Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dave Hill wrote that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everybody's gonna die. Maybe Euron survives, maybe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh Cersei is dumb as gently caress too. Get, like, any other assassin for this job.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wiltsghost posted:

I wonder what weapon Arya is having made.

It's a spear. She had a picture of it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

I just realized of all the reunions they never had Jorah come across Lady Mormont, now I feel ripped off.

The most Lady Mormont thing would be for her to try to have him executed for his slaving crimes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Which character is gonna be the dramatic ice zombie that Jon Snow looks at with a goofy, hurt face in the final episode?

Probably Bran right? Bran is the new Night King and orders the zombies back to the north?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tino posted:

So why is the Jorah character still around? How much is the Jorah actor getting paid to show up for 3 minutes in every episode.

Well he introduced Sam to Dany. Can't really think of much else he could do though. Maybe get reamed out by Lady Mormont.

Other than that, he's cannon fodder. It'll inject some pathos into an episode when he gets murked by the ice dragon or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of the best ways the books set up Dany as a poo poo leader is the Quentyn Martell chapters. Those chapters rule. Dany makes a big show of freeing the slaves, but then bungles the aftermath, leaving the cities she's been through nightmare hellscapes. Quentyn leaves Dorne with idealistic dreams of having a big adventure with his best buds and wedding the dragon queen, and he gets ground into muck by the post-war dumpster fire Dany left in her wake.

Man those chapters ... they could have done them instead of the Sand Snakes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

what is even the point of the show? the fight against the zombies? the political war between the families? dany story? jon? whats even the point of anything that happen on screen?

I like to think this is part of a larger existential freakout you're having, and you're over in the car subforum at the same time going "What's even the point of Ferrari!?!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the Night's Watch repel a wildling attack on their big gate in Season 5 or so? Edd and someone else killed a giant?

You'd think the Others would have just gone right after that from the beginning if they were in position to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

IRC it was heavily implied that the Maesters were slowly poisoning the dragons and that's why they died out.

It really makes me sad to think that we are never getting a resolution or some kind of closure for the story. I have such positive feelings about the books and reading them as a child :(

There's a ton of loose threads that Martin wasn't going to sew up either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You think the Blackfish is coming back in the books? You think Brienne is gonna wind up doing anything at all? That black candle thing in wherever the maesters are? That stuff in Essos where there's two powerful factions waging a proxy war in a bunch of the free cities?

GRRM ain't gonna tie all that poo poo up either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

I'm not sure what your point is. People want some kind of closure for the main characters, the plot in Westeros and the approaching conflict with the Others.

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

We'll never get closure on tons and tons of other interesting stuff. Martin ain't finishing the books and, if he did, he's not capable of wrapping all this other cool poo poo up within 2 books anyway. A lot of the minor book stuff will get swept under the rug and the main characters/plot will converge in basically the same way as the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Basically Martin has written himself into a quagmire around an entirely new set of characters revolving around the Golden Company in the books, whereas in the show they barely matter/don't exist. Related to that, the show basically clown-car'd the entire Dorne plot into "ok whatever they're all dead now" while that shows no signs of slowing down in the books either.

I think this is more the cause of the delay than Martin not working on the books. It lines up with what he's said about the plan for a 5-year time jump in the narrative that he couldn't make work.

Like, you can look at the crazy videos by Preston Jacobs, and a lot of them are based on "Well, this character/house/faction should be focusing on this goal, but instead they're working against it. That means there must be a conspiracy at work!" But the real reason tertiary characters sometimes don't act the way they should is the books have sprawled beyond Martin's control.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is there still a spinoff series being developed, or has waning enthusiasm for last/this season killed it?

Waning enthusiasm?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

Are you kidding me? The show characters are a lovely fanfic of an even shittier fanfic someone wrote about the show. You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story? None of the characters even had any kind of real, sensible character development since the show left the books behind. It's all just a garbled mess

Yes to Cersei. No to the Others. Probably something like it for Littlefingers but it'll be like Sansa and Harry the Heir or Sansa and Robin figuring him out instead of Sansa and Arya. I'm not sure Dany and Jon are going that way in the show even. Whatever happens to the core cast (Starks, Lannisters & Dany) will broadly be how the books would end if the books ever got written.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This show makes HBO so much money they greenlit that stupid loving "Confederate" project just to keep D&D happy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

How does Zerzey end up on the Iron throne?

It's probably gonna be real close to what was on the show, with all the kids dying and Margey blowing up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Jaime's character arc has been so satisfying specifically because of who he was when he started.

Arya, Jon, Dany, they were all pretty innocent and blank when the show started. But Jaime we've seen completely walk the spectrum of alignments.

The Starks arcs are the opposite of Jaime's in the books, but the show has cut that aspect.

Cat is an undead vengeance zombie, Arya is a faceless man. Sansa is a Littlefinger. Rickon is a cannibal. Bran is half tree.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Going onto the Gurm stuff, I feel like it's an unfortunately common trend of a lot of fantasy literature to make leagues and leagues of literature about your particular fantasy universe and then struggle to bring it to an end. I have no idea how many fantasy series just kept going and going and either dragging out plotlines or burdening the world with more and more narratives and stories. First thing that comes to mind is Wheel of Time, where I wasn't even halfway through the first book before realizing there was no way I was going to get through all of that in one lifetime (although to be fair, the author also didn't get through all of it in his own lifetime, either).

I wonder what it is specifically about fantasy authors/novels that makes them so vulnerable to bloat? Does it have to do with the readership? Something about wanting to make the most out of a fantasy world you put effort into crafting? Something else?

I look forward to Brandon Sanderson's Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Naomi Watts and a bunch of people I’ve never heard of repel the original white walker invasion during the long night. I hope there’s something more about it that they’re holding back.

That's disappointing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

What if I told you the White Walkers are an army of big titty bikini babes?

Bikinis? That's not my Game of Thrones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

What happened to those older, gentler days when the biggest problems were dany not having one tit hang out for all of season 2?

:lol: was this actually a complaint? People were saying they should have been real faithful to that part of the book?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Hard to tell how much of that is the writing. She wasn't exactly stellar in her movie roles.

There were also some bad reviews of her in Breakfast at Tiffany's on stage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kit Harrington has gotten better. Maise Williams, Sophie Turner and the kid who plays Bran have all failed to improve in that time, so I guess that's something.

I don't know if Alfie Allen has regressed or it's just that the character has been given absolutely nothing for 3 seasons. He was so good in the first few seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I think Sophie Turner has gotten better, personally, but D&D hosed her character sideways. Maisie has actively gotten worse lmfao but again that could v well be the writing being worse now.

All she does is smirk these days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Stannis getting killed off quite ignomiously and in a similar position to where he was in the books absolutely broke a certain segment of book nerds brains bc of how much time we had all spent collectively analysing that dumb asha/yara chapter from winds of winter and concluding he was pulling a strategic master stroke by positioning himself on a frozen lake in a snow storm

I forgot there used to be people who thought Stannis would win the Battle of Winterfell.

Another dumbass book theory that the show has blown up: Quentyn Martell successfully steals a dragon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sure, he tried to tame a dragon with a whip and he gets engulfed in flames and his last thoughts in the book are how much it sucks to be completely on fire and another character says he died

... but what if ...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

Lmao is this a book only character?

Yes. His chapters rule because he's trying to marry Dany but she doesn't seem to know about the plan to ally with Dorne, so he can't get her attention. His chapters are all him going through the cities that her half-assed style of ruling has ruined.

Another book only character: Victarion Greyjoy. He's an insane pirate with a red priest by his side and a lava hand. He rules. Could have been in the show instead of the Sand Snakes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched the leaked episode. Spoilers it sucks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
All the characters die in Episode 3 and the last episodes are about the Night King's series of land reforms and bureaucratic initiatives that lay the framework for a functional democracy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When exactly was the last time that Tyrion gave good advice anyway?

He was right she shouldn't have burned both the Tarlys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Y'all didn't care when she was merking fools like a ninja, now she's getting some legal strange it's terrible.

It's actually good that she has something she's into aside from murder.

But, come on GoT, it's OK to cut away from a sex scene without any nudity. Lots of shows and movies do it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Gendry and Arya ending up together was telegraphed to hell but I really did not expect an actual sex scene, especially one prefaced by Arya making sure he hasn't slept around too much as if she's making sure she doesn't get chlamydia

Haha, yeah that was exactly the impression I got as well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Young Tormund spinoff

Just him loving bears and nursing from giants and hanging out with his bro with the bone armor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Dany actually loved Daario but I guess he was a boy toy?

He's a loving psycho who always wanted to kill people or get her to kill people. You can't try to be a respectable ruler and keep some dude at court who's always looking to feed people to dragons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Prediction for next episode is that the battle doesn't happen yet and it's actually an extended character piece where we follow only Dany as she goes through great internal strife over her relationship with Jon until she finally spends time with her pervert voyeur dragons and finds out they're okay with it because they're a bunch of sick fucks.

Also it's a musical

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

Hhhmmm feels like they don’t have enough time left to really do this.

6 Feet Under montage where they show how every character dies, except every one of them is burned to death by Dany one by one over the course of several decades

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I would really like to know what the gently caress is so special about the Three-Eyed Raven that the Others can't help but try to kill him. So far, just seems like it's some dude who can see everything. Not sure how that's a big threat to the Others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

It's less about a physical threat (although I guess he does give the living some tactical advantages) but more about the metaphysical/philosophical meaning. The Night King's prime directive is to abolish all life and to have the permanent night like the show mentioned. Humans will come and go but the Three-Eyed Raven is like the one anchor for all of the living. Killing him *and* then killing all the living means he can rule the world forever.

He's the living's version of the Night King.

I suppose that makes sense. We haven't really seen it on the show. I think some flashbacks with the old tree guy foiling the Night King before might have helped.