Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Find a theater that will let you pay for a ticket for cats but walk in to star wars. It's the Only Moral Option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

But I don't want to express financial approval toward furry sex weirds, either. That's not moral. There will probably be a good movie to pay for instead of Cats

I don't think there will be any good movies, so it may as well be cats, the funniest option. I hope for you to be right but don't expect it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Intensely weird that 3 star wars threads had independent essentially simultaneous correct TLJ takedown posts. As we get closer to the Event the posting singularity is approaching

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8 has a powerful “beat you into submission with stupidity” effect due to being so stupid and feeling so much longer than it actually is. For people who don’t give a poo poo this actually has a positive impact on the reception since they accept the many early signals to turn brain off and just enjoy the pretty good visuals. But if you don’t go along I can definitely see coming out feeling concussed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

edit: double post- meant for the Star Wars thread, not the Star Wars thread

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 29, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I cannot stress enough about how no one at all gives a poo poo about any of this at all, and how insufferable it is, let alone applied to star wars. Please crawl in a hole some where

Please keep all prequel defense posts in the designated prequel defense zone (cinema discusso)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Weird to be reminded that good posts about star wars are possible

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's wild that this, out of all, turned out to be the best star wars thread

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope space benicio is doing well out there somewhere, out of all the heroes and villains of the sequel trilogy, he in his narrow pursuit of self interest might somehow be the least repulsive

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Didn't he die? I'm like 99% sure he died. Also he looks like a character from a children tv program about pirates.

No he just leaves. Space benicio's arc was that he took advantage of a bunch of stupid people and made off with a shipload of nazi gold. Everything he said about the futility of fighting in the conflict was pretty much correct and he faced no consequences for his actions to speak of. Good character

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every star wars thread is like this and is rated 2, except the RLM thread which is buoyed to 3 by the enjoyment of rich evans

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately anakin failed the working class by choosing to date a turbolib like padme. For this alone he was unworthy of redemption

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Padme at least was an elected royalty turbolib (lol), so I guess anakin has that in his defense. Really it's han, dating a hereditary royalty turbolib albeit adopted, who is the truly shameful one

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 6, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We already have evil yoda. He's called yoda

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If luke really felt sorry and was over the trauma, presumably he could/would have turned himself over to the space police, pleaded guilty, and done his time in space jail. Instead he was a sovcit who decided he should get to serve as his own judge, jury, and executioner

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The whole "Luke had one moment of weakness he didn't act on" thing relies on trusting luke's "real" account, which seems suspect at best considering his prior lies about it and his subsequent seemingly insane actions. I'm not going to dance around it here, let's just face it that he was sickened by his own desire, with the only question being whether before the act or after. This puts kylo's subsequent actions (escape at all costs) and luke's subsequent gross dunks in the proper light

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unless you want to appeal to the comic books and novels (let's not) I would charitably say the movie leaves it pretty much open between kylo killing people while escaping and luke's acolytes trying to kill him for seemingly trying to kill luke

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The fact of the matter is that this entire trilogy was horribly rushed and thrown together as fast as humanly possible, leading to use of poorly thought out scripts that fall apart under even mild inspection. That said star wars 8 in particular is so weird and jank that at least it falls apart in interestingly bizarre ways

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The military industrial complex thing honestly might be one of the most bizarre things in the bizarre film, just because I can't believe rian thought whoever was going to come after him would ever in a million years pick up and continue that thread. As it is it will sit there forever as several mains reaching consensus about who the real villain is, then never talking about it again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I looked at the wook and even it doesn’t try justifying why luke left the map with R2. For some reason I thought it had been retconned to sorta make some weak rear end kind of sense, but lol no :effort:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I looked at reddit (I know, I know) and it seems like the map defenders have logged on and settled on saying that it was actually a map to the first jedi temple all along, which is merely where everyone correctly guessed luke went. All the times they call it 'the map to luke' is merely shorthand for this. Also below exists in a supposedly canon source but was a mistake and should be disregarded. In conclusion, I have now almost certainly thought about the treasure map longer than JJ did

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They also didn't know where the temple was- only that wherever it was, that was probably where luke would go. Not gonna argue with it being asinine for sure though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I maintain that it would have been fine to make luke an insane monster, and fine for him to get a darth vader style death redemption. The problem is the movie also wanted to have the cake too and make luke the big darn inspirational hero who rekindles the rebellion etc etc. This completely turns off and confuses people in a similar way that having everyone in the rebellion honoring vader at the end of rotj would have

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Luke earns insane monster status in the actions glided over to contrive him being in secret mystery exile, eg admitting guilt but refusing to face any kind of punishment within the legal framework he supposedly believes in and fought to establish, refusing to give han and leia any information about what he did to their son, deliberately leaving behind map fragments to his location purely as a gaslighting exercise as previously discussed, etc

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't that literally what happens at the end of rotj though? They bring Vader's body down and cremate it like he's an old friend instead of just letting it blow up on the death star?

I would say that it's pretty much only luke and maybe leia who give a poo poo, as appropriate. Even then it feels like an insane stretch to say anyone in the rebellion is calling vader a hero of the rebellion

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The discourse can really only go up from TLJ. No one has as much skin in the game this time, either on the "woke disney" or "actual nazi" sides of the debate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's just not that much to say about JJ films. He's a hack and he hacks movies together. Whereas the bizarre badness of TLJ was complex and rich enough to sustain an entire ecosystem of embarrassing apologists and enraged nazis in forever war. We may not see its like again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kazak posted:

Buy a ticket to CATS and sneak in to ROS. Worst case star wars keeps sucking and we get a CATS cinematic universe

I wanted to do this but all the good theaters here have assigned seating and I fear the cops. Alas but I'm not brave enough to make a stand for the cats cinematic universe

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sheeve and Shephanie Palpatine

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The excitement certainly seems to be at a fever pitch. Everyone is dying to see the film

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Give JJ some credit, he knew he couldn't do it all by himself this time as far as the writing goes. He admitted he needed help- from the best of the best. And lo, chris terrio was available

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Have no fear, if the spoilers are any indication this movie somehow finds a way to make even palpatine lame- a feat not even lucas was able to accomplish

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't believe boolio is loving dead

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

my dog died im sad posted:

Lol. I wish, it's one of those things were myself or a co-worker hasn't gone to one and he takes it super personally and is passive aggressive about it for months.

Instead of getting a Fred Meyer gift card as a staff Xmas gift, we're getting star wars. He keeps calling it our Xmas 'bonus'.

:sever:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm pretty fond of kojima's take on TLJ in his rolling stone column but it mostly got scrubbed from the internet. Preserved here.

kojimmer posted:

The revolutionary age of toppling kings is past. Star "Wars" has entered a new era of festivity, welcome to one and all. The "all flash and no blood" red plumes on the salt planet signify this change of stance. To ensure the stability and prosperity of the kingdom, a festival is held each year as part of a never-ending celebration. This is what it means for Disney, not George Lucas, to helm the Star Wars franchise. In the magic kingdom anyone can become prince or princess, no blood is spilled and there are no revolutions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jivjov v2 has logged on, and just in time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm really not opposed to doing evil luke, it just needed to be done better. For one thing he needed to actually be evil instead of a secret inspirational hero blah whatever, and for another thing it needed to be better thought out to avoid him being guilty of lots of other unconscionable stuff like not bothering to tell han/leia/any of the other parents of dead and missing children what happened, gas lighting treasure map exercise, etc

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Molestation doesn’t seem like that crazy of a read, if anything it makes the whole thing make a lot more sense. Ben is ambiguously aged at the best of times though, maybe he was of age and luke just wanted some of that weird weird face

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably better even assuming JJ ~ modern spielberg, since spielberg would be more resistant to studio bullying (but this is also the reason why it would never be on the table)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC he's a circa LF era SA exile who is now a trolling ronin on twitter. He's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In general all the star wars threads are rated 2 or 3. It seems harsh to say the least