Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'd bet on the very exact opposite. It's just because they both have a fully developed and usable nuclear weapons capability that everyone is going to keep the gently caress away, no matter what.

What used to happen is a thunderstorm of diplomacy from state departments around the world, coupled with concerend letters or statements at most in the UN. But now...the US state department being in the state it is, coupled with everyone else being preoccupied or divided, and modern Russia wanting the rest of the world to burn and happily selling the matches, diplomatic activity might be depressed this time.

Note that nobody would actually have done anything outside talking before either. Thats how powerful nuclear weapons are.

I'd actually expect Russia to swoop in with some grand diplomatic gesture. The only peace talks worth anything wrt Syria are headed by Russia for example (yes, the agreements are routinely violated and the exercise is to help it's ally, but that's exactly why countries do diplomacy), and Putin often shows up to shake hands with autocrats like Erdogan or MBS who are unpopular in DC. This all being on China's border means everyone is going to tread carefully.

In general though I agree that the state of the world isn't going to hell things in Kashmir very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Destruction of culture almost always leads to the ongoing destruction of the people though, its one of the reasonshy african americans, other ex-slave populations, and indigenous peoples who have gone through the meatgrinder that is colonization have waaaay more health problems then whites, as well as a higher rate of suicide.

At what point in the process do you go "well this is genocide" then? The first death? The hundredth?

Actually how the hell are they defining "the people" because that raises a million different question.

P.S its likely very specific so countries can cover their own rear end. Genocide should 100% not solely be looked at as a legal term.

Genocide gets used a lot because it seems to have maximum moral force in our society: genocide is The Worst. Well, ok, and I don't think we're interested in ranking these things, but something can be very very bad without being genocide. Even if we don't use any of the suggested terms and just talk about the mass relocation of people by force, the purposeful destruction of culture, intentionally wiping out a language, and the like. Calling these acts genocide doesn't make them worse; they're bad for what they are. Calling them genocide can have the effect of diluting the meaning of the word genocide, which I for one will try and avoid.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Are they also revoking the ban on settlement of Indians in J&K?
If yes, holy gently caress we are going to diee

Is the ban a separate law? From what I heard, it was implied that ban was included in 370, though this may be untrue.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cargo cult posted:

aren't there like several stages of escalation that happen before nuclear brinksmanship, i.e., a conventional shooting war which escalates to total war? i think indian tanks would have to be pushing on islamabad for a nuke to fly but idk

Or Islamabad is convinced India is about to, or already has launched nukes against them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

i say swears online posted:

who are india's close allies? i don't think they have much international goodwill at all, comparison to pakistan notwithstanding

I don't think they're super close with anyone, but they're on good terms with lots of countries.

The US have India an exemption for buying nuclear technology, and generally considers India to be a sort of hedge against a growing China.

Russia has often worked with India, especially on weapons stuff.

There's the Commonwealth as has been mentioned. India was also a key member of the old Non Aligned movement during the Cold War; I seem to recall them having ties with the like of Egypt.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

This was the freshest thread involving India vs. Pakistan, so I figured I'd drop a congratulations here to India for having only 341 COVID-19 cases, while Pakistan has 646.

Perhaps if someone points out to the Indian government that it is losing on points to Pakistan, they will begin testing and reporting for real and announce some serious numbers.

News sources say their reporting is now up to about 420, but just lol. A massive country of 1.2 billion, the world's second largest, bordering China, with dense and chaotic population centers. 400-ish cases. Even Thailand is reporting more cases lol.

The most impressive thing so far is that, from what I can see, no one has called India out on this in a big way. Pakistan gets a little more leeway for being Pakistan, of course. I mean nobody's yelling at Romania.

Everyone is too worried about whats happening to themselves to care that some other place is being dumb.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

India announced yesterday a "total lockdown" of the entire country for 21 days.

I'm no expert, but I have spent a few weeks in different parts of India. My impression is that they are not, as a state, capable of doing this. Their cities are so dense and chaotic. The countryside so poor. The state doesn't have a ton of money to throw at problems, let alone one on this scale. And I don't believe they have the organizational capacity to make up for the lack of funds.

It uh could get a bit rough.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Conditions aren't nearly that deadly where the fighting took place, but the hypothermia claims make sense if they were a result of people falling into the river during the fighting.

Are there any details about where exactly the exchange took place?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, deescalation treaties mean they literally aren't given guns.

I find this difficult to believe, though not more difficult than 1800 people fighting and nobody shooting a bullet.

Once one side gets some shields and re-invents the phalanx its all over.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53089037

quote:

An image has emerged showing a crude weapon purportedly used by Chinese forces in the fatal brawl along China's disputed border with India on Monday.

quote:

Defence analyst Ajai Shukla, who first tweeted the image, described the use of such weapons as "barbarism". The absence of firearms in the clash dates back to a 1996 agreement between the two sides that guns and explosives be prohibited along the disputed stretch of the border, to deter escalation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is this concentrated in a few urban areas like Delhi and Mubai, or is it nationwide? Someone mentioned air quality as a possible comorbidity, and having visited Delhi during the burning season I can certainly see that being a factor.

Whatever the exact mix of causes, the graphs are pretty shocking:

I've stared at countless graphs since this thing started and its rare to see such a crazy spike, especially a year into it where basically everywhere has gone through at least one wave of the thing.

I think blaming the BJP and Modi for this is at least partly correct, but I think there's a big set of unknowns here as well. Different regions of the world spike at different times. Sometimes this seems related to some policy or a big event, and other times it seems totally random. Much of the US has no restrictions at all anymore, and yet Canada which has been cautious and successful since the very start has a higher infection rate than the states. Coming back to India, all those political rallies are obviously perfect places to spread a virus. And yet its odd this spike didn't happen sooner. India's initial lockdown was largely bungled, with huge numbers of migrant workers moving across the country. That's also a great way to spread a virus and yet it somehow didn't take hold. The virus seems to ebb and flow on its own almost as much as its influenced by human healthcare. Lets hope it gives India a break now, because Modi doesn't seem like he's going to fix anything.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

AFAIK there has never been a single super spreader event caused by an outdoor event and not, for example, people mingling afterwards in the White House. So unless Modi was holding indoor events, this should be disregarded.

I haven't come across any either. A study I found looking for outside spread to 3 or more people found no examples, just one example (in China I think) of a small scale spread outside. Still, if you have a tightly packed crowd where say 5% of people are positive then some amount of spread there is very likely. Its just not spreading it to the entire crowd, only those standing adjacent to those who are infectious.

quote:

The missing factor is superspreader luck. For example, a single member of a South Korean cult was directly responsible for over 5000 infections. Most people will infect just one or two people, but every so often a really friendly flight attendant who loves karaoke gets infected and spends two weeks infecting everyone around them.

I think you're right on this point as well. There could also be genetic elements here too. Maybe people in India had some sort of resistance initially but do not have resistance to the variants seen there. That's pure speculation of course.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, India itself seems to be providing most of the data right now on how large, unmasked, tightly-packed outdoor gatherings can spread COVID-19. The statistics from West Bengal seem to paint a pretty clear picture.

It isn't clear, nor complete. Many US states have few/no restrictions in place and yet their cases are quite low. Now is not the first time India had a lot of people together outside in the past year. I'm not saying gatherings like this played no role, merely that there's other factors at play, some of which seem to be invisible. Don't be surprised if cases decrease without a change in policy, or if they remain high even with drastic measures taken.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flayer posted:

It's crazy how what's happening in India has been reduced to a minor story in the press in the last few days, all of them parroting the official figures. It's diabolical how millions of deaths are going to be swept under the rug while almost nothing is done at a government level to combat it.

In the UK for example (where I'm sure there has been some fudging but generally seems fairly accurate) cases and deaths per day peaked at around 60,000 and 2,000 respectively in the most recent lockdown period. This in a country where hospitals were never overwhelmed and seemed on the whole to be within capacity. India has officially reported a high of around 400,000 daily new cases at its peak (very likely a vast under reporting of the real situation) which would lead to around 14,000 deaths based on the UK model. However India's healthcare system appears to have completely collapsed, testing isn't even vaguely close to being adequate and the strains of Covid19 detected in India seem to be the most virulent yet. I can't see the daily number of fatal cases being any lower than 50k a day at the moment and over the last week or so and possibly much higher.

I guess it is boom time for oxygen suppliers though.

I don't think it's fair to look at Delhi and assume the entire country of over one billion people are in the same boat. We have to look at this based on data, not our guts. If we don't trust official numbers (reasonable) then look for alternate sources, things like excess deaths.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Local and independent Indian journalists on Twitter are all saying that Delhi is better off than most of the country, and rural India is basically hell on Earth. The capital is unrepresentative, but not in the way you seem to be thinking.

Its good that Indian journalists are reporting on how bad things are even as the government seeks to keep people quiet.
What I'm saying is that in a pandemic, and especially in a country as enormous and diverse as India, we must have data to make judgments. Statistical data, because anecdotes simply don't work on this scale. So, I'd very much like to see these, if anyone has such sources.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

This kind of data is difficult to produce even in relatively unapocalyptic times as 2014, according to the article below. If half of deaths aren’t counted (again, during normal times) and if producing estimates of 1/56th of annual deaths took 15 years of interviews, what hope is there for obtaining excess deaths data, as you propose? Should we just not discuss this at all until then, however long it might take?

No, of course we should discuss it, and encourage action. There's clearly a dire emergency. I just see people speculating numerically, and making very broad generalizations. Here's two articles that make some cursory attempts.

quote:

More disturbing still, India’s soaring official covid-19 count represents the tip of an iceberg. Because of low testing rates outside big cities, say epidemiologists, the actual caseload could be anything from ten to 30 times higher. A national serological survey conducted in December found 21% of Indians were carrying covid-19 antibodies, compared with an official tally which suggested that only about 1% of India’s people had been infected by that time. More recently, local journalists who have cross-checked hospital and funeral records against government numbers have found similar, gaping discrepancies across the country. One report revealed that in the second week of April, when authorities in Vadodara, a city in the state of Gujarat, announced seven covid-19 deaths, the count in two hospitals alone was more than 300. This suggests that India could be facing not 2,000 deaths a day, as the current official count shows, but something much higher.
https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2021/04/28/are-indian-statistics-understating-covid-19-cases-and-deaths

quote:

Fully one-third of tests are coming back positive in Delhi, and 21% across India as a whole, proportions high enough to convince epidemiologists that more testing would reveal many more cases. Sero-surveys, blood tests which measure how many people have been infected with covid in the past, reveal a huge gap, too. A national one in December, when India was reporting a cumulative total of 10m covid-19 cases, suggested that the real number was closer to 300m. And journalists from across India investigating local records from crematoria, cemeteries and even newspaper obituaries have found many times more covid-19 deaths than appear in official health bulletins.
https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2021/04/28/are-indian-statistics-understating-covid-19-cases-and-deaths

Obviously this data is very incomplete, but they're using the methods I'm extolling. If you can't trust the official figures, try to use other data to fill in the blanks. A journalist that says "the situation in this hospital is dire" paints a picture, but one that goes over the hospital's paperwork and finds differences with government numbers is, to me, more valuable, as this sort of data can be compared and contrasted to other data sets. For an individual journalist its hard to make these data comparisons, but newspapers have that capacity. Indian media doesn't seem terribly interested in doing this, so perhaps foreign media or NGOs can fill the gap. The sort of study you linked to is valuable: the lesson there is that studies like it should be encouraged and expedited, and their results listened to. I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't talk about it until we know everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This editorial from the Lancet is excoriating India's handling of covid:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01052-7/fulltext