Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and lol all y’all pro Assad?

Everyone loves a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

shrike82 posted:

he'll probably go like gaddafi at some point

shrike82 posted:

the us getting to kill a bunch of young russian males with no blowback given that russia is in a demographic crisis is pretty neat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Who must go?

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Sep 1, 2022

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Is it even possible to sanction China?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

genericnick posted:

Does the American public understand other countries?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

genericnick posted:

Does the American public understand?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Even people who know how hosed the west is seem to believe, or maybe hope that if poo poo hits the fan then the adults will come back and take charge. What I'm learning here is that there is nothing left for them to take charge of. Institutions have been completely hollowed out.

When I think of what would be necessary for the US to win a war with China, the complete restructuring of our industry and government. The way the government would have to wrest control back from the private sector. The way officials and ceos would have to face consequences for loving up. The way labor power would be resurgent. I half jokingly think those changes needed to win would be more devastating to the people in power than losing the war.

I guess none of that matters because nukes.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

no not really. it’s very much barges and ships in the US.

even far inland in the rust belt inland. it’s ships on the Great Lakes and barges down the Mississippi and out the seaway. steel manufacturing is almost always port based and where it concentrated to in the United States over the last 70 years is definitely port based I don’t think any primarily rail based centers of production here survived. outside out boutique arc furnace stuff.

I literally have to go do work at a steel mill every week and this is complete horseshit.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I used to do the draft surveys on the vessel discharges for pellets , fines, etc at several major us steel mills for a solid decade.

Sounds like you've been out of the biz too long then. Your claim that rail is significantly less important than shipping is pure ignorance. Like I'm sure that you used to know what is sent by ship,, but did it not occur to you that you should know what is sent by rail as well if you were making a comparison?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hell I'll make it easy. Domestically rail is twice as important as ship in the US, at keast as of 2017.

https://www.bts.gov/topics/freight-transportation/freight-shipments-mode

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
FF posted:

War, beyond the economic reasons given, is a social phenomenon. Neoliberals believe "there is no such thing as society". Ergo, they cannot go to war.

I mean, this seems like the crux of the matter and a distillation of the entire thread. This all you need to know.

The question is whether the West will stumble into war anyway trying to bully China like they do everyone else, then whether or not they can reform society into something functional in the middle of China beating us. I guess the final question is if the nukes will fly.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

here’s what I think would trigger it. another country assuming we can’t do it anymore and acting on that assumption.

Isn't it too late at that point?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Lostconfused posted:

Central Asia is probably the next big hot spot yeah.

Not content to simply aggravate Russia or China one at a time, the US is going to stick its dick right between them to piss off both at once.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Centrist Committee posted:

bar ran duning krugerishly: yes, but here is why you’re wrong…

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

ma i married a tuna posted:

I think some moths also have a quick epileptic fit when hit with echolocation, resulting in erratic evasive manoeuvering.

All my life I've thought that moths had a kinda goofy wing shape and method of flying compared to other insects. They seem slower and less coordinated. It never even occurred to me that it could be a trade off for anti echo location stealth. I wonder if butterflies are the same way.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

stephenthinkpad posted:

China had to reform the domestic economy significantly in order to join the WTO. Most of the "letting go of factory workers who had had iron rice bowl since they joined the factories" were done before 2001 in the Jiang/Zhu era. There were tons of books of "what happen when we joined WTO" before that.
China's export economy was already partly integrated to world globalization via HK/Taiwan/oversea Chinese foreign investment before 2001. Maybe this topic doesn't belong to this thread.

China's economy and the reasons it is what it is are directly related to why The US will lose WW3. The story has 2 sides, the decline of the western empire and the rise of the eastern. It's interesting in how it's tied together. The US crippled it's industrial capacity for short term gains and to cripple labor power. China took advantage of that.

I'm curious, at the time the US was de-industrializing, what was our plan to keep China down after they ramped up? I'm assuming allowing China into the WTO was some kind of a trap, how did they avoid it?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Slavvy posted:

That's all I can think of on short notice

A.I.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
My industry is in the private sector, not military, but it is so loving depressing trying to scrounge around and make ancient equipment work. Especially when you know the money to update exists it's just being siphoned elsewhere because the system has rotted. I feel for those guys in the nuke silos.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Real hurthling! posted:

a marine ejected by accident

We've all been there

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
What im learning from this discussion is that the US needs to get to work crippling France. They still have a functional arms industry.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Is that true? I think they still have their own little mini empire in Africa.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
You know what? Good for them. It's much easier being a colony. What would be the point of Australia having an independent foreign policy and military? What would they do with it?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

The Oldest Man posted:

you know the US is still making them pay for the aukus sub deal right

A vassal has to pay tribute.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Do the Chinese have any kind of academic discipline where they study the US to learn how not to run an empire? It would make for an interesting degree.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Well the idea is that grandpa built an empire, and now his grandkids are too stupid to even maintain it, let alone create their own.

On the other hand, you could say that any idiot could have made the US the dominant power after WW2, that the factor wasn't any brilliance on our part but rather just Europe committing suicide. You could also say that now, decades later, the "natural order" of a multi polar world is reasserting itself as it was always going to, and that even the Kissingers and Nixon's in their prime couldn't stop it.

I personally believe the former. That "winning" makes you complacent, but I can certainly find some merit in the idea that everyone was always this dumb.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I had a cousin who got in trouble when he was 19 and the judge gave him the choice between prison or join the army, which is not a thing I thought still existed.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Friends friends, please. There is no need to argue about whether a desperate and flailing US will use nukes as the empire crumbles or if fear of retaliation will rule the day. You'll have an answer within your lifetime, and quite possibly before the end of the decade. Then you can come back here ( hopefully) and gloat. But keep your tempers down here in the war thread.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Even back in the 80s, the Brits were heavily dependent on the Americans to be able to have their little war. Now, not only is everyone weaker, but the US is a little busy.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Frosted Flake posted:

I have lifelong injuries from the artillery and I still love the artillery so, idk

You post well enough that I don't think your brain got scrambled. I assume hearing loss?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

poisonpill posted:

Where did all that money go

Toud think you’d end up with some functional military equipment by accident after spending trillions of dollars over years. it seems harder to not build anything.

Can someone help me out here. why not just build a tank that works? why can the defense contractors not make a tank? didn’t congress require the army to keep those factories open?

If you have actual industries, that's an opportunity for labor to gain power. Send the factories oversees to use cheap semi slave labor to break the unions. Break up production so that the parts for a plane are sourced from 30 different states instead of a central industrial area. Do away with pensions, lower salaries, and force lower skilled workers to try to do the work. Worship the small business owners so that any remaining capacity is decentralized.

Actually building something that works would require having actual industry. If you have real industry, the skilled workers can bargain to keep more of their value. To keep the owners from just grifting everything, the government would have to exercise some control over factory owners. Since the government nominally answers to the common people, that control could lead to rights and environmental regulation and what not.

Maybe someone else could explain it better, but the real enemy of the United States is it's own labor force. Those people must be kept down so that the elites can continue to suck up excess profits. It's not sustainable because you cannot maintain an industrial society under those conditions.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

VoicesCanBe posted:

From what I remember Civ doesn't have an economic victory condition, right? It has technology but nothing explicitly tied to economics. That seems like a pretty silly oversight.

No, but Alpha Centauri did. It was the cost to mind control the remaining bases. I guess you could compare that to the cost for the US to buy the loyalty of the elite in every country. We've already got Europe.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Imagine a factory owner in Russia or China telling the government "That order you put in is going to be late and cost over runs means you owe us 4 times more than what we agreed to. Actually just forget about it. We're not doing it unless you place a bigger order".

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Hatebag posted:

there's gotta be some kinda "behold: a man!" joke where nato's definition of some materiel is phrased in a misinterpretable way but i don't have the wherewithal to make it

Pretend I posted a picture of that penguin in Norway that they made a general and do photo ops of it inspecting the troops. "Behold an army"

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Do they even have explosives in them or is it purely a kinetic kill vehicle?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Ardennes posted:

It is interesting to think of WW1/WW2 as twin intermissions that gave some temporary respite traditional Anglo ire at the Russkis.

More and more im thinking of WW2 as a war between the anglos and the Soviets with Britain and France using Germany as a proxy, until the Nazis turned and bit the hand that was feeding them. A theme which has been repeated over and over with the Brits and later Americans.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

would you like to discuss my rear end??

Does it ever get jealous over the poo poo coming out of your mouth?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

?? are you okay?

I'm nearly crippled but still have to go to work, but thanks for asking.

It's just one of my favorite sayings concerning asses. I realize now it came off as needlessly aggressive.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Also, and correct me please if I'm wrong, didn't the Soviets do less of taking Polish land in that treaty, and more of making Poland give back what they took from Ukraine in the Polish-Ukraine war of 1918? Maybe I'm misremembering something I'd read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Hmm. Yes let's take on Russia and China. A pointless two front war against two separate major world powers, both of which would normally never work together but who have found common ground in being sick of the bullshit. Oh also we're facilitating a genocide against a semitic peoples at the same time. Modern USA reminds me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it.