Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Re: Etrian Odyssey games on the Switch. Splatoon 2 has already demonstrated that you can point/aim at the screen with a joycon so I don't see why you couldn't translate that feature to a DRPG. Like, have the map in the lower right but enlarge it with a button press and then use the joycon like a pointer to make adjustments. If you didn't want to play with lose joycons, you can implement map-making features with analogue sticks and buttons, too. It'd be a shame if EO died because the market went back to single-screen experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I won't beat your saber into the sea.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I don't understand why people would get upset that Ace Combat 7 doesn't have Heroes of the Storm support but there's a lot about the PC master race that I don't grok.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Anyway, good morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbRJoHTJAM

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I know I've posted this before and I wish I had more unique clips, but I think this is a good thread for gameplay snippets and we're talking about Nioh, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

Not very impressive since it's only on NG difficulty, but you can get an idea of what a late-game build plays like when dueling against two people. I relied on debuffs on big targets for the second half of the game; their experience commitment was low and being able to make someone slow and weak for a few seconds was a huge benefit. I bought the season pass but never dipped into any of the content; my save is at the beginning of NG+ and I a) forgot the nuances of the controls and b) die to everything in a few hits. It's like learning the game over, from scratch! I'd like to mess around with the new weapon types but I couldn't find any when I went back in; maybe I could buy some from the store? I'll have to take another look.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Are those alpha/beta/last chance trial bonuses for Nioh tied to your account or...?

Kinda just want to restart my file, I played those prerelease versions so much that by the time it came out I was tired of that first area, but also it's been so long that I'd want to start there again because I don't remember what things I had done. Coming out between Berseria and Breath of the Wild didn't help.

I'd imagine that they are tied to your account. You can have multiple save files, so you don't need to wipe anything out. I don't recall the pre-release stuff being that game-changing, just some minor stuff to help you through the first stage or two. Maybe a unique helmet?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Played some Apex Legends last night. Didn't get any kills in over an hour but that's in line with how I usually approach online FPS games. Had fun though. I think the building part of Fortnite pushed me away, so this might be something I come back to snack on from time to time. I didn't see that For Honor was a PS+ freebie this month, so now I have competing competitive games to dig into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Zi7LHQLm0

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

Team Waffle here.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I cannot play enough Apex to sate my hunger. I've been carried to two victories and while I didn't get a kill in either game I was a team player who pinged items and enemies and came in with a clutch revive. I've got a long weekend coming up so I'm hoping to just deep dive into this and maybe get enough free currency to unlock Caustic the toxic white male.

Resident Evil 2 remains at the top of my "to buy" list, and hopefully I'll have some extra scratch soon so I can pick it. It's taken a lot of restraint to not just smash that buy button but it's not like the game is getting less good as I wait.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a game that I was interested in at some point in my life. I loved KH1 and did everything there was to do. I played Chain of Memories and started KH2 and after that I realized that the game was no longer for me. Looking at KH3 videos all I see is style and flash (and Disney and bizarre plot points), and there's nothing to draw me in unless I was invested in Sora's story or was dying to play through Frozen or Toy Story. Which I'm not, so I think I'll just live my best life and let KH3 languish until it goes on a deep sale and there's nothing else I'm interested in playing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Why don't you want to try it? Not saying that you should capitulate, but what's holding you back?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Using the ping system in Apex when no one on your squad has mics is kind of like a Turing Test. You're giving out commands and information, hoping that your team can react to it and maybe pings stuff for your benefit, too. Just as simple as pinging a closed door to let people know where you're heading, then seeing them congregate around you reminds me a little bit of Spec Ops: The Line. Marking enemies you see, seeing an ally ping some high tier armor or a backpack for you, calling out that you still need a gun after running through two buildings, silently agreeing that you've spent too much time on the fringe of the map and that you should head towards a nearby balloon so you can all get some altitude and glide towards the ring, it all feels very fluid and nautral, and I hope the player base embraces it and becomes more comfortable pinging the hell out of things.

This isn't to say that you can play Apex like a single player game, but one thing I know was a black mark on my past attempts to get into online FPSs was that not using a mic meant I couldn't share enough information with my team, making it basically a single player game insofar as efforts at teamwork were concerned. Here, you can have a very professional line of communication with two pubbies without ever opening your mouth.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

THere's that movie that RDR2 is based on.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The square button on one of my PS4 controllers is feeling stiff which makes it hard to play Apex Legends as that requires a lot of mashing on square to pick things up. I don't really want to open it up again and see if there's something under the button, but it's that or cough up $60 for a new controller (or, likely, both).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Morning all.

My horror buddy is interested in Resident Evil 2, and since she's been housebound following the birth of her child I can use this as a way to both support her and also play a game I've been hungry for all year.

Before I do that, I have to deal with my flooded basement. If the sump pump died again I'm going to be upset, but I don't remember where any of the documentation that came with it is so I can't check to see if I have some sort of guarantee on it. Leaving work early to buy a replacement pump and a back up for the plumber to install. Very excited about it.

Then I stumble through dinner as my wife is out of town, and if I play my cards right I can feed my kid and get him in bed by 7, then make myself a steak and some home fries and watch the Nintendo Direct before playing a few hours of Apex. Very much a mixed bag kind of day.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

We were just reciting our favorite gamer words.

"level up"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Is HUNK an acronym?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harvest Moon protagonist and their dog.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

My purchase of Silksong hinges entirely on the travel system in the game because Ive never quit a metroidvania game as hard as Hollow Knight but if travel were at least better I could deal with my other complaints.

As a counter point, I loved the travel system and enjoyed the dozens of hours I put into Hollow Knight just the way it is. If they change it too much, it risks losing that certain... I don't know what that made it really click for me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Dmc5 demo question: how does eqipping arms work?

If i equip one arm type in slot 1 and i have 4 copies of it do i get all 4 in battle or do i need to equip each copy into all 4 slots?

Put another way, when the game tells me i have 3/4 of an arm type do i get the whole stack of them equipped or just 1?

im too bust hacking poo poo up to be able to tell whats going on.

You would need to equip 4 copies of the arm.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm getting kind of pumped about Dreams. I always get creative urges when I see a new game toolbox, which is why my laptop is loaded with stuff like GameMaker, RPGMaker, and Inform 7. I've been watching a lot of videos about Dreams creations and creative techniques, and my wife seems pretty keen on it as well. I'm interested to know what this announcement is going to be today (secret, immediate release plz).

I've been playing some REmake since my RE2 schedule sucks (once a week for a few hours only), and I'm farther than I've ever gotten before. I've just wrapped up the Residence and am heading back to the mansion with the last key. I'm not crazy about the mansion since it's a bunch of tight spaces and I feel like I've already run a dozen laps around it trying to get the death masks, but hopefully whatever this helmet key opens will be worth it. I'm also worried that I'm going to play through the whole game without ever using this grenade launcher if only because I'm never sure when I need to kit myself out for a boss battle. That and two of my inventory slots have been more or less permanently occupied by a lighter and flask.

RE2 rules. I'm only playing it when my friend is over so the going is a lot slower than I'd like, but after two nights I'm collecting chess pieces as Leon and I figure I'm about half-way through his story. I feel like there's just the right balance between supplies and danger, and while I've had times where my supply box is brimming with herbs and gunpowder there always seems to be some sort of equalizing situation that leaves me with only a few rounds and whatever plant-life I can find. Properly tense, but I'm looking forward to finishing up Claire B so I can start Claire A while wearing headphones and going at my open pace.

Here's a clip from my playtime last night, for color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4GNC7Srb0

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am experiencing existential dread because I have a decent dental plan that I probably won't have in a few months and I have been procrastinating dealing with my wisdom teeth for nearly two years
Go to a dentist. Make an appointment today and schedule it around noon, then take a half-day at work and spend the afternoon playing games. Probably going to need two appointments - one for a cleaning and analysis and a second for the wisdom teeth removal. Stop hesitating and spend 15 minutes looking into who accepts your insurance and then call them.

Cowcaster posted:

farted real bad but still have chest pain, now i'm getting worried
Call your doctor's office, and if you don't have one, go to the website on the back of your insurance card and find a general practitioner who's close to you. First time appointments take a little longer to be scheduled but once you're in the books you can get appointments later the same week (in my experience, anyway). If it's really worrying go to an urgent care clinic near you; again, the insurance card likely has a price for urgent care visits; mine is a decent government insurance and a visit there costs $25. It was a life saver when I developed shingles and was able to get antibiotics prescribed before my scheduled doctor's appointment. I know it's kind of weird to go from not having insurance to having the abilities to actually get yourself checked out by a professional without worrying about breaking the bank, and it's a goddamned tragedy that that's the situation the USA has placed itself in, but you have tools now. Use them.

Having insurance but still worrying about going to the doctor or dentist because of time lost at work/bothering the professionals/maybe it's nothing is the real life equivalent of letting your RPG party get creamed in a fight but not using your elixirs because you might need them later. Only in real life your conditions can worsen and your whole life gets hosed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hollow Knight was an amanzing experience, one of the best games I played last year, and I loved every minute of it. It's challenging but I don't think it's unfair. The common criticisms about the map system or how long it takes to travel around didn't bother me in the least; exploring a new area without a map to orient myself was exciting, as was exploring after getting the map but before you get back to a checkpoint to fill in your discoveries. Having to trudge around the map also worked to keep me kind of grounded to the character. You get some tricks but you're still a little bug in a big ruin and I had fun plotting routes between destinations. I thought that I wasn't physically going to be able to complete the extra difficult challenge area with the joycons, but I did and then I went and beat the Fools challenge, and then I got sad because I was running out of content in an amazing game.

What I'm saying is, don't discount Hollow Knight because it takes time to beat. It's big, it's beautiful, it's engaging, and it's worth your consideration.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

There are also signs around that area with pictures of a nail/sword, pointing towards the nailsmith. They can be easy to overlook if you aren't paying attention, but there are a lot of signs in this game and it pays to make note of them.

Pro-tip for people just starting out; you won't likely wind up with a huge surplus of geo in the beginning but if you're afraid of losing your stash by dying there's a bank that will hold your money for you. It's a little out of the way but worth making deposits there throughout the game so you can afford the late game, big ticket items.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

my buddy Superfly posted:

Any robot that has a computer monitor on it should be playing a dog video with said monitor at all times.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1099002908757184517

With the wrinkles below Pathfinder's eye/face, it looks like a grizzled Toad in <s>power armor</s>pupper armor.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

If Left Alive took place in the Front Mission universe, I would expect them to say Wanzer at some point during the trailers. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

King Crimson’s Grim Grotto

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

These are great. Some sound just like 80’s pop songs

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’m finally playing Celeste and it’s good. I also grabbed Wargroove but I haven’t tried that yet

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In this morning's edition of Sick Sad World, people are finding stuff like instructions for how to commit suicide inside Splatoon fan videos targeted at kids, as wells as "a Minecraft video depicting a school shooting, a cartoon centered on human trafficking, one about a child who committed suicide by stabbing and another who attempted to commit suicide by hanging." It's likely that at this point in your life you are terminally ironic and jaded, and could watch a clip of Octonauts with Bud Dwyer edited in and not blink an eye, but it's pretty wild that people are making videos specifically to gently caress up kids. If you have a6-8 year old who likes Splatoon and they go to YouTube Kids to find funny Splatoon videos, maybe they're being told to "end it" while you think they're just enjoying some screen time.

Not to make it a big "won't somebody please think of the children" moment but it's a different situation than CDs with dirty lyrics being sold to minors without a guardian's approval.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...m=.3d8ecea82e8a
https://pedimom.com/youtube-protectourkids/

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Looper posted:

hardly any of those parents are actually going to watch the videos

(tw, cutting)

Even if they did, these appear to be short subversive injections into longer videos. Like, the clip from the second link I posted has Filthy Frank come onscreen to tell kids to cut sideways for attention and longways for results, an 8 second part of a 17 minute video. A parent could watch 95 percent of the video with their kid (although that would be torture, these are not good videos) and still miss the part that's likely to cause the most distress.

Anyway, I posted it because it's an intersection between games and kids and it's good to get a refresher on how awful things are along the periphery.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

REmake 2: I just cleared Leon A. Will I spoil anything noteworthy if I play some of the side stories? I’m saving Claire B for next week.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

Actually dontvplay the girl since it uses a map from Claire's story.

Thank you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ghost Survivors is hard but I'm gonna master this poo poo. I like that a run is only about 15-20 minutes

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Julius Caesar was no Shadow

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Seems weird that the studio that made a big deal about keeping Witcher 3 in the oven to make sure it was great on day 1 - a move that really paid off for the company and franchise - would turn around and turboslam the crunch button for their next big title. GOG laid off about a dozen people and that's not really cause for alarm nor is it a sign that CDPR will be pushed into overdrive. Similarly, GOG caters to its own clique of gamers and has been existing in Steam's shadow for years. Epic coming out with a launcher/store that doesn't have discussion boards for their games, or the ability to make groups in game from your friends lists, or user reviews, or the ability to sort their the store's offerings, or screenshot functionality doesn't seem like the GOG killer some articles are describing.

But what do I know, GOG and CDPR could be knocking at death's door and we'll see Cyberpunk 2077 in stores by June.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Bayonetta 2

e: Actually it's probably one of the Pokemon games after they introduced breeding.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 27, 2019

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Australian_pokemons2.png

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I bet Scorbunny's final evolution is a fire/fighter type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wasn't that impressed with the reveal. Wake me up when we get a true hobby-grade, cover-based action Pokemon game with always on multiplayer, a roster of colorful trainers to select from who all have at least a dozen quips full of personality, and loot boxes that my Pokemon earn every few levels that include cosmetic items and a different non-premium premium currency that can only be used to by IV boosting berries. The meta, and this is important, must hinge on these non-premium premium berries.