Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I think bar run is saying being cold and calculating about theory and material causes is not going to get the revolution.

It was decades between kapital and an actual communist revolution that worked, and these myths and formation stories are the actual gears that made that engine of theory work.

Writing off the 300m souls in the us - the descendants of those that fought against slavery, fought against the Pinkertons, and foe what ever reason fought against Nazis as 'just dumb yanks lol' is how you lose the actual war even if you have the ideological battle locked down.

I think. Might be my own biases.

But throwing out everything people can be proud to fight for because some of it was and is tainted by other evils is how the Nazis win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Oh god no, I wouldn't expect anyone fighting for the US to win. It's been laid clear plenty on the previous pages a dozen reasons why that's a lost cause.

But individual people believing in some good cause they have some link to is a big part of getting fight. The Pinkerton case didn't end well, but if you use West Virginians fighting against capital oppression it will give some there a better story to fight for then 'the chinese/russians/race x' did it'. If you don't, well that fascist myth is all they got.

Pidgin Englishman has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Mar 20, 2023

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Danann posted:

australia is never getting those nuclear subs with this level of shipbuilding

Naw, thinking aus would get new subs

Our glorious leaders would never dare bite the hand that feeds* by refusing 30 year old single-use-reactor equipment

*no, not our main trade partner. The one that gives us, uh

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol that Japan has more tonnage that the UK

Look at their 20th century battle records, the UK haven't had game in centuries next to Japan.

I'm not sure if I'm joking

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cuttlefush posted:

that's kind of the sailor ideal in general. im not sure if the us navy ever actually did that as a whole for any length of time. different ships/commands probably did. i think most of the rusty ship stuff in the current surface navy is from loving up crew/work schedules. too few sailors, too many hours per sailor, no sleep, etc. same issue with all the crashing.

a few of the new ships have more technical corrosion issues, but that's not why arleigh burkes an poo poo are rusting. corrosion in general is a constant battle on ships and it's a decent proxy for how hosed up a ship's crew is. although not always. us science ships/noaa ships have always been rusty as gently caress but usually competently crewed. usually their just old as gently caress. also painted white so the rust kinda shows.

also for no reason in particular but being on boat chat, this is an insight into what the Ideal Sailors were
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tuTKhqWZso

I love this film. Pretty sure my Dad dreamed he would be this dude, which always made sailing in our rusty old 30 footer an adventure.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Really feeling for the poor MIC after the gov came in and told em 'just rent seeking boys, I want to see stingers at 100x the price and I don't want to see a single coin spent on cost basis'

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Spending months preparing my house with landmines for a 16-room war of attrition against the impending 8 man invasion force just after me

Oh wait, now I get it

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Frosted Flake posted:

Australia was apparently considering buying the new American stealth bomber, which is wild as far their relationship with China or their conception of Australia's place in the world goes.

Australia's stupid defence procurement is wild, just see the nuclear sub debacle.

All I can think is that the US is leading us by the nose (that's the obvious bit) to make sure we have the capability to support their forces as Outpost South Asia.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Palladium posted:

uh, using capitalism against itself?

Yeah, some how I feel their thesis and this thread's theories don't align

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Doesn't that leave them awfully vulnerable, being located in such close proximity to your peer competitor, in case of a war though? Can they really count on Japan and Korea to remain in the U.S. sphere of influence?

Nah, basic aoe4 tactics. Build your production right next to the enemy's base as the time to travel is >> than the time of production.

That holds for shipbuilding, yeah?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking that, but you nailed it. Goddamn.

Nah, it's totally real

Sequoia Capital posted:

Hydrogen offers many benefits: it’s a versatile fuel that can be easily manufactured in the field, it can be interchangeable across all Mach systems, and, most importantly, it enables major advancements in range and power for projectiles as well as unparalleled loiter time and speed for aerial systems. Leveraging this, Mach is focused on developing a suite of oxyhydrogen defense platforms, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and aerial protection devices. With this innovative approach, Mach ultimately aims to solve the challenging problem of hypersonic defense.

Actually lol, it's orange guns:

TechCrunch posted:

At some point along the way, he developed what he called an “[obsession] with electrolysis.” Electrolysis is a process by which water is split into its constituent elements — one of which, of course, is hydrogen. The first result of that obsession was a small arms device he made while still in high school. The entire thing cost around $200 — funded by his parents, after he pitched them with a 20-page paper — and consisted of a couple of deer feeder batteries and an electrolyzer, all powering what was essentially a bazooka.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

9123 posted:

https://www.wsj.com/politics/national-security/pentagon-plans-vast-ai-fleet-to-counter-china-threat-4186a186

the Pentagon plans on spending "hundreds of millions of dollars" to create a RoboMilitary by September 2025

:doomed:

Terminator only failed in not realising 90% of computer poo poo is snake oil.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, what plane is your first shot range useful against when the enemy is 4,000 autonomous bombs (and they can make 50 of them for the cost of 1 of your missiles)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Zodium posted:

you'd have to be able to make a bike lock

In US Navy has committed to having AI driven targeted Lakehouse based bike lock technology in the next 7 years to power the next generation of harbour restraint.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Plus oops it's now an extra 200 billion for our used subs sorry

No, now please

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

RIPeroni, been fun everyone

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Sadly there's one trick to firing it and it keeps scrambling the brains of anyone who figures it out.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Regarde Aduck posted:

we still had a military that was to ostensibly fight in world war 3 in 1982

now we have 10 squaddies, a dingy and no ammo because we gave everything to Ukraine

unfortunately i do not think anything funny will happen over this

I don't know, the Brits might lose 2 carriers at sea.

Betting pool is whether it's due to running out of fuel, breakdown, or collision.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cookie Cutter posted:

Eurofighter is a bit like this as well. It can take a fair while to load mission and map data - I spent countless hours shivering in a cold HAS on night shift hunched over a ruggedised Windows XP terminal getting the designated flyers ready for the next morning.

Wha.. what happens if they need to fly in 10 minutes?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Double posting tech on the finest of American hardware :patriot:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Austal grew out of Incat based in Tasmania, they're famous there for building a catamaran ferry to run the mainland route that was affectionately know as the SPEW Cat or Vomit Comet. Looked just like the Cody.

Was great in smooth seas, cut the 10hr trip to 4 hrs. Unfortunately Bass Strait isn't renowned for calmness. Also nothing like having your ferry trip canned at the last minute 20% of the time!

So great heritage really.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

DancingShade posted:

Those fools! Only bespoke proprietary GPS painted green will do!

With vintage style knobs and everything. Ideally cross branded in a collab with Gucci.

I've heard Hugo Boss is really popular with Western powers

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

gradenko_2000 posted:

excited for lumber brutalism

Even cooler:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Well no point recruiting an actual sailor when your subs don't put to sea and the reactors are glued together badly.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
None of those options let the narco entrepreneur/MIC c level legitamise their sub building business.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Orange Devil posted:

It is as if you had a manufacturing company but you made the IT department equal to the Operations department somehow, rather than making it clear to all those nerds that they are in a support role. The only place it can end up is disfunctional boondoggles that don't practically help anyone but the nerds love stroking themselves off to.

Replace IT with quality and now you know why cancer drugs cost $250k a dose.

Well, that and capital grift of course.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
They don't even use guided 155mm shells

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Not even trying, Australia buying subs that they can't maintain is "securing decades of peace and prosperitry for America and her allies".

If the Cannuck gov is poo poo at military procurement then they've got a ways to go to meet our morons.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

poisonpill posted:

lmao “Israeli Officials are already said to be in Contact with several Unnamed PMCs and are hoping to Aquire the Funding for these Groups from International Partners.” so either the US pays for PMCs, or….. the US pays for PMCs

Only if Israel still gets to tell them what to do while 'distributing aid'

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1769290382938931430?s=20

the genocide enabling fleet has a life boss to give sailors more grit

Attaching things to the ceiling well is apparently lost tech.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

the good PCBs

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Perfidious albion, consumed by furious envy of its continental island possession that is 32x times its size, could never let that self-sufficiency develop. Imagine if they built some boats?

Hey now, Aus has built boats.

You might have heard of a little outfit called Austal.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

euphronius posted:

why doesn’t Australia make their own subs

We did build our current subs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins-class_submarine

They had a poo poo start-up, took 22 years to go from 'we need subs' to operational, and the Australian Zeitgeist is to be horrendously afraid of looking like we hosed up on an international stage. So it's much better to never have a pipe-dream than to use our own capabilities to build our own services and improve the country in any material way.

30 years of investment and building the national skills up to go 'eh, a true neoliberal would outsource this'.

Also we got rid of all automotive manufacturing since the Collins were built so heavy manufacturing is basically dead (relies entirely on imported materials).

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

https://twitter.com/Last24Report/status/1760396482933408094?t=tpm7KX0ip3DzOqSP9nrynA&s=19

Optionally crew ships, isn't this bigger pie in the sky than the subs?

Fuckin lol

Can the AI board refugee boats and take em to off shore detention? If not I have no idea what fantasy purpose they think the navy fulfills here.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I thought Australia had several good domestic cars? Holden, Bolwell, as well as Fords?

15 years ago we had Holden, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi factories. They did a lot for manufacturing across South Australia and Victoria, and were key for employment and trades training across the country. Most of the industrial, engineering, and mining trades learnt in these facilities.

Now we have, uh,

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
A poor reading of it, but:
Australia had an active and reasonably successful labour movement up to the late 80s. At that point Keating came in to lead that movement and started cutting the legs out from it, but was tolerated as he could lay a sick burn on the opposition.

After Keating we had Howard who had 4 terms (nearly 12 years) to absolutely gut the state. We privatised power, telecommunications, water, and anything we could lay our hands on. Cut down tariffs and opened up as many export friendly agreements as we could. Got as hard into the bed with the US as possible. He ran an amazingly successful anti-refugee platform and was right in on the war on terror and used the two to absolutely gut the working class's conciousness. Murdoch helped of course as he consolidated all non-state media and just ran front page labour smear pieces for decades.

Since Howard we've manage to install true business believers at the head of the remaining state functions like the ABC.

We had a bit of a resurgence with Rudd, who actually started opening relationships with China and trying to heal the first nations gaps. He got very plainly knifed shortly after suggesting we tax mineral exports, which were heavily subsidised for the gain of the national rich and the US/EU. Labour at the time tried tepidly to hold on to auto manufacturing, but after 8 years of every media outlet screaming about how they can't lead the liberals came in and immediately shut it down.

We now have little national vision, an entirely captured labour movement, and few actual strengths beyond grow/dig up and export raw materials. We don't even do large amounts of secondary processing.

The nation's still riding on the tail of the labour movement with high wages and a generally good standard of living, but that's being rapidly eroded.

There's some occasional signs of hope - the Vic premier was absolutely trashed in the media for daring to follow medical advice through covid and investing in major infrastructure projects, but still won a 3rd term very conclusively. He's gone though now and the state labour party are rapidly rolling it all back to austerity.

Pidgin Englishman has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Apr 4, 2024

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Danann posted:

Developed but dependent huh. It's a phrase the does neatly describe the future trajectory of the EU's political economy since it seems like it's only a matter of when the EU cuts itself off from China in order to please the Americans.

Yeah, it's a choice phrase for Australia.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
The highly elite and most terrifying western panzer division "tanks full of kids"

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Dis-assed-her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

OhFunny posted: