Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rutibex posted:

Flavius Belisarius could kick Caesars rear end :colbert:
Sure but Justinian sucked rear end. Way overextended the empire, which bit them in the rear end when they had the 1-2 punch of the Persians and then the Arabs. Heraclius was a badass and strategic genius though. It could have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

Can't wait for this stupid as gently caress war to go nuclear and get me atomized because I live near a nuclear sub base hell yeah
I'm a few miles downwind from an air force base with a nuke wing. :stoked:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Rhandhali posted:

Pu Yi? I have no idea who that is.
Last emperor of China. Weird dude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyi

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

There's absolutely grift, but there's usually more consequences when it gets exposed.

I think the most recent scandal from the Russian side is that they overpaid for their radios? Some general is taking the fall for it.
Grift happens everywhere with everything. The difference is that our MIC is grift-first. Everything else is a rounding error in the accounting they don't do.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

China has had an operational hypersonic weapon in that same class since 2019. But we still have better technology right guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-ZF

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont understand why its strategically necessary for us to have a hypersonic weapon. it was built to get passed OUR missile defense system.
(i know its politically/economically "necessary")
Sounds like you answered your own question there.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ardennes posted:

The War of 1812 was a wet noodle contest (which the US lost)
My 8th grade history teacher would strongly disagree with this characterization.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The USSR would have invaded Hokkaido within a few weeks (long before the planned US invasion) had Japan not surrendered. Japanese leadership were fascists, so they strongly preferred the US. It was far more about that, considering that the USSR had just finished steamrolling Manchuria in two weeks after shipping their war machine across Siberia. When the bombs dropped, it wasn't that big of a deal because the cities were already smoking ruins.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

this looks very relaxing
I've only been skydiving once, but it was actually weirdly tranquil and quiet after the chute opened. I'd do it again if it wasn't so goddamn expensive.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Best Friends posted:

lasers are the weapons of the future, and always will be
Hitting poo poo with other poo poo has been the way to do it since primitive man first bashed a rock into the skull of another primitive man for probably not very good reasons.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Fully automated luxury kill-chains

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I wonder if the taliban even knew what they did when they shot that Chinook full of seals down, took out like a third of the number 1 seals with an rpg
Crazy how our psychotic super-soldiers can get merked with a vintage Soviet RPG just like anyone else.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gotta burn up all of our remaining goodwill to make up for our lovely industrial capacity

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the American assumption is that we can go to war with China over Taiwan but also that China won’t attack US military assets outside the direct zone of conflict out of fear of the US killing millions of Chinese citizens as retaliation. We get to have our cake and eat it too because we’re willing to commit the largest mass murder in human history.
Hey, that kind of thinking worked with Reagan and the Soviets.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Wheeee posted:

during the cold war ufos allegedly hosed with american nuclear missiles by turning off their ability to launch

on the soviet side to scare them the ufos turned the missiles on
Really hope those green boys are going to be the deus ex machina that keeps the world from ending.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Danann posted:

(from t.me/mangopress/12710, via tgsa)

do you think it'll make it into the next ace combat game?
:hellyeah:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ardennes posted:

Uh that isn't much of a war
The trade war where one side has the sole capability to make stuff and the other side screams and shits their pants.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

Agile means I can deliver nothing and you still pay me
Yeah agile is pretty cool

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s still amazing to me that some of y’all come out for explicit , Autocracy, Nationalism and Orthodoxy because America bad.
I just come out for all of those things things because they are good and I want to have sex (gay kind) with Vladimir Putin

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Fish of hemp posted:

How would Russian occupation be better for the Ukrainian people?
Is there a post ITT that you can quote that says that, or are you just making up imaginary posting enemies?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Russians will get mad if you take their picture because they think the camera can steal their souls.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Best Friends posted:

Hey since you’re here - given the facts that Russia is militarily incompetent and incapable, that Ukraine has all the super weapons and a million man army, and that Ukraine is killing 7 Russians for every man they lose: how is it that Ukraine hasn’t gotten all the invaders kicked out yet?

I would love to see all these bits of known true facts reconciled with the maps. cause to me it seems very contradictory to gloat about Russia losing while also saying Ukraine is on the brink if it doesn’t get the latest super weapons.
Sounds like this dummy doesn’t understand that all our enemies are powerful and dangerous while also being incompetent paper tigers.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Best Friends posted:

I think it’s two lovely right wing corrupt countries fighting, OP, with the resulting obvious implications for their armies. armies which do seem capable of killing each other.
Look buddy, you have to like either Russia or Ukraine. You can't just say they are both bad.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Kessler Syndrome sounds badass

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

That's just balls

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Weird how quick the Biden admin narrative changed from "it's a weather balloon" to "it's a secret spy balloon superweapon that we must destroy."*

*after it has passed over the US landmass and can't possibly do any more useful surveillance.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Weka posted:

Imagine being put off joining the USA's army because it was too woke.
You don't want to be sleeping when the Whiskey Rapist comes around.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

i say swears online posted:

americans approved of the military as much pre-9/11 as post-9/11? what about willingness to sign up, was that polled
People approved of the military but they weren't chugging their nuts like post-9/11

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

what

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Wasn't there a lovely movie with like this AI pilot that was a sphere computer?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

they were loving the missile but not how they were taught to
Missiles, silos, dicks, asses, it’s all very confusing. Can’t really blame’em IMO

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Whorecrimes

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The early-mid Republic had a shitload of dictators that always stepped down when they were supposed to. Doesn't make sense why Cincinattus is the one people always jack off about.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

The craft come from the landing ship. LHD Landing Craft is in the name. The Abrams can be transported inside the ship. This is if you need an amphibious landing instead of going port to port on any number of ships.

here is a picture for you.

Immediately destroyed by air to surface missile at the beginning of any conflict - and thank goodness! Because Australians and Australia suck.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

they're rehashing an old campaign from the 80s that some middle aged troops are nostalgic for.
Army looks to popular ’80s slogan to help recruiting | Federal News Network

Unfortunately they don't have much to work with beyond that:

quote:

The slogan features in a new ad campaign meant to appeal to Generation Z and their parents.

quote:

"And as a child of the 80s, I am super excited that we are bringing back a reinvented version of ‘be all you can be.’”

Finger on the pulse of America's youth

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Danann posted:

I'm more surprised there's specified payment for hypothetical 8-year privates.
That sounds like a topic for the Epstein thread, though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Slavvy posted:

Christ in heaven read some goddamn theory, gently caress
Liberal electoralism leading to meaningful change benefiting the working class at the expense of the bourgeois - many such cases!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mister Bates posted:

the Panther tank had a good chance of stripping the teeth off every gear in the transmission and permanently immobilizing itself if the driver shifted into third gear too vigorously, and you had to dismantle almost the entire tank to get in there and fix the drat thing
Germans have such a hard on for making everything impossible to service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ideological limitations can change abruptly.
Sure, but you're talking an actual revolution at that point, which probably means the original reasons for a foreign war are moot.