Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

How did Carlo get such a good spot on the lineup?

Wtf, why is Spider back alive? What kind of crossover is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Precambrian posted:

The best bet is to be at least a little likable and then not rock the boat, so the Boss never has to measure how much he likes you against how much money he stands to lose/who he'll piss off by protecting you.

Ah, yes. The Compounded Hesh-Vig Equation. *blows bubbles out of pipe*

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Grammarchist posted:

One of the highlights of the show for me was Tony disdainfully watching Paulie sitting perfectly upright, alone, making rhythmic annoying laughs at a television.

I always thought that was a callback to him seeing AJ laughing like an idiot at the computer, with the same 'smdh' reaction. Maybe it wasn't intentional though.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't he watching Three's Company or something equally stupid?

You're exactly right, good memory.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

IIRC he had degenerative hip bones that were exacerbated by his weight (hence his waddling gait). His doctors pushed him to lose a bunch of weight before doing a replacement surgery on both hips, so he got a lap band and dieted pretty hard.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Related to Bobby getting his button, is there anyone who has proposed/noticed the s5-6 throughline of white shoes? I noticed it awhile back and was going to do a writeup (since I've never seen it anywhere) but assumed it was old hat given the age of the series and my unwillingness to comb through *shudder* reddit. Just didn't want to till sowed ground.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Awesome, thanks-- it's been brewing for a couple years and I'll do a thing on it this evening.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Alright, so I’ve noticed that there’s a ‘white shoes’ motif in the later seasons of the Sopranos, and specifically the second half of S6. There seems to be a link between white shoes and a character’s self-identification of their soul, perhaps through the lens of how qualitatively prepared they are for their own death and the afterlife. This may have been explored elsewhere but this is what I’ve personally found/noticed so far.

Like most other theories about little recurring objects or physical themes in pop culture works it’s pretty nebulous and fuzzy around the edges. Thankfully, with such a large amount of richly-staged material, there are many examples to track down and cobble together. Conversely, though, the sheer amount of screentime creates a lot of ‘sometimes a cigar is just a cigar’ false positives (both types of indicators are included below). I’ve found a few notable representations but it’s certainly not meant to be an exhaustive list. If nothing else it will motivate me to do yet another series watchthrough and keep an eye out. Feel free to pitch in anything else you may have noticed, or take a huge poo poo on any part you like. Go nuts.

S6.13, ‘Soprano Home Movies’. Bobby’s first hit takes place in a laundromat. As an establishing shot, a pair of white shoes is shown tumbling in a dryer. Whose shoes are they? They do not belong to the man Bobby is here to kill, since he hasn’t opened his laundry bag yet. Bobby’s first bullet passes through his target’s torso and comes to rest inside the dryer itself. There’s a moment of confused realization where Bobby can’t break his gaze away from what’s now irrevocably different— the shot holds on the tumbling shoes, Bobby’s shoes, the simple soul of a gentle giant, now tarnished behind shattered, blood-spattered glass, as the bullet tumbles and clangs pointedly within the still-running dryer.

S6.14, 'Stage 5'. Scene opens with Ginny cleaning Johnny’s white shoes next to his hospice care bed. She says, “Here, sweetie; nice and clean, just how you like them”, and the camera lingers on her placing them gently on the floor next to his bed. This is the last thing he understands/responds to. He then loses focus, tries to talk to his dead mother, and passes.

S6.15, ‘Remember When’. Paulie and Tony drive to Florida to wait out some heat after the decades-old body of a bookie is found. Tony has lingering feelings that Paulie’s loyalty has never been really tested, and is concerned about how much he talks. It’s implied that Tony realizes Paulie’s responsibility for the leaking of the joke about Ginny’s mole. Beansie Gaeta, in a one-on-one with Tony, says that Paulie’s a ‘stand-up guy’, to which Tony immediately counters that he’s sick of ‘waiting for the other shoe to drop’. Beansie also drops a line about how a single man like Paulie can go a little crazy without a wife and kids to travel through life with.

When packing for the trip at the beginning, Paulie is seen taking three identical pairs of white shoes out of his closet for the trip. There is a shot to specifically show how he leaves one sun-kissed pair-- his pair-- behind. Do all the pairs he took with him represent souls? If so, are the three pairs he does take representative of emotional baggage of an imagined wife and kids? If people only have their one pair of shoes/soul, did him leaving that one pair behind tie in with Tony building suspicion of quite whack-able reasons and yet letting Paulie remain untouched?

S6.20, ‘The Blue Comet’. Silvio garrotes Burt Gervasi in his home, and a panning shot specifically highlights Burt’s white shoes as Silvio’s black shoes walk out of frame in the background. Burt had recently proposed to Silvio an opportunistic flip to the Lupertazzi side of things in which Burt would be hailed as a diplomat, and Silvio would be Tony's likely successor. Having committed himself fully and internalizing a new alignment of his loyalties, Burt was proudly wearing his white shoes already when Silvio arrived to ostensibly discuss next steps for their plan.

Looser correlations/earlier stuff (I'm sure there's more):
Paulie’s rant about dirty shoes. “…(E)ven if you don’t touch the body, bacteria and viruses migrate from the sole, up.”

S3.X(?): When Matt Bevilacqua is killed, he pisses himself while wearing only one white shoe, which is obviously scuffed and soiled.

At the end of S4, Johnny Sack, Carmine, and Little Carmine are golfing to determine what happens as a final say on the Esplanade stuff. Carmine decides to give a bit of leniency to Tony's 'glorified crew'. Johnny (black shoes) and Carmine (white shoes) are in opposition originally, and Little Carmine (half black, half white shoes) is acting the diplomat between them. This is just before Carmine's unseen stroke (his funeral was in S5.1).

E: no spell good

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 15, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What color shoes was Eugene wearing when he hung himself?

They're black, but he wasn't exactly at peace with his choices when he went out. I always forget how much of a tight squeeze the poor doofus was in.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Vichan posted:

What an amazing scene.

His easy approach to menace is so in line with his IRL demeanor as a big lovable teddy bear of a guy. Like, he just draws on himself and refracts his behavior through a lens of power and it's truly jarring when he dials up the ready-to-snap monster vs. affability vibe.

I just read that he was originally cast for John Turturro's role as the public defender in The Night Of. Woulda loved to see him stretch a little like that.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

That show had such a strong start and ended up so disappointing, but man I would have loved to have seen Gandolfini in that role. All the scenes with the cat would have been the best :3:

:hfive:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, I'd seen photos of him irl but was unaware of the production stills... It's truly remarkable.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OOOOHhh! The kid's just tryin' to build a career ova heah, cut him some slack *whacks u italianly*

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

phasmid posted:

Both Tony and AJ model themselves after their fathers while secretly despising them. You want to shake them but it's hardly worth the trouble. Just ask Melfi. There's the idea of a "good father" that they venerate and then there's the real person they resent deep down.

I've always wondered about the intentionality of Blanca's name choice. Meadow had a half-black boyfriend and Tony hated it, but...

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

crispix posted:

Poor Parvatti :(

I want a straight-to-Netflix Sopranos spinoff sequel for wine moms where it's Janice going on a road trip to find Harpo... and herself

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The last scene of the series is where she's waiting to finally meet Harpo in a coffee shop and she looks up towards the camera with a teary smile and it cuts to black

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Furio plays the straight man to his new boss, a lovable scamp of an obese don in the mold of Dom DeLouise. They scramble around the old country to solve a series of elaborate clues they hope will lead them to a cache of Sicilian bullion. This fall on Starz OnDemand: The Fat and the Furio

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Everybody click the gently caress out of this link

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Quintupling the thanks to Jerusalem. Top notch, man. I thought I had lost my place halfway through until I got what you were doing.

BiggerBoat posted:

- A lot of people have reason to want Tony dead. And any number of people could have tailed him, his family or tipped off his location. Even a crooked cop or PI.

- every shot of people entering is from Tony's POV. The last thing he sees is Meadow before cut to black. Just in time for Members Only to emerge from the bathroom.

Just to shut my brain up I always assumed it was the result of Patsy Parisi having a chat with Butchie and coming to a mutually beneficial arrangement. Full support of Patsy as the Lupertazzi's point man for the now very diminished glorified crew in Jersey, in exchange for a location on Tony. Patsy has ample motive, a line on insider Sopranos family info, and had a gun aimed at Tony once already.

"Patrick, why don't you come over for a nice dinner this Sunday? Your mother's making her [insert pasta]. You should bring Meadow."
"Sure, but Meadow already has dinner plans with her family. Turns out they're going to that ice cream place mom loves too, remember?"
"Oh. Let me call you right back."

It's the only link to someone having a location enough in advance, and kinda nods to how Meadow brings death in the door with her. I know it's all intentionally ambiguous but without rationalizing something to fill the gaps I've always found the final episode frustrating (but justifiably so).

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 17, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

David Chase called it a death scene. Respectfully, I don't think there's a lot of wiggle room for FBI raid/arrest/flip theories. Tony's dead.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It could also be a friend from back home who would have outdated western fashion sense and feel awkward sitting down to fake enjoyment of our 'coffee'.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The gif is from the TV that Tony is "watching" the local news on, iirc.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Least believable thing on the show: Johnny Cakes guy gets with Vito after their fight. You got your poo poo together dude, you're like a catch, how you gonna get with a guy who goes for a loving pipe in a fistfight?

I always viewed their relationship as a 'Jerry Seinfeld pulls mad rear end from different hot women every week' suspension-of-disbelief thing, and thought the arc would have been more impactful if we just saw Vito realizing himself fully in a way that wasn't a forced romcom. That arc could have been really groundbreaking and award-bait through and through but meh, let's have this chungus gently caress a hot firefighter bro and have him feel 'weird'

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Federico Castelluccio is the classiest irl dude on the show, and TIL that he is an accomplished, classically trained painter and art historian with an excellent sense of humor and a thick Jersey accent.

(The original diptych is The Duke and Duchess of Urbino, and the duke was a ruthless and vain mercenary who amassed power in a small chunk of Italy by building and wielding a small army of goons.)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Looking at the film's cast list I'm disappointed there's no Hesh. Granted they'd probably have had to shoehorn it into the timeline somehow, but I always thought the lone competent non-overtly-evil counselor/father figure dynamic made for a fascinating character.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I mean, yeah, he's got a vested interest in mid- to higher-level loan sharking, but in the circles the show explores there's definitely a grading curve in terms of being a monster, right?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Patsy did pee in his pool, though. Sometimes you've gotta take the little victories.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Seconded-- but obviously not confrontationally. It's an interesting thematic thread to pull on.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The bee wasn't even real, 0/5. Disgraceful

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Does emmy-nominated supporting actor gabbagool have a cameo in any of this

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

[

Gaius Marius posted:

It's time for the story to be told, the story of Harpo Soprano

Sacre bleu! Mi mama was in my moozadell and my heart all along

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I need to get around to checking out The Shield one day.

I've heard good things.

Right there with you, but each of the three times I've tried I run into the 'FX couldn't decide whether or not to devote budget' dilemma. It's the same slog as Justified-- people rave about it but it comes off like a soap opera made by producers who skimmed the wikipedia entry for 'Prestige Drama'.

E: I hope to be corrected!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

codo27 posted:

Guys I need to show you who's been coming to visit me this week

They woke us up this morning, I almost went out in my house coat to feed them

We have nearly identical baby-orangutan-finger toes

E: aw weird and our reg dates are a day apart, wtf

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 6, 2022

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bobby Blockala is havin' a rough day

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

codo27 posted:

I enjoyed Homicide: Life on the Streets more than The Wire. I know people will think thats crazy. Wife just finished binging through all of ER on her own. That 90s Show we've been watching together but its another mail in job from Netflix. Wondering what to start into next. I'm a strange person in that I enjoy TV and movies but seldom ever make time for them, choosing to play games or do other things instead. This is compounded by the fact that when I do watch something, I must have undivided attention. I'll throw on The Simpsons or Frasier or something in the background while playing a game but I wouldn't put on The Sopranos, I have to sit and take it all in when its something like that.

I've never seen Band of Brothers, Mad Men, West Wing, The Shield, Six Feet Under. I dunno where to begin.

Band of Brothers is stellar. High production values, solid performances, great period set dressing, Ron Livingston... it's got everything.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

MokBa posted:

Unfortunately it's more like Casey Jones

That's drat clever

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tony quidprano posted:

The executive game scam collapses any time you try to apply any sort of logic to it. It always comes up and people always make the mistake of trying to make sense of it. Just black box it and enjoy Silvio yelling about cheese instead, much more enjoyable experience.

No, man, the other players are guys who A) know what they're doing and B) can cover their poo poo and as such have an open invitation to be window dressing for a revolving cast of degenerate gamblers who want a big-money game. The degenerates lose predictably and then have the hooks in them. Think about it: you have three high rollers who need no credit and, as such, when one wins they take 75% player money and 25% Scatino-tier money. With their big pockets they can and will reliably outlast Scatinos which is their purpose. That 25% mob money on the line is Scatino's credit which will pay the mob exponential interest in perpetuity. It's a completely set-up win-win for the house and the clincher is that the mark absolutely begs to be indebted. Tony got a couple hundred grand in laundered goods and credit and Scatino's entire life in that one 36-hour game, and how many other degenerates were coming in and out?

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2024

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What did Tony mean that if Davey had won, Tony would be singing the blues? Wasn’t all the money at stake from the players with the house taking a rake no matter who’s winning? Even if Davey had somehow busted out the other players & repaid Tony, Tony wouldn’t have taken a loss like if they were running blackjack or roulette.

That was just Tony placating Davey. And yes, the house would get a percentage of winnings to hedge all possible outcomes. Davey going on a lucky streak would only cost those other well-heeled players their own money and Davey would still pay a percentage to the mob. And with a win, Davey will be back next week with alot more cockiness and go in even more before losing it. Heads I win, tails you lose.

E: This is why gambling is regulated-- it's entirely exploitative by nature, even when 100% legal

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

La Cosa Nosferatu