Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I vastly prefer The Terminator over Terminator 2, although like many others I was the other way on my opinion as a kid. Don't get me wrong, T2 is still objectively awesome and the special effects are so well done that they manage to look pretty drat good even today, so I can't knock it on its production values or anything like that, but as I got older the T-1000 just started feeling "cheap" as an antagonist because it never really took damage and (nowadays to me) feels a bit "videogamey.". The original T-800 is terrifying because of how relentless it is regardless of what damage it's taking (tanking!), so even when it's literally in pieces and only just capable of moving under its own power it will still try to kill you by whatever means possible.

T-1000 just hits the reset button and wags his finger (okay that's still cool).

Anyway, "you're terminated fucker!" is one of my favourite one-liners.

I agree. While T2 is a much louder, more polished production, Terminator is still really, really good. It starts off as a murder mystery that hits the gas pretty quick and never lets up. The T-800 'feels' more grounded, if that makes any sense.

"I'll be back" still gives me chills. It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Owlbear Camus posted:

yeah getting hudson to name check sa rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1OhtQQRik

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Linux Pirate posted:

More about Paul Verhoeven as a director and his over the top style, and how well that would/wouldn't fit in the Alien universe. Not a comparison of Robocop, SST, and Alien as films

Agreed. To flip the tables, Robocop would have been a slow burn and missing much of its bite if Ridley Scott had directed it. Different directors create different visions.

Alien is goddamn near perfect as a horror movie

Aliens one of the best action movies ever made

Robocop is loving amazing

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

Thank you for this. Purchased. The Sulaco foldout is loving awesome.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Alien Isolation is imo the most effective horror games ever made because it's an entire game of that feeling, at least the first time through.

edit: brainfarted and said it was a movie, lol

Alien Isolation is one of the few games that I've actually played to completion. It's so good that it's supplanted System Shock 2 as my favorite horror game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Of all the horror games I've played (starting back in the PS1 Silent Hill / Resident Evil days), A:I is the only one where I've had to stop and take breaks to chill out.

It really sells the helplessness and panic of being a small, squishy human, and trying to survive against this fast, relentless, unstoppable monster.

Alien Isolation is my new favorite survival horror game, replacing the former heavyweight champion, System Shock 2.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"

Vasquez drops down from doing chin ups, knocking Hudson to the floor and proceeds to have her way with him.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

In 1986 I was a little too young to see R-Rated movies, so I 'accidentally' strolled into the theater that was playing Aliens.

Holy loving poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Jay_Zombie posted:

Are we back to horneyposting? Because I used up all my good material last time.

You are just dehydrated. Don't worry, it'll cum back

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

My dad (RIP) would always say "squint one eye" at titty scenes.

I am stealing this.

Out of respect, of course

But mostly because it's amazing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Like that Robocop remake. Admit it you had straight-up forgotten that they remade Robocop until you read this.

holy poo poo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

PipHelix, as a former STEMlord, I enjoyed your teardown because I was on my way to being that guy before I learned to stop taking myself so seriously.

I have a good reading voice and I've wanted to record it for posterity. When I have a moment, I'll drop it onto Soundcloud for your enjoyment.

It's too bad all the pubs are closed, because it sounds like you could use a pint or two.

Take care.

"I like to keep this for close encounters"

Done: https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/mike-drop

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 7, 2020

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I don't finish many games but I was actually a little sad when I reached the end of Alien Isolation. The sequel lacks that immersion because it's on my phone, but it's still kind of fun.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Alien is the better horror movie.

Aliens is the better action movie.

Fight me.

If I'm reading the room correctly, you are preaching to the choir, including myself.

Both movies are among my favorites, for very different reasons.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I started experimenting once I ran out of shotgun shells and figured out stun baton + melee can gently caress them up real nice if you do it right. SO that was cool to figure out at least. I'm trying to remember to use my entire arsenal this playthrough.

But man, fuuuuucccckkk that space mall level or whatever it's called when you first "ditch" the alien after you get through the airlock part.

That map is a loving mess. So many rooms and hallways look exactly the same and the single tiny areas that do actually branch out are real easy to miss. There are shuttered doors that you can't tell if they open or not without walking right up to them and even then the environment they reveal looks exactly the same as the last place you were in. Vents lead you around in a circle to a previous area.

I've been loving around with this level for 2.5 hours now. I don't like it.

Hey, I was the same way when I played the game for the first time; lost, a little frustrated and kind of bored. But, after I came back to it a few weeks later, I was loving hooked and finished the whole thing. Once you get your bearings, it really is a fantastic game.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

This game really needs a sequel or some way to make it into a franchise.

I’m playing Alien Blackout right now on my iPad. It’s available for Android, too.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was watching a YouTube clip & there was an ad for some VPN, and from that I learned that apparently Canadian Disney+ has the Fox movies like Aliens.

ftfy

e: looks like it's the original theatrical release. The original Predator is available as well.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 1, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

its bizarre, theyve got all the alien movies and theyre all janky and the sound mix sucks and it loving rules

Aliens sounds fine on my Sennheisers. Maybe it's the 5.1 soundtrack.

e: 5.1 sounds fine too, at least on Aliens. The dropship sequence is always a great test for my bass.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 1, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i almost poo poo my pants playing Alien Isolation, wearing my Sennheisers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Robocop and Starship Troopers are still shockingly relevant in 2021. Paul Verhoeven is the modern day version of Jonathan Swift.

e:i picked up Alien 40th Anniversary 4K for twenty bucks today at my local Best Buy.

Did you know that movies with lots of computer generated special effects are actually filmed and rendered at 2K and then upscaled to 4k, but older movies shot on 35 mm can be digitized up to 8k?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 11, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

the film grain in Alien 4K on my 65 inch Samsung at 24 frames per second looks loving amazing. i love this film so much.

e:i love all the weird little twitches that Ian Holm adds to Ash. He was so loving creepy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There is a better universe where Spielberg looked at the screenplay for "Ready Player One," called Verhoeven, and we got a loving masterpiece of mean-spiritedness.

Verhoeven is never actually mean spirited. I will die on the hill that he is simply the modern day Jonathan Swift.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

UHD really shines for movies that were made before the mid 90's, and the Alien UHD is beautiful.

I will sorta agree that Blu-ray is "good enough" for most circumstances, and for the most part I'm not likely to upgrade from a Blu-ray to a UHD.

Where the format does shine is it's depth of colors. I'd say it's the closest to seeing a movie in the theater. As a bonus the people releasing the catalog titles, for the most part, have learned that the people buying UHDs want an authentic picture, so they're not DNRing everything into wax, and you get all that wonderful film grain.

Seriously, watch the opening of The Shining on 4k tv with UHD/Dolby Vision and tell me it doesn't look jaw dropping.

Absolutely agree. Alien, Ghostbusters, 2001, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. all look absolutely amazing on a good HDR TV with 24 frames per second playback.

Newer movies with tons of computer graphics are rendered in 2K and then upscaled to 4K, which is why John Wick is true UHD, but John Wick 2 and 3 are 2K, upscaled to UHD.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

all i want for Christmas is the 4K UHD disk release of Aliens.

My 4K Samsung drops to 24 frames per second playing Alien and it is absolutely amazing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i picked up Terminator:Resistance for half price on Steam and I'm really enjoying it.

my only nitpick, and it's fairly minor, is how the T-800's sometimes spawn into the Hospital level seemingly out of nowhere in Terminator Vision mode.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If there are advanced aliens aware of us, it would be in their best interest to make sure we never got off this rock

i like to think that our solar system was originally a galactic penal colony for various life forms.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Alien Isolation runs surprisingly well on my 2019 iPad Air 3

e:lol,it chews through battery life, well, like a starving xenomorph

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 18, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/user-7104377...=social_sharing

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

in 1986, my brothers and i snuck into the theater to watch Aliens because we were too young to watch an R rated movie.

holy poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Guys, guys, guys, you are being way too hard on Burke. It was just a bad call, Ripley. A bad call.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Watching Blade Runner Final Cut in 4K.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've uh...... I've never seen Blade Runner. :ohdear:

Highly recommended. Ridley Scott is at the top of his game with this movie.

E:The cinematography is loving amazing. It’s actually hard to believe this movie is forty years old.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 15, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

Just a heads up - Prey releases tomorrow on Disney+, at GMT +13:00 if you've got a VPN.

Or if you are Canadian. Disney seems to release a few thing here first. It is a mystery why.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the first two originals but definitely a comfortable third place.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I finished Alien Isolation while wearing Sennheiser studio headphones.

It’ll be awhile before I’m calm enough to replay it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

As an exercise for my students, I've had them shoot a scene that can be recreated by 3 people (1 to shoot, 2 to act). One of the choices was the scene in Terminator where Kyle Reese explains what a Terminator is to Sarah Connor.

It's actually perfect for seeing who can take an inherently goofy idea and actually sell its seriousness.

FTFY, you creepy weird.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

how in the hell do some people still not understand that Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is satire?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

^^basically echoing you

Verhoeven is a goddamn genius, it totally works as a solid action movie if ur dumn

"would you like to know more?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Because its form is one of action film, which are pretty much fascist propaganda.

Aliens would be called extremely subversive by today's standards, a movie which was basically James Cameron at the very top of his A game.