Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Slavvy posted:

Rationally yes, losing a couple of carriers and a few tens of thousands of troops is not worth burning down the world

But the people in charge of the US are not rational, they are insane fascists who literally cannot imagine a world they don't have total dominion of and there's a good chance they would choose to destroy it all rather than lose

every catastrophe can be monetized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Boat Stuck posted:

I thought that particular goon project was a rocket company with a rape submarine side gig

Was that guy active on here? I completely forgot about that.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
The clear solution here is for the US to buy shells from DPRK before invading.

Also the al-awlaki murders were a crack ping for me as well. I remember talking about it with my liberal bosses at my first real job during some other discussion and they handwaved it away for some reason involving a movie they saw. Pricks. Awful people, awful company, death to the small business cult in America.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
A little late to this part of the discussion and I quite literally can't talk about it in detail but I work in aerospace machining. Another department at my workplace makes a lot of sintered metal parts. The machines themselves are very cool and so are the parts they spit out but quite literally all of them require time consuming secondary operations on traditional machining centers. They're a pain in the rear end to set up, and the level of precision afforded to us by the printer's resolution relative to the final part tolerances mean we have to dial in each part in the machine, so setups are not repeatable. In my judgement, at the current evolution of the technology, what you gain in material savings(aluminum powder is cheap) you lose in print and secondary operation time. However there are some things I can think of where printing is sort of the only way to accomplish certain things(difficult geometry of the overall part that would otherwise require, say, complex bending that could introduce stresses). Idk. Point is I hate them because I have to do those secondary operations.

Admiral Bosch has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Dec 29, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

im just going to tell you why you should watch this: this is a hundred million dollar condo skyscraper, in downtown san francisco that is sinking because it wasnt designed right, and that sinking was bad enough to cause panes of glass on the building facade to shatter and fall into the street in high winds

the engineering company brought in to fix this rested the entire structural fix on a series of small steel plates sitting at the bottom of new piles that were installed under the building

the engineer of record does not appear to have done any actual math to determine whether those plates can handle the loads that are on them to support the building

that engineer's name is Ronald Hamburger

single family housing stays winning

sullat posted:

I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld. When I die, they will put me in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breath, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment.

reading this hit me like a truck so i looked it up expecting it to be a vonnegut line i hadn't come across, or maybe leguin, but it's from a video game lmao. top tier stuff though

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Woke up thinking about something. Several pages back we were talking about sortie tempo on American carriers and how, at least on the shiny new Gerald Ford, it was like... Less than half of what it was during the cold war or something like that. I can't find a good average, so let's say it's like... 60 launches a day(someone feel free to correct me). What is the Liaoning averaging?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

ffg(x) lmao, remember the ship that doesnt have a bow-mounted sonar because the shipyard that got the contract isnt deep enough to build a ship that has one even though the design they licensed did originally

anyone got a link where i can learn and laugh about this

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
poseidon, famous divine wielder of the bow

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
This thread's reductive reasoning with regards to "oh the nazis sort of had a swept wing prototype and we all just jumped on it because we assumed they were geniuses" seems a little silly to me. It was a big step up for aerodynamics at high speed, I don't think you need to make more of it than that.

If you want another, real example of "the nazis were doing something that the allies were technologically behind in so we played a huge game of cold war catch-up", this might be of interest to the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgK51w6uhk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Press_Program

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
worth pointing out that you don't even get your initial uniform issue for free. it all comes out of your paycheck, and if you need a replacement uniform item(a new cover, blouse, boots, whatever) that's also on you.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This isnt true between. I think there were only two things that I had to buy when I went through basic, one of which wasn't even mandated but highly encouraged at the time (and I think they are providing them as basic kit now). My running shoes and the camelback. I think the camelback is now part of the basic kit, since I was issued one a few years later.

It's been 15 years since I enlisted so I may be misremembering some details but I distinctly remember seeing the itemized pay reduction for dress blues, service alphas, etc.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

sullat posted:

Remember that Congress built a $900 million fear bunker for themselves after 9/11 and then on 1/6 they had to abandon it and run away because one of the Congress persons left the door open deliberately for the people outside.

no loving way please post a link about this

also my nuclear war plan is to kill myself

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
suit yourself, the second i can't Log On or buy alcohol or stuff my fat loving face that's it for me. water scarcity, food scarcity and oh yeah radiation sickness all sound pretty terrible

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Red bull is the new Marlboro

their livery sucks imo, nobody beats philip morris

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
are the shipping containers okay

(gently caress me that looks horrifying, i am not hopeful but i hope at least some of the workers that were up on that bridge saw it coming and ran? or somehow survived jumping? i am not optimistic)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

i think this is what they were looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Isn't the whole use case for that Sig rifle supposed to be one per fire team or something and not general issue to every single grunt? Cheap effective body armor in the form of SAPIs and whatever the foreign equivalents are called is one of the biggest innovations in ground warfare in decades and I personally don't think having the ability to defeat them at the squad or platoon level is a bad or nonsensical decision as far as MIC procurement goes.