Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't know if I think this episode is good or not but I will say Tormund loving owns.

Almost as much as the Hound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TyrantWD posted:

The biggest problem people seem to have with the sex scene is that we got to know Arya when Maisie Williams was 12, and somehow still looks 12.

She doesn't look 12 at all she just has a very round head. When she makes any kind of facial expression besides boredom she definitely looks like she's in her 20s.

She'd also extremely short so I guess that plays into it as well. Gendry is like a good foot and a half above her.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The pieces all run together to form a complete skeleton

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Did anybody NOT call Arya ninjaing the Night King at the last second because it was so telegraphed

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Did Grey Worm die? It was so loving dark and/or brown I have no idea.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also sending the dothraki in a preemptive charge against...nobody knows what (because they couldn't see) was dumb as poo poo.

RIP Dothraki, crossed the sea and then did nothing at all for two seasons.

Edit: also, Tyrion and Sansa are totally ending up married that seems obvious.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rosalind posted:

Also what the gently caress was Bran warging into the crows the whole time for? What did that accomplish?

I kept waiting for the payoff but in the end, as usual, Bran's story meant nothing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked the overall feeling of “oh god, they are totally overwhelmed, everyone is totally hosed” feeling at first but then the longer it went on the more it became obvious it was just gonna be a “someone kills the night king right as things are at their worst” thing. The actual scene/having it be Arya was cool though.

Not a fan of the visuals. It did get better as it went on, to its credit, but whether it was an artistic or a budgetary decision, so much of it being almost impossible to make out did not work for me at all.

They really wimped out on killing more leads, huh? Coulda done more.

Got seriously tense at the end, which was great, but overall, I dunno. I definitely feel pretty let down.

Jorah, Theon, Beric, and Lady Mormont dying was more than I expected to be honest. House Mormont is truly dead.

Also did Jon's dragon die or not?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Roman Reigns posted:

Surprised they didn't give Jorah some parting words. Not even a quiet "Khaleesi..."

"I'm hurt..."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I said come in! posted:

Well, we got Jorah for our important character death in my opinion. He has been on the show since episode 1.

Theon too!

And Theon just died to buy Arya a few seconds because all of a sudden she was afraid, uncharacteristically.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The dragons were basically just hanging out the whole time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Did Ghost get a dragonglass grill or something because otherwise there's no way he should have even been there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zotix posted:

So what makes dragon glass and valyrian steel weapons special that they can kill white walkers?

Supposedly that they were made by dragon's fire, which makes the Night King's immunity to dragon fire stupid as hell.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

bobjr posted:

They could have at least had the Night King say a cryptic word or sentence to Bran

No idea what would have been best though

"I am...inevitable."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Admiral Ray posted:

He did this in the Battle of the Blackwater too, though, he can't deal with fire. This is the first time he's been shown to be able to fight while terrified.

He did beat Beric despite being afraid of his flaming sword, to be fair.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I said come in! posted:

I still badly want GoT to have a Battlestar Galactica ending.

Flying the dragons into the sun? Sure, why not.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

He's already giving himself the excuses he needs. There is zero chance with this attitude that he will finish the books.

quote:

In a discussion about The Silmarillion , J.R.R. Tolkien’s posthumous pre-history of Middle-Earth, Martin defended his upcoming history of the Targaryens, Fire & Blood, pushing back against the idea that A Song of Ice and Fire will only continue to be loved if completed.

“You call LOTR ‘the main story,’ but if you had asked Tolkien, he would have said the SILMARILLION was his main story, his life’s work. Yet he was never able to complete it during his lifetime. Not because he didn’t care, however,” Martin wrote.

“Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.”

If Martin, age 69, never finishes A Song of Ice and Fire, it won’t erase HBO’s Game of Thrones, or the pleasure to be found in the six novels already released. But Martin emphasized that he has no desire to leave behind an incomplete work. “I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course,” he wrote, “but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.”

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

The Simarillion sucks so much rear end.

I like it :( But it's less of a novel and more of an intriguing (fake) history book. The writing itself is pretty bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raffles posted:

I thought Tolkien sent it to publishers when they wanted another Hobbit book and they were like "what the gently caress is this homie?" so he started writing LOTR instead.

Yeah Tolkien first tried to publish it in 1937, and he kept at it always intending to get to a final version but never getting there. It was absolutely meant to be published. He never saw it as being ready to be published, and he was right, but there's some cool stuff in there nonetheless.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raffles posted:

It's a shame Littlefinger wasn't around to politically outmaneuver the Night King.

"Chaos is a ladder, your Grace...and with that wall...you'll be needing quite a bit of it."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

He beat it!

But he did have to leave the show to fight it.

I think it was one of those times where the doctor told him he had 10 months to live and then 2 years later the doctor was like "oops, wrong kind of cancer my bad"

Well when you have late stage pancreatic cancer "you're going to die" is a pretty safe bet, it just happened to be the super rare form that is actually curable.

He did end up having to have a Whipple procedure IIRC which is no small thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

bobjr posted:

It’s still kind of funny to me that they put Ghost in the death charge and then show nothing of what happened to him, making everyone think he’s dead, only for him to still be kicking.

Especially since with no fire, dragonglass, or valyrian steel, there's literally nothing he can do to kill a wight.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Locking someone to die in a vault is also a particularly cruel death. Even Jaime, whom she hates, would never do that to somebody.

Her first interaction with anybody is also to demand they kneel and flaunt her dragons/threaten to burn them. She is a maniac

It's her own fault people would rather follow Jon, she's a raging rear end in a top hat and he's a kind but strong leader who should rule - but he isn't demanding it from anyone.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 8, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raccooon posted:

All of this except for the Tarlys has been portrayed as good things to the audience. That’s the problem. Bad writing leading to and she goes crazy at the end.

There have been multiple times her actions have been questioned / consequences shown, such as that Noble whose father opposed slavery being crucified.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

She doesn't do leading better than him, he's unquestionably the better leader because he gets people to follow him without fear(yeah he makes dumb decisions but so does she) - while fear is all she has. If she sits as the ruler, the second she's gone it would absolutely be war.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Plan Z posted:

Mostly only dumb people hated it because they can only think that it's "Tony dies, they just don't show it," versus the more likely explanation that the life and the way it affects Tony is going to be following Tony for however long he has left. It was really respectful by the show to just say "there's no end," and I think they did a really good job with it. It didn't help that the show runners gave absolutely stupid interviews afterwards going on about "We used 'Don't Stop Believing' because in life you like can't stop and we think that speaks to us," or something dumb. Right now, my boss thinks the current season is good because there's lots of fighting and Sansa is Legal and Hot (no joke) and the only problem is nobody's naked. He probably shares a lot with the average viewer or r/gameofthrones poster.

I think it works on multiple levels because it works in that sense but I'm 100% convinced he died. The member's only stuff wouldn't be put in place from the first episode to the last scene by accident. Especially because member's only guy was the only named extra in the scene.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean dany never killed a single person

Neither did Cersei, if we're being technical.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I think there's too much baggage there with the Mad King and then what Dany did, there's no way she could rule with any stability - there would always be rebellions or assassination attempts brewing. In any case when she dies, if she's not leaving an heir, it would throw the kingdoms into chaos because nobody could control Drogon and nobody would inspire the same fear she did.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

What? Most of the viewership isn't cynical nerds. Normals like this season just fine. :lol: that you think HBO should issue some sort of public apology because some pockets of the internet are losing their minds nit picking every second of every episode.

That said I agree it's been a bad season, but we are in an echo chamber here. Go talk to anyone at your job or do a cursory google search for game of thrones and you will find that most people are super into it and not freaking out about tactical realism or bad writing.

Just about everyone hates this season, for every normal who liked the Battle of winterfell there are two who say "I couldn't see anything :negative: "

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

my bony fealty posted:

if you are wondering what other fantasy tv show adaptations with a chance of quality there are then buckle up because we're about to get a flood in the next few years. everyone wants that sweet Game of Thrones audience.

The Witcher, Lord of the Rings, Gormenghast (!?), Conan, The Dark Tower, Narnia, Wheel of Time, Discworld, Broken Earth, and more! maybe some of these will be ok.

Consider Phlebas*

*there is no chance it works, it would basically need the budget of 3 AAA sci fi movies

edit: well not fantasy really but space opera

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chris James 2 posted:

You can do whatever you want with "did they really die" if it's not explicitly shown on-screen, but in terms of on-screen they're almost certainly not getting shown again in the 80 minutes of new footage the show has left to air in its history. That part of the story's done

One of the spinoffs will be Jaime, Cersei, Stannis, the Blackfish, Ellarya, and Tyene in a hilarious adventure as the ragtag crew of a pirate ship.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

JHomer722 posted:

Are there even any prominent houses left?

Technically, the Lannister, Stark, and Baratheon names/lordships will carry on. Yes they're through legitimization and it would need to be Sansa passing her name to her heir, but that's not unheard of (in the lore, that happened sometime back where all the Stark men died and the women carried the name on).

Edmure will carry on House Tully with his heir, Sam will carry on the Tarly name, Robin Arryn will carry on that name. The Martells have a shitton of heirs as stated before.

I think the major houses that are gone are the Umbers and Mormonts, which are not that major really, the Freys and Targaryens if Jon takes the black (and good riddance), and House Tyrell. But House Tyrell is going to be replaced by a new great house started by a hard bastard good at killing people.

Westeros will feel the effects of this war for a long time, and in reality the power transitions (especially a fat weak gently caress like Sam becoming the Lord Tarly, Edmure being reinstalled at Riverrun, the Imp taking over Casterly Rock, and Bronn getting Highgarden) shouldn't be easy. But they will be. Because there's no time left.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 14, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

bobjr posted:

Does Bronn have a house name? It would be kind of funny if he just made it House Bronn

It'd probably be Bronnson or something like that, the Lannisters started with a dude named Lann. He gets to pick it and tell his kids whatever their name is, and his grandsons get to ruin his family name.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Don't they call him Ser Bronn of the Blackwater already, or was that meant sarcastically

It's not a house name though, he doesn't have a house yet. It's just an honorary title.

Brienne was born Brienne Tarth but now she's Brienne of Tarth because she renounced her claim to her house (didn't want to be married off).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Telling your family who your real parents are = betrayal

Her whole claim to the throne is her birthright, so if there's someone with a better birthright, isn't it betraying them to try to ask them to keep it a secret?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Here's how the show should have ended:

-bells
-Dany looking pissed off
-Jump cut to burning King's Landing with the screams of dying children
-Tyrion looks at the camera, shrugs, and there's a Looney Tunes fade-out

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Wave posted:

Did Tyrion really tell on Varys? I wasn't even sure that was what actually happened.

Yes, and then he went up to Varys and said "I did it bro"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

Two hardboiled peasant detectives spend 10 minutes walking through the wreckage of King's Landing only saying "gently caress", settle on a theory that a dragon may have burned it all down.

"I got the crossbow, you got the coinpurse. It's all in the game, though, right?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Qwertycoatl posted:

Was there any explanation for why Tyrion convinces Varys that Jon would be a better king than Dany then rats him out when he tries to act on the suggestion?

The plot demanded that Varys find out, and also that he get burned alive, to match with previous foreshadowing. It's not like Jon is going to tell on Varys, and it's not like Sansa is going to tell Varys. So this illogical sequence of events is the only thing they could figure out to get to their planned endpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Alec Eiffel posted:

People who are unsatisfied with Cersei’s ignoble death are strange folk. The prophecy wasn’t in the show, which is unfortunate, but drat, she did not deserve a grandiloquent demise otherwise.

Hell, Tyrion can pretend that her and Jaime are sipping martinis in Pentos.

It was in the show, at the beginning of season 5.