Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fun fact the MAM is global. If you’re out exploring and have a drive just plop a second MAM down and shove it in. Disassemble the mam and keep exploring. Repeat every 10m so you don’t have to spend an extra couple of hours decrypting your drives when you get back to base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

is there a mod that just lets you color code things rather than have to do every single little bit of everything one at a time because thats tedious as hell

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

holy poo poo. just. wow. ok thanks

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I think they follow the powered building rules. If you leave for a while some grow back. I have no proof of this other than having to run down a super long belt to upgrade the miner. The fruit had grown back along the way and I know I would have grabbed them beforehand because I’m a pack rat for that poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Alt...alternate recipes? :confuoot:

Go search around for drop pods and get harddrives out of them. They'll have a bunch of different requirements to open them. You stuff the hdd in the MAM and it'll give you the choice of 3 different ways to make stuff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

efficiency is it’s own goal

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The HDDs roll from the tech level you're at so if you want better chances at the screws and whatnot, try and do some early on otherwise you'll have to luck out later.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

At this point I watch Kibz because I don’t have the patience to retool my base into something ridiculous. Not until something new comes out at least.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

tater_salad posted:

All my stuff is so lovely and messy right now. But I've only had the game for like 3 days. Eventually I'll take it all down and redo it when I'm Rich

If it works just leave it until you hit the top tier of research and have access to everything you might need. I’ve fallen out of this game a few times because trying to redo everything I had can be daunting and frustrating if your designs turn out to be kind of poo poo. In my opinion it’s better to build new and divert resources to it before disassembling the existing stuff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

there will be weird gaps after a while so try and build out from the center if your going big.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

getting the alternate recipes where you can bypass screws altogether is better than turbo fuel and diluted fuel combined.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Assuming you don’t do spreadsheets often, a good idea is set a few cells at the top to be whatever rate your recipe does and then reference that through the rest of it when doing calculations. Makes it easier to just update one cell for something new that have to do each one along the chain.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not a bad idea, ill feel out if that seems practical.

How far can those drop? When I tried that it looked like it would only go about 50 feet down or so.

You can connect lifts to lifts and make huge spines of conveyors.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah just put power poles on the lifts. It’s a little finicky to get it in there but it’ll work.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So here is a subjective question: Do you guys normally set up a separate line for basic building pieces (Iron Plates, rods, Wire, Cable, etc.) from your complex assembly lines (Smart plating, etc) or do you just pull from the supply of those lines?

I build extremely large buffers (like a dozen double size containers in series) for ore and ingots and then feed off of those. I tend to make separate systems for higher end products from ingot to finished. I also never load balance and just do overflow for everything as long as the belts support it. I’m not super great at the game but I rarely run out of stuff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

maybe rads? I know the first time I found uranium it took me a minute to figure out wtf was happening.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Qubee posted:

Is there a neat way for me to get conveyor belts into a building? I could have sworn there were walls with conveyor attachment places in them, I don't know if I just haven't unlocked them yet or I'm being a goober.

I think you have to unlock them through the AWESOME shop/sink.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Power plant is now operational! :toot:

Now I just need to shove in another hundred or so generators and I'm set for power for life.

I can’t not stare at the crag with googly eyes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

train stations transmit power over the rails so that a good way to move it around

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Depends on what you’re sinking. If it’s raw ore or ingots it’s not going to get you much in the way of coupons and just keep your power consumption up. Personally I just have huge buffers and run overflow to my machines. If I need to expand production I split off from the buffer storage and it seems to do ok. It’s not the most efficient since I usually start with the manufacturer and work backwards until I hit a bottleneck and work on that until everything’s fine. However I sink the absolute poo poo out of resin because there’s always too much of it and every time my grid fails it’s because of the drat resin.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Copper ore is 50 stacks while wire is 500 so that might affect your transportation valve if you’re using trains or trucks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't even want blueprints so much as I do ghost building/planning.

This is what I was thinking would be best. Something like a somewhat prohibitively expensive 1-5 use drone that you can use to select a segment of factory, then place that selection in a projected hologram from the drone and each machine you have to click on with resources to build but foundations and walls that are contiguous are single click builds. Theres a natural limitation on it due to the size of the area you can select and the amount of stuff you can carry to build it at once. You still have to belt and pipe but everything else would carry over as a placeholder.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Powershift posted:

I probably shoulda used a train or something, but i built a 5 lane pipeline to bring 1500 cubes of that good stuff to my base.

gonna make so much fuckin rubber.

I just wish the MAM would stop giving me recipies for loving steel plates.

You could probably get rid of most of those pumps and save yourself a lot of power overhead.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Powershift posted:

The perspective might make them look close, but each one has ~20m of head lift. I used the ramps to calculate the spacing, and ended up a little over on each but they flow completely.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was a ramp. IGNORE ME

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

pave the world. isn’t there a limitation on total i game items right now? I know it’s a lot but I feel like that may be getting close?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

tranten posted:

Refineries are expensive for just being a packing plant: High build cost, high energy usage, high physical footprint.
I wonder if they'll do an unpacking plant, or if this thing goes both ways (nice) even though it's called a Pak-it.

looks like it has both belt and pipe on the output side so I would be shocked if it didnt do both.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I liked when Josh said he was doing Satisfactory their reply was just “gently caress”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

When the core loop of the game is building and linking up machines to perform a task subverting that element of the game is self defeating. It’s not just “reasons” it’s because they have the requirement of manually setting things up as the core of the game and built around that. It’d be like making mario auto jump to the next platform because constantly jumping is tedious to some players.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Super Rad posted:

Yeah so you could... just not use the features that other people want? I know a game like this attracts broke brains but this is ridiculous.

I think it’s you who has the broke brain there chief. This game isn’t what you want and there are others that are. Play them instead of trying to make this game into something it’s not. And there’s options for you to get what you want so go use them instead of bitching constantly and accusing people of having broke brains for pointing out that your outrage is of your own design.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I can see foundations being something that should be expanded upon instead of placing each one individually as that doesn't really subvert anything other than a bunch of mindless clicks to lay out an area. Earlier in the thread I advocated for ghost buildings that could be filled in later as something that would be nice since it would allow you to more easily plan out your base even if you don't have all the materials just yet and give you something to do other than walk away and eat lunch while you get some computers churned out. It's the same amount of work and doesn't take anything away from the gameplay as designed unlike just plopping down a blueprint of a 10GW turbofuel factory and walking away. If you want to make a huge megabase that makes 50 supercomputers a minute then youre going to have to put in work. Thats just the game and making that kind of ridiculously over the top challenge easier would only serve to mitigate the early game or the vast majority of players who are doing things "wrong". You can't tailor your game to powerusers because it makes it a worse experience for everyone else and/or makes it so easy that people get bored and dont continue to play.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

You could always build something to mimic the mako reactors and just put the actual reactor on top for the steam.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

What is that guys accent? It seems like he slips into some sort of British accent occasionally. It doesn't matter in the long run I'm just curious.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Sounds like a normal Swedish accent to me.

Ah there you go.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

So i bought this for my kid on sale so we could play together and the christmas stuff is suuuuuuuuuuuper distracting when you’re just starting the game.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can turn it off in the options.

Nice. Thanks. Trying to convince an 8 year old to gather plants instead of presents is a hard proposition.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

After restarting a million times, I'm finally giving oil power a try. My 1,200MW coal plant is getting strained and I don't have enough coal in that area to line up another eight plants so I figured why not?

Now I'm telling myself once I get this going it'll be time for trains, then a real main base, then oh God I'm going down the rabbit hole this time without going past tier six so I can use this save after the next update...

Main bit of advice is to make sure you plan for extra material and sinking it. And then dealing with the fluid overproduction that you can’t sink.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Josh puts almost all SA gimmick posters to shame as far as effort for a joke.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

just fyi it’s all the same map so new saves are kind of pointless unless you just want to start fresh. But then you can just tear everything down and move.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Kibbitz put out a video where he looks around another players world and it’s insane. The lady that made it made a legitimate work of art with her world and I can’t fathom being not only that talented and inspired but also patient enough to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Having to go out and source biofuel encourages exploration and going around the world. It’s a good thing