Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I hope everyone in this thread has a good day today and tomorrow with lots of trump* lols and bestowed upon us and more chuds tripping over their dicks

*I hit random keys to try to misspell trump and that is what actually came out, gently caress

I'm having a hard time this week sharing my usually organized living space with too many people but I finally got some time to myself and ignored them and now my work project's code is organized as hell to make up for it, so that's my good mental health story today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, great work on the OP, you put a ton of effort in!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Sometimes music can take you right out of a hostile situation. Heard this yesterday in a restaurant and it was like I had teleported 20 years younger to a completely different era where none of today's issues existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjx9oSJDAVQ

Try putting on a new playlist today

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I dunno about that but thanks for posting the song, it rules

Death crew is a force of good but only if it's used to laugh in the face of the news and their lives and the absurdity of earth's constant dysfunction

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They're all broke too mostly

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Saved from depression by the incel community

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm having a real rough mental health week and almost exclusively reading this thread and letting my own thread go to poo poo. Y'all are helping though

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bert Roberge posted:

I am losing feeling on the right side of my body and I can't see a doctor I can afford for 3 weeks.

I am raging out and lashing out at everyone and it sucks.

Have you been on any psych meds long term? Some of them have neurological damage symptoms like dyskinesia (compulsion to move around) that only slowly present themselves after years, and are hard to reverse by the time it's clear you're one of the ones having them. I've been off any medication for a year now because I suspected that and I'm still trying to learn more about it. Probably not the answer for you but I'm curious if you've thought of medication as a factor.

Zyla posted:

one incredibly lovely aspect of working for the government on secret stuff is that its possible to lose your clearance by getting help for mental conditions.

Wow, and these geniuses enforce that rather than provide therapists who also have a clearance? So everyone trusted with privileged information is necessarily hiding issues and more vulnerable than average? Great system

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Feb 11, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

What are the chances that not getting help will interfere with your progress and delay you even further?

Therapy doesn't even take that much time, it's kind of a bad excuse

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

do NOT jack off posted:

Does anyone else feel profound feelings of worthlessness? Does political news only make it worse? I look at these colossally awful things happening in the world and even close to home, and just think of how powerless I am. It really exacerbates depression.

I could tell you what helps relieve that and other tension but I don't think you're personally allowed to do it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Weed vaporizers are two pieces: One little round USB battery and one little cartridge thing full of thin wax with a circuit hidden somewhere inside it too I guess. Each of them costs less than 50 bucks at your local dispensary. For how long they can last they are definitely the most cost effective way to get the strongest high. The strongest that you can from THC and CBD oil. These vaporizers are also almost certainly better on the lungs than smoking raw leaf is, burning fewer random organic chemicals from leaves and also with less risk of burning your lungs.

You have to decide if your goal is to relieve anxiety or get ideas, because that determines if you want the chemical CBD oil or THC, and if you want indica or sativa breeds of weed, respectively. Smoking or eating too much sativa when you don't mean to is a huge existentially terrifying mistake, but even that can serve to relieve anxiety later simply by showing you more about how your mind works and that the world doesn't end even if you give up control fully.

When you use a wax cartridge it is crucial to be good at taking hits or else you're wasting it and only getting a placebo effect. Remember that video of Elon Musk smoking and nothing but white smoke came out? That means he did it wrong and absorbed almost nothing - he didn't hold it in. On the other hand, if you try holding in really dense, hot smoke you're going to burn the poo poo out of your lungs, cough, and gently caress your lungs up. Don't do that either. Here's what you do: Suck in weed for only a brief moment and then suck in totally clean air for the remaining 90% of your inhale. Your lungs should be full of mostly cool clean air except for the quick concentrated hit of smoke you sucked in at the beginning. It will absorb *extremely* well into your body this way and it could take you by surprise, so be warned. Try it just for one hit at first to avoid being knocked off your feet. By doing it this way your weed will last forever and you will feel it for sure. Breathe out hard enough and breathe back in soon enough to clean it all out of your lungs and prevent coughing.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Feb 14, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

do NOT jack off posted:

I am in Louisiana so lol. No local dispensaries. That being said, therapy and weed sound like the way forward. I have a lifelong case of depression, and weed and meds make it easy enough to function for now. Weed may be the next best thing until I move to NOLA

I wasn't suggesting weed to you earlier, it was a joke on your username

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zyla posted:

quick story:

girl's walking along the beach, after a big storm, and there's starfish everywhere washed up on the sands!! She starts tossing them back in the water one by one since they cant move too well.

smug dude comes up to her and says hey lady whachu doooin? dont you know you cant save em all! why bother?

girl looks at him with a smile and says

"well it matters to this one!" *tosses a star back in

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

Happy post

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have like 200 words on Twitter muted. I decided about a year ago that while I like keeping up on all the political nonsense and climate change and poo poo, I needed to engage with it on my terms.

That is a really good way to put it. Engage with it in your own terms. Stealing that.

Dreddout posted:

Have you tried edibles? You want to be careful with the dosage and only take one on a full stomach but they've helped me and I don't have intrusive thoughts about getting lung cancer.

Expensive to buy them though i make my own tinctures in a slow cooker, much cheaper

Edibles all across California got nerfed hard by the latest legalization update. They added a bunch of safety rules about keeping them hard to open, and banning high concentrations, for fear of being mistaken for candy. It used to be I could go buy a $30 brownie with *6 GRAMS* of weed in it that would either last for months or otherwise is way too strong, enough to make like a dozen or two people have a nightmarishly strong trip for a full day. Well, thanks to businesses trying to take advantage of the new laws, you can still buy brownies for $30, but now they contain .06 grams. So the cost effectiveness went down by a factor of 100. Anyway don't get dicked over by that because chances are no one will warn you, and a lot of advice still assumes the products are like they were before.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Go see the new Lego movie y'all, it's super happy and therapeutic and feels like it doesn't belong in the same world as TROMP

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Whether a psychiatrist suggests effexor sounds like a good litmus test as to whether it's time to drop them and get another, especially considering so many psychiatrists are known to be on the take from pharmaceutical companies

Cymbalta has a somewhat similar reputation

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

mekyabetsu posted:

I hate Donald Trump. I have never in my life hated anyone more than I hate Donald Trump. The chuds are right. He won. He beat me.

Yeah yeah I think we've all lost a parent this way. It sucks but don't beat yourself up over it, it's a universal experience. I started recognizing my mom's lifelong behavior as a cultist when I was 14. She's still the same, but now we have TROMP to make it more obvious. In some ways it's refreshing that the quiet gaslighting of conservatism has forgotten how to be subtle enough to blend in with rational voices, and it's currently radicalizing a lot of extra people who otherwise would never have noticed the insidiousness of conservative politics. It will take time but there will be huge effects in the next generation, even if our parents are all mentally lost forever. History will tell the story of the generational war we lived in.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone else keep a private text file of their own fuckin rad username ideas that they keep hidden from the rest of the forums hoping to use them someday? Is this healthy and normal behavior

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh poo poo yeah never take psych meds from an ER doctor, always run it by your primary first. Had that blow up in my mom's face real bad. They've got no idea about or stake in your long term situation

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chokes McGee posted:

When I woke up screaming with my wife in a headlock it was uh time to not take that anymore.

Nice username/post

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

mekyabetsu posted:

As angry as I am at my dad, the thought of losing him without resolving this wedge between us is almost too painful to think about.

You can just forget that struggle right now, come to terms with it instead. There is not a drat thing you can or will ever do about this "wedge" and it's not your fault that it's there. Short of some overwhelming Utopian communist revolution happening that's a more impressive show of strength than the fascism chuds look up to, they're just not ever gonna change their minds. They follow perceived strength and nothing else and are addicted to the idea of abuse. Pure information cannot save them. It's not your battle to win because the only tools you have will not work. Just be yourself and let him be his self. It's almost never even useful to be aware of when an individual around you has bad opinions other then as recognizing easy potential ways they can be tricked if need be.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tastykake posted:

This is terrible advice. You clearly love your dad and want to reconnect with him. It may not necessarily possible that you can convert him away from being a tormpist, but at the very least you can avoid these kind of conversations and try to have a semi-normal relationship with him.

Yo that's like exactly what I said too, what do you mean it's terrible advice

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
it's cool

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good jobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

CSPAM thanks you

We are a kind of messed up bunch and need that info quite a lot

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yep, still broken

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh yeah, brain still broken today btw

Unable to log off

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They were the one mod that enabled the Happy thread to exist troll free so yeah go with them

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
THank you!!!!!!!!

edit: Thank you!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

bob dobbs is dead posted:

back's double blind study used 75mg and 75mg again after 4 hours

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02860962

So like 5 times the normal dosage for coughing

Mackers posted:

I dont want the sum total of my life to be a painful thought that intrudes in the head of people who cared about me.

this is v hard

It won't, because you will live

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Even in spite of your ex girlfriend pooping over tomorrow which is how I read it at first

One day she was fine the next just pooped right over

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chokes McGee posted:

holy Jesus Christ on a stick this is a thing?

I just put the Wikipedia article in front of my wife, she read through the entire thing and went “yeah that’s basically exactly everything you’ve expressed to me about your problems”

so welp, thanks op, now I know what’s up!

That linked to Sensory processing sensitivity and holy poo poo that's good to know about. drat if I'm not super sensitive to car horns, light, caffeine, touch, hunger and all sorts of poo poo as of recent years.

e: Hmmm, take "Sensory processing sensitivity" and its article with a grain of salt. Looking at its talk page it appears to not have very strong academic backing at all

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Mar 10, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You ever tried Minecraft? That is a surprisingly startling game. As non-immersive as the graphics are, the gameplay surprisingly very immersive. Long moments of calm with chill spa music as you dig out tunnels into shapes or slowly peek around each corner, but every so often a creeper shows up and wrecks your poo poo by loudly blowing up you and what you're making, sometimes by sneaking up behind you and hissing. You can permanently lose your whole inventory so the stakes are high but the game can otherwise lull you into a false sense of security. It's the only game I've ever played that's actually made me scream out loud by startling me so bad. Besides that, the tension of being surrounded by monsters while you work can be pretty cool when contrasted against the chill ambiance of digging around for stuff.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
loving lol

it's pronounced pre gablin

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just try again

The odds of that happening were small in the first place

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Chokes McGee posted:

This was me yesterday. I think some of it may be gabapentin hangover but most of it is that I need my goddamn CPAP today, not next week

Gabapentin gives me anger problems later in the day if I take it early in the day

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

DrPossum posted:

Hey everyone, you may remember me from a few months ago bitching about my toxic work environment and quitting without a plan just to get away from it. I think I mentioned here that I did quit that way earlier this month which was a huge relief.

Just got a good job offer today which I'm taking so that will be my new life. It seems like a pretty good place and a real upgrade from what I had. That's my feel good story for today. :)

Happy thread material right here, great stuff

Glad to hear it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hi you all, how do I find myself a young therapist? As in, millennial.

I don't have a therapist right now, but I'm currently in crisis with some un-medicated issues and a perfect storm of life emergencies to deal with, so it's time to get one.

8 years ago I had the last therapist that I loved going to. She was a millennial, and she really helped me improve for a few times before my school said I used up all my appointments and referred me to the university hospital. With that hospital it has been nothing but really geriatric straight white men who have never thought a single leftist thought in their entire lives, and who I felt wouldn't relate enough to anything at all in my life in terms of my career, finances, or perspective.

That series of experiences stopped me from pursuing therapy for years, in spite of desperately still needing it times like now.

Currently my school coverage plan is gone and I'm on a plan provided by the State of California (Covered Ca.). I found that they have a search tool online (https://www.beaconhealthoptions.com/members/find-health-care-providers/).

I've been trying to strategically tweak those search parameters to find a better match but it's still no better than random luck. I thought I was on to something by searching for LGBT under "specialty" tags like someone had suggested upthread, for thinning out the herd of non-left-leaning straight white old man therapists from the results. I found a very promising looking woman nearby, but just called her office and no one answered, and her voicemail sounded like she was 90 years old.

What do I do :sigh:

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Aug 20, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh what's he doing Saturday

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
lmao

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tighclops posted:

I can only work part-time hours because thanks to my mangled digestive tract I'm trapped in the bathroom most of my waking hours, the only reason I'm employed is because the grocery store where I work is literally right around the corner from my parents house where I live and because I stuck it out long enough that they can't fire me as we're unionized

but I thought, well I can never move out, but I do have enough savings to add a separate entrance to my basement and hunker down and maybe make my lovely life a little less lovely. Except now I've been told to hold off on that, because my parents might decide to sell the place and move to a shack in the woods somewhere, far away from my job, or public transit or my doctor. It's been made clear to me that my needs are not a consideration in this decision.

I'm leaving out a lot, including the part where they waited nearly a week to take me to a walk-in clinic after my appendix burst in the first place, leading to a month-long hospital stay and years of complications. I'm sorry I just needed to vent because I feel like I have even less of a future than I did before. I want everyone reading this to know that I'm pulling for you.

So many stories of families like this, yet people say that we're not experiencing generational warfare

Do whatever you can to exchange being dependent on olds for being dependent on youngs, becuase the olds will gently caress you every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Time to play guess my disorder

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm someone with said sensitivity, so your two polite honks at the intersection (if it's the one outside my apartment) will have me drop whatever computer work I'm doing due to being sent flying into an involuntary rage as I obsessively think about the honk sound and the fact that someone driving was in the wrong for one full minute :smith: Might be OCD, it's getting worse and I need to get on some SSRIs or something. LA has really sucked for me for the past decade in that regard.

Things that also have the same effect: Hitting my head on anything (even very lightly), startling noises, any unpleasant surprising stimuli at all (like an inanimate object not working as intended). I get weird facial pain when it happens. Over the years I'm also increasingly sensitive to light (get migraines if there's any) and have to take these like sensory deprivation showers in a pitch black room with the water pointed at my face to get over them. Also sensitive to anything touching my lower body, which instantly gives me painful digestive spasms. Been diagnosed with nutcracker esophagitis (meaning the throat spasms itself into a corkscrew shape) during one of those episodes, which feels like a heart attack, but usually it's lower GI instead. Also super sensitive to feelings of uncleanliness and some other, mostly social, stimuli. What the gently caress

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Aug 24, 2019