Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

man nurse posted:

I just got broken up with, so this will be the month of video games helping to distract me and heal my soul.
hope you find a good anime girl to cheer you up in this time of pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Also just let the Ace Combat devs make a Macross game.

It'd be pretty much perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK8bXHnGPQo
next best thing, the AM2 macross game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-23inRGWjs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

assault horizon was on PC, but it does not count

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

going hard for the horniest gamer 2019 prize I see

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Who was January’s horny gamer of the month?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if global warming is real then why do I have four inches of snow outside? checkmate

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1091418835910094849
Lord 187X

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

like tears in rain...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Lol I bought that game back when it was still available.
it was surprisingly good and had a lot of interesting ideas for a diablo type game, from what I can remember

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was gonna say too bad no one ever made a darkspore private server but turns out someone just started working on one in the past couple months. maybe not looking so hot though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Some people just really like gatekeeping which is how you get people being like "oh I bet ice t isn't a real gamer" or the people that try and act like people who cosplay stuff they haven't played/watched are somehow not nerdy or the people who feel like they can only listen to music when it specifically caters to nerds and gamers and poo poo even though plenty of music is nerdy as hell without catering entirely to a particular group
now lets not conflate very real very powerful gamer ice t with secondaries

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wish we were talking about ice cube so I could say "the gamer word you love to hate"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What are secondaries
you described them just now, secondaries are people that are way into derived works but don't care about the original material. classical example is the touhou fan that obsesses over fan art of particular characters but will never play the games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's fine as long as they keep to themselves and never try to inject themselves into discussions of the original thing, cause they're hopelessly and embarrassingly in over their head.

it's like when two people are discussing their experience playing a game and a third comes in like "oh yeah I watched a LP of that". it's not constructive or helpful

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like to think of the gate as locking them in, rather than keeping them out

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never played Until Dawn, but I have watched three full playthroughs, can I talk about it
you can talk about whatever you want, but if you make an assertion about something you only know about second hand and someone with first hand experience contradicts you, please defer to the person that actually knows what they're talking about. this is just a good general rule of life, whether you're talking about climate change, race, or video games

there probably isn't much risk when talking about until dawn, however

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

why do other video games need to exist, when dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_AdsL7w5Io

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in a couple years you buy a playstation 5, open up the box, and its just dreams 2 inside

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Can I make fixed camera tank control games with it.
fixed cameras absolutely, tank controls probably but the default puppet controls are camera relative

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh, here's the dude talking about making his pool game, its crazy detailed
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373430680?t=1h30m

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Can you make Metroid Prime 4? :qq:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTsTy6voAo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao, yoko taro is doing the new 24 man raid in FF14

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and its actually a nier raid wow, "yorha: dark apocalypse"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

This came up in the ps4 thread but apparently the youtuber "reporting" this is a crazy person, who keeps getting banned from MtG tournaments for molesting people.

So uh.

Maybe take with a grain of salt.
that's true but there's also a weird amount of supporting evidence around it. a lot of big streamers have been doing tf2 streams lately, and this weekend many streamers including everyone that had a substantial titanfall presence have secretly flown out to LA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so mad at video games right now... had a perfect run going on this week's hitman 2 elusive, well on my way to silent assassin, got spotted by a camera on the way to the exit so I snuck into the security room to delete the footage, and just as I'm doing that someone walks in on me and ruins everything!!

hate when I get walked in on + things are ruined

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I dodged the cameras up to that point, but then I got careless...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I think I'd like to play FF14 again but I don't have a thumb-numberpad mouse anymore and those always felt like the only good way to have enough drat hotkeys in easy reach, modifiers included
play with a controller

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I installed the anthem demo in a questionable hdd, cause lol if I'm gonna delete stuff for anthem, and wow this game really does not cope with slow drives. it draws all the text in for menus and UI elements before the backgrounds are fully loaded so it looks constantly broken at all times

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

FFXIV seems to be shaping up like my dream Final Fantasy. A bunch of stuff from past and future games thrown together with a bunch of cameo fights. I hope they throw in the races from 9 and 10 someday.
they say viera is gonna be the last player race, but maybe npc races I guess, there's already bangaa and nu mou npcs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's the ultimate board game strategy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, its like playing 3 final fantasy games back to back at this point, and soon to be a fourth. if you want to play a final fantasy game its an incredible strength, because the main story of that game is one continuously long quest line that started 5 years ago and is extended every couple of months and is generally pretty good (and imo is the best FF from a storytelling perspective). if you don't want final fantasy in your MMO though then RIP you, especially during the couple of rough patches early on that are fairly explicitly filler that made it easier on the 2.0 team cleaning up the mess that was 14-1

they sell story skips now that get you up to whichever expansion you want to start at, but that just exacerbates the problem because you'll have zero hope at following along if you take that option. there's stuff in the most recent patch MSQ that is still directly following on from things that happened 5 years ago. 5.0 is going to include a new game+ feature to hopefully help skippers catch up on some of the more important quests but its a Big Game, I think the MSQ is up to like 600+ quests long now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

It is absolutely the worst FF story ever
not all of it is amazing, but idk there's some genuinely really good storytelling in there. pretty much any time they focus on developing one character in particular it pays off incredibly well, like the tail end of 2.x and the first half of heavensward, and the yotsuyu stuff in stormblood. the political stories are usually pretty good also, they had a whole story arc about refugees that was incredibly sick, the writers take a lot of clear inspiration from matsuno. the overarching plot with the ascians is somewhere between underdeveloped and bad though, and hopefully they start wrapping that up in this coming expansion.

main thing I like about the storytelling is it's fairly humane. most RPGs and especially MMOs are super materialistic and revolve around "gently caress that guy up he took our thing"/"gently caress that guy up we need his thing" type plots. in ff14 though your group is all about going in and diplomatically figuring poo poo out and righting wrongs, usually loving people up just enough for them to listen to you. they do a really good job generally of attributing understandable motives and desires to people, even when it's horny fishmen that are murdering people to make room to lay their eggs

the other part of it I guess is just the insane volume of it, the MSQ is like a loving final fantasy soap opera. it's very unhurried storytelling

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 3, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk what that is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's fair, there's a lot of dialogue and most of it isn't framed that interestingly, especially in the early poo poo. I did say it was a ff soap opera. most of what they're saying is good, though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What's that game with the camera someone was talking about a while back
michigan?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Natsuiro High School?
horny gamer point +1

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/hyperdude53/status/1092105372574408705

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"punks not dead" -jeff bezos

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

So is Dreams like Occulus Quill but instead of making animations you can make playable content?
kinda, but it really is mostly a sequel to littlebigplanet. except the worst part about LBP is that no matter what people made, there was always a bad platformer hiding behind the scenes, sackboy was always in the mix. and sometimes it was a real pain in the rear end to build around the existing game. dreams has a very similar toolset especially for logic, but in full 3D space and without LBP's constraints. you get a physics engine, a prerigged template for making controllable puppets if you want, and then a blank canvas. dreams' equivalent to sackboy is pretty much just a mouse cursor that you can dress up. and crucially unlike LBP they make it really easy to share bits and pieces for other people to import into their dreams, so if you're bad at music or don't want to record SFX or whatever you can mooch off other people

the modelling is more like oculus medium than quill though, its digital sculpting using signed distance fields, its like working with clay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

Just.. like... WHY a battle royale? For a studio with super strong design chops with a history of their releases getting overshadowed and suffocated by bigger titles in the same genre, why would they try to push into the genre with the biggest, most suffocating game in the industry right now?
presumably they started development before everyone realized battle royales are a bloodbath, and have been increasingly depressed over the past year, and also I'm gonna assume there's some kind of mandate from EA. really funny to think they were acquired by EA like a month before PUBG came out

the real mystery is why isn't it called titanfall something