Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like the numbers probably dont count the lifetime maintenance cost which will be astronomical given there are only 3 of them

I remember when I was stationed in Mayport the first one kept limping back there because it was foiled multiple times trying to transit from Virginia to San Diego by things such as “saltwater corrosion” and “almost capsizing in mild to calm seas.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Justin Tyme posted:

Would be cool if congress kept force feeding the military munitions of various calibers and types and their associated guns or launchers instead of "you must buy another 300 engineless Abrams hulls that go straight to the boneyard" every year

It’s probably for the best at this point

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don't you need a large power source to use laser? Seems to be bigger vaporware than railgun.

Also useless in bad weather.

The Zumwalt design was built around having a power plant that could accommodate a laser. However, it’s now a lightly armed destroyer because they never built the laser.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

genericnick posted:

Big navy ships have big power sources. That part is fine

Not really, most older hulls in my understanding would have issues effectively routing that much power that quickly

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My uncle got kicked out the army during Vietnam before he deployed then became a literal mountain man squatting on oil company land. Cool dude. Made better decisions than me.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Command: Modern Operations?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Goddamn

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Nice graphics. I didn't know a sequel was in the works 👍

sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7y8yyOrtK1z0lvw3_720.mp4

I take issue with the military accuracy of this, that independence class LCS appears to be seaworthy before it gets blown up.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, what were they doing there?

Blowing up mostly

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

:hmmyes:

The other thing is political. They chose to "optimally man" the Marine artillery fighting ISIS because they did not want to make headlines about large formations of US troops being deployed. That meant that there was basically no crew rotation, and things got worse as more and more people dropped out ill.

I got to experience firsthand the joys of life in the surface fleet during the US Navy optimal manning program, it
was
awesome

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hatebag posted:

lol at the john mccain crashing

The US Navy respects its most sacred tradition o7

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I would bet that 90% of the outcome of that Bradley vs T-72 fight ending in the Bradley’s favor is because the west and Ukraine have a vested interest in making sure the most motivated units are getting the shiny new western toys and not making them look bad while the guys in the old assT-72 were probably pissed off miserable conscripts or reservists counting the days they could get drunk/high again if they weren’t already. You really do not want to be in anything other than another full fledged MBT if you’re up against another MBT.

Pretty much before Ukraine-Russia the only times I’ve heard of tank crews at least of major militaries dying while inside their tank is from drowning after crashing into a river.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Apparently the new army SIG pistol is not drop safe and has an issue with the frame exploding when using duty ammo lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If I understand correctly, the 416 is basically a loving M4 with a piston. And, like yes G36 was neat. FN 2000 was neat. Not neat enough to replace cold war stocks while they were still around. SCAR L and XM 8, same deal. Those rifles came 25 and 10 years too soon, respectively, because any of the four would need to be purchased now. That’s what’s so smart about the MIC strategy here.

More or less it’s an AR-15 out side with the gas system of an AR-18, in theory there’s some issues wear but it’s an absurdly reliable gun, compared to both the AR and AK platforms. It’ll cycle underwater even

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The US military still uses M14s for extreme cold but I could easily them them “modernizing” again for a low low cost of 10k per unit or something

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You need a proprietary optic mounting system “optimized for the conditions” as well that only fits your company’s optics. The first generation will fog up to the point of uselessness in those actual conditions because hey only the mounting system is designed to withstand cold, you didn’t say anything about the optic. But we can fix that if you give us the contract.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

fizziester posted:

Troop forum modding sure is something.

It sure is lol

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Feb 27, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DancingShade posted:

Look the US defence industry can absolutely deliver the everything needed at acceptable cost, timeframe and shareholder value. We just need one thing.

Let's bring back slave labour. Lots of drums and whips too.

One step ahead of you bud. Innovation is foundational to our free way of life

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-106240

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Why spend a couple grand on mortar rounds when you could spend tens of millions of dollars on F-35 flight hours and guided ordinance instead.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s an interesting talk with Tom Ricks who has a lot of garbage takes (I think especially his infatuation with Petreaus) but iirc the gist of it is that in WW2 the US army frequently promoted and demoted officers based on competence, their particular strengths and weaknesses to the situation, and their actual performance and that failure and losing a command wasn't necessarily a career killer either. Nowadays almost every single field and general grade will finish their tour and misconduct is pretty much the only thing that officers actually get punished for. You’re more or less “owed” commands and will with time get promoted upward if you just stay in and color in the lines. Trying to reform things if anything is a significant risk to your career with no benefit once you get into field grade and above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OehvY94N-WA

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Justin Tyme posted:

They criticized the Ukrainian military for relying too heavily on drones and not using enough ground reconnaissance then decide to get rid of cavalry squadrons and double down on drones, so which is it?

(Drones are 100% the future but lol of the army ever adopts anything that isn't on par with something like a mavic but inexplicably costing 10x more to the point where they only procure a few hundred when they're churning through hundreds of thousands in Ukraine)

Conscripts are cheap and drones are expensive buddy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Following on from this thought, remember when many years ago a laptop was found in a Taliban compound, opened to a live stream from a US drone? And it turned out US drones were completely unencrypted?

Everyone I talk to about it insists that it's no big deal and was absolutely fixed afterwards. And maybe this was. But it seems an entirely reasonable assumption that if the US was so lax in one instance, why wouldn't it be in other instances? What faith do we have that instead of having a single contractor fix a single issue, the US went through a complete top-down audit of all of their communications, signals, and weapons?

Everyone made fun of Russian troops in 2014 posting on social media. lmao as if the US troops would be able to resist. We've already had the Reddit Brigade get cruise missiled in 2022 because they couldn't get off their phones in Ukraine. I imagine 202X American information discipline would look a hell of a lot like IDF.

To my knowledge there is an inherent physical limitation to how much you can encrypt drone communications with the current communication networks and infrastructure the military uses because it's really goddamn limited on bandwith. That how Iran developed the ability to be like "no it's my drone now."

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DancingShade posted:

I would trust the PRC assets are also actually crewed too, which is an important yet frequently overlooked aspect.

Also putting Australia there lmao. Strike everything down to "1-2" in that column because I'd bet someone else's money that's all that can be fielded.

OPTIMAL

MANNING

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

dk2m posted:

so I dunno if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I’m looking for some analysis of post-occupation Iraq and what happened from the stated neoliberal goals - all i know is the common retelling of the occupational government loving up and creating an insurgency, but what about its markets, government services, oil infrastructure, etc? how much penetration did American institutions have, and to what extent is Iraq today either a satellite or sovereign? maybe some smart people here can point me in the right direction

Imperial Life in the Emerald City is a good read though it was written in 06

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I remember when I found out there were going to make a movie supposedly based on Imperial Life in the Emerald city and was thinking it’d be something like The Big Short but a dark comedy about Iraq war fuckups

Instead they made some lovely lib movie about “what if Jason Bourne was a huge pussy who can’t fight” uncovering how the whole WMD thing was the fault of just a conspiracy of only a few Americans working with a group of perfious Arabs. The funniest implication was that the entire was basically just the work of the strategic genius of Ahmed Chalabi and Dubya who managed to outsmart the entire innocent trusting US defense and intelligence leadership.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

To be fair, the F-35 is a big dumb wasteful project but ending up with something not completely useless puts it at least above average given how criminally ridiculous procurement is now. we made two types of LCS that both had to be entirely scrapped and then engineered the insanely expensive barely reliable DDG-1000 around a laser weapons system than whoops we canceled it doesnt exist so now it has all these engineering compromises built around something it can’t actually do. So now our replacements for frigates AND destroyers are all broken, expensive, and stupid.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1769125752572637371

the cia operators are departing ukraine for israel because they won't be getting shot at by near-peer firepower over there

Best of luck clearing that with the finest fighting force in the region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urTA6tvxVp8

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you’re going to field test a new supersonic missile you could do worse than CVN-69

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Deleted?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If AA really has hypersonics it required a lot of help from someone. Smart money on Iran though they just recently built theirs, long money on China because they’re probably the best at it they’ve been focused on that to counter US naval dominance and probably have more advanced models but have no real reason to arm the Houthis , and comedy option would be France who also like Iran only recently developed them but France will sell to anyone and now big universe brain time that’s why it’s always UK merchant ships that are getting hit

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fell Mood posted:

Do they even have explosives in them or is it purely a kinetic kill vehicle?

Hardware isn’t my thing but I don’t know of any commonly used missiles that are mostly kinetic other than like those RX-9 knife missile and such for “surgical” drone strikes which I guess is in practice mostly kinetic.

Apparently from a google in the past the US has used kinetic training bombs on Iraqi military hardware during the no-fly-zone era

I can’t really see a use case unless you’re in space or trying to be really exact.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Mar 18, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also some of these newer ones can skim the water fast as gently caress on top of juking a little during the final attack approach which makes it really hard to depend on CWIS systems since at best you’ve got around 3-5 miles to try to detect, identify and respond

Did some more googling and what’s interesting is that within the range of getting a probable hit most CWIS on other craft could not even move fast enough to track a supersonic missile, and if it’s coming straight at you, by the time you hit you’re still going to take some damage from sheer kinetic energy even if you disable the warhead at that range.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Mar 18, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

I dunno if you've seen the pictures of ASBM damage from Houthi attacks against container ships, but they come down at a very high angle and at least one pic has an exit blast emerging like a hundred feet lower on the ship than the entry hole. Against a warship, that could look like a massive blast punching out the side of the hull beneath the waterline and sinking it in minutes.

It probably wouldn’t sink, warships are extremely compartmented and can stay afloat with catastrophic damage, the real problem is it capsizing or listing so much you cant rescue or repair.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm agnostic on the issue, but I think well designed warships can suffer more damage than people expect, but conversely under crewed or poorly maintained vessels will have a hard time coping with damage they should have survived in theory.

Ever wondered why US navy ships seem so accident prone? Let me tell you about “optimal manning!”

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nuclear weapons- famously not that big of a deal

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I don't want to engage with the facility of "neofeudalism" but no, they cannot.

They rule over us by money, not by birth. It was the whole reasons burghers created liberalism in the first place. They wanted money to grant political and social power. They have no inherent power, by birth their money is their power. Even for inheritance, what matters is that they inherit money. Inheriting a name alone is worthless to them, which would be unimaginable in societies where families struggled for generations to earn "Don", "Von", "Van" etc. and you could be impoverished and genteel, to the point where it was a literary convention, and still have access to what you needed through your name.

In a world where the rich emerge from bunkers, money means nothing, and therefore, they have no ability to rule.

The movie Elysium was surprisingly (with the exception of the immediate happy ending) imo realistic look at what would probably happen if the ultra rich retreat to their bunkers/space colony. They just get taken over by the mercenary operator freaks they pay to do all the dirty work that maintaining the divide requires and/or the oppressed finally get lucky because large groups of desperate people with nothing are always going to find some weakness in the defenses.

Probably because the movie was a really on the nose allegory for things like private gated communities and borders between the rich and poor countries.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the algorithm managed to get me to click through to one of the OSINT-adjacent accounts, but it's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX68_FZl8UE

Ukraine has been using basically drone speedboats to great effect over the past, what, year? This is something that is probably well known in the ukraine thread that I don't really read, but in the context of modern sea warfare it's interesting. The video talks about how a combination of "it being night time" and waves helping to hide the speedboats from radar help the drones get up to Russian ships relatively reliably, which seems like its something that is going to cause a big doctrinal shift over the coming decade or two if countermeasures aren't developed. I can guarantee that if China/Russia/Iran don't have equivalent systems already they're seeing how effective they are, along with drones in general

I assume that the US has these drones, that's gotta be where Ukraine is getting them from, but do they have defenses against them? Does anyone have defenses against them?

They're oddly reminiscent of the Millenium Challenge where the general used suicide speedboats to great effect.

now I just have to clear this guy's video from my history so I don't get anything more from him

Didn’t the Houthis do this to Saudi operated US made destroyers to pretty good effect as well?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://news.usni.org/2017/02/20/navy-saudi-frigate-attacked-unmanned-bomb-boat-likely-iranian

Ah here we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

the air force grew a bunch of TACP forces during the "war on terror" phase because they are useful in COIN and low intensity conflict, much more so than fighting a real war. In major ground war, not so likely that having individuals telling loitering aircraft to slowly drop one bomb at a time on the enemy is very useful compared to stuff like bombing supply lines, logistics, long-range fires, etc.

More importantly, SOCOM is funded independently so the more PJ's and TACP's you have the bigger your slice is.