Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Aldyn

quote:

Arldyn

quote:

Ardyen

getting off to a smashing start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Such a bad villain we can't even remember his name.

your unique mania against the characters of final fantasy xv is noted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the years have not softened my feelings towards FF13, even with the release of its much better sequels

all it ever did was waste its potential and waste my time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Noctis would sit in a corner and brood so okay.

noctis is a napper, not a brooder

he's pretty stoked about life in general considering his circumstances

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah i'm just going to pretend that entire episode never happened

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

What I saw of Episode Ardyn's ending was very hosed up and left me with an uneasy feeling in my gut, so I went ahead and watched someone's playthrough of it (it's about 2 hours long, no big deal). Something I never felt like I had to do with any of the other Episodes, even Gladio's. There's a lot of thoughts in my head right now that I'll have to order properly later in one big blah blah blah post, but suffice it to say, I think it's a bad Episode, and I don't think it is worth buying. It's a sad end to a game.

it's the worst attempt at story expansion i've seen since burial at sea

ardyn's fate was already plenty tragic as first explained in the game and had a nice undertone of old-testament ineffability to it - his good intentions in curing the plague didn't matter, because the gods were judging events by other standards. making the whole thing a deliberate gambit by bahamut for the sake of "maintaining balance" is not only miserably cliche and leaves a huge collection of hanging threads, it also contradicts everything else revealed about the gods - even ifrit came across as righteously aggrieved in his expanded backstory, but if the chief god of the pantheon is the one pulling the strings behind all the misery then they're either collaborators or feckless chumps

it turns a story about maintaining your humanity in the face of cosmic indifference (noctis and ardyn both condemned by their destiny, but noctis finding comfort in the time he has and the people he knows while ardyn is left alone and tries to tear everything down with him) into yet another boilerplate rage-against-the-heavens plot

what a total, pointless mistake

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if anything the characters in FFXIII go through anti-development, losing everything interesting or conflicted about themselves to become blank-eyed exposition machines by chapter 10 or so

snow in particular had a neat thing going where his heroic bravado was just a thin excuse for him to indulge his borderline-suicidal self-loathing (leading to his eidolon fight, where the shiva sisters force him to decide whether he really wants to live by tanking as many of their blows as possible), and then the game just forgets about it until Lightning Returns

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oath2order posted:

I beat FFXV a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. I really went into it almost grudgingly. "Final Fantasy hasn't been good in years but I might as well go on this beautiful boy adventure" but once the new content started kicking in it was incredible. Honestly the hardest I've been hit by a game in a long time.

I feel almost like I've been lied to about 15 being bad, though I can see where, without the new content, a number of big story beats just fall entirely flat.

even at release people were mixed-at-best on most of the content but near-universally agreed that the ending was superb

as for the new content, most of it was decent but the "season 2" dlc's looked to be on track to ruin everything interesting about the game's story so thank god they got canned

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the game's better plot points imo is when WEAPON wakes up

the planet's last line of defense looks at the world-eating sentient virus merged with the deranged super-soldier, then it looks at the human race, and immediately decides the latter's gotta go

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Here is the cut DLC descriptions with the concept art.

https://twitter.com/FFplanet/status/1121818746455089152

this is complete trash

thank god SE's ineptitude smothered this in the crib

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SE's tight-lipped about the details but tabata left to form his own studio before the second round of DLC could enter development, so only the ardyn episode got made

it was later revealed that the new dlc's would have totally changed the game's original story (and for the worse, to a degree i haven't seen since Burial at Sea), so tabata's resignation could have been due to personal ambition, frustration with management, creative differences or any combination of the three

either way he was one of the few competent project managers SE had left, and now all that remains is the FFXIV team and the shambling revenant of tetsuya nomura

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

S.J. posted:

This is the most backwards rear end, tone-deaf poo poo I can imagine. Holy gently caress. At no point does any of that follow from the actual story of the loving game.

FFXV from Tabata: the world is capricious and often unkind but it's better to enjoy the time you have with the people you know, rather than retreating into isolation and nursing your bitterness over the hand you were dealt

FFXV without Tabata: so god is evil and you kill him, yeah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it doesn't even jibe with the lore they added in the re-release, where Shiva puts the brakes on the game to deliver lengthy exposition on how the gods were so fond of humanity that the entire pantheon banded together to smack down the one who actually chose to go scorched-earth on them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If you believe the spoilers that turned out to have been bahamut. It is still dumb but I also don't necessarily believe it is all SE. Almost all of the Directors games have a secret happier outcome or hint at one.

it was explicitly ifrit! it was what kicked off the starscourge in the first place!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Man Crestholm Channels can suck my loving dick, pardon my French.

the location of the headlights in that place is downright mean

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

romanowski posted:

I'm playing FF8 for the first time and I'm not quite sure what to make of the junction system but I've always heard negative things so I'm wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind going into it? It seems kind of overwhelming but that might just be because the tutorials dump a lot of info on you at once.

you can equip spells to jack up your stats. since spells are exceedingly easy (if initially tedious) to acquire, this means you can go trotting around with endgame-quality stats before you hit the end of the first disc

that's about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i almost forgot cloud spends the first half of the game hosting an entire dinner party's worth of voices in his head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nojima is senile and nomura is nomura

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
an environmentalist message from yoko taro would probably be excellent if he felt like sinking his teeth into it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I will be legit annoyed if they forget that Tifa was actually the demure princess type and Aerith was the tomboy maniac.

demure princess with possibly clinical codepedency disorder to boot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I do not relish the resurgence of FF7 Discourse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no one remembers anything about FF7, its power is fearsome that way

cloud is a well-meaning but severely mentally ill young man who spends the first leg of his adventure vacillating between obnoxious swagger and barely-controlled migraine-accompanying freakouts because there are two different personalities and like five different voices jostling for control inside of his chemical-soaked brain. the only person who knows how broken he really is at the start is his aforementioned co-dependent childhood friend who enables his illness due to her own guilt and attachment issues, and then he meets another girl who decides to start shamelessly flirting with him because he has a passing resemblance to her old boyfriend, very quickly realizes how bad a decision that was, and spends the rest of their adventure trying to find a way to apologize for it only to get killed before she can spit it out

he has his memetic lines but people tend not to remember stuff like his patient efforts to talk yuffie through her motion sickness or how he just rolls his eyes and goes along with all the insanity at the junon parade. in other circumstances he'd be the generically nice small-town everykid from less memorable JRPG's, but shinra pumping him full of mako and jenova cells derailed that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I think there's a much more interesting story to tell with Tifa where the reason she doesn't contradict Cloud's story is because she's not sure if she's the one who is all hosed up. After all she went through a lot of trauma too, and if anything Cloud's version of events make more sense since he claims to be a Soldier who went to Nibelheim and he actually is a strong as gently caress dude with mako eyes who has first-hand knowledge of the events there.

Anyways you can read all about it in my fan project which will be released in approximately 12 years, just before the official remake.

iirc she's pretty sure that the problem is in cloud, since when she first reunited him he was slumped against a lightpost and drooling down his chin until he recognized her, at which point he instantly snapped into a totally unfamiliar personality

she just gets more nervous when he recounts the Nibelheim incident and all the inconsistencies start to pile up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm a tonberry man, m'self

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what's the best ff7 port anyway

there's like ten of them at this point and all i know about any of them is that the initial pc port had terrible squiggly MIDI soundtracks because square lost the original files

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that FF7 uprezzing mod looks very nice

shame that making FF7 moddable is a pain in the rear end

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Max Coveri posted:

Hey folks, I'm gonna play Final Fantasy VII for the first time (not my first FF though) on Steam. Are there any graphical/performance enhancing mods for it or should I play it as is?

the remako mod looks excellent but actually installing it is a bit of a task

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is very annoying that if you want to get the FF7 remako mod to work you have to move your entire steam directory, since the non-steam pc version of the game doesn't seem to be available in US territories anymore

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
attempting to install the remako mod taught me a couple things

- modding ff7 is a madman's labor
- the music sounds like rear end even after the graphical upgrade works, which rather defeats the whole point

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
replaced the .ogg files already, it doesn’t help (even though they sound fine when played directly via VLC)

my best guess is that the moddable version of FF7 you need to create for the Remako mod filters all the .ogg files through a low quality MIDI player, which is more of a headache to fix than I’m going to bother with

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

You can just make a secondary steam directory and only install FF7 in it. The music should be fine without any fiddling, I think.

i migrated over the directory with little trouble, but the music's borked no matter what i do

i'm probably just going to walk away from the whole experiment, if i can't get the chimes of Anxious Heart juuuust right then what is even the point

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

okay fine, lower-quality

the music files themselves are fine when played directly so something must be happening with the game executable itself to make them sound like they're being played on a block of wood

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
following up on the ff7 remako mod - i confirmed that the base Steam version plays the proper version of the soundtrack, but the moddable version you need to create for Remako to work reverts to the crappy 1998 PC version of the songs

it's the darndest thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

I'm not sure what's going wrong for you buddy, I did the conversion and installed remako and it 100% has the original music. Did you mess about with the music files at all?

nope, and i redid the whole process just to make sure

the 1998 files literally don't exist anywhere in the FF7 directory so my only guess is that the modded version is playing the original music files with a different codec or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ap farming isn't necessary anyway unless you want to beat emerald/ruby, since the best way to rack up enough gil to get knights of the round is to sell off mastered All materia

also i finally got the music on the remako mod working, yippee

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sephiroth is probably the one at the steering wheel in their partnership, but his will and his power have been augmented by Jenova’s appetite

the real point of their relationship is that the Planet’s greatest threat (other than humanity itself) has been made even more dangerous thanks to a product of mankind’s hubris. Sephiroth is the crown jewel of Shinra’s tinkering and he turns on them, and even that’s not enough for Hojo, who’s probably the biggest actual villain the story has

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mega64 posted:

This is the best part of the FF7 EU.

If anyone deserves to be replaced in the FF7 cast it's loving Vincent.

iscar matthias your time has come

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never knew that the updated script for the FF7 rereleases still doesn’t fix the warning for Guard Scorpion

guess it’s become too much of a classic to lose

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ambiguity of FF7's ending was intentional and another reason the compilation shouldn't exist. it's a persistent question throughout the game whether the Planet will just decide it's better off without the human race when all is said and done, and at the last moment it looks like that might be the case until aeris petitions in their favor and banishes meteor. even then, what humanity does with their second chance is left up in the air, with only the abandoned and overgrown remains of midgar providing evidence one way or another

imo the only part of the story that gets murky is the huge materia hunt, because you're never really given a clear reason why you're sabotaging shinra's operation without any sort of counter-plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Why does Seifer hold his gunblade like a moron, the intro makes it seem like those are super heavy

he's imitating a lovely movie he saw as a kid that starred an idiot named laguna loire