Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going to choose one of the starters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regardless of marketing, without interoperability it's pretty misleading to call it a mainline game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

STAB means "Same Type Attack Bonus." You may remember noticing or being told in-game that when a pokemon uses an attack that is the same type as (either of) its own, it does 50% more damage than if the attack were of a different (but equally effective) type. Most pokemon should have an attack that they get STAB with, because much of the time the bonus will make it their strongest attacking move.

The most-used English-language resource for serious battling is the references and community at Smogon. Be critical, however, as a lot of the analysis on that site pertains to the particular set of house rules that they use when playing on the unofficial battle simulator Pokemon Showdown, and a lot of the advice given is very specific to the metagame that has arisen from that format.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

idk either of them

N, a recurring sympathetic antagonist from Black and White, and Elesa, a gym leader from Black and White.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

give us Gorochu you cowards

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Team Skull took over Po Town and made it their base, though whether they actually chased out the prior residents or they just abandoned the place is unclear. They got away with it because Nanu, who, as a Kahuna and a cop besides, would ordinarily have been tasked with kicking them out, let them, either out of sympathy or apathy. I don't think there's any clue given about why the place is built like a fortress.

In addition to the abuse, Guzma never won anything as a child. His old room in his parents' house is full of second- and third-place trophies. He very badly wanted to be a captain, and despite his strength failed to become one. I think he felt that was his last shot at being accepted by society for the only thing he was ever good at, and he turned to crime out of resentment for the unfairness of it all. This was inspirational to other people who washed out of the trials, who started following him and formed Team Skull.

Plumeria, who feels sorry for them, was certainly instrumental as well, although she herself doesn't seem to have failed the trial; she's got a Z-Crystal as well, after all. The imagery with her is fairly consistent that she's different from the rest of Team Skull. She's got the only tidy room in the hideout, for instance.

Team Skull does commit crimes for money, mostly kidnapping, and as far as mainstream society is concerned that's all they're about. But for its members it's a community that supports them in rejecting the expectations that society placed on them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Beldum line is the most robotic pokemon, followed closely by the Golett line and Magearna, but Zygarde-Complete is the most super robotic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As long as I still know every pokemon, I will never be old.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope they make it so you can get Meltan and Melmetal in the base games without having to play Pokemon Go, a game which I dislike.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

kinda seems like the show is good whenever it gets posted in here???

maybe so but what about at other times

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dizz posted:

good. all bad pokemon should be banned forever

I agree, no pokemon should be banned

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Hey, bout to play Ultra Moon for the first time.
Which starter is the least useful for completing the game?
I like being forced to use caught Pokemon. I realized the reason I thought Pokemon was boring was because I kept accidentally picking starters that carried me through the game (looking at you Swampert, soloing the entire elite four and champion)

Just box your starter. It's fine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't really know what friend safari is :downs:. I have X but I've put more play time in to my OR.

Friend Safari is a post-game activity in X and Y that was the main way without trading or banking to get pokemon that weren't in the Kalos regional dex.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

(checks) Huh, you're right, no Return! That's a weird choose on Gamefreaks part, but then they've done weirder things before.

I wonder why they left it out. What's the point of no Return?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The English word for "Gusokumusha" is "Golisopod."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

The English name more or less cuts out the fact it's also based on a samurai, so not really. That's why it ends in "musha" instead of "mushi".

Correct, the English word and the Japanese word do have different etymology. Because they are in unrelated languages.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Look, you know what I mean, and I know what you mean. I'm not gonna draw this out further. The American Pokemon names are no more translations of their Japanese names than "donut" is the english word for "rice ball". Well, no, that's not fair, they're not as stupid, but I digress.

I'll come right out and say it, then: the subtitles should be localizations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Let's say I give in to madness and try to breed some Pokémon with good IVs. How do I even know what IVs my new hatches have? Don't the games go out of their way to avoid letting you know?

In gen 7, there's an NPC who gives you the ability to see whether a pokemon's IVs are perfect, good, bad, etc. You can't see the exact value, but if you're trying for perfection, it's enough. You need to hatch a certain number of eggs and then talk to this dude at the Battle Tree.

If that all sounds like a hassle, you can use Hyper Training instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most of the time when you save the world you do it quickly enough that nobody even realizes it was in danger.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Alolan Marowak and Raichu in Gen 7.

And Exeggutor.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please choose the best fifty episodes of the anime, and then up to fifty more that provide necessary context, and post them in chronological order. I will, however, still not watch them. Thank you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gruckles posted:

the evolution of dunsparce is dunplentiful

adundant

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

The thing with Cosmoem (and Celesteela's) weight is they're at 999.99 in the dex. Is that their weight or have they just exceeded the display?

Cosmoem could be 100 000kg for all we know.

There are pokemon with heavier listed weights.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Alright, perhaps "humanoid" is a bit of a stretch, but designs where the Pokemon appear to be wearing clothes had its roots as far back as Gen 3 and only became more and more obvious.

Gen 5 has a biped evolve into a quadruped.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please enumerate the fifty best episodes of the anime, plus up to fifty additional ones that establish necessary context for the good ones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would wonder how they handle the boosts from candy when importing to Sword and Shield.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nasgate posted:

What do I do with Avalugg? I've decided I want his silly looking rear end on my team.

I have had success with this kind of loadout:

Sturdy, holding a Rocky Helmet. Maximize HP and Defense; doesn't matter much whether you go with Relaxed, Impish, or Lax for the nature. It's a fairly involved breeding chain to give it Mirror Coat, but that plus Recover, Avalanche, and another move that fits well on your team (Earthquake gives you good coverage) makes a moveset it can use. The basic concept is that against a physical attacker you let the Rocky Helmet do most of the work and alternate between topping yourself off with Recover and punishing contact hits with Avalanche; the opponent will naturally want to switch to a special attacker, so if you predict the switch and have full health when they try to one-shot you with literally any special move, you'll survive it with Sturdy and take them out with an enormous Mirror Coat counterattack.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Death to gacha.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Another reason Dynamaxing is lamer than megas is that it will only work for specific battles rather than something you can do anywhere.

Where do you get that impression?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hiring enough people to model and animate that many characters in that little time is difficult and, for some companies, existentially risky. Perhaps they decided not to take the risk of growing that fast. I could respect the decision if the alternative were massive crunch.

I have a hunch that something was lost in translation, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

eonwe posted:

So just so I understand, basically the only pokemon you can get in Sword/Shield are the ones from Sword/Shield and the ones imported from Pokemon Lets Go, is that right?

No, that's not quite it.

You can only move a pokemon from Pokemon Home to Sword and Shield if that species of pokemon is programmed to exist in Sword and Shield. It doesn't matter where you caught it. We know that Pikachu can be found in Galar, for instance, so if you caught a Pikachu in Leaf Green, you could transfer it up through various generations and into Pokemon Home and move it to Shield, and it would work just the same as transferring a Pikachu from Let's Go Eevee. But if you can't catch Drowzee in Sword or Shield (note that I don't know if Drowzee is available or not, it's just a hypothetical examplke), then you wouldn't be able to transfer one to Sword or Shield even if you caught that Drowzee in Let's Go Eevee.

Assuming what we've heard is accurate and doesn't change, of course.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I get that they can't keep expanding the game forever, but they pretty much announced it in the worst possible way. Three weeks after talking about how using the same pokemon across multiple games is a core part of the franchise's appeal, they announce that some pokemon cannot be used in the newest one - and they don't say anything about possible future support, nor do they mention which ones are going to become unsupported. So everybody's wondering, worrying, about whether their favorites (every pokemon is somebody's favorite) are just going to be banished from the series forever. It really harms the collection aspect of these games. With that possibility looming overhead, it's hard to be enthusiastic about the new stuff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People are upset about the dropped support for some pokemon because they feel, justifiably, like they have lost something they were attached to. It's a genuine grief response.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farecoal posted:

why does whismur have a butthole

It's an audio cable port.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Making video games is difficult and expensive. But they've said it's not forever, so that's closure enough for me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We'll each have to come to terms with this disappointment in our own ways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Most of the Gen V evolution levels are just fine, as designed for their appearance in BW1. Pokemon like Pawniard are caught close enough to their evolution levels to make things reasonable. Hydreigon is the most extreme example but given that you don't get it until Victory Road, you're not supposed to have evolved it before the Elite 4, it was designed for post-game. Weird level ranges like this were the sort of thing they could experiment with because of BW1's isolated pool, the problems only arise because they were thrown back in with the rest without tweaking for the lack of context.

Incidentally, this is most likely to be the "balance" that they were talking about when it comes to fitting older pokemon into the new generation. It takes design work to make changes to move lists, evolution levels, etc., and if skipping a generation for some means more capacity for integrating others into the game, that's a reasonable trade-off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Ruby is my favorite Pokémon game. Ask me anything.

Why not Sapphire?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are all the Alolan gen 1 Pokemon in Let’s Go?

Yes, but you have to trade for 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Just to be clear, if I want to move my Pokemon from Platinum and Soul Silver up to bank, I need to finish Pokemon Black/White, right?

You'll need to get to postgame, yes.