Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

30lbs? Floyd is toast.

:lol: nah. Floyd is gonna school him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

you don't say?

I missed your irony in the first post. Lo siento.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Declan MacManus posted:

why not just make it a 190 catchweight? or are they giving floyd some concessions since he’s fighting two weight classes below his opponent

Paul is the one getting the concession by making sure the GOAT can only weigh 160. His weight at 190 is irrelevant.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Watch Floyd show up fat like Askren and take a dive for a half a billion dollar pay day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tyron can actually knock a motherfucker out, though. He's likely gonna get worked because he's loving cooked and Paul is juiced to the gills. He actually has a puncher's chance, though.

e: one of the best examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv7WgK-pC6c&t=154s

Tyron is still gonna be tiny in there since he's another 170lbs fighter going up to 204 or whatever. He's likely gonna get wrecked in the first round.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 31, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Can Tyron lean against the ropes like he does the cage and just wait for a counter opportunity? Is he fast enough to survive with that kind of strategy? He's never been a pressure fighter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fpr those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAynWMcimg

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Only thing I know about James Toney is he got a nice payday to get taken down and bopped a few times by Randy Couture at the end of his career.

Ray Mercer also crossed over to fight a former UFC champ. They were originally supposed to box, but the AC wouldn’t sanction the bout under boxing rules. It would do it as an MMA fight, though. Tim and Ray had gentleman’s agreement that they would only box. Immediately out the gate, Sylvia throws a leg kick, disappointing Mr. Mercer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LLCoolJD posted:

Silva did look good in his boxing match, but on the other hand Ortiz is a larger, pumped up brawler who's probably going to be less gunshy than Chavez, Jr. So who knows.

Tito split with Forrest Griffin (most recently losing).

Forrest Griffin talking about fighting Anderson Silva (who embarrassed him standing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1R50LpFh_M

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bob Morales posted:

Why not the spider vs a Paul?

Because Silva is a real striker that I don't think would take a dive or just pepper him with light shots to keep him standing the whole bout.

Still lollin at Tito.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah he got knocked out cold. He looked like Frank Mir laying on the canvas after Mark Hunt bopped him. Both had eyes wide open but vacant just staring off in the distance. Hunt didn't follow him to the canvas because he could see mir staring off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinI2oEAaxg&t=19s

I know this is MMA and not boxing, but someone being sent to the shadow realm is universal. There was no flop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This kid in the minion suit hits like a loving truck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bullshit decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mark Hunt is the best. I remember Soa Palelei (another aussie MMA fighter) talking about being in the gym with Hunt all the time. They make him wear the 20oz in sparring even though everyone else wears 16oz because he just hits so god damned hard. He also knew he could take another fighter's worst shots because he "can't hit as hard as Mark."

I just thought about poor stefan sutoruvu after a fight with Hunt:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 9, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Enjoy this compilation video of Mark Hunt KOing people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-I2qxrer_M

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I turned off the fight without watching the last two rounds this morning. It seems like Paul was afraid to actually box for most of the fight and was more interested in clinching.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean fighting Askren and Tyron Woodley wasn't really impressive in my mind. Anderson Silva was the only real striker he fought, and even then he's an almost fifty year old MMA fighter not a boxer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nate is definitely much smaller than Paul and probably will be giving up a good chunk of weight. For example, when he dropped and choked out Conor McGregor he had literally been doing tequila shots on a boat off of Cabo San Lucas, he weighed in at 169. He didn't cut weight at all. He's not a big guy. He fought at 155 when he wanted to bother with a weight cut.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does Wilder hit harder than Ngannou? Ngannou is arguably the hardest hitter in the world. I doubt Francis wins, but he always has a puncher's chance because no one in the world hits as hard as he does.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Julio Cruz posted:

I’m not too familiar with Ngannou but I find it extremely unlikely that a UFC guy has good enough movement to get close enough to Fury to start throwing haymakers

Here's a video of most of his finishes in reverse chronological order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9DNW3X4OY

The dude has the power to put people out with things that look like taps. His hard punches send 250+lbs men flying. He is also very fast with an incredible reach.

I will note in the penultimate finish, Ngannou had never drilled a kimura before warm ups prior to the fight. He had worked on some takedown defense, and one of his coaches was showing him how to fend off a takedown with a kimura grip. They didn't expect that he would be able to submit someone with it. He took a decorated wrestler's arm that was locked around his leg and just flipped him with it effortlessly.

All of that said, he's not a boxer and hasn't spent his life boxing. He'll likely get pieced up on the outside and never really get to do anything before gassing and getting finished. He does hit literally as hard as a small sedan crashing at 30mph, though. His last UFC fight was against a highly decorated kickboxer, and he surprisingly wrestled and otherwise outpointed him to a unanimous decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will note that Ngannou started training with boxing at 22 and not MMA. He picked up MMA years later because he was homeless after spending a few months in jail in Spain for illegal border crossing. He had nothing in Paris and was staying at an MMA gym because a coach saw his potential.

He's still going to get smoked, but it isn't quite like Ben Askren going into a boxing ring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

Still thinking about MMA punching in a boxing match. I think it's uncontroversial to say that conor could punch a guy hard. In that fight with Floyd he hit him once clean with a real nice uppercut and Floyd didn't even blink. I think boxing is just different.

While McGregor can knock out people for sure, he doesn’t and has never has the power to send 250lbs men flying from a punch to their head. I don’t think they’re quite comparable.

I do agree, though, that boxing is different. The larger gloves mean hits aren’t as clean and they’re padded more. I just don’t think comparing McGregor to Ngannou is proper.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

fair comment, but if i hit someone clean throwing at 75% and they didn't blink i'd consider discontinuing the fight if i was also down on points.

Reminds me of Luke Rockhold just giving up after Mike Perry shattered some of his teeth in their bare knuckle match.

I don’t watch standard boxing enough to know how often someone just says “nah, I’m done” like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hope Tyson surprises us all like Mark Hunt v SBW.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hope against hope that Tyson will go in there with the intent to knock him out. I just don't believe it.