Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I can't wait to see cool new characters as well, and possibly cool new locations to explore.

I also can't wait for the starter evos to be revealed so I can witness 30 pages of goons crying about their favorite starter being ruined now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way
:agreed:

I never understood the hard-on people had for non-linearity. It doesn't magically make a game better, and Gamefreak's shown they're not the best at balancing games to stay fun while being non-linear. I'd rather have a game balanced to be fun and have to do things linearly than have a boring mess that's non-linear.

Ariong posted:

What did it look like before?
Not yellow and blue:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Trumpets got toned down because Gamefreak hates fun.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I can't wait for SwSh to come out so I can watch 99% of the people who were complaining about it/claiming they won't buy it/etc pre-release happily playing it & pretending their whining never happened, just like they do every other time there's Gamer Rage about some dumb poo poo in (insert game series here).

Bonus points once the followup to SwSh comes out and people realize that Gamefreak really isn't deleting Qwilfish forever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for the Jojo memes, Loss, and suggestive positioning
Don't forget that people get to pick numbers for themselves too, so all of that will be accompanied by 69/420/666 on the bottom.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ZHamburglar posted:

Reading the people over on Reddit freak out because this game isn't the exact same as other Pokemon games is pretty funny. There seems to be a bunch of meltdowns happening because every Pokemon ever isn't including regardless of all the massive overhaul of the game and universe.
The best part is seeing that contrasted with posts complaining that Gamefreak sucks because they never change anything and need to change up the games more. And remembering the wailing and gnashing of teeth from past gens each time Gamefreak changed anything, promptly followed by the fanbase getting over it. :allears:

The second best part is sitting here all "you're complaining because not being able to transfer Caterpie to one game means it's DELETED FOREVER? You people would have gone absolutely apocalyptic if any of you were even alive during the transition from Gen 2 to Gen 3."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Flopsy posted:

It'd help if the pokemon they chose to leave out made loving sense by their own reasoning (the pokemon didn't want to go). There's no swans in England? No bulldogs? What?
It's not like GF has ever cared about Pokemon remotely matching what you can find in the area before. (Beyond one or two hyper-stereotypical mons for the non-Japan places, like Unova's :911:-rear end eagle and Kalos' poodle)

Unless New York got overrun by zebras and sarcophogi when I wasn't looking.

Zuzie posted:

Heck, its not even the biggest one in Pokemon... I was around when it was revealed that you couldn't transfer anything from Gen 2 to Gen 3. It was a real good time to drop the series entirely. We were mostly stuck with the 202 Pokémon in the Hoenn dex, 135 of them were brand new creatures and only a handful were from Gen 1 and 2. Granted it was revealed via hacking that the rest were programmed in anyway but there was no way to get them in Ruby and Sapphire. We would have to wait until Colosseum and then Fire Red and Leaf Green in order to get the remaining monsters.

Then there's the switch from the 4Kids dub to the in-house dub. People still pine for Veronica Taylor to voice Ash again. Or Misty to return as a main character.

Another one is that in China, they changed the names of 100 Pokémon, which would rub people the wrong way if it were to happen here.
I don't think there's ever been a gen where the fanbase wasn't freaking out over something Gamefreak did that's going to ruin pokemon forever. It makes it hard to take any of it seriously.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Flopsy posted:

I think was maybe show a modicum of patience when someone asks you to wait for a day. Like...that's all he had to do...
Also "kids, don't listen when the adults keep telling you it's okay and they got this and you shouldn't worry about it, because they're actually morons", which is a timeless message.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Hours of playtime spent battling Pokemon and exploring Galar: 30
Hours of playtime spent fiddling with outfits and my league card: 20

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Why am I not surprised about this.

https://twitter.com/LoganwWi781/status/1268292782633955329

Luckily he's immediately dunked on so hard he's probably in the earth's core by now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Playing Crown Tundra finally and goddamn I forgot how much I hate that repels basically don't do anything now. No (lower level than your lead pokemon) encounters should mean no encounters, not 'oops you ran into the pokemon before it could get out of your way so gently caress you, you have to deal with it anyway.' It was managable through most of the game because of how the routes are constructed, but the Tundra makes trying to avoid Pokemon incredibly aggrevating because of the twisty layouts & how hard it is to avoid the areas Pokemon pop up in. The Sharpedos in Isle of Armor were annoying too, but at least those were restricted to the water.

I don't give a flying gently caress if Pokemon show up on the overworld or not, but I hope that the next gen makes repels useful again. I spent gens 1-7 having them on basically 24/7 after the first badge & I doubt I'd have enjoyed any of them as much if I had to gently caress around with wild enounters all the time. Busywork random encounters are why I could never get into most JRPGs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Everything about the wild area was extremely half-baked, and raids are the most obvious thing to point to there. "So we're adding multiplayer raids, but don't worry, AI trainers can fill in if you can't find someone or just don't want to play online. Also the AI is completely incapable of dealing with raids beyond the low-star ones, which can't spawn at all after so many badges. But that's fine, because you'll always be able to find other players to play with, right? Also every fight is on a timer so if you don't get to the end of it fast enough you just wasted your time for no reward."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

"open world pokemon game of your dreams" isn't really something i crave because the only open world games i've enjoyed are ones with really fun movement options rather than "you can wander around and do stuff in any order", and a pokemon game is never going to have good movement. ill just be playing S/V like a quasi-linear game where i bounce around between the different plots probably. the lack of level scaling also points toward this being at least somewhat ecouraged
:same:

My assumption is that the open world stuff will be a sidegrade at best, since pokemon has always done best with a more guided experience and doesn't really have the sorts of features that are noticably more fun in an open world. (but I feel like that with most games - if I wanted an open sandbox, I'd play an actual sandbox game, not a game that only tacked on ~open world~ because it's a big marketing buzzword right now)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Perfect Potato posted:

I've seen a lot of pirates and early retail players say that the core game is one of the best 3d campaigns so that's something at least
:getin:

(general spoilers since idk what people even care about spoilering anymore)

The leaks have actually done a lot to alleviate my concerns about S/V. Open world, but instead of (inevitably bad) level scaling they just give you difficulty warnings and let you go wherever. My other big concern with open world was that they might have been lazy about the actual campaign as a result, but they apparently weren't.

My main complaints from what I've read are trivial stuff (why remove set battle style :negative:) and of course a lack of fashion. But I'm here to just play some drat pokemon and it sounds like these games will continue to be just fine for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

An Actual Princess posted:

not that I’ve seen, they’re just not very smart. I’ve only done up to three star battles though and from what I understand they go higher
Is it like SwSh where lower level raids effectively disappear after a certain point? Because that demolished any interest I had in doing them (since getting humans to raid with you is a crapshoot and the ai is terrible).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

So apparently the whole Abra-Kadabra-Alakazam line is completely unavailable in SV? I mean it'll honestly be nice to be forced into not using a team of 4+ Gen 1's (still the best Mons imo, though I haven't actually played one of these since Gen II, most mons since then look bizarre) but it feels pretty lame that you can't even trade them in.
Yeah, that's a thing as of last gen, where "dexit" was a huge thing and people got Real loving Mad that you couldn't transfer literally every single pokemon into SwSh at release. It got (mostly? I didn't actually pay much attention because I basically only transfer old mons into new games for dex completion) reversed later with patches/etc, and I'd assume similar will happen here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Well that is good to know, why is it so much easier?
1)EXP share is permanently on, so you don't even have to bother switching the new party member in and out.
2)Many of the recent games have used a mechanic where you get more xp the lower level a mon is relative to the opponent. I'm not sure if SV do but I would assume so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Lux Animus posted:

back onto my rant, it's like they took the best idea from PLA: open world, then made a QoL decision to put all travel options onto one single poké-mount (a box Legendary too, woohoo), and then took out the whole fun bit of being able to catch pokemon in the open world via "Safari-zone-like mechanics" as opposed to inside a slow, clunky combat menu with transitions.
As someone who skipped PLA because all the changes to the catch system sounded like awkward busywork, I'm glad they're not being ported into the main games. (I skipped Let's Go for similar reasons and was similarly glad the capture gimmick was just for them)

I'm probably biased because my ideal amount of interaction with capture mechanics is "press button for immediate catch", though. I don't give a gently caress about lame attempts to make it "engaging ", I just want to catch a drat pokemon and move on with my game.