Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It does make me worry about the upcoming one on switch, especially since they're elbow-dropping deeper into anime by being set in a high-school.
(Though atleast it seems like if they have different stories based on which kingdom you support, it'll all be in 1 title instead of going the pokemon route again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kuvo posted:

Why do the videos look like they went though mspaint 50 times. Upload them in 720p you moron!
Minifoo did not want to spend hundreds of dollars to send his 3DS overseas to some stranger for them to solder a VGA port to the back of it so were using a software streaming method instead. There are limitations in this, such as variable frame rate, laggy bottom screen, and video compression artifacts. While it isn't ideal I don't feel these limitations will detract from the enjoyment of the LP. And yes I tried emulation, it crashed all the time.

Huh, I actually gave it a shot.
The latest Citra (I've been playing the canary build 1215.) seems to work just fine.
I've played up to chapter 8 of the conquest campaign without any issues.

Though I can imagine that the overhead of emulating the game + streaming and recording might add issues I don't have on my end.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 21, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

As Vicas mentioned, yeah, the first 5 chapters are identical regardless of which path you're on.
If you have the special edition, or bought additional paths as dlc you get the option to skip straight to the branch point on starting a new game.

And yeah, over in conquest you essentially work to undermine the evil empire from within, which would have been a very interesting concept if written competently.
(it was not.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fedule posted:

Speaking of tension and pacing, I already don't like this games pacing. We've seen barely anything of note that establishes any of these characters. Ganon Garon is the only character we've actually been shown doing things. The families so far have just been dialogue filler. There's barely any time between us meeting Mikoto and her tragic death. None of this stuff feels like it has any weight. Now we're just, marching off to war, with nothing but our weird dragon affliction that we've instantly brought under our control and a sort of default resignation that this is just what we have to do now.

I wholeheartedly agree there, it's kind of bizarre how the part that's in all versions of the game is so short, packed, and rushed. I guess because most players are locked into a family before they even start playing, they didn't care about characterising up and making the player care much about either side before dropping into the path-exclusive content.

If Conquest/Birthright was a single title with both branches in from the start, I imagine they would have spent more part here in part1/prologue town.
More time in pittsburg to get to know the family there, and the same in japan-land, to make the choice something people might actually care about.
But it's so bizarre how if unless you bought the game + a 20?usd DLC at launch, you didn't have a choice in the matter ingame at all.

Also yeesh to the handoofs, I did not notice those either.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

So if Garon’s plan was to get Chome near the queen with the evil sword, what was his plan if Chome’s maid didn’t end up being a dragon and Chome and the sword were just lost in the bottomless pit instead?

I like to think that Garon specifically planned for the queen-icide, but in less than a day the blade got so utterly tired of Chome that it just tried to off him early when it had the chance.

(Honestly, that entire sequence would have been better if Hans had just chopped off the ropes to the extremely rickety bridge instead.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

But yeah, as Vicas pondered: They are entirely different games.
I'm not sure about Birthright, but plot and maps are pretty different.
I think revelations reused a couple of the conquest (and likely Birthright) maps in the early acts, but with different objectives and enemies.
(But I bet once I see the Birthright levels, it'll turn out that all the unfamiliar levels were from it.)

And wow, that first mission of birthright sure played itself, huh.
It seems super easy compared to revelations' and conquest's versions.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

It's a poll for picking who gets special Fire Emblem Heroes outfits so I don't think it maps 1:1 for popularity.

Seeing this, I wonder if Female Robin was more popular than Male Robin.

Looking at the popularity list: Significantly.
Female Robin #6, Male Robin #11.
Female Chome is on #10, Male Chome is uh... #70.
Though Elise (Aka the girl to the right.) is thoroughly misplaced, at #97.Compared to #10 and #24.)
(She's the least favorite of the sibling characters, though if this poll is mostly EUR/USA, then it might be because young girl characters just aren't as popular here?)

But yeah, I'm not at all surprised that the Robins beat out the Chomes, honestly.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh, so Takumi's actually the 32nd favorite, so not as bad (though still is kinda).

Amelia being in the 100's is a crime though

? Takumi:Fates is #24, #32 is 'Black Knight' From Path of Radiance.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah alrighty, I guess wonky stuff will happen when they use it mostly to determine which characters to focus on for the mobile game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fedule posted:

In Fates there aren't children

Hm? There are 19 kids in Fates, with the main difference from Awakenings being that it's the children are linked to the father, instead of the mother in most cases.

The fantasy incest eugenics simulator still went full speed ahead for this title, just like Awakenings.

e: Beaten.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 9, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I can't believe Fates is an mpreg simulator

Fire Emblem characters, like seahorses, mate for life. (And the dudes get pregnant)
Time travel anime mpreg simulator, thank you very much.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it was kind of interesting in Awakenings, since it was plot related, but it's an utterly bizarre mechanic on it's own.
But just like the weird YXX-YXXX year olds that look like young girls, they'll probably keep it around for a while more to satisfy the people that like it.

Also y'all can date Kaze if you want. (If you have homebrew so that you can install the extended same sex marriage mod / fanfiction mod.
No kids though, because the inclusion of canon same sex couples means they added parent gender checks to the paralogues/kids, unlike in Awakening. And you'd have to hex-edit one of the parents to get a kid. :pseudo:)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Both of those are extremely correct, I kind of forgot about just unlocking the paralogues, because I didn't feel like perpetually looking up which one was the correct one for which pairing, not wanting to trigger incorrect ones early. Because in Fates they'd just be a huge list to scroll through.

Also I did not want to play Fates enough to support grind multiple people to get kids anyhow in it. I did enough of that in Awakenings.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

In case it hasn't come up yet MiniFoo / Kuvo, if your pointer is over a friendly unit you can tap L to hop over to a different one, instead of needing to scroll to each unit.
(Does it also filter by characters that have actions left? Can't remember off the top of my head.)

e: maybe I should watch the entire ep before commenting, durrrrrr.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 12, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also, as part of the pair-up mechanic you can also switch between the leading character, so that the secondary character can use their action. (Or just to swap so that the slower, ferried character can defend during the enemy turn. )

So Kaze could run over to Subaki, pair up.
Subaki flies over to chest, uses switch, and then Kaze can use his action to open the chest.
All in a single turn.

While separate, as used in the end of the video, just splits them up again, but uses their action to do so. (Though this is useful if you're just explicitly ferrying a character.)

You can only use switch as a post-move/stand still action though, I think, so you can't for example switch to the faster unit, move, then switch back.

I'm pretty sure that part is still the same in Fates as in Awakening.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Also if you don't want to move absolutely everyone forward then you don't have to. Just move who you need to and bring up the menu to end your turn.

Or even just use the auto.
You can set the auto to 'rush' I think it was, at which point it'll move the units towards the closest enemies.

It's very good for situations where you've already moved the couple of units you wanted to move, but don't want to move all the rest of them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kuvo posted:

:frogsiren: side quest thingy
Ep 15 - Paralogue 1 - Tragic Start

inthesto posted:

I cannot express how awesome it is that dvac is doing matchmaking using FFT rules

Since dvac mentioned splitting up the army along gender lines:
There's no problem with people getting points with anyone outside of the optimal-dvac-approved ships, relationships only progress once you have the support conversation.

So you can have someone with multiple S-ranks ready to be activated (as might be the case with for example Chome.), but much like quantum physics, their relationship only collapses and becomes a romance once you observe it happening.

And honestly, you should just be trying to get as many points as possible, with as many people as possible, to increase the amount of conversations you have to go through.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, once you're done with Birthright you'll be dropping straight into Revelations, right?
Though I am slightly worried that that might implode DVac's shipping charts into a black hole of Anime.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh yeah, Vicas mentioned the level cap being 20.
The Fates games have an item you can use when the character is a promoted class & max level that boosts their level cap by +5. (Eternal Seal, I think it was.)
And said item spawns somewhat regularly in a max-upgraded shop. (And also a couple dlc classes and stuff have higher caps.)

So the only thing capping characters is really their stat caps, but even those can be upgraded through those statues you get in the dragonscape-mindpalace.
(You already have a level 1 statue for Chome I believe. It increases the cap of their talent-related stat. If I'm not completely misremembering, this bonus extends to all close allies if you level the statue up once, and then to all allies at level 3. )
(I thought the statues unlocked with the amount of support ranks or something, but apparently they unlock based on how many kills that character has.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Scarlet, that'll break off immediately.
e: (Though I guess it doesn't matter if she keep murder-critting anything that even dares look at him.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 20, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah wow. I assume the next video is just going to be an hour straight of S-rank support conversations, and adult babies raining from the sky, huh?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It doesn't help that doing 3 splits, with 3 different sets characters just made for a daunting amount of writing, just to cover the supports.

Male Corrin/Chome has something in the ballpark of 70k+ words written for -only- the support dialogues.
With the siblings having ~20-30k or so each on top of it.

So that's ~230k words just for Chome & Siblings, and for supports. Not in-mission dialogue or cutscenes, just support conversations.
If you included Azura, that's more words than are in Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix ( ~260k words.)
Even just with them ham handedly slapping down the tritest, most pointless writing, that's a lot to cover.

e: source: Insane people on the FE wiki have actually transcribed basically all of the game, so I just slapped that through a word counter.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also time baby #14 is also the only possible romantic lady/lady support for a female Chome. (There's also a hella creepy dude over in Conquest that fills the same role for dude/dude Chomes.)

It's very ugh.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 3, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Re: saunafucking:
I'm sure there is an event for meeting your wife/husband in the baths, the odds are just pretty low. (Though you can equip the bath-towel-on-head accessory on her to make it more likely that she'll show up in the sauna. )

There are a couple other accessories that boost how often certain characters end up in the various shops, etc. Like the jester-hat you slapped on Kaden making him more likely to lounge in the lucky ball lottery stall.

e: also on the topic of expanded shipping, there is an extended same-sex mod you could possibly install if you decide to drop into conquest or revelations.
The only downside is that you'll have to do a bit of memory editing to make the same-sex kids pop up correctly.
(aka, swap the gender of one of the participants before the proposal, then back again after you've recruited the kid.)

Because for some reason, in between Awakenings and Fates, they decided to hardcode a gender check into the game. (Possibly explicitly for the 2 same sex couples possible in the game?)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kuvo posted:

:frog: new video
Ep 59 - Paralogue 11 - A Long Grudge

mystery beans, maximum coffee storage, winner winner, burnt vegetable dinner, gently caress u dad, kid squad

going back to 2 eps a week for a bit cus of scheduling stuff so sorry if youre not getting your time-hole baby needs satisfied

The towel I was referring to to increase the chances of someone appearing in the hot springs is specifically the 'head towel', but checking the video your accessory shop is still level 2, so you still don't have access to it.

(Building levels unlock with story progress, as opposed to missions done, or number of timehole babydunks.)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, that's the face of a guy trying to, and failing to process that:
A: He has a niece
B: His niece is almost as old as her father
C: At some point, Chome had a daughter
D: His niece is many times stronger than him, even without the benefit of a legendary weapon like his
E: Chome and someone had a child together
in the split second before he's struck down.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You're in for horrible gimmick maps and the dumbest plot ever.

I vaguely remember a terrible map where it had snowed over, and you had to very very very slowly fight your way through it, while you had no idea where enemies might pop up. And you of course had to spend actions digging through the snow.

(I think you used one action to clear one tile of snow, and there were random pockets of enemies strewn about the map?)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, that would be it yeah.
Sorry, Conq + Rev just kind of gooped together as one in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I assume the DLC-Alternate route/Revelations, as opposed to the DLC-'explaining why they used the designs of Awakening characters', or DLC-'Everyone is fighiting to take a vacation so they can send a instagram-photo of their vacation to Chome'. (Or DLC-Money/Xp grinding, etc.)