Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rutibex posted:

if china wants taiwan it would be a really bad idea for them to resist. the US isn't coming to help and they are for sure 100% going to lose. so really it doesn't matter if they do the drills properly :shrug:

It's like when Nancy Pelosi visited Taiwan just to piss everyone off, and China responded by doing "military exercises" just to demonstrate that it's so easy for them to blockade Taiwan they could do it and make it look like an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fell Mood posted:

Is it even possible to sanction China?

They could do targeted sanctions at Chinese government officials, essentially just stealing any assets they have in America or Europe. It would accomplish literally nothing.

But yeah broadbased economic sanctions against China would essentially just be turning the global economy off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Weka posted:

Pretty hard to mobilize for a big invasion secretly. Taiwan, ie the USA, should have plenty of notice.

Don't you remember when Pelosi visited Taiwan earlier this year and like three days after she left China did "wargames" that just coincidentally happened to block all major shipping lanes into Taiwan? If China decided to completely blockade Taiwan it would be done 24 hours later. At that point who gives a poo poo about notice, they could take their sweet time prepping for a land invasion. If one was even necessary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man I know nothing about the Kosovo war. Are there any good books about it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know I just read an article of an AI startup, valued at billions of dollars. They just pay people in Philippines min min salary to label things to "train" AI. Like 30 bux a day just to label poo poo in English. Edit, I remember it wrong, only $6-10 a day.

In the future, they are going to pay people in Philippines and Africa pennies to fly suicide drones into combatants. But you have this Ender's Game layer of AI masking video game elements over live combat video feed. You just fly Sonic looking things into shiny rings. Sometimes after you hit the targets, video glitch and you see the aftermath of broken limbs
Everything is privatized and on PMC contract based, you don't need to keep a national army and can free up your budget to do other awful things.

But drones can't actually take territory. Your scheme wouldn't win wars, it would just spread destruction and terror

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I meant, like, a good overview of what the Kosovo war was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frosted Flake posted:

I found that chapter about how it created deeply flawed military assumptions in the west, from How Wars End, if you're interested.

I feel like Homer Simpson from that joke where he tries to learn something by attempting to read increasingly simple books about it. I got a book that’s just a history of the Balkans, hopefully after reading that I’ll know enough to be able to ask for info about the stuff I don’t know.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hubbert posted:

wasn't NAFO literally making fun of Russian tanks dressed up like this during the earlier stages of the latest Russo-Ukrainian conflict

They still call them "cope cages"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ok but have you guys considered

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Centrist Committee posted:

just got a flurry of push notifications that RED CHYNA IS BUILDING NUKES so the genocide in Gaza must have pushed up some propaganda timelines at the pentagon

Doesn't China already have nukes?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lostconfused posted:

They're making more.

How many do they need?!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's 400 warheads? I might be talking out my rear end her but don't nuclear missiles carry multiple smaller warheads these days so they can saturate a whole area with explosion instead of wasting a lot of energy from one big bomb?

So 400 warheads isn't actually that many missiles.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

atelier morgan posted:

unfortunately they aren't being run aground fast enough judging by how often trains go by my house on the way to bangor

The trains are on the way to your mom?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Regarde Aduck posted:

i enjoyed all of the foundation show, yeah the empire bit is better but for most people it's another making perfect the enemy of the good situation. And that's weird to me because it's not like there's a lot of good sci fi on tv at the moment. But yeah people are like "this isn't perfect so I dropped it after 2 episodes" and i guess this is why everything gets cancelled after 2 seasons apart from dramas that are relatively cheap to make

It's hard for American live action sci-fi to compete with sci-fi anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Best Friends posted:

I don’t think there’s any meaningful faction that wants to actually invade iran. unfortunately there is a massive faction that does want to bomb them and thinks that will have no repercussions.

Our ruling classes are so stupid it's indistinguishable from insanity. Remember a couple years back when that tanker ship got hit by a torpedo, didn't kill anybody or sink the ship, somebody just shot it with a torpedo for some reason? And the single explanation given by the government and the media was that Iran did it because they're an evil country that does bad things for fun. No other reason, just because they're bad.

Like, if you aren't completely braindead it is extremely obvious that the reason Iran did it was to let everybody know that if they wanted to, they could easily prevent so much as a single drop of oil from leaving Saudi Arabia. They could shut down the global economy like flipping a light switch. For America to see Iran do that but still think loving with them is a good idea is insane.

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Oct 27, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

cat botherer posted:

Allowing older recruits in the chair force actually seems like a reasonable thing to do. I would wonder about the type of person that would join at that age, however.

Powerfully divorced.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK I know we were just mocking the people who would join the air force at an older age but the prospect of all you can eat government subsidized seafood is very tempting to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

atelier morgan posted:

mutiny, fragging and sabotage nearly destroyed the military in vietnam (and there were entire formations that were, for all military purposes, destroyed because they could not be trusted or relied on to do absolutely anything)

Are there any good books or anything about this?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gradenko_2000 posted:

the latter part of James William Gibson's "The Perfect War: Technowar in Vietnam" has some great stuff about this

That book looks really interesting, thanks. I wonder why the stuff about black prison revolts isn't in the common cultural memory of Vietnam.

That stuff at the end about not wanting to be the last to die in the war reminds me a lot of the similar problem they had at the end of Korea. But I haven't heard about officers getting fragged then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Pentagon is going to spend 300 million dollars investigating this strange new phenomenon just to end up inventing a new synonym for guilt.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36fc1m-mNQ

lol everybody learned the wrong lessons from Ukraine

I remember nerds talking endless poo poo about the Warthog in Halo because it makes no sense to have a military combat vehicle without any armor.

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Nov 7, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Real hurthling! posted:

the halo guys are armored so their car can just be a party ride

The Warthog actually has way more protection than that thing, it has a windshield and covers your legs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If China effortlessly kills 10,000 US soldiers in a day I would be 100% in favor of the US immediately surrendering.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The white guys who would join the Japanese Foreign Legion are gonna be a pretty motley crew.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kazzah posted:

What about a single generic tank model, which then customises itself based on what type of infantry gets into it? so if it's like a rifleman then it gets a big chaingun, and if it's a guy with a javelin it gets a missile launcher, or if it's a punk-rocker-type dude then it gets some sort of sound-cannon and a snazzy paint job

My man trying to make the Leman Russ real.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ardennes posted:

In some ways, it doesn't matter, there won't be an invasion of Great Britain nor of Central Europe

Don't be a pessimist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frosted Flake posted:

As long as "Britishness" had perceived cultural value, they would stomach any sort of degradation or decline. Well, America has Hollywood, and I guess Madison Avenue, so I wonder if they'll seek comfort in the same sort of way?

We're in trouble there too, the last few Marvel movies have underperformed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uber for troop movements.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hatebag posted:

pft, mole planes! duh!

Surely at some point the army has thought about building something like that right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Yeah, euros love to poo poo on the stick framing that most American houses use, but it's fine for what it's supposed to do which is build, quick, cheap commodity housing. That we act like our cheap housing is actually worth a million dollars and can only go up is a problem of our own making.

How can Euros poo poo on American building, the British didn’t know what insulation was until like 2003.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I remember like 20 years ago reading an article that said that aircraft carriers were going to be replaced with submarines that could launch drones. Did they ever build one of those?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Oldest Man posted:

I get all my military analysis from a guy who is sponsored by "gamersupps," maker of "waifu cups"

all the Waifu Cups are sold out so they're doing something right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm watching the Coming War on China, and this movie sucks. It starts off with a thesis statement about the increasing risk for an actual war between America and China. I'm over an hour in and they haven't talked about that at all. It's just random stuff about nuclear testing in the pacific and Tiananmen Square.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s not going to be a problem, the US has the biggest, strongest, most powerful military in the world. I think they know how to fight and win a war even without total air supremacy. :smug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Justin Tyme posted:

You can go look at some Chinese city you've never even heard of in Google maps and it looks more impressive than any city in the US, it's insane to think the US is better than China at anything and if we are they're only 5-10 years behind catching up.

They are 20 years behind on Cinematic Universes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It did occur to me recently that if anyone in government was smart or gave a poo poo, they would have gotten involved with the SAG strike on the side of the actors. Cultural Capital is one thing we still have going strong, and, properly managed, could keep going for decades. If the US film industry goes all in on AI-generated content, that’s is a genuine threat to America's standing in the world. If anybody with a decent computer can AI generate an Ant-Man 5 that’s the same quality as the one Disney generated, what’s the point of Hollywood?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stephenthinkpad posted:

It counts if it was built by the Americans. Now that you mentioned it, I remember the US built a ring national road in Afghanistan during the 10 year occupation of the country.

Wasn’t that started by the Soviets?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Oldest Man posted:

if you replace "got sent to the other side of a space hole" with "covid happened," michael bay has you covered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZ6bpIjeLs

In an early episode they go to Guantanamo Bay for supplies but it turns out somebody let all the terrorists out and now the terrorists are in charge.

You can tell they're terrorists because they're all dressed like the Mujahedeen. Where they found those clothes in Guantanamo Bay is not explained.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

President Biden has approved retaliatory air strikes in Lebanon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Controversial British Hunter-class warship program survives as government prepares to unveil Australia's 'Future Navy'

The US vassal states will lose WW3

lol

our new frigate is the size of an Arleigh Burke, costs a billion dollars more, and carries 1/3 of the missiles (before they realised maybe they should add more missiles)

bonus magical thinking from the plan to add more missiles:

does anybody have that video of the guy asking the Australian army man why Australia needs a big navy to protect trade with China from China?