Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Haven’t all the ideas Lucas had been ridiculously questionable and dumb? Like you read up poo poo about what his original vision for Star Wars was and it just sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever and it was only parred back to a decent 70s sci-fi by a bunch of people on the project constantly telling him that this poo poo he was planning was dumb and forcing his hand to change it.

Lucas core strength is pulling from pop culture and just remixing it for mass audiences, if you do enough regressions on the original Star Wars story it’s just basically Dune with tropes pulled from other old films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Edgar posted:

None of the characters are saying "Where's poochie?" In that commercial.

Gonna be honest if these films hard pivoted into needing to find Poochie and his home planet I’d probably pay to see them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

1redflag posted:

Like, if a Jedi is having ED problem, can they use the force to make their dick hard, or do you think they just make a like, invisible force-dildo, and if so, are midicholians like stds?

I think you just drink the blue space milk. That was pretty clear from the last film.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey guys here’s a wacky idea.

When your actor dies between films, recast. Don’t use scraps of unused footage, don’t turn them into a cgi cartoon, recast. Audiences aren’t so retarded that they won’t understand “oh character is another actor now I guess oh well”

Or just gently write them out of the story

I honestly blame the Sopranos for this, that old woman died and it was the most awkward poo poo ever to watch some CGI’d mess spew ADR lines off camera but everyone ran with it cause you can’t say “gently caress the tribute to this old lady this was complete poo poo”

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Remember when Dune did crazy poo poo where some minor character became a space worm god and then it moved 10000 years into the future and was about what he was doing then. Remember how that was the most interesting book in the series?

Yeah let’s just have it being about the Death Star and the emperor again like all the other films.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

So are there any genuine Star Wars fans here who can tell me why the franchise is so obsessed with the Death Star and Death Star-alikes? Seriously after 2 Death Stars, a side movie about the Death Star, and Starkiller Base why are we still going back to this well? Like does it do anything for you guys?

No shame if it does, I like loving Marvel movies and those always end up with the hero fighting somebody with identical powers to the protagonist, I just don't know if I'm missing something and Star Wars fans really are like "gently caress yeah Death Star" no matter the context.

It’s the only interesting unique concept the franchise has aside from laser swords?

Like the concept is cool but painfully under utilized outside of the first film. I know the star base or whatever blew up like twenty planets we never saw in TFA but really who loving cares it had zero effect on the plot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a bad story told by a poor storyteller. David Gerrold (Star Trek TOS writer and author) had this to say about JJ's take on Star Trek, and I think it carries over to what he did with TFA:

The movies want you to see big flashy scenes, but don't do anything to develop the universe or the characters.

This is the first coherent and sensible explanation I’ve seen for why Luke was drinking that alien milk in the last film.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So much of the plot writing in these films felt like the writers and the studio wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Like you can’t have the empire be defeated but still be this super powerful villain. Nor can you have a a brand new original cast put into a plot where all the originals help them find the original hero from the first films, nobody is gonna give a poo poo about the new cast if that happens.

In retrospect given the extent to which they used the original cast this trilogy actually should’ve been.

1. Rebel has formed government and is stamping out the old last ditches of the empire, but some key event happens that turns the tides. Like say the rebels had a giant ship and the empire smuggled plans on how to destroy it and executed that plan.

2. Former empire continues to gain traction thanks to Kylo being a charismatic leader, Han comes out of retirement out of guilt and spends the film searching for Luke.

3. Giant rear end finale with the LOTR second film battle that we’ve seen rehashed in every loving fantasy film ever since.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

I propose a new gang tag: Mark's Milkers

👍

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bink’s Dinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014