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

haldolium posted:

Kill their base, it's not too hard.

Ah, this is what I was looking for. I guess I hadn't found their base yet and wasn't sure if they even had a base. Thank you!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

haldolium posted:

They're marked with a skull on the terrible minimap.

Awesome, I appreciate it. Also yes the minimap truly is awful. I have a rival colored pink and on the minimap her units are more or less indistinguishable from the red color of the pirates.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zedd posted:

I think I played myself into a corner by going wide over deep and not being used to the new workers demands system.

I need to make a shitton of canned foods on my secondary island, but all my 3rd tier dudes live on the main one. Trying to split goods between the 2 (and witholding on the second island only for ascension ones) is slowly draining my main island's supply. Which leads to me making more production there and that needs more plebs and now I have little space left for the poo poo I was trying to build there in the first place.

Shame the second island has a bad layout for cities else i'd just migrate tier3+ to there.

You eventually get a way to share workers between islands but I don't think that's until after the Artisan tier. I am just now getting that same production chain up and running and expect to have the same issue, so I'm only putting enough farmers on the island to man pepper fields and cow farms and then shipping those products from that island to the mainland where I have all my artisans who will take it from there. You can let that extra island run on a skeleton crew; give them some fishing piers and a small production chain to make clothing to keep the farmers happy, then ship anything else you might need like construction materials over from the mainland as needed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pierson posted:

Thanks man. I picked it up and I've played about five hours so far and I'm already obsessed again. I've already decided to restart the campaign since I made some bad planning decisions earlier and it's loving me up seeing an ugly-rear end island.

Keep in mind that in this you can click and drag a building to move it free of consequence. Makes it super easy to shuffle stuff around if you didn't plan properly or need to fit something else in that space.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, thanks for whoever mentioned selling ships to the Queen's Aide for money. I had about 5 ship of the lines left over from my navy left over after destroying the pirate base and was far into the red but teetering just over $10k. Each one of those is $50k so I'm back in business. Seems like a decent option if you're making enough materials to just set a rally point to their island and make a few ships just for the cash injection. I always assumed people saying to sell ships meant deleting them to save the upkeep cost.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Taking out the pirates in the new world was as easy as parking about 8 SOL's inside their little inlet and declaring war on them. 8 broadsides from them killed the big cannon almost instantly, then I let them target what they wanted. The island was conquered in about 30 seconds lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's kind of dumb that I'll get negative press if I'm in the red for bankruptcy even though I have ~2m in the bank. I'm finding myself pretty frequently in the red but selling ships makes me more than enough money to stay afloat and overcome any deficit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah Rum/Schnapps is usually why my meter goes into the red when it does, people get unhappy when I'm not paying attention because Rum is running low and start moving out in droves which makes my housing income plummet rapidly. Then it's always fun trying to adjust for that while my population is also in the red :sigh:

Is there a good explanation of how to achieve the influence bonuses like the expansion bonus and the military bonus? The tooltip talks about investors but I have no idea what that means, and seems to imply that spending influence on things related to that category makes it go up but I have no idea how that whole mechanic works. I have a few bonuses now but got them by basically just playing the game as I normally would.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info, I guess I haven't gotten to the point where investor houses are a thing because I haven't seen those yet. So as for the permanent bonuses like the increased production rate, or the expansion bonus that goes through Bronze/Silver/Gold, are those just increased by spending the influence you have on related things? Like, Military goes up by building ships and spending influence points to do so?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I need ONE line graph that shows all currently stored materials that I can filter things out of to easily spot when something is on the decline. It's really easy to miss that poo poo until it's too late. Bonus points if I can pin it to the UI to keep an eye on things without having to be in a menu to see it but that probably won't happen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BadLlama posted:

Yeah I started a game of 2205 last night because I owned it but apparently never played it. I could just hover over a good and it would tell me the production rate versus the consumption rate and that owned. I don't recall seeing this in 1800, can you do that?

This is how 2205 handled resources which was why people were not really into it compared to the other Anno games. They never give you a number of how many juice boxes you have, just whether or not you're in a surplus or a deficit. I really liked that because it streamlined things quite a bit but "diehards" weren't into this because it's different and "dumbed down" from previous games. It'd be neat if you could toggle between settings in 1800.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it just me or the moment you decide to not put a firehouse down because "It'll probably be fine" the whole block goes up in flames? :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, the influence point stuff really clicked for me this week. It was already explained to me once, but I didn't quite realize it until this week that you have a limited pool of influence that can be replenished by removing the things that are taking up the points. At the beginning of the game when I was building my islands, I did not realize that building things like Trade Unions and Harbormaster's Quarters cost resources and influence. At the time I didn't really know what influence was, so I was plopping down trade unions all over the place to put one person in it to give a small bonus to one or two buildings. I had a Harbormaster's with nobody in it for gently caress's sake. Once I started deleting the empty ones, or the ones that didn't give much of a bonus to just a few buildings I recovered a bunch of influence.

Edit: Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who was beginning to feel overwhelmed at the tail end of the Artisan tree. Unlocking the engineer stuff while still trying to maintain a level of supply for all of those bastards' needs is kind of a "Do I really want to go through with this? :sigh:" moment. I'm just now getting the concrete production up and running on my main island so I'm at the very beginning of it, just trying to get commuter stations up on every island right now before going full bore into the Engineer/Electricity stuff.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 26, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Note to self: people do not like you taking over their islands via majority ownership. Posh British lady declared war on me as I was snatching up her islands to get that expansionist bonus and I was.. ill prepared. I basically decommissioned my entire Navy so I could keep buying more shares with the influence points and my game is basically done at this point. Time to start over! :comeback:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I realized I never bought Bright Harvest so I grabbed that and started a new game, I like that BH has decorative tiles to put down like fences and stuff instead of the earlier DLC's that were, like, billboards? Are there other DLC's to grab that would add more decorative stuff like this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamnit, I was trying to avoid that but you might be right. I have season 1 but none of the others.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah. I bought em. :shepspends:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love playing this with all of the competitors turned off so it's just me and the traders/pirates. I have a hard enough time wrapping my head around a lot of this game sometimes so being able to do it without the added time pressure of needing to snatch up other islands before other people do is :discourse:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw all the nice little things in the pedestrian pack after buying it and decided to cough up another $15 for gardens, industrial zone, and old town.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way to do a trade route where something only gets sent to another island if stock surpasses a certain amount? I think I always struggle in Anno when it comes to managing multiple islands because I can never figure out a good way to automate sharing of resources between islands without accidentally pulling too much out of one. Like I have plank making going on a second island but it would be nice to be able to supplement that by distributing any extras from my main island instead of selling when I reach capacity for something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

You need to set minimums at each place where you want to have stock. For example when shipping rum and coffee I always set minimums so the trading place still has what it needs. It's in the warehouse menu, you access it by clicking on the item.

Oh my god it's been right there the whole time :doh:

Thank you!

Edit: All of these cosmetic packs I think have added the secret sauce I was missing in this game. It's very nice being able to gussy everything up and make it look and feel more like a city as opposed to dragging out grids in optimal layouts to get the most bonuses every time and every house looking exactly the same no matter where it is.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 12, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm taking my game much slower this time and am definitely enjoying myself a lot more. I've added on a ton of new DLC's since last time I played so taking it especially slow because of all the new mechanics. After playing a ton of CS2 I'm instinctively hitting Space to pause time when I get an alert for something so I had to move the keybind for the world view somewhere else. The game's already running at normal speed which is pretty slow but I would like to be able to plan stuff while the game is paused, especially once I'm managing multiple islands across multiple regions.

I haven't been to the new world yet this run but I am pretty far into Enbesa and the canal digging and stuff is pretty neat. I find the "click on this person to learn about X" or "find the 3 macguffins and click on them (btw here they are)" quests to be pretty onerous though and there seems to be a lot of that. I got stuff to do I can't be clicking on all your bookshelves!!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

You're using a mod to pause? You can't pause in vanilla, only go very very slowly. I'm not familiar with the mod scene which is why I'm asking.

No sorry there's a pause button but it's not one that you can do anything while paused. I have been playing CS2 which has a pause feature that allows you to make adjustments before resuming the game and so it's a bit of a muscle memory for me to mash space when I get a notification about a brewery that exploded or something. I would like it if there was a way to do something similar in this game when there's a lot going on but the best you can do is to change it to slow speed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

I think it was more of a problem before they added very slow. Very slow works well for me at least. I don't need to completely pause.

Yeah this has worked for me. Honestly I've been playing in normal speed the whole time and it's never really an issue it's just something I have to stop myself from doing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am approaching the point of my game where seemingly out of nowhere everything goes to poo poo and my balance goes deep into the red and it really feels insurmountable so I save and quit and usually don't come back. I guess I expanded too much too fast but also didn't realize that I had a festival going while I expanded so when it ended I was like -950 immediately. Maybe there's a better way to see details of my balance at any given time but it really feels like that number fluctuates so much that it's hard to get an idea of how well I'm actually doing, and when I'm already scraping the bottom of the barrel with my cash dipping into the red by a couple hundred will make that 30k disappear quickly.

Honestly I've learned a lot this game, I'm actively monitoring the production ratios and quantity on hand a lot more, but it still feels like once one spinning plate slows down I start to lose it until it all goes to poo poo. Might just start a new game! (assuming I'll eventually lose if I go broke)

Edit: to be clear I'm not blaming the game for this, it's truly great I just can barely keep it together past artisans lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks all, that's helpful info. I went straight into Enbeesa and actually haven't even really gotten established in the New World yet so Rum has not been in the equation, and I have been slow getting beer going so that's something to look at for sure. Trade is another issue I've been wasting a bunch of money on because the pirates basically get to roam free since I'm the only player on the map. I put everything into a big offensive to try and take out their island but fell short and I don't even think that permanently removes them right? I will check the tourist docks out too because I haven't built those yet so I'm sure there's money to be made there.

Edit: I think a single public mooring may have fixed my death spiral, lol.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 15, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Single Tight Female posted:

This is absolutely one of the biggest stumbling blocks early game so it shouldn't pass without further comment (although I think you meant Archie lol)

The steel production chain is a massive spike in both maintenance cost and workforce, so as well as potentially going into the red you need to further expand your workforce - costing more building materials and goods production - to supply something you can buy for $150 a ton.

In a game where generally speaking growth is king and more is better, it's dead weight at the time it comes in (like Canned Food) so just skip it.

Thank you, this is good to know. I generally haven't been doing much buying at all which I probably should be utilizing more. I definitely am spending a ton of resources making steel, I can put it in the docklands trading thing to swap for stuff or sell extra but yeah I think that's been a huge drain.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I've more or less turned it around, thanks for the help friends :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alkydere posted:

Don't forget to press CTRL+Shift+R!

Whoa, that's awesome! I had no idea you could do that.