Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I have a feeling D&D were those kids who when you were playing pretend battle or whatever on the playground always had forcefields or went “nuh uh, i have invincible armor, which actually kills you instead if you otherwise defeat me” :awesome:

Look into their family backgrounds, they are still those kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

massive spider posted:

I was wondering what would have made for a more thematically appropriate ending today and considered that, in a show basically about kings, lords, nobility, power, the feudal system and how all those things aren't as shiny and noble as they're portrayed in most fantasy - really the only ending that would have brought things to the right conclusion would have involved half the cast marching to the guillotine.

Say about GRRM what you will but he does a good job of repeatedly showing in the background that all the nobles' machinations are just absolutely terrible for the common folk and that, as bad as things might occasionally get for an individual noble, it's the common folk who do 99% of the suffering and dying and it doesn't even register as a thing, let alone a thing that matters, to even the most sympathetic protagonist nobles.

So yes, the only happy ending possible would be a full-on revolution by the common folk and the violent overthrow and destruction of each and every one of the noble houses.

The show does a much worse job of occasionally peeking behind the curtain and asking the viewer: "Are you sure the whole game of thrones plot is actually the most important story unfolding right now? Or is it all the bullshit power games of the 1%, none of whom you should root for, while a much greater tragedy is unfolding in front of your eyes if you only care to look?"

None of us would be even a lesser noble if we lived in the world of GoT. We'd be peasant #26 having our whole village burned down, and everyone we've ever known and cared about raped and tortured to death for fun by the Mountain and his squad of reavers to do a bit of strategic warfare.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 11, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Dual weilding always looks stupid, because it is stupid. Either give them proper armor and have them two hand their longswords properly, or give them sheilds.

Reminder that Spartacus was airing at the same time and just putting on an absolute clinic on fight scene choreography and cinematography. Not to mention hitting their loving story beats and delivering on a bittersweet ending.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 3, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Failsons of the Harpy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Show had many great actors. Great locations and sets, great costumes, great music, poor fight choreography, increasingly poo poo writers and the worst producers of all time. The result is rather unique imo:

On first watch the first 4 seasons (and especially the first) are good to great and very enjoyable.
Season 5-8 are progressively worse until they are objectively poo poo.
The way the arcs progress and are "resolved" and loose plot and character threads are left hanging all over the drat place makes the entire show utterly unrewatchable. A lot of the things that are cool, mysterious, foreboding or promising on first watch turn out not to lead to anything at all, or worse, lead to objective poo poo. I cannot fathom being able to enjoy even the beginning of this show on a second viewing after you have seen the entire show. Everything is just utterly poisoned by knowing either how little it matters or where it will end up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Even more amateur poo poo is that the burning of a whole bunch of supplies in a very war-torn and exhausted country also (ostensibly lol) experiencing a very long winter has no impact whatsoever on either side of the war.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Yeah, even the vaunted Golden Company lasted *checks notes* exactly 30 seconds.

This is even more hilarious when you know that historical battles were often all-day affairs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I always felt one of the more interesting questions about that sequence was whether Tywin was being truthful when he said he intended to have Tyrion take the black. He has no love for Tyrion but it would be a hit to the family name to have his son executed as a traitor.

It makes sense since the intention was also to have Ned take the black. It's this great release valve that prevents blood fueds. But welp failgrandson Joffrey got in the way of that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe its petty, but people just getting casually poked through plate armor is one of my biggest pet peeves of the show.

Why even wear armor??

The worst thing is the show makes a big deal of the efficacy of armour early on, such as when the Dothraki make fun of Jorah and then he brutally owns them (which also suggests these nomadic horseman comprising mostly horse archers and light cavalry don't regularly fight against heavily armoured opposition and/or don't understand where their strengths lie against such an opponent, which should spell bad news bears and some harsh lessons once they get to Westeros). Or when the Hound destroys Arya's water dancing poo poo and makes fun of her for believing Syrio had anything approaching a chance against knights in armour.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is there even anyone in the books who genuinely gives a poo poo about the commoners/peasantry?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Brienne is the kind of idiot who genuinely believes in the self-serving justification propaganda bullshit that is chivalry.

Brienne is Don Quixote, change my mind.

And lol, she still spends her whole life applying violence for nobles who patently give negative fucks about the peasantry and murder and sacrifice them at will.

An insane mind posted:

Brienne...maybe early Dany if you read her chapters in the most forgiving way. Past-Jaime seems to have done to some extent...the Sparrow? The problem for me is, the peasantry doesn't seem to have a presence beyond background populace in the books. You don't really know anyone's stance on them because they don't get mentioned at all. Caveat here is that it's been a while since I read the books.

I feel like this isn't really true. It's true none of the POV characters really take time to reflect on them much, but this I think shows how these nobles literally don't even spare a thought for these people as they a priori consider them beneath themselves. I give GRRM credit as a writer for repeatedly confronting the reader with the impact of all the nobles' petty scheming and power plays on the peasantry however. A careful reader is given to understand in no uncertain terms the absolute disaster taking place in Westeros amongst the smallfolk. It's why any modern reader having favorite characters who they hope will win the game of thrones or whatever severely misses the point, in my opinion. Literally every single loving noble, which means nearly every point of view character we get throughout the entire series, deserves a guillotine.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 20, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh I think absolutely most if not all of the characters we experience the world through have that attitude about burning, pillaging and murdering peasants in war. But you know, as readers we can choose whether or not to agree with them that their assessments are morally correct. And like, loving lol at defending feudalism in 2021.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

bobjr posted:

The dumber part is “The Tyrells didn’t actually have an army”, when their army was literally the reason Kings Landing didn’t get sacked in Season 2

It makes sense that the people from rich farmland in a medieval setting would lack warm bodies and the funds to equip them with weapons and armour. Whereas the people from the barren North and barren islands obviously would have armies. Because rough living makes hard men makes military might and easy living makes soft men makes military impotence and oops poo poo I accidentally adopted fascist ideology welp.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

False banner attack.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Also don't look up how old that actress was when GoT premiered.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

stev posted:

gently caress it, commission a full anime adaption.

I really can't imagine a reboot. To me seasons 1-3 were handled and cast pretty much perfectly (with a couple of notable exceptions), and season 4 is still pretty great even though the rot was starting to set in. Seeing a different Ned, Tyrion, Arya or Jon would just be bizarre, even if a bunch of time passes.

Let's not forget how Jack Gleeson acted the poo poo out of Joffrey.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Starsfan posted:

I never knew about this proposed Confederate tv show but seeing how everything shook out with Game of Thrones I wish that they had went ahead with that.

I love watching a train wreck more than almost anything else, and that would have been an all timer :(

It's not like you didn't get an all-timer train wreck though my dude.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Having worked in military intelligence I can tell you that anyone in that sector who isn't an outright chud hates 24 because it made all our jobs immensely harder, especially on the HUMINT side. And that extends to civilian agencies as well.

I’m sure it was primarily the show and not like, Gitmo, Bagram, Abu Ghraib, and countless black sites. Not to mention blatantly imperialist war.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's amazing that this just keeps happening. CSI made life hellish for prosecutors, because suddenly the jury pool is full of people who imagine prosecutors are able to deliver loving 8K quality satellite images of the killer doing the crime, together with reverse-hacked DNA sequences and all the dumb poo poo they have on CSI, and when that doesn't happen because life isn't a TV show, it must mean the guy didn't actually do it.

God forbid people become more skeptical of the evidence provided by US prosecutors before condemning people to a life of slavery and torture. Truly, my heart bleeds for the poor prosecutors.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Bran gets brutally shanked like 10 minutes after the end of the show.

Whoever did it quips "heh, guess you didn't see *that* coming".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

5 seasons of characters trying to warn about a building threat beyond the wall and nobody in power taking them seriously because "lol these white walkers were absolute chumps last time".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The people who really wanted to do a Confederacy Wins show took a story which prominently features non-racial slavery and decided to make it racial instead.

Really makes you think.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Alhazred posted:

There actually was one Norwegian king called Inge the Hunchback.

Was he called that to his face though?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's the kind of subtlety that 2nd half GoT has no place for. Like, it's the literal reaping of "The North Remembers" which was sown earlier. What did the show do with that cool line again anyway? Oh right... nothing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It’s such a hilarious pledge as that Glover motherfucker is gone again the second Jon needs him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's pretty hosed up that probably there'd have been more outcry against simulating her being raped rather than her actually be loving tortured for 10 hours.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So they nearly froze a baby for a shot that had no story impact whatsoever.

And they tortured a woman for 10 hours for a shot they ended up not using.

Cool, cool. Top quality showrunners these.

Zaphod42 posted:

When Arya killed the Night's King it made the white walker baby explode also, so she's a baby murderer.

Arya ended the Frey line. There were so many Freys that statistically it's unlikely none of them had a baby at the time of Arya's murder spree. So she already was one, it was just glossed over.

Also, the wall was supposedly built to keep out the Night King right? (rather than the Wildlings). So uhhh given what we know, would it really have been easier to build an impossibly large wall than just stab a dude who, as we have seen, is imminently stabable?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 26, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The showrunners view Arya genociding the Freys and brutally murdering Meryn Trant as unambiguous good deeds, so insofar as it would even occur to them that she has to murder babies to end the Frey line, she probably would just let them lie and allow the Twins to become a women's commune or whatever it is now that every adult male is dead.

Doing horrible things to your enemies yet letting them live will have no unforseen negative consequences at some unexpected time in the future I'm sure.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

romanowski posted:

well they do use some of it at least lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few0Obe2qKk

if it makes you feel better she probably was not literally strapped to the table for the full 10 hours

None of this should make anyone feel any better.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The most hilarious thing is that they could’ve solved all their problems by hiring competent writing staff and going hands off on the writing. They’d now be known as amazing show runners and probably be allowed to do that racist thing they wanted so much and also a Star War.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Instead all they got was millions and millions of dollars. Poor guys

I mean they were trust fund kids to begin with so they were never in a position where money would ever be a worry for them in their entire lives.

In a sane world this would immediately disqualify them from ever being allowed to shoulder any kind of responsibility but you know.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What we really needed was another utterly ineffective cavalry charge into the zombie horde for a cool visual effect.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

You remember in like Season 1 and 2 where they have battles but can't show them, like the Starks and Lannister armies meet and it just cuts to Rob being like "hey we caught the kingslayer!"

In a way, maybe we were saved by the budget. If D&D got to go whole hog back then, we'd have a detailed sequence where hundreds of Lannister cavalry just charge into a Stark spear wall and all die for no reason.

In retrospect it's hilarious that the seasons where they didn't have a budget for big battles were well received and thus they were granted more budget so they could do big battles. It's like, I get it, but at the same time it's also "oh people love A, so now let's spend more money to give them B instead of more A!". Big brain genius moves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I stroooongly agree.

The show was popular for the politicking and intrigue, so... they turned it into a fantasy heroic adventure :doh:

Insert clips of D&D talking about how bad they wanted the zombie polar bear and how they wanted the show to appeal to football players.

The hilarious thing is that apparently football players and loads of other people loving loved GoT when it was about politicking and intrigue. D&D just had such utter disdain for their audience and probably people in general, but what can we expect from a bunch of silver spooned failsons?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

At the very least, it's plain deceptive to promise something you have no intention of finishing, and continuing to promise things you know to be a lie is just dickhead poo poo, y'know?

It'ssm just douchey, and I think it's okay to feel that poo poo without implying anything needs to be done about it.

Yeah it's like, not cool.

And that's it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

50 Shades of Winter when?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This was also supposed to be foreshadowing about how this army, while it might be the scourge of Easteros or whatever, isn't necessarily going to do so well in Westeros against it's vastly different armies and in its vastly different climate.

But it ended up not mattering so oh well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It also implies that they only sent a portion of their cavalry to do a big dumb charge, not even fully committing to their own plan. But not for the reason that it was a dumb plan, because then they would've scrapped it altogether you'd think.

So instead during this pivotal battle which is like, seconds away from being a total loss, they use their formidable cavalry reserve to do....

Oh right yeah, nothing. They don't even take part in the battle.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If this was a god's plan it is a weak rear end loving god tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It was a spectacle made for the audience. Not a story of plausible events unfolding between believable characters that we get to see.

This poo poo should count as fully breaking the 4th wall, and not in a good way.

Also why are you excusing anything of this episode as artistic license? It is such pure, unmitigated garbage.