Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

Why do care about video game stocks unless you're a stock broker

Number go up, my corporate tastes are validated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't played one, but most of the ~walking sims~ camster shows off look neat.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 looks like an entirely spectacle driven game where even on the hardest difficulty every single fight is a cakewalk.

Some people like that but I need to be engaged with a game when I play it.

It's a game made by square so yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

3D World was fun enough but probably the least memorable 3D Mario for me. It's definitely more varied and pretty, but I think I liked 3D Land more on the whole.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Galaxy was more obstacle course than sandbox imo and G2 leaned more towards that since individual galaxies had less missions on the whole.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mario was brought by a stork and exists in a world without gently caress

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Celese is probably the angriest I've ever seen anybody get at a platformer's plot.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's still not great and they have a tendency to handle their female casts poorly even beyond that, but yeah, Jump Force is largely drawing from action comics for boys. The demo labels as a whole aren't that hard set a sole signifier of readers or content, but what you see is what you get for the most part in this case.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the animated zelda bits looked too anime to me

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

al-azad posted:

Yeah, a lot of people are posting about Iwata and Nintendo's board of directors cutting their pay and saying that layoffs hurt morale, but less than a year later Nintendo of Europe fired like 300 distribution people and when the new CEO came onboard a few years ago he gutted a bunch of smaller foreign divisions basically eradicating Nintendo of Korea. Corporate culture in Japan is that you're a lifer so layoffs are seen as taboo so Nintendo has no problems firing their foreign staff to save a buck.

Like I'm positive Iwata, who started off as a code monkey, really liked his crew but also we don't need to defend corporate culture by saying "look, the lesser of two evils!"

Japan having an expectation of employment for life also just results in pressuring people to resign when they want you gone a la Konami.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

That seems unnecessarily harsh in a world where everyone sucked Spider Man's dick last year.

What's the mistyped av for

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I enjoyed it. I liked the message at the end that the characters realized that over consumption of media and capitalism is toxic and bad. All the world of Oasis did was make everyone miserable and have a toxic view of reality.

I mean, if it's like the book, there's a big *"now that we, personally, are rich and not materially inconvenienced by the state of the world or personal circumstances" appended there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why do people have to bring this up every time, like yeah japan kinda sucks on lgbt rights, but like that isn't like an excuse for a game to be lovely about them and I have played plenty of japanese games where i was like "oh this cooler with LGBT stuff then I seen in some western games."

Yeah, generalizing like that kinda sucks when examples like this can be very clearly traced to the consistent trends and ideas of a particular team or director without bulldozing over the existence of better LGBT works, authors, and movements. Japan has a lovely conservative government and general culture, but if you're just gonna take it as read that people are inevitable extensions of their ruling culture, then, well. It's the sort of thinking that led to a bunch of nerds getting really angry about a trans character in a popular anime last year, because there's just no way such a thing would happen without western meddling, or people being completely unaware of the ongoing-literally-today gay marriage movement.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

... Isnt that totally misrepresenting Naotos storyline in persona 4? Didn't she have to take up presenting as a guy due to the mysoginy in the line of work she wanted, but she still wanted to be feminine and not hide her true self?

If you date naoto you basically get to choose how she dresses at some point

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Lala Escargot is literal scene dressing with seven lines in the whole game. She isn't even an s. link. We do not know enough of her internal life to even know if she's a transwoman, a drag queen who identifies outside the binary, a cis man who enjoys crossdressing, or even just a cis woman. Why do people keep bringing her up.

Literally the only reason Lala stands out is because something vaguely queerish got to exist on screen in a modern Persona game for five consecutive seconds without Hashino making GBS threads himself in sheer terror. That isn't impressive.

I couldn't even tell you what Lala looks like since they don't have a dialogue portrait.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samus Returns' main issue is enemies being too chunky when fought conventionally, but the last beam upgrades fixes that so I thought it got better about that towards the end. My main issue was forgetting about spiderball when it was meant to be used to avoid attacks which is on me. Other than that it had issues, but understandable experimental/"devs' first time with the series" ones that just make me more curious about how'd they iterate given the chance.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

If you bought anthem early, gently caress yourself. You're part of the reason games will continue to release in increasingly unfinished states. You deserve every loading screen the game throws at you.

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think people really overstate how significant the relationship stuff in FE is. Awakening was successful out of the gate and it wasn't exactly marketed as a dating sim, and people actively disliked how they contorted themselves to shoehorn the exact same systems in Fates.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I wasn't planning on writing off Cold Steel since everyone said it was generally better but when TitS FC went on sale I decided to try starting from the beginning.

I like what I've played of CS, but that's kind of a niche take in the grand scheme of things as far as I can tell. whenever I see the wider fanbase it's generally the cold steel games that are most divisive

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're marketed as "story-RPGs" so they're pretty much anti-Barudak games

e: ^eh, between it being the first and the game's structure making your party so often Estelle+Josh &Guest, the combat tends to feel kinda basic compared to say, Cold Steel giving you full parties with way more interesting Crafts and effects to work with. Being able to make animations speedy these days would help though.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 23, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The prologue writing felt kinda slow in the moment (though I'd like it better on a replay), but the character dynamics get better once Estelle has more people to bounce off of imo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1100456177031356416?s=19

e: I would recommend not following the link.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i feel that there's a decent chance this is a fuckup borne from some out of touch austrian PR rep's ignorance but absolutely would not be surprised if it wasn't

This is what the site looks like so uh

cw
https://twitter.com/TheElderPan/status/1100466479642935296?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

because it costs no additional money to create and some people will double buy and they have a flimsy excuse for it as well as the clout to pull it off (unlike any franchise smaller than pokemon)

Eh, it's really common for games of its type, Yokai Watch did the same thing with at least one entry.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1100764959695355904?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1101243389025157120

this exists, for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what's a Fortnite "season"