Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Genesplicer posted:

The fun part about the Sassy Latina, Vasquez, was that the actress, Jenette Goldstien, was a favorite of Cameron's. She played Vasquez in "Aliens", Janelle, John Connor's foster mother in "Terminator 2", and the Irish mother with the small children in "Titanic".

Also the joke they make about her thinking they meant illegal aliens was real. She auditioned for the movie thinking it was about illegal aliens.

quote:

I had seen Alien, but I had no idea this was a sequel. It had been so long ago, it didn’t even occur to me. I thought it was about actual aliens, you know, immigrants to a country. I was wondering why they wanted Americans. I figured the movie was about lots of different immigrants to England.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quote:

Goldstein had studied acting in California and New York, but while in New York, she met and fell in love with a British man. They got married and settled in England, where Goldstein attended drama school. Three years later, she had done a number of different theater (or should I say theatre) production in England, but did not have an agent. In a local trade, she saw the following notice, "Genuine American actors, British Equity, for feature film Aliens, 20th Century Fox."

Since Goldstein didn't have an agent, that was all the information that she had to go on. While she had seen the film "Alien," she did not know that they were doing a sequel, so she figured that it was for a film about immigration. She told Starlog:

quote:

“I had seen Alien, but I had no idea this was a sequel. It had been so long ago, it didn’t even occur to me. I thought it was about actual aliens, you know, immigrants to a country. I was wondering why they wanted Americans. I figured the movie was about lots of different immigrants to England.”

So she showed up at the audition wearing "high heels and lots of makeup, and I had waist-length hair." She figured out that something was way off when everyone else was wearing army fatigues. It was when she went in read and saw posters for "The Terminator" that she knew that she was really in trouble. In a brilliant twist of fate, though, the nice blouse that she was wearing happened to be sleeveless, which showed off Goldstein's arms. She had taken up bodybuilding recently and it showed in her arms.

She later recalled, "'She said, ‘Are you an actress or a bodybuilder?’” Goldstein laughs. “I was a gymnast. I just happened to be in the best shape of my life.'"

So they agreed to see her again, only this time she wore army boots and pulled her hair back and everything and eventually, she got the role.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No. Have you?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah I mean the main antagonist being a corporation who wants to somehow harness the power of the alien as a weapon is kind of strange if you really focus on it. Like, of course their hubris in trying to control the uncontrollable gets their representatives killed but also causes a lot of havoc for innocent people to make sure we know they're evil.

But how could you monetize the alien? Or is the idea that if Yutani had actual control over them, they could just nakedly obtain power and sic a xenomorph on anyone who got in the way?

Some random exotic flower in the Brazilian rainforest can create a billion dollar family of drugs.

Think how much an actual alien that can also interact with human biology would be worth

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Im convinced that Burke and Weyland-Yutani in general are based on Fox executives

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I actually own a copy of the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" that was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the future is way dumber than you could possibly imagine lol (I am impressed someone took a moment to think about "Oh gently caress how do they fire it laying down?" for the book though).

They're space marines, not open field marines. I assume they use the steadicam rig when they're running around inside buildings

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Practical effects probably aren't cheaper than cgi these days considering the huge time pressures and also now slow loss of talent as they get replaced more with cgi. But good practical effects are undeniably better and also force the movie to be better just by making them think through every second of film and placing limits on their choices

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Smiling Mandrill posted:

This. One of the biggest problems with movie franchises is the need to connect every loving thing back to the original good movies. I don't need the hero of the movie to be Ripley's grand nice who inexplicably meets and falls in love with Orin Hicks who joined the colonial marines like his hero great uncle did.

A Hundred Years of Solitude and Aliens

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Or just a new set of weird-looking aliens with different rules

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Millions of Crows posted:

Since we're on Aliens comics now I have endorse Aliens: Havoc
A salvage crew has to survive a luxury liner full of xenos, kind of standard story, but every page is drawn by a different artist. We get to see how Duncan Fegredo, Arthur Adams, Peter Bagge, Sergio Aragones, Moebius, Mike Allred and Tony Millionaire draw xenos and that industrial spacecraft style, amoung others.

Tony Millionaire's Alien? Holy poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Young Freud posted:

I've actually want a Predator movie as if it's Deliverance for Predators.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mister Speaker posted:

What has fewer degrees of separation from the Alien universe: The Matrix, or Grease? Serious question.

Grease is set in one of the early versions of the construct called the Matrix, one of the nice ones that ended up being rejected by humans for being too perfect.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Splicer posted:

It's not my fetish. "Hot female IDF member" became a standard film and tv trope recently and I want to know who decided to make that a thing.

I think you can guess who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Im the guy with the fabulous wig